AVS Forum banner
1M views 6K replies 2K participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·

This thread is for all discussion related to burn in, IR, and break in questions/concerns/info on flat panel TVs. Please post all discussions on this topic in this thread.

With today's new technologies (2007 and beyond) burn in is nearly non-existence if users use common sense. While still possible, it is highly unlikely if common care is used. A lot of newer TV's (i.e. Pioneer's 8th gen sets) have new technologies that help to also prevent IR. Combined with break in and common care/use, IR can be dramatically reduced if not even eliminated completely.

This thread is for the Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays Forum: there is a SEPARATE thread for RPTV

Download Break In DVD (SVCD)

New information added on 12/6/12:

This was from 2007.

"THE REALIZATION of high-quality plasma display panels (PDPs) requires an urgent solution to the image sticking or image retention problems induced in PDP cells after strong sus-tain discharges have been repeatedly produced during a sustain period [1]–[9]. Image retention means temporal image sticking that is easily recoverable through minor treatment, whereas image sticking is permanent and not recoverable even with severe treatment."

As you see, they talk about Image Retention (as we know it) and that is "temporal image sticking" whereas "image sticking" (without a qualifier) is what we here term Burn-in. Now if you read the fix was 100 hours of full white but at a level much higher than we can generate with our TVs. However, what they threw at the tv to get the alleged permanent image sticking (and in the abstract they generated what they believed was permanent image sticking) was 500 hours continuously at an insanely high level (far higher levels than any current plasma can reach even with the smallest of windows). So while a full white screen can get nowhere near the levels what they used for the "fix" by the same token what they used to generate the alleged permanent image sticking is also at a far higher level attainable with our TVs (and this was essentially 3 weeks continuous of the same image (abuse which we could not remotely duplicate in terms of brightness level).

http://pde.knu.ac.kr/publication/recovery%20of%20boundary%20image%20sticking%20using%20aging%20discharge%20in%20AC%20plasma%20display%20panel.pdf

See less See more
#302 ·
I downloaded the Break-In DVD, burned it and now what I get when played on my plasma is, full screen RGB colors that switch every so often.

Is this what's suppose to be on the Break-In DVD. It seems kinda bright with nothing on it but the RGB full screen colors, I thought it would have been some kind of moving picture.

#304 ·
I picked up a returned Pioneer 6070HD for ~$1500 that has some burn-in(?) from playing 2.35 material on it in the store. Can I mitigate the burn-in? Does a free or downloadable anti-2.35 disc exist? Will the Burn-in disc help at all? I wouldn't think so, but I really don't know. I only have about 16 hours (from now) to return it. The panel has about 432 hours on it according to the service menu. Please help!!! Does Pixel Protector work? I have read through this entire thread but I don't see fixes.... just arguments as to whether plasmas suffer from burn-in. Whatever this is, I'd like to get rid of it. I really, really like the picture except for the slightly brighter areas at the top and bottom. It is really only noticeable on solid, bright scenes (a horizon shot, for instance.)

Anywho, thanks for any input!

Thanks.

#307 ·
[ Does Pixel Protector work? I have read through this entire thread but I don't see fixes.... just arguments as to whether plasmas suffer from burn-in.

Thanks.[/quote]

Has anyone used Pixel Protector ? My 4271 goes black whenever I try to use a channell with no signal , it will show "snow " for 10 seconds only. I have run 12 hours of Full Screen HD AND MY GHOSTING IS STILL THERE BRIGHT AS EVER.

#308 ·
Attention New Panasonic Plasma Owners,

I just purchased a 42" Panasonic PZ85U and was half way into the break-in period when I decided to call Panasonic and see if it was completely necessary. I was told directly by Panasonic Canada's phone support that each new Plasma TV gets 100hrs put on it before it leaves the factory thus making further break-in unnecessary. I suppose the extra 50 hrs I gave it will just have to be icing on the cake!

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonik /forum/post/13797909

Attention New Panasonic Plasma Owners,

I just purchased a 42" Panasonic PZ85U and was half way into the break-in period when I decided to call Panasonic and see if it was completely necessary. I was told directly by Panasonic Canada's phone support that each new Plasma TV gets 100hrs put on it before it leaves the factory thus making further break-in unnecessary. I suppose the extra 50 hrs I gave it will just have to be icing on the cake!

Don't kid yourself!, I was told the EXACT same thing by 2 different Panny reps. That they burn in for 100 hours at the factory. Well I decided to check for myself and accessed the system menu that shows how many hours have been put on the set. To my surprise, mine only had 60 hours! all of which had to have been put on by me, as I had the set for 2 weeks at that point.

So the Panny reps are full of ****. I emailed them back expressing how pissed that they would B.S people like that and risk having their customers developing IR because they did not break in the unit as they claimed.

Just thought I would pass that along.

PS: I received NO reply to my email from Panasonic regarding my findings

#311 ·
Have had my 58PZ700u for 11 months (would guess I have ~ 4500 hrs on the set) with no issues (run in standard mode with reasonable contrast/brightness settings). However, about 1 week ago, I started noticing a 4:3 wear pattern. The pattern is noticeable about 10% of material...most notable on light/bright colours...white, sky blue etc. etc. where the sidebars are a bit lighter than the central part of the screen...which appears a bit 'dirtier', but only in direct comparison.

It would appear that the phosphors in the central part of the screen have been subjected to greater wear/use. However, while 4:3 constitutes approx. 50% of my viewing material, I was surprised to see this wear pattern since my cable box always projects the 4:3 side bars as medium gray rather than black (thereby ensuring they're subjected to some wear). The issue is definitely with the panel rather than the cable box, since its reproducable with other sources (HD DVD etc.)

Is there anyway to rectify this? Are there any DVD's etc. that I can run to induce greater wear in the side bars? Is this a mfg defect? Is this something I can follow up w/ Panasonic about and ask for a replacement?

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDOS /forum/post/13805208

Don't kid yourself!, I was told the EXACT same thing by 2 different Panny reps. That they burn in for 100 hours at the factory. Well I decided to check for myself and accessed the system menu that shows how many hours have been put on the set. To my surprise, mine only had 60 hours! all of which had to have been put on by me, as I had the set for 2 weeks at that point.

So the Panny reps are full of ****. I emailed them back expressing how pissed that they would B.S people like that and risk having their customers developing IR because they did not break in the unit as they claimed.

Just thought I would pass that along.

PS: I received NO reply to my email from Panasonic regarding my findings

I would assume if they burn in a TV at the factory, they reset the hour meter, or burn in the panel before it's even installed into the case, to assure it passes Q/C.

If they burned in TV's for 100 hours, and didn't reset the meters, they'd be taking thousands of calls from people pissed they had a "used" TV because the hour meter wasn't at zero. I wouldn't take the fact your hour meter came with "0" on it as meaning it wasn't burned in at the factory.

#313 ·
^^True. Much the same that many car manufacturers break in your engine before installing it in your car. Your odo still reads zero when it comes off the assembly line.

It would be foolish of panasonic to build the tv in its entirety then break it in. This is likely an intermediary process in the assembly.

#314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenjabil /forum/post/13807591

Have had my 58PZ700u for 11 months (would guess I have ~ 3000 hrs on the set) with no issues (run in standard mode with reasonable contrast/brightness settings). However, about 1 week ago, I started noticing a 4:3 wear pattern.

That's really disappointing to read. I've stated before (maybe on this thread?) that I feel uneven wear from 4:3 material is still the biggest danger in regards to burn-in. I assumed the gray bars would eliminate this risk, but I guess not. I doubt Panny would cover that, but it won't hurt to ask.

You may search through the Burn-in thread on the CRT Projection TV's. It seems like I read on there at one time about someone making a static image where the static was just on the sides of the 4:3 that they would run over night with the contrast turned up to even the wear out. What you are going to have to do is display an image on the edges where the bars were, and not in the middle. Maybe a calibrator or someone with more technical knowledge than I will chime in.

#315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottoms /forum/post/13794843

[ Does Pixel Protector work? I have read through this entire thread but I don't see fixes.... just arguments as to whether plasmas suffer from burn-in.

Thanks.

Has anyone used Pixel Protector ? My 4271 goes black whenever I try to use a channell with no signal , it will show "snow " for 10 seconds only. I have run 12 hours of Full Screen HD AND MY GHOSTING IS STILL THERE BRIGHT AS EVER.[/quote]

might be fading ?

#316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer /forum/post/13809026

That's really disappointing to read. I've stated before (maybe on this thread?) that I feel uneven wear from 4:3 material is still the biggest danger in regards to burn-in. I assumed the gray bars would eliminate this risk, but I guess not. I doubt Panny would cover that, but it won't hurt to ask.

You may search through the Burn-in thread on the CRT Projection TV's. It seems like I read on there at one time about someone making a static image where the static was just on the sides of the 4:3 that they would run over night with the contrast turned up to even the wear out. What you are going to have to do is display an image on the edges where the bars were, and not in the middle. Maybe a calibrator or someone with more technical knowledge than I will chime in.

Yes, that is exactly what I need to do...i.e. run a signal (presumably overnight) that induces wear in the side bars, but leaves the middle of the screen black. I assumed I can;t possibly be the only one with this issue and thought a solution such as I've described above may already exist.

Alternatively, I understand that the service mode in this set allows one to tweak the intensity of the side bars to address precisely this issue. I'm able to access the service menu, but the contents are Greek to me. Does anyone know where in the menu I can locate the appropriate menu/submenu.

#317 ·
Where do you find the menu on the 50pz85u that shows how many hours the set has been used. I'm trying to keep track for the break-in period.

#318 ·
As with most gamers who are breaking in a Plasma, I'm DYING to play some video games. I played one game of MLB the Show with the settings cranked way down to the 30s...no IR whatsoever. However, I'm anxious to sit down and have a true gaming session with my setting displayed somewhat normal (40s-50 range, I have a panasonic PX80.

My question, are there any good games on PS3 (or 360) in which I have the option to turn off all of the static images?

#319 ·
My PS3 choice is Call of Duty 4, you can play hardcore online (no HUD). I play some in a zoom mode to move the HUD a little. Played many hours with a well broken in pioneer 4270 and I do have some minor IR (noticable on white screen) and still hoping it will go away. Just have to pay attention to your game play.

#321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlash420 /forum/post/13814306

As with most gamers who are breaking in a Plasma, I'm DYING to play some video games. I played one game of MLB the Show with the settings cranked way down to the 30s...no IR whatsoever. However, I'm anxious to sit down and have a true gaming session with my setting displayed somewhat normal (40s-50 range, I have a panasonic PX80.

My question, are there any good games on PS3 (or 360) in which I have the option to turn off all of the static images?

The COD suggestion was good, if you just play a bunch of online deathmatch type games the HUD will constantly be "interrupted", when you get killed, in the pre-game lobby, etc.

As you've now discovered that a game of MLB won't show up, feel free to play two games. Or play one game with the contrast at 50, etc. Do some experiments to see if there's even anything worth worrying about. One game can't ruin your set
and you may find (as I did with my PX77) that all this break in/IR/gaming stuff is overblown.

jeff

#322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp /forum/post/13815103

The COD suggestion was good, if you just play a bunch of online deathmatch type games the HUD will constantly be "interrupted", when you get killed, in the pre-game lobby, etc.

As you've now discovered that a game of MLB won't show up, feel free to play two games. Or play one game with the contrast at 50, etc. Do some experiments to see if there's even anything worth worrying about. One game can't ruin your set
and you may find (as I did with my PX77) that all this break in/IR/gaming stuff is overblown.

jeff

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunatly I have COD4 on the 360, and for some strange reason I'm having problems with my XBLive account and can't play online right now. I think you're right though...I'll try MLB again and take it from there.

#324 ·
I recently picked up a plasma tv (Maxent MX-42X3 if it matters). It's not an extremely new model, but isn't too old either. I'd estimate that I've put in maybe 300-400 hours into it, so it should be past it's initial break-in period. For gaming, I have my brightness/contrast both turned down to 40%, and I try not play any games for more than an hour or two without switching to something else for the same amount of time.

I never notice any IR problems *except* when I display a completely white screen. Then I'll notice some faint HUD images. If I completely stop playing the game for a week or so, they fade away. When I do notice these faint IR images, is it important for me to completely stop playing the game until they go away, or should I not be worrying about them so much? If I keep playing the same games, will they just keep cumulatively getting worse?

Thanks in advance for help/opinions.

#325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlash420 /forum/post/13815683

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunatly I have COD4 on the 360, and for some strange reason I'm having problems with my XBLive account and can't play online right now. I think you're right though...I'll try MLB again and take it from there.

I'm glad you guys brought up COD4 and gaming- I have a question related directly to that, and I was hoping someone can give me advice.

First, I have the panny 42PX77U model, and I had NO IDEA about breaking it in at all, although I wouldn't say I had the TV on really high settings. On top of that, the sales guy who sold me the TV told me burn in was a thing of the past due to a new technology where the pixels are constantly shuffled around, etc. Don't know if he was full of BS or not.

Well, just recently (I've had the TV for about 30 days now) I've noticed that part of the HUD from COD4 (PS3) is visible on the bottom left of my screen. I can only see it in certain conditions, but it's definitely there. Other things will stay on my screen and disappear later (IR?) but this doesn't disappear even after watching regular TV for several hours.

I feel like I was lied to and ripped off, because I told the guy I would be using the TV for gaming, and he made no mention of breaking it in first, and (apparently) lied about permanent burn in. I only noticed this after playing COD, so I'm going to do other things tonight and let the TV run to see if it clears the HUD image, but if it doesn't, have I suffered permanent damage? is there any way to correct it? And more importantly, is there any way to prevent it from happening again or getting worse?

I can -technically- take the TV back under their 30 day return policy up until tomorrow, and I will if that's the best way to go.

Hoping someone can assist me.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.