Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 173 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5161 of 5522 Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

New forum user here, as well as being a first time plasma tv owner. Nothing fancy, just a budget model from Samsung called PN51F4500, but it continues to impress me one month after purchase.

I'm worried however, like so many others, about this thing called Image Retention and worse yet, I cant help worrying about Burn-in.. however unlikely it is.

Anywho, I've been running slides and watching full screen content for about 350 hours now, and thus begun tweaking with all the picture settings available. There's a good amount of them too, especially coming from a Philips tv which was very barebones in that regard.

Every time I'm in the menu tweaking those settings however, there's a bright HDMI text with a logo in the upper right corner, and now it's left its mark up there.. so to speak. Thats a real bummer as I rather enjoy getting lost in menus chasing that perfect picture ( or as good as it can get without proper tools )!

I've been avoiding the menus as much as I could since then, and I think the mark is fading little by little. It's just such a slow process getting rid of and now I'm mindful whenever I pop up the setup screen! Such a weird choice having that bright source icon up there in the corner too, or anywhere at all, and I dont think I can remove or hide it.

I dont really have any good questions about this, its just the way it is I guess.

Is it a common problem though, having image retention from TV menus/icons and is it important to avoid those menus until the retention I got is completely gone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5522 Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
lol that sucks. Good old Samsung with their daunting menus.

May be in the same spot but I'm not sure, but there is a menu transparency seeing in setup/general, but not sure if it changes the input in the upper right. But you do want to change that anyway so you don't get a menu for IR. Might have to lower the contrast when really messing around in the menus. But try the transparency op potion to see if it changes the input brightness.

Edit: just checked on my LCD, that option just changes the transparency of the Black window part of the menu.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #5163 of 5522 Old 03-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 134
It doesn't. Bright white HDMI stays up there until you exit the menus. Nothing you can do about it.
post #5164 of 5522 Old 03-13-2014, 04:02 PM

I'm not even sure that lowering brightness and contrast does much, or anything at all, to lower the intensity of that HDMI logo. It stays bright and extremely white regardless.

The bane of any plasma TV, and it's there by design? :(

post #5165 of 5522 Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Samsung really sucks in that regard. Does your set have the bulk of the instruction manual in the menus as well?

There may be a seeing in the service menu to adjust that, but I'm not sure. Knowing Samsung it will either be on or off, and you kinda want to know what input your on.

Maybe try tech support through your TV, it's new so I'm assuming it's 'smart' and internet connected so they should be able to remote into it so tough don't have to mess with the service menu because you really don't want to do that, there are a few settings that will brick your TV when you push left or right on a setting thinking it will take you to the next row. (which is so natural that even after drumming it into your head to only navigate with up and down its still easy to slip and hit left or right. )

All the info is in the menu for tech support, tell them your calibrating the TV and ask if anything can be done regarding the active input label.

Steve
post #5166 of 5522 Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowball View Post

I don't really care, I just want the best way to remove IR that tackles the situation other then not looking for it. It appears the pixel flipper is best option though its a slow process

SMFH. Seriously!?!?!? Do you not read!? You know what a thesis statement is but you can't process a few sentences?! Are you doing this to aggravate me? So do you only read the first sentence of a paragraph and skip the rest? From your comments I have to assume that is what you do. Great way to miss everything.

Here, I'll try one more time, picking fragments from my statement. Ignore the F********** IR while WATCHING PROGRAMMING. When not watching programming, RUN THE Fing PIXEL FLIPPER, SLIDES, OR A FULL SCREEN GRAYSCALE WINDOW at an IRE around 60 to 70 to GET RID OF THE PHYSICAL IR!

It can't be put more simply. If you can't ignore IR while watching programming, then please, watch movies or whatever and stare at the IR. Better yet, don't even watch TV while you have IR. Just run the flipper or slides until you're sure it's gone. Then watch a few hours of CNN to get IR back and then turn the flipper on until the IR is gone again. This way you won't have to ever ignore IR. This will be best for you anyway because you can't make the distinction between ignoring something when you can't do anything about it, yet not ignore it when you can do something about it.

Read the entire thread and you'll get the modern advice of pixel flipper, or the older method of a greyscale window. If you come up with something better/faster let us know.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH,...ETC.
I'm out.
Best post ever. You sir have an uncanny knack for stating the obvious. If you pretend something isn't there then you won't see it. I get it. Wow. Profound. How's that different than sticking your head in the sand or putting on blinders again?

PS: I believe IR can be cured, but I'll be damned if I anymore believe in 'unseeing' it as I do in levitation.
post #5167 of 5522 Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Best post ever. You sir have an uncanny knack for stating the obvious. If you pretend something isn't there then you won't see it. I get it. Wow. Profound. How's that different than sticking your head in the sand or putting on blinders again?

PS: I believe IR can be cured, but I'll be damned if I anymore believe in 'unseeing' it as I do in levitation.

Yes, that should be obvious. But obviously it is not, and your posts as well as his concentrate on one aspect instead of both. I've read tons of posts regarding people constantly checking for IR. Then you 2 come along and try to say that I'm telling people to ignore it and it will go away. put blinders on and it will go away.

It's completely different from putting blinders on or getting rid of IR by not looking at it. WHY? Because of the rest of the post that you 2 seem to be putting the blinders on for.

So one more time, yes, put on blinders between your eyes and brain when you're watching TV. Here's the important part, Remove any 'blinders' in your brain when not watching TV and run the flipper our slides.

I really don't understand how it is this hard for guys to understand this.

As for your PS, of course it can be cured, but not by unseeing it. It is cured through the use of measures discussed in this thread (and my post EDIT TO ADD: the part of my post in which I talk about using the electronic measures discussed in this thread, just wanted to make that clear for the people thinking I am advocating surgically implanted IR blinders that are never too be removed). Now you said this yourself, 'if you pretend something isn't there then you won't see it.' Is it not better to do this while watching TV, and then using measures like slides or flippers to cure the IR when not watching TV? This way the IR 'disappears' sooner, I'm not saying its gone, it just seems that way while watching TV, of course you still need to run the flipper our slides to truly get rid of the IR.

Still would you rather see IR until it is completely gone while watching TV, or not see it before its actually gone while watching TV? (even though you can't see it I'm not saying that you should discontinue slides or the flipper.

Does that make any sense to you? Ignore the visual problem, but by no means ignore the fact that IR needs some measures taken to get rid of.

please tell me you see that I'm not advocating getting rid of IR by brainpower alone. In my original post I clearly say that measures such as a flipper must be used to get rid of IR.

If not give me your number so I can try to explain in real time what the reasoning is. Or chat or whatever.

Steve
post #5168 of 5522 Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post

Samsung really sucks in that regard. Does your set have the bulk of the instruction manual in the menus as well?

There may be a seeing in the service menu to adjust that, but I'm not sure. Knowing Samsung it will either be on or off, and you kinda want to know what input your on.

Maybe try tech support through your TV, it's new so I'm assuming it's 'smart' and internet connected so they should be able to remote into it so tough don't have to mess with the service menu because you really don't want to do that, there are a few settings that will brick your TV when you push left or right on a setting thinking it will take you to the next row. (which is so natural that even after drumming it into your head to only navigate with up and down its still easy to slip and hit left or right. )

All the info is in the menu for tech support, tell them your calibrating the TV and ask if anything can be done regarding the active input label.

For someone like me, It would be a bit excessive to fumble around in the service menu, even if it could be turned off and I knew what to look for :/

I've been watching full screen content combined with slides for a total of 30 hours now since I noticed the HDMI logo retention in the corner. It's letting up ever so slowly and not really noticeable on anything but slides. Knowing it's there however, combined with the fact that I'm avoiding using the menu in fear of it regressing, bums me out quite a bit.

post #5169 of 5522 Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hey all, I posted this in the VT60 Deals thread but there hasn't been much activity so I wanted to try this thread since it's more in-line with my question:

I picked up the 65" VT60 last night from Sears for $2099 (display model) and went ahead and got their 3 year extended warranty. I examined the TV for almost an hour before purchasing. There is no burn-in at all, April build date, 2600 hours...brought my flash drive & ran some slides on it to check for IR and ran a couple mp4's on it, everything looked good. Also took a flashlight and checked for cracks, found a 3mm hairline crack but definitely nothing you'd ever notice...so I guess it was a success! Got it home and watched a few minutes of House of Cards and 300 and the picture is astounding on THX Cinema!

My only "concern" I had was that I was surprised at how quickly the panel would IR, like if I was on a menu for 45sec to 1 minute then flipped back to an all gray background (gray screen jpeg), I could faintly see the letters from the menu against the all gray background. I've never experienced that on my 50" ST60 (October build). Sure the IR doesn't stay there long but I was surprised it would happen that quick especially after 2600 hours.

Anyone care to comment on this or am I just being picky? (I have 30 days to return it.)

Thanks!

post #5170 of 5522 Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 609
That kind of short duration IR is normal, congrats !! I found a similar set at HHGregg couple of weeks ago, it does have some minor IR from ESPN.
Cuda1169 likes this.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #5171 of 5522 Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

That kind of short duration IR is normal, congrats !! I found a similar set at HHGregg couple of weeks ago, it does have some minor IR from ESPN.
Agree with Chunon. This is short duration IR and is quickly resolved when viewing other content. Happens on my ST50 all the time. Also any IR that is only visible via color slides and not normal TV viewing is, imo, not an issue.
gus738 likes this.
post #5172 of 5522 Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nice find, the best way to get rid of IR is to pretend it's not there! JK

Pretty normal my ps4 home screen as well as Netflix and Amazon logos tend to linger around a few seconds before disappearing pretty standard. Note sears carries a 15% restocking fee, enjoy your set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn14 View Post

Hey all, I posted this in the VT60 Deals thread but there hasn't been much activity so I wanted to try this thread since it's more in-line with my question:

I picked up the 65" VT60 last night from Sears for $2099 (display model) and went ahead and got their 3 year extended warranty. I examined the TV for almost an hour before purchasing. There is no burn-in at all, April build date, 2600 hours...brought my flash drive & ran some slides on it to check for IR and ran a couple mp4's on it, everything looked good. Also took a flashlight and checked for cracks, found a 3mm hairline crack but definitely nothing you'd ever notice...so I guess it was a success! Got it home and watched a few minutes of House of Cards and 300 and the picture is astounding on THX Cinema!

My only "concern" I had was that I was surprised at how quickly the panel would IR, like if I was on a menu for 45sec to 1 minute then flipped back to an all gray background (gray screen jpeg), I could faintly see the letters from the menu against the all gray background. I've never experienced that on my 50" ST60 (October build). Sure the IR doesn't stay there long but I was surprised it would happen that quick especially after 2600 hours.

Anyone care to comment on this or am I just being picky? (I have 30 days to return it.)

Thanks!
post #5173 of 5522 Old 03-15-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
the tv is honestly new with only a short 2,600 hrs and do not look for ir , is it visable by then? and does this make it a deal breaker ? side note how does the vt compare to the s60 or s64?

i can say this i have an 07 px75u panasonic plasma and at first it would get ir and gaming on it has been better meaning no ir i game hrs

all my plasma i game and watch movies or tv shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn14 View Post

Thanks!

slow ball thats a lie sears does not do 15% restocking fee !

Quote:
slowball Note sears carries a 15% restocking fee, enjoy your set!

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u(r.i.p)Samsung 51f4500
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5174 of 5522 Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Look it up, since you clearly do not know what you're talking about, ignorance isn't an excuse
post #5175 of 5522 Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

im telling you from experience ex employee few years back.

here a quote from sears return policy ,

Restocking Fee, Special Order Cancellation Fee (Not applicable in Hawaii)
A 15% restocking fee is charged on Consumer Electronics returned without the original box, used, or without all of the original product packaging, accessories and parts; mattresses, foundations, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, water heaters, and built-in Home Appliances. Special orders cancelled later than 24 hours after purchase are subject to a 15% order cancellation fee, including special orders on certain automotive merchandise, including special tires and cargo handler tops. Consumer Electronics returned in opened boxes may be, but need not be, determined to have been used.

im not trying to attack im just trying state the fact whenever customers would need return tvs , sears employees on tvs will loose commission and i've seen some co workers getting pissed off thus your restocking fee .

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5176 of 5522 Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 AM

attack you called me a liar secondly you didn't highlight the word USED, once you take it home open and plug it in its now been...

also glenn14 it states the restocking notice on your receipt it's 3/4 of the way down
post #5177 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

i said sears does not do restocking fee , normally we do not. unless customer pissy and did not kept the tv how it came.

here is the website.
Quote:

attack you called me a liar secondly you didn't highlight the word USED, once you take it home open and plug it in its now been...

also glenn14 it states the restocking notice on your receipt it's 3/4 of the way down
and you are correct i did not highlight used i highlighted original box . without an original box the tv has to be sold as display or used even though it is brand new ( for a business this is a loss regardless how big or small sears is.)

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5178 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Liked: 12

Sears receipt just says to check their website for return policies.

Anyway, this TV is amazing! The reason the slight & short IR was happening was partly because the picture mode was on Vivid (not sure how that happened), and because I sit much much closer to this 65" than I do my 50" ST60 downstairs. So I immediately did a factory reset & put the picture mode on THX Cinema. Absolutely gorgeous panel. Can't wait to play Witcher 2 or Skyrim on it! (still gotta hook up my Sony STR-DN840)

Pretty sure I'll be using this TV for a long long time. The Sears 3-year warranty is actually pretty solid, too.

post #5179 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM

post #5180 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

yes i understand "may " be subject its not a guarantee that it will or will not based on your receipt.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5181 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM

may is not subjective in this case, they will charge a restocking fee
post #5182 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Liked: 10
i hope one of you guys can help me. I have a ST60 and I was watching a mix of 4:3 (with black bars) and fullscreen content. I broke-in the plasma for the first 150 hours or so in order to prevent burn in, but I guess I did not realize how much 4:3 content I was watching because now I have 4:3 burn in (in other words, the middle of the tv is darker than the edges). I've only had the tv for about 3 months and probably have about 300 or so hours on it. My question is, how should I best resolve this issue.

Currently, I have my tv now set to stretch 4:3 so this shouldn't be an issue any longer. However, the damage is already done so to speak (even if the burn in is only perceptible when I display a solid color). Because the phosphors age the most in the first 300 hours or so, do you think that the sides of the image will catch up to the rest of the picture so to speak? Or, should I try to age the sides of the panel myself with an image with white side bars and a black middle (essentially reversing what was happening before)?
post #5183 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I imagine with enough full screen content it will even out no problem. Just give it some time.
gus738 likes this.

PSN: RetroGiant
post #5184 of 5522 Old 03-17-2014, 02:59 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. However, I want to let you guys know of something that I thought of. Right now, I switched inputs to an input with no source, set it to 4:3, and set my tv to display gray bars. Essentially, this process reverses what happens when 4:3 content is displayed. I wanted to make this post to help anyone else how may be suffering from 4:3 burn in. In theory, this should be a good way to help even the aging. However, after reading your reply, I think I might do as you suggested and wait a month or so before I try this fix. However, I want to ask has anyone had success in doing what I suggested above?
post #5185 of 5522 Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

yes i understand "may " be subject its not a guarantee that it will or will not based on your receipt.

Quote:

may is not subjective in this case, they will charge a restocking fee

Right from Sears Return Policy page: Restocking Fee, Special Order Cancellation Fee (Not applicable in Hawaii)

A 15% restocking fee is charged on Consumer Electronics returned without the original box, used, or without all of the original product packaging, accessories and parts; mattresses, foundations, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, water heaters, and built-in Home Appliances. Special orders cancelled later than 24 hours after purchase are subject to a 15% order cancellation fee, including special orders on certain automotive merchandise, including special tires and cargo handler tops. Consumer Electronics returned in opened boxes may be, but need not be, determined to have been used. (Emphasis mine.)

While the language of their return policy is pretty clear, what constitutes "used" is discretionary provided the item is returned in its original box.
post #5186 of 5522 Old 03-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Ok well return it and see what happens

I'm just trying to help the guy as I was unaware of their policy when I tried a return. As I said just check your receipt, I'm telling you as an actual customer how they practice their policy. I tried to return a 60ST60 to 3 different sears, they each wanted 15% restocking this was in early February after only owning the tv less then 15 days I was able to sell it on Craigslist so I didn't lose any money but they (electronic and store managers at each location / various Chicago stores we're adamant about collecting for returns)

oh a the tv wasn't missing one item not a piece of plastic, nothing
post #5187 of 5522 Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM

So to stay OffTopic here, had anyone returned stuff to Fry's?

Don't think they knock you with a restocking fee, but they are horrible none the less. Bought a power supply there once that shot sparks out of it when turned on. quite spectacular.

Went in the same day to swap it out for the same exact model. That made what happened next completely stupid. They had to test it before I could get another one. Told them what was going to happen, they didn't listen/care. Brought out a test machine and flipped the switch. I couldn't stop laughing, even after the manager dragged his ass off the floor. There was a big line too, they all got a good light show and a good laugh too.

Steve
post #5188 of 5522 Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM

Liked: 16

Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only

Above is the subject line of this thread.  Some folks here  have lost their way.  ;-)

To the non-videophiles out there:  You don't need no stinking break in slides- with apologies to Treasure of The Sierra Madre fans.  Run HBO for a week- lots of different content, no logos and no news trailers. 

Samsung PN64F8500 Smart TV (64" Plasma-2013); LG BD 390 Blu-ray Player; Denon AVR-1709; Nakamichi MB CD Player; Verizon FiOS Motorola 7 Series Cable Box (500GB Hard Drive).  Pioneer Elite 1120 (5th Generation Plasma- 2005); Denon AVR 2800 (2000); Oppo Blu-ray 103 w/Roku Stick; Sony Carousal CD;...
post #5189 of 5522 Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Nice find, the best way to get rid of IR is to pretend it's not there! JK

Pretty normal my ps4 home screen as well as Netflix and Amazon logos tend to linger around a few seconds before disappearing pretty standard. Note sears carries a 15% restocking fee, enjoy your set!
How long is the image static when you get the few seconds of IR?
post #5190 of 5522 Old 04-05-2014, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmalvr60 View Post

Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only

Above is the subject line of this thread.  Some folks here  have lost their way.  ;-)

To the non-videophiles out there:  You don't need no stinking break in slides- with apologies to Treasure of The Sierra Madre fans.  Run HBO for a week- lots of different content, no logos and no news trailers. 
Yes. I just watched full screen tv shows on netflix. I played infamous second son for 2 hours and no IR afterwards. I was actually surprised. Samsung pn51f5300 1 month old
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page