Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 5364 Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 PM
gdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't know I should have run in (burned in) my brand new Panasonic TCP50ST60 before watching movies in CinemaScope 2.35:1 - 2.40:1. I've probably watched maybe 10 movies with these aspect ratios out of a total of 40-50 hours of mixed viewing. Is it too late to start evenly burning in the screen using looped slides?

Ps. There's no sign of image retention at the top and bottom of the screen (where the black bars would have been).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5364 Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You're good! If you don't see IR there is nothing to worry about. Never have to burn in the TV anyway. Slides just age the TV at an accelerated rate so you can get it calibrated after owning it for the minim period of time.

I'd say you actually made out pretty well. I'm assuming you have been watching regular programming as well? You've watched the least offending content in those movies, only small slivers of black, and because you don't see IR I'm assuming the regular content you watched didn't have a nasty network logo.

Those movies amount to what, 20 hours? Just keep on goin on the way you've been watching. Avoid a lot of letterbox and it's cousin the un stretched 4:3, As well as nasty network logos and tickers. (20 hours isn't really allot)

Watching nothing but letterbox is bad, unless you zoom, and same with network logos.

If you want to get out of the danger zone more quickly, go buy a tactile turtleneck and run slides or a 60-70 IRE greyscale window when your not actively watching TV. I'm also going to guess that you flipped out into movie mode at the very least, or you have turned the contrast down to get it out of torch mode. If you used a cal disc for this, you may want to drop the contrast around 5-15 points when your watching something with a logo. (that's just an estimate, I don't own a copy of your set. Just know you don't have to drop it to the o point of "this picture sucks". These are all just rule of thumb things to do in your first 150-200 hours of use. If you do end up running greyscales go ahead and subtract that time from the 200 hours.

You can take these suggestions with a grain of salt if you like, as you don't have IR from what you've been watching. What I've listed above takes care of the worst offenders, but so does varying the content a lot, which sounds like what you've been doing. Damn, I've been meaning to upload the old avia SD disc to my website. that will give you greyscale and color slides to run through checking for IR, but other than that the greyscale Windows (you have to stretch them for full frame accelerated aging) and learning about home theater is ask the SD disc is good for. You don't want to use the color windows for anything but checking. If you want to "run slides" you would want a source put together just for that purpose. If I get around to uploading avia I'll let you know. In the meantime you'll want to pick up a copy of the Disney WOW disc for front control calibration and the pixel flipper. Out of everything in this plasma thread, I think that's the most universally accepted advice.

As always, you paid what?, a couple grand on something to provide good entertainment? So don't let all the crap I just typed get in the way of your enjoyment of your new set. As you have found, 20 hours of letterbox isn't going to screw your TV. 20 hours of watching the same channel with a nasty logo however, WILL likely get your panties in a twist! biggrin.gif No offense there, just the saying, and we are talking about something you paid a few grand for. So watch smartly and enjoy that baby!

Steve
Cuda1169 likes this.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #5223 of 5364 Old 06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
So now I have 2630 hours on my Samsung PN60F8500 (owned it since last July), and decided to run color slides to catch any hints of IR. The bottom right corner seems to be a bit "messy," but there's definitely nothing clear to make out, nor would it every be obtrusive. I was thinking: "So far, so good." Then I noticed it... the letters 'CSN' representing Comcast SportsNet in the upper left corner, and an NBC-like logo above it. It's a part of the score bug for Giants baseball games, and I watch every one of their games. It shows up for at least 2.5 hours a game for over 100 games in that time frame... so we're looking at at least 250 hours with that logo showing up there. That's like 10% of my viewing. No wonder it's up there!

Granted, I've never noticed it before and it's not that obvious. It took some squinting to recognize that it was there. But alas, I have recognized my first bit of uneven wear on this set, after claiming for a long time that uneven wear almost appeared to be nonexistent on it. I suppose I was wrong.

Just a heads up for the masses out there. Again, nothing bad and I won't change viewing habits, but I might run the WOW pixel flipper a bit more to see if I can remedy it. Mark down June 2nd to see how long this might take, for those who were interested.
post #5224 of 5364 Old 06-02-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Im about to purchase my first Brand New plasma and am wondering about if this is necessary, and if so what does it do for me (the plasma panel)? And what is the easiest way to go about doing it if I should?

Thanks!

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #5225 of 5364 Old 06-02-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Opinions vary but I have also just used conservative setting for the first 100 hours or so, mix up content. If you are trying to age it faster for a professional calibration use slides otherwise its pretty simple in my experience smile.gif
Iceberg86300 likes this.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5226 of 5364 Old 06-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
TC-P55ST60 Image Retention

So I have seen pretty drastic change in my TC-P55ST60's susceptibility to image retention over the past month or so.

I bought it in mid-January. When I first plugged it in, I set the picture to the settings from the ST60 review by David K at Cnet. I dialed back the contrast to 65 and left on the "ECO" option that dims the panel constantly. I didn't change any settings for the first 2 months and just watched TV as I normally would. I had zero issues with any image retention even when searching for it using the screen wipe feature.

After the first 2 months, I turned the contrast up to 79 and turned off the eco option. Still didn't have any issues with image retention. During both these settings periods, I watched a ton of sports with static logos and graphics for 2-3 hours at a time. No issues. I'd also play some heavy gaming sessions for 2-3 hours at a time and no issues with HUDs and image retention.

Then one day in about early June, I turned the TV on and pulled up my cable guide for 10 seconds or so then exited it, and noticed some faint image retention from the white text against the dark background of the guide that went away about 10 minutes after. This kept happening every time I turned the TV on, any "static" image that was there when it first turned on would stick for 10 minutes or so. This included 4:3 bars, on-screen channel guide, and even some static scene background that wasn't moving during an episode of Family Guy. This only happened as soon as I turned the TV on.Somewhere around this time, I watched a baseball game for an hour straight and now have the network logo visible on any light screen on the TV.

I really have to pay attention to what I watch now. It's still really bad when I turn the TV on, I have to make sure I shut the TV off with HBO as the last channel so that I get a full-screen, no logo image when I turn it back on. I also cannot watch any sports or other content with any static graphics for more than 10 minutes without getting image retention, so I have to sidecut-zoom the aspect ratio and hope that its enough to not show any of the graphics.

Changing the contrast ratio doesn't have any effect. I get the same behavior in the same time whether the contrast is at 30 or 79. I have never gone above 79 contrast.

Has this happened to anyone else, where you have zero issues for the first few months then all of a sudden image retention becomes a problem? This seems like the opposite of what the norm is, where the TV most susceptible with very few viewing hours on it, then gradually gets more stable.

The retention does not really affect the picture, as its only visible in very light scenes, but I am constantly worrying about any static image on the screen and how long displaying it is too long before the image WILL begin to affect my normal view. I am scared to watch blu-rays or any non-16:9 movies now out of fear of the black bars being retained.

I'm a first-time plasma owner and bought this TV based on every website review I read touting the picture quality and plasma image retention not being an issue anymore. I'm almost ready to buy a different TV and do something with this one, out of fear that this will continue to get worse.
post #5227 of 5364 Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
That's very strange that it's getting worse over time. Technically, mine might be getting worse over time as well because of my reports, but I think I'm actually just aware that my TV can get it now is all.

I don't think my TV's IR habits have changed at all since getting it, though.
post #5228 of 5364 Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk6698 View Post
So I have seen pretty drastic change in my TC-P55ST60's susceptibility to image retention over the past month or so.

I bought it in mid-January. When I first plugged it in, I set the picture to the settings from the ST60 review by David K at Cnet. I dialed back the contrast to 65 and left on the "ECO" option that dims the panel constantly. I didn't change any settings for the first 2 months and just watched TV as I normally would. I had zero issues with any image retention even when searching for it using the screen wipe feature.

After the first 2 months, I turned the contrast up to 79 and turned off the eco option. Still didn't have any issues with image retention. During both these settings periods, I watched a ton of sports with static logos and graphics for 2-3 hours at a time. No issues. I'd also play some heavy gaming sessions for 2-3 hours at a time and no issues with HUDs and image retention.

Then one day in about early June, I turned the TV on and pulled up my cable guide for 10 seconds or so then exited it, and noticed some faint image retention from the white text against the dark background of the guide that went away about 10 minutes after. This kept happening every time I turned the TV on, any "static" image that was there when it first turned on would stick for 10 minutes or so. This included 4:3 bars, on-screen channel guide, and even some static scene background that wasn't moving during an episode of Family Guy. This only happened as soon as I turned the TV on.Somewhere around this time, I watched a baseball game for an hour straight and now have the network logo visible on any light screen on the TV.

I really have to pay attention to what I watch now. It's still really bad when I turn the TV on, I have to make sure I shut the TV off with HBO as the last channel so that I get a full-screen, no logo image when I turn it back on. I also cannot watch any sports or other content with any static graphics for more than 10 minutes without getting image retention, so I have to sidecut-zoom the aspect ratio and hope that its enough to not show any of the graphics.

Changing the contrast ratio doesn't have any effect. I get the same behavior in the same time whether the contrast is at 30 or 79. I have never gone above 79 contrast.

Has this happened to anyone else, where you have zero issues for the first few months then all of a sudden image retention becomes a problem? This seems like the opposite of what the norm is, where the TV most susceptible with very few viewing hours on it, then gradually gets more stable.

The retention does not really affect the picture, as its only visible in very light scenes, but I am constantly worrying about any static image on the screen and how long displaying it is too long before the image WILL begin to affect my normal view. I am scared to watch blu-rays or any non-16:9 movies now out of fear of the black bars being retained.

I'm a first-time plasma owner and bought this TV based on every website review I read touting the picture quality and plasma image retention not being an issue anymore. I'm almost ready to buy a different TV and do something with this one, out of fear that this will continue to get worse.
That seems to be an odd situation. I would contact Panasonic to see what assistance they can provide.

fdsfds
post #5229 of 5364 Old 06-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk6698 View Post

Then one day in about early June, I turned the TV on and pulled up my cable guide for 10 seconds or so then exited it, and noticed some faint image retention from the white text against the dark background of the guide that went away about 10 minutes after. This kept happening every time I turned the TV on, any "static" image that was there when it first turned on would stick for 10 minutes or so.
Did you perform a firmware update around this time by any chance?

This seems similar to what some people experienced after meeting with their kuro sets. Ever been in the service menu? (Hopefully not for warranty claim)

There are a ton of voltage settings, and settings / algorithms that affect these voltages directly and indirectly. A bug could have been introduced somewhere by firmware, or front panel settings, or a physical electrical / electrical signal problem in the components.

It only takes one bit. Firmware MAY fix it, but I wouldn't do that just yet.

You definitely want to get in touch with Panny, you're still in warranty and can reproduce the problem easily. could end up with new electronics and if that fixes the issue, a new a panel as well.

Regards,
Steve

Steve

Last edited by Iceberg86300; 06-22-2014 at 08:43 AM.
post #5230 of 5364 Old 06-22-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need help? I bought a tcp60zt60 I never broke it in properly my fault my first plasma. I am a gamer and now I have some ghosting in the corners were the game hub would be. I dont know how long they have been there. I do know I have had the tv about 4 months now. I have been running a screen fixer for plasmas on youtube for about two days now it is lightning up a bit but will it ever go away? Id hate to spend 3 grand on a tv that has this. I only see it on light colors not when im watching movies. Any suggestions? I can post pictures if needed or if you guys need more info let me know. Also how long could it take to remove this if it can be removed or am I doing this all in vain. Heeeeelllllllppppppp.

Last edited by Jarad Goldstein; 06-22-2014 at 12:58 PM.
post #5231 of 5364 Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 266
both my plasmas(65vt30 and 55st50) have burn in
my wife watches the ID channel(every show is basically wives killing husbands), both tv have the logos burned in
my st50 is more severe
i had some Call of duty IR, but it seems to have gone away as I havent played it in a long time

hoping my OLED doesnt get ir/burn in, so far, so good
post #5232 of 5364 Old 06-27-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
both my plasmas(65vt30 and 55st50) have burn in
my wife watches the ID channel(every show is basically wives killing husbands), both tv have the logos burned in
my st50 is more severe
i had some Call of duty IR, but it seems to have gone away as I havent played it in a long time

hoping my OLED doesnt get ir/burn in, so far, so good

I have the 55st50.............with the Nat Geo Wild logo burn-in.

Last edited by iketech; 06-27-2014 at 04:52 PM.
post #5233 of 5364 Old 06-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
whats the latest break in disc I should use with a modern plasma? the disc from Evangelo has only 720p resolution images(?), is that one still suitable?
post #5234 of 5364 Old 07-06-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

Well, I've had this TV for a few months. I burned it in properly with full screen content, no captioning-- and never cranked brightness or contrast.

Since the burn-in, I've been watching a lot of Netflix via the built-in client in the TV, mostly with CC on.
Today, I pulled up some content that had a white screen, and noticed something horrifying-- Two faint, thick, blurry magenta bars 3/4 down my screen, centered, that fade off on the edges.

It's the damn captioning area, those bright yellow captions must have burned the pixels in that area. I also have a theory that when you use smart-tv apps, the pixel orbiter doesn't work, but that wouldn't help a lot here. Either way, Netflix must also always center their captions on fixed rows.

I watched about 5 hours of other content on VIVID (a setting I never use typically) and the bars appear a *little* fainter, but are still quite visible. (Now that I know they're there, I see them occasionally when watching actual content)

How screwed am I? Any chance this will go away completely? You can't even get these sets anymore...
Sorry, but I feel like the CC decoder BUILT INTO THE TV'S Netflix App should attempt to render captions in a plasma-safe way.

I should have been more cautious, I guess, but I babied the set pretty hard in the beginning. I'm pretty livid at the moment.

You can see what I'm talking about in the following picture, despite some other artifacts that are caused by trying to photograph the TV: http://imgur.com/cRKgSH5
post #5235 of 5364 Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bus View Post
Hi all,

Well, I've had this TV for a few months. I burned it in properly with full screen content, no captioning-- and never cranked brightness or contrast.

Since the burn-in, I've been watching a lot of Netflix via the built-in client in the TV, mostly with CC on.
Today, I pulled up some content that had a white screen, and noticed something horrifying-- Two faint, thick, blurry magenta bars 3/4 down my screen, centered, that fade off on the edges.

It's the damn captioning area, those bright yellow captions must have burned the pixels in that area. I also have a theory that when you use smart-tv apps, the pixel orbiter doesn't work, but that wouldn't help a lot here. Either way, Netflix must also always center their captions on fixed rows.

I watched about 5 hours of other content on VIVID (a setting I never use typically) and the bars appear a *little* fainter, but are still quite visible. (Now that I know they're there, I see them occasionally when watching actual content)

How screwed am I? Any chance this will go away completely? You can't even get these sets anymore...
Sorry, but I feel like the CC decoder BUILT INTO THE TV'S Netflix App should attempt to render captions in a plasma-safe way.

I should have been more cautious, I guess, but I babied the set pretty hard in the beginning. I'm pretty livid at the moment.

You can see what I'm talking about in the following picture, despite some other artifacts that are caused by trying to photograph the TV: http://imgur.com/cRKgSH5
Doesn't really look bad. How long did you "burn in" the set and how long have captions been on? Guesstimate.

When being so judicious about not watching any programming that contains stuff that can cause IR you should have tuned the bight & contrast to test disc levels.

If you have a test disc throw up a 70 IRE greyscale slide when not watching the TV. Pixel flipper could be used as well/instead if you have the disc.

That should make it so it's not noticeable in not to much time. Then you may want to decrease the contrast a bit if you'll be watching a lot of the CC stuff.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #5236 of 5364 Old 07-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Hi all,

The IR is really not that bad. You could try a pixel flipper. I recommend the Disney WoW pixel flipper and run it whenever you are not watching the panel. It may take a while but it will eventually fade just with watching other varied content. The pixel flipper with just speeds up the process.

Good luck.
post #5237 of 5364 Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I'm copying this post I made earlier from a different IR thread. I'm not sure how this is going to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post
Is the Clean Screen utility referenced in the first URL similar to the Disney WOW Pixel Flipper? I purchased a demo 55" VT60, which I realize is not the TV in question, and it has some static logo/scroller IR along the bottom of the screen. I'm hoping it's not actual burn in. Anyway, I can run the utility referenced in the first URL via a web browser on the TV and just curious if it's similar to other tools I've seen referenced. My TV seems to have a screen saver which kicks in after a couple of minutes when browsing, which kind of defeats the purpose, and I'm not sure whether it can be disabled.
post #5238 of 5364 Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I'm copying this post I made earlier from a different IR thread. I'm not sure how this is going to look.

Is the Clean Screen utility referenced in the first URL similar to the Disney WOW Pixel Flipper? I purchased a demo 55" VT60, which I realize is not the TV in question, and it has some static logo/scroller IR along the bottom of the screen. I'm hoping it's not actual burn in. Anyway, I can run the utility referenced in the first URL via a web browser on the TV and just curious if it's similar to other tools I've seen referenced. My TV seems to have a screen saver which kicks in after a couple of minutes when browsing, which kind of defeats the purpose, and I'm not sure whether it can be disabled.
Not sure on the tools, but this is a common problem. Most flippers aren't video, but java or flash or whatever. Because it's not video you can't put it on a loop, and a lot of dvd players will auto off or Screensaver on you. I believe there is a thread listing BD players and whetheror not the timeout function can be disabled. Quick search should bring it up, or someone may have the name offhand.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #5239 of 5364 Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I ran the screen wiper today for 12+ hours. I'm not sure I can tell any difference, but maybe it's a little better. Just to add some info pertinent to my set, it is a 55" VT60 floor model that was a purchased about 1 week ago from a friend that owns a small electronics store in my hometown. There is a sticker on the back of the set that seems to indicate it was manufactured in July 2013. He estimated that the set had between 100-300 hours on it, but when I checked via the menu it was just over 1,000. I have some IR on the bottom of the screen where news scrollers and static logos are generally positioned. It's not terrible, but it bothers me nonetheless. I'm hoping it's not actual burn in, and that I can eventually get rid of it. Otherwise, the picture looks great to me. On the bright side, my fans might be more difficult to detect than the Red October.
post #5240 of 5364 Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 AM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I ran the screen wiper today for 12+ hours. I'm not sure I can tell any difference, but maybe it's a little better. Just to add some info pertinent to my set, it is a 55" VT60 floor model that was a purchased about 1 week ago from a friend that owns a small electronics store in my hometown. There is a sticker on the back of the set that seems to indicate it was manufactured in July 2013. He estimated that the set had between 100-300 hours on it, but when I checked via the menu it was just over 1,000. I have some IR on the bottom of the screen where news scrollers and static logos are generally positioned. It's not terrible, but it bothers me nonetheless. I'm hoping it's not actual burn in, and that I can eventually get rid of it. Otherwise, the picture looks great to me. On the bright side, my fans might be more difficult to detect than the Red October.
The screen wipe does nothing for my ST50, only a pixel flipper like the ones you listed above do anything for my IR. Plus my screen wiper times out after 15 minutes. I keep an old blu ray player around for use with my Disney WoW pixel flipper.
post #5241 of 5364 Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So many ppages...
Where is the basic guide?
post #5242 of 5364 Old 07-10-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
So many ppages...
Where is the basic guide?
I think it has evolved. Just peruse the last couple pages, plus go back far enough to where someone threw up his own pixel flipper. Sorry, can't remember the name, but there are a few big (long boring) posts by me asking about it. Plus an epic "the best way not notice IR is not to go looking for it" battle after I explained that is better not to go putting up slides specifically to find IR that quite possible nobody else will ever see on your set.

Or ask a question! N nobody bites.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #5243 of 5364 Old 07-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi all,

I have had the same issue on my television a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50. About a year ago two bars (not 3 like yours) showed up in exactly the same place. It seems like permanent burn in as it did not go away. AFter about 8 months of watching i had forgotten about it and looked at a solid color screen again...seems to be nearly gone with the faintest sign of it if you do a gray scale full screen. This is not a burn in that makes a huge difference when watching normal content, except in certain circumstances with solid colors. I would just try to forget about it until it eventually goes away.

EDIT: Realize yours are 2 bars too. The subtitle thing makes sense to me...i have started using mostly plex with large subtitles with no boxes so that could be the solution. I was super ocd about the burn in but it really is difficult to notice in most situations and my wife never saw it.

Last edited by mcrommert; 07-10-2014 at 07:03 AM.
post #5244 of 5364 Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I know one way get rid of burn-ins a lot folks don't want to listen.
post #5245 of 5364 Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Let's hear it!

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #5246 of 5364 Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Getting rid of the plasma doesn't count...

Question,
After 100-200 hours of phosphor settling, can I mainly watch 2.39:1 without having to babysit my TV?
I really hate the idea that I need to be THAT careful, and counting non-fullscreen hours etc,.
post #5247 of 5364 Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Question,
After 100-200 hours of phosphor settling, can I mainly watch 2.39:1 without having to babysit my TV?
I really hate the idea that I need to be THAT careful, and counting non-fullscreen hours etc,.
Can't say you'll never have a problem because I don't know if you are going to only watch black bar movies but in my opinion:

You'll be fine. Problems only arise when viewing isn't varied, playing games for extended periods, or watching channels with nasty logos for extended periods. Oh, and if you have the set in torch mode.

If you watch widescreen movies 75% of viewing time you'll likely get IR. Any of the above for 25-50% of viewing time will likely leave you with IR.

I petty much pulled those #s out of thin air. It will depend on your actual viewing time. 7.5 hours of 2.39 and 2.5 hours of 16x9 in a week wouldn't make anything noticeable. 75 and 25 hours in a week and you'll probably notice something, but a pixel flipper when not watching, and watching mainly 16x9 would get rid of it in short order.

Same for the other stuff, but the smaller % serves to show that anything static WITHIN the picture (game HUDs, logos) will cause artifacts with severity depending on the opacity/brightness of the static image. Less opaque = more danger, brighter, in general, and brighter than the rest of the picture = more danger.

Absolute worst is if you're watching widescreen with black bars on a cable channel with a logo in the black bar area. Few hours here and there is no problem, watching the ID channel 8 hours a day and you'll have a problem. Check recent posts (maybe the last 50?) for factual info on the ID channel and others. You can search the thread for "killing" and "husband" or "husband's" or "husbands". Don't need quotes, just make sure to use the "all words" or whatever option and pick one of the husband variants. (Not sure how the search function handles variations of words.)

Here's the post http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/949107-master-burn-ir-break-thread-part-ii-all-posts-here-only-175.html#post25193737

Read around those posts.

Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Iceberg86300; 07-10-2014 at 11:53 PM.
post #5248 of 5364 Old 07-11-2014, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question,
Change your power supply to your TV and change power outlets in your house plus I have two plasma TV's.
post #5249 of 5364 Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Change your power supply to your TV and change power outlets in your house plus I have two plasma TV's.
TV power supply? Or the 110 feeding it? Just for clean power?

Don't know how that would help burn in, voltages are pretty well regulated inside as far as most DC voltages, well, if the power supply is of sufficient quality. They pretty much all make noise of they are switch mode though.

It's a very common practice in the hifi world to run power from a completely seperate breaker though. AC gets pretty noisy in a house with all the electronics plugged in. Acceptable voltage a also varies more than one would think. Even running a seperate circuit isn't usually enough for hifi gear, usually is seperate circuit + how much you want to spend on a power conditioner/block. Amps and other audio stuff that tap right off the transformers can have quite a difference if the power was really dirty before hand.

So what's the deal? All I've talked about is basic stuff, but don't even know what you mean by changing the power supply lol. Plus why all the outlets in the house? Anything special? What does that give you?

Details!

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #5250 of 5364 Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
TV power supply? Or the 110 feeding it? Just for clean power?

Don't know how that would help burn in, voltages are pretty well regulated inside as far as most DC voltages, well, if the power supply is of sufficient quality. They pretty much all make noise of they are switch mode though.

It's a very common practice in the hifi world to run power from a completely seperate breaker though. AC gets pretty noisy in a house with all the electronics plugged in. Acceptable voltage a also varies more than one would think. Even running a seperate circuit isn't usually enough for hifi gear, usually is seperate circuit + how much you want to spend on a power conditioner/block. Amps and other audio stuff that tap right off the transformers can have quite a difference if the power was really dirty before hand.

So what's the deal? All I've talked about is basic stuff, but don't even know what you mean by changing the power supply lol. Plus why all the outlets in the house? Anything special? What does that give you?

Details!

Regards,
Steve
To be honest Steve I did not believe this myself till one of my friends did a demo. over my house, I was shock, So I got dedicated 20 amp line with Furutech power outlets with in 4 weeks my burn-ins went away on my screen I have a clear crisp picture now, this is step 2 and I have 4 more to go anything else I pm you.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page