Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've got a Panasonic TC-P42S2 that I must have bought sometime in 2010. Just out of curiosity, I checked it this morning for burn-in and/or IR. All I was able to use was the built in screen wiper tool, which I didn't even know it had until just recently. I saw nothing. I never did anything with this TV other than plug it in and start using it. I've gamed on this thing, watched all kinds of content etc., much of which I'm sure had static logos on the screen. It's kind of disappointing to find out that their newer plasma displays are so susceptible to this issue. I never even took that into consideration prior to purchasing the 55" VT60 from my friend. I just assumed it wasn't something I needed to worry about. I wish I had spent a bit of time researching prior to purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok, so I'm going to grab a new plasma next week and wanting to prepare for it and get some burn-in slides ready. I downloaded the linked slides in post #1 of this thread (Evangelo's slides). Do I just put them on a loop and run them for a 100 hours? Is that it? Any settings need to be tweaked on the TV when running the slides? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post
Ok, so I'm going to grab a new plasma next week and wanting to prepare for it and get some burn-in slides ready. I downloaded the linked slides in post #1 of this thread (Evangelo's slides). Do I just put them on a loop and run them for a 100 hours? Is that it? Any settings need to be tweaked on the TV when running the slides? Thanks!
Yep you can run them in a loop to assist with phosphor aging. Some people will also djust the brightness and contrast down a bit. You can also just watch as much full screen/logo free content as possible for the first 100-200hrs. For my panel, I ran the slides for two weeks straight whenever I was not using it. So I used a combo of actually watching the panel and using color slides for the first 336 hours. I then had my panel (ST50) professionally calibrated and it looks great.

Congrats and Enjoy your Panel.
Thunder_God_Thor likes this.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 AM

Is this implying that displaying a static white image might reduce, or eliminate, permanent IR or burn?

http://pde.knu.ac.kr/publication/rec...ay%20panel.pdf
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post
Yep you can run them in a loop to assist with phosphor aging. Some people will also djust the brightness and contrast down a bit. You can also just watch as much full screen/logo free content as possible for the first 100-200hrs. For my panel, I ran the slides for two weeks straight whenever I was not using it. So I used a combo of actually watching the panel and using color slides for the first 336 hours. I then had my panel (ST50) professionally calibrated and it looks great.

Congrats and Enjoy your Panel.
Thanks Cuda! Sounds like a plan to me. Im thinking the same thing, run the slides when Im not watching the TV. Thanks for the reply again Although Im thinking now, how would I put the slides on a loop from a thumb drive as there just images (how long should each image display before moving on to the next one)?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post
Thanks Cuda! Sounds like a plan to me. Im thinking the same thing, run the slides when Im not watching the TV. Thanks for the reply again Although Im thinking now, how would I put the slides on a loop from a thumb drive as there just images (how long should each image display before moving on to the next one)?
My Panny ST50 has a repeat setting that plays the images in a loop from my thumb drive. I can also set the image display interval to slow, medium or fast. I used the slow interval during my panel's soft aging process so each color was displayed decent period of time.
Thunder_God_Thor likes this.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
My Panny ST50 has a repeat setting that plays the images in a loop from my thumb drive. I can also set the image display interval to slow, medium or fast. I used the slow interval during my panel's soft aging process so each color was displayed decent period of time.
Ah k, well Ill see if my TV has something similar when I get it next week (Samsung). If not, Ill have to figure out another way to put the images on a slideshow at slow speed.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Is this implying that displaying a static white image might reduce, or eliminate, permanent IR or burn?

http://pde.knu.ac.kr/publication/rec...ay%20panel.pdf
Didn't read the whole paper, but from abstract and summary this follows for what I was taught during my ISF cert class in 07. But not really for burn in. If you truly burn an image then it is not image retention. The effects may be reduced for burn in, but if you want to get rid of it completely you need to buy a new a set [emoji6] .

This is more for seasoning a new TV to reduce the chances of burn to a degree more than the technology has, greatly reducing the chances of IR, and getting rid of accidental IR.

I'll read through the whole paper and get back to you to confirm or deny what I have stated.

Regards,
Steve

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Old 08-21-2014, 12:36 PM

Is it true that, in comparison to the VT60, the ZT60 display contains no MgO, or magnesium oxide, making it less susceptible to burn in or IR? I remember reading that somewhere, but just wondered if anyone could confirm.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Is it true that, in comparison to the VT60, the ZT60 display contains no MgO, or magnesium oxide, making it less susceptible to burn in or IR? I remember reading that somewhere, but just wondered if anyone could confirm.
Can't help you on that one. Sounds like inside info someone could could loose their job over. Someone may have let it slip though. In any case, I would assume that would be a selling point, only there wouldn't be talk about MgO, just less IR. Of course that would imply a problem with the VT, so I really don't know.

Still gotta read that paper.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
Old 08-22-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
Can't help you on that one. Sounds like inside info someone could could loose their job over. Someone may have let it slip though. In any case, I would assume that would be a selling point, only there wouldn't be talk about MgO, just less IR. Of course that would imply a problem with the VT, so I really don't know.

Still gotta read that paper.

Regards,
Steve
This is where I saw the comment about the ZT60 not using MgO.

ZT60 vs VT60
Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
This is where I saw the comment about the ZT60 not using MgO.

ZT60 vs VT60
Heh, one post that wasn't even acknowledged by anyone in thread. I would dismiss it as of now, until you see it from another source, if that ever happens.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Burn-in is still a major problem unfortunately. Watched about 400-500 hours with low-contrast, low brightness settings or our main basement unit - Samsung PN51E550 and about three months ago we noticed the ESPN logo form the ticker, Xbox One logo, and various horizontal lines visible on all white to gray images. Had to replace with an LED which is a huge bummer because the PQ on the plasma was the best I've ever seen.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:00 PM

When I turned my TV on this morning, I could see IR on my 55" VT60 from the Vierra logo that comes up when the set is powered on. It seemed to go away pretty quickly, but that still seems a bit messed up to me honestly.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've had mine for over 7 months now and I see the same thing. I'm not worried as it is not permanent. These 3D panels are more susceptible than previous ones.

My 2007 1080p (non-3D) panel never had this issue. 3D is the reason from what I've read.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Panasonic Plasma TC-P50GT30 with 2200 hours counted on it.
I think i may have a burn in. I can barely see a logo in the bottom right of the screen.
Since I'm not the 1st user on it, i don't know since when this occurred.
Do you think it's still possible to recover from this or not ?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterkiller1983 View Post
I have a Panasonic Plasma TC-P50GT30 with 2200 hours counted on it.
I think i may have a burn in. I can barely see a logo in the bottom right of the screen.
Since I'm not the 1st user on it, i don't know since when this occurred.
Do you think it's still possible to recover from this or not ?
Should be fine, just stay away from the logo a bit and watch fullscreen content at higher contrast settings. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had all kinds of things on my screen that disappear with a little time. I do t hold back from watching any content on my 3 year old 65VT30. After watching the NFL Draft for several days this year, I had the ESPN logo on my screen for a couple of days after. They always go away.

fdsfds
Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
When I turned my TV on this morning, I could see IR on my 55" VT60 from the Vierra logo that comes up when the set is powered on. It seemed to go away pretty quickly, but that still seems a bit messed up to me honestly.
That is normal for a cold plasma when booting up. My ST50 does it but the logo is gone very quickly. Also my pdp seems very resistant to IR once it has been warmed upped for 30min or more.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
That is normal for a cold plasma when booting up. My ST50 does it but the logo is gone very quickly. Also my pdp seems very resistant to IR once it has been warmed upped for 30min or more.
Another reason to warm up your set! Minimum time for calibration is 30 minutes, but I usually tell people an hour. Sometimes get a frantic call that people forget. I tell them before hand $100 bucks an hour for me to watch their TV warm up to try to get them to remember. Then I have to calm them down, depending on the set and time of cal I can be taking before readings in 10 minutes, but tell them I'll drag it out and ask for a house tour to get at least 30 minutes, but like I said, an hour is what I shot for.

Regards,
Steve
Cuda1169 likes this.

Steve
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bonzo2014
Quote:
I have the same set and same problem with the Smart Viera logo and also the program guide. Haven't heard the 'cold set' explanation before so will investigate that.
My set has over 1500 hours on it, brightness is at 0, contrast at 50. The IR issue has only become apparent in the last 2-3 weeks.....
I checked my PS3 display settings last night and the Super White setting was 'on'. I'd been playing a lot of Uncharted 2 and Wipeout in a timeframe that correlates to my noticing the IR. Other than the recent Unchartered/Wipeout binge, I've not played multiple hours of PS3 since last January. Other than the odd Blu Ray movie.
Obviously the PS3 can't directly cause IR on startup logos or program guides, but perhaps it's made the set more susceptible overall? The TV was set on 70 contrast and +5 brightness on the HDMI used for PS3 (the other contrast and brightness setting quoted above are for all other channels, xbox 360, fta, home theatre).
Anyone have and experience with similar? Need to determine cause first then rectify longer.
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 88
^It's more likely that your set's susceptibility to IR hasn't changed at all, but your recognition of it has. Your set will always get IR no matter what you do, just be confident in the fact that it will go away with time. I watch sports all day during football season and have had all kinds of IR from it, but it always goes away.
Cuda1169 likes this.

fdsfds
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bonzo2014
That's a possibility, I wouldn't have considered that as I usually notice visual differences and changes pretty quickly, but I'll certainly keep it in mind.
Good news is that the IR has been removed by about 80% just using the scrolling bar for 4-5 hours over the last week.
I'd prefer not to have to have the issue, but the small amount of occasional maintenance required (to this point) is worth it for the spectacular PQ :-)
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Hello friends,

Recently got a 60 inch Sammy plasma and I got so excited the first couple of weeks that I couldn't wait to watch all my favorite Blu Ray movies in 1:85 aspect ratio, despite AVS users advising against it during the break in period.

I only watched black bar movies as an extension to my usual 16:9 content, but in the past 2 weeks of owning it I have viewed:

- Kingdom of Heaven
- Blade Runner
- The Dark Knight
- Wanted
- The Mummy
- V for Vendetta
- Troy

All with black bars....now I am not sure where I am in the 100-200 hour period, but let's say on average I watched it 5 hours a day...so I currently have 70 hours clocked in.

What is the best course of action to take from now on? I have noticed black bars burned into the plasma after watching a movie but they are only noticeable on a solid black background and after switching to a full screen source they disappear. I have noticed no burn-in or IR aside from that and am under the impression that this current F5500 Sammy handles it well.

Do I run the color slides from now on? Do I run the scrolling grey black bars from the TV settings menu? Do I continue watching 1:85 movies as I please?

Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

AmusedGoat,
Sounds like your panel is fine if the black bars are not visible when watching normal full screen content. Perhaps I misunderstood what you are trying to convey. If you are noticing residual black bars under normal viewing you can just watch as much full screen logo free content as possible. You can also use a pixel flipper like the one found on the Disney WoW bluray disc, this is the one I use and it works. But honestly, watching logo free full screen content works just as well.

Good luck and enjoy your panel.
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quote:
AmusedGoat,
Sounds like your panel is fine if the black bars are not visible when watching normal full screen content. Perhaps I misunderstood what you are trying to convey. If you are noticing residual black bars under normal viewing you can just watch as much full screen logo free content as possible. You can also use a pixel flipper like the one found on the Disney WoW bluray disc, this is the one I use and it works. But honestly, watching logo free full screen content works just as well.

Good luck and enjoy your panel.
Thank you Cuda1169. Sorry for the shoddy phrasing.

I guess I was wondering if this effected anything long-term? For example, the top and bottom cells did not burn in or "age" properly, so after the 100-hour mark and final calibration they will never be as visually mature as the middle pixels that were properly broken in, and will be playing catch up, so to speak.

Does that make sense?
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmusedGoat View Post
Thank you Cuda1169. Sorry for the shoddy phrasing.

I guess I was wondering if this effected anything long-term? For example, the top and bottom cells did not burn in or "age" properly, so after the 100-hour mark and final calibration they will never be as visually mature as the middle pixels that were properly broken in, and will be playing catch up, so to speak.

Does that make sense?
If you are calibrating or having it done professionally, I would recommend watching as much full screen content as you can for the first 100-200 hours. I had my panel professionally calibrated and ran color slides whenever I was not using the panel for two weeks w/o ever shutting it off. I did game and watch a few 2.35:1 movies during this period of time and my panel is no worse for wear.

I think your panel is likely just fine. Enjoy.
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmusedGoat View Post
Hello friends,

Recently got a 60 inch Sammy plasma and I got so excited the first couple of weeks that I couldn't wait to watch all my favorite Blu Ray movies in 1:85 aspect ratio, despite AVS users advising against it during the break in period.

I only watched black bar movies as an extension to my usual 16:9 content, but in the past 2 weeks of owning it I have viewed:

- Kingdom of Heaven
- Blade Runner
- The Dark Knight
- Wanted
- The Mummy
- V for Vendetta
- Troy

All with black bars....now I am not sure where I am in the 100-200 hour period, but let's say on average I watched it 5 hours a day...so I currently have 70 hours clocked in.

What is the best course of action to take from now on? I have noticed black bars burned into the plasma after watching a movie but they are only noticeable on a solid black background and after switching to a full screen source they disappear. I have noticed no burn-in or IR aside from that and am under the impression that this current F5500 Sammy handles it well.

Do I run the color slides from now on? Do I run the scrolling grey black bars from the TV settings menu? Do I continue watching 1:85 movies as I please?

Thank you!
If those seven movies have a total running time of ~14 hours, that's 20% of the total time you've watched the TV. That seems like too high a percentage of black bars for the 'break in' period. Others with more experience might be able to confirm this.
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2907Laz View Post
If those seven movies have a total running time of ~14 hours, that's 20% of the total time you've watched the TV. That seems like too high a percentage of black bars for the 'break in' period. Others with more experience might be able to confirm this.
14 hours would be OK in the long run even if it occurred in the early life of the panel. Many have abused their panels from day one and have no hint of burn-in or persistent IR.
Iceberg86300 likes this.

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com