Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 179 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5341 of 5345 Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How do I know the difference between Burn in and IR?

I've got a beautiful HUD from Destiny on PS4 showing on light screens in the bottom left of my Panasonic TCP60VT60.

It's covered by my extended warranty but I'd prefer if I could just get it out as I love this TV and there's nothing on the market that looks worthwhile replacing it with with the exchange I'll get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5345 Old 09-27-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post
How do I know the difference between Burn in and IR?

I've got a beautiful HUD from Destiny on PS4 showing on light screens in the bottom left of my Panasonic TCP60VT60.

It's covered by my extended warranty but I'd prefer if I could just get it out as I love this TV and there's nothing on the market that looks worthwhile replacing it with with the exchange I'll get.
If the warranty is through panny, personally, if check with them regarding what you'd get. Don't know the fine print so I'd be careful with what details are given. Don't know about what would happen with your warranty if something is reported but you decline.

Anyway, you never know what's tucked away in the warehouse. You could end up with a zt60 for paying a couple hundred bucks, or free if no vt60's are around, or a brand new vt60, or or a new vt60 panel swapped in for yours, etc.

As to your question, your set just has IR, characterized by the HUD only being v visible on light screens. IR goes away, burn in doesn't. Of you had burn in that HUD would be jumping out at you all the time, regardless of what your watching. Also, with today's tech, it's practically impossible to j get to burn in. You'd need a static image that was VERY likely to cause IR quickly and leave it on for days if not weeks, and this is after defeating the sets protections of turning off or going to a screensaver after X minutes, same with the turning off after Y minutes of not receiving a command, the pixel orbiter's, etc.

Basically you need to actively TRY to get burn in to actually have a chance of getting it.

Beyond trying to get ZT from the warehouse like I talked about above, running a pixel flipper like what is found on the Disney wow disk or what a member here created, or tossing up a 80-90-100 ire greyscale calibration screen (your choice on the IRE level, and this method came straight from the ISF when I took the calibration class ~2006, before pixel flippers) and the IR should fade away to unnoticeable pretty quickly.

May want to save the warranty until it's almost up because who knows what you'd get then. Same reasoning is used to go for the warranty now because I'm sure there is stuff in the warehouse just for these circumstances.

Regards,
Steve
Cuda1169 likes this.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #5343 of 5345 Old 09-28-2014, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setting up a USED Panansonic 65ZT60, WOW Disc, Calibration etc

Ok, couple of questions, I will be hopefully buying a used 65ZT60 in the coming weeks.

About the TV: The set has about 3800hrs~(pic was sent to me), it was a display model. The sales manger was very sincere in helping me answer questions, the location of the tv in the store was not in hands reach where customers could touch the TV (he sent me pics, on a shelf higher up), he explained they never get the same image on the screens, was running normal TV content and rotating the channels.(non-stationary content).

Here are my questions:
1. Should I leave it off for a couple of days? (since its been on in the store for some time)

2. Should I run color slides to maybe reset the plasma cells to get them all even again? (not sure if that makes sense)

3. And what is the WOW disc from Disney? (would that be important?)

4. Basically what I am asking if I can do a "TUNE UP" to the TV as you would do to a car.(change oil, change the brakes, lubricate etc)

5.And I also would be getting the 1 year warranty from Panasonic. (anything to know about this?

6. Can I still get this TV professionally calibrated?

7. Any other suggestions? I will use this TV mostly for movies and sports, minor gaming on Xbox.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
post #5344 of 5345 Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are you buying it without personally inspecting it? I would say the odds of the television having IR and/or potentially permanent burn in are close to 100%. Based upon my experience, IR does not show up very well in photographs. Is this one of the ABC Warehouse display sets?
post #5345 of 5345 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Need help. 1st time owner plasma here. Just bought vt60 used floor model. And it has some IR or burn in on the screen. Any idea which settings or way i need to run to eliminate those logos? Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page