Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 180 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5371 of 5395 Old 10-27-2014, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Apologies, being in the “biz” I can go off with tech stuff for days! Honestly, I think you're looking at a new set. 4:3 directly translates letterbox, so I think any warranty is out. By all means check though. But TECHNICALLY, it doesn't say anything about top and bottom, although center may be being used to cover all bases. May get lucky on the phone, if not, you need to make ONE HELL OF A STINK!! Demand supervisers, read the manual back to them, they may give you “obviously that meant letterbox too”, to which you reply it doesn't say anything about that in the manual! Prepare to get berated.

If you have a plasma nowadays, the WOW disc is basically a must. Will it help your current TV, I don't think so.

I THINK the Spears & whoever disc is the one that goes into very good detail, as well as giving you every pattern you'd need to be a calibrator. You can do it by eye, but at the very l least you need a reference. Even a friend's TV hooked up next to yours. It will only be as good as eyes and the other TV, (a combo that could make a really bad by the #'s cal, but at least you won't be seeing pink).

I'll check those boxes.

Regards,
Steve

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5395 Old 10-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung pn64h5000

Hello I bought a Samsung pn64h5000 and have put somewhere between 100-150 hours on it. Like an idiot I ran it in torch mode.

I started gaming for the first time 2 weeks ago. I played long sessions sometimes 6 hours. I noticed screen retention and it has been on scroll for 2 days now. I'm not seeing any improvment.

Is scrolling better than solid white screen? Should I keep it in torch mode when scrolling?

If this doesn't go away is it possible to replace pixels? Or ask newegg for another tv.

Also during the time gaming the image that has retained was never on longer than 20-25 minutes without going to menus or something.
post #5373 of 5395 Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No you can not replace individual or even groups of pixels in a plasma TV's display panel/screen, you would need to replace the entire panel.

One thing is for sure, Newegg will not give you a replacement for a TV that has IR or burn in. And if you think you can send it back without telling them it has it, and they test the TV and see it, you will not get a replacement TV or a refund from them, and you will get dinged for shipping both ways when they send you that same one back to you.
post #5374 of 5395 Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmalover8 View Post
Hello I bought a Samsung pn64h5000 and have put somewhere between 100-150 hours on it. Like an idiot I ran it in torch mode.

I started gaming for the first time 2 weeks ago. I played long sessions sometimes 6 hours. I noticed screen retention and it has been on scroll for 2 days now. I'm not seeing any improvment.

Is scrolling better than solid white screen? Should I keep it in torch mode when scrolling?

If this doesn't go away is it possible to replace pixels? Or ask newegg for another tv.

Also during the time gaming the image that has retained was never on longer than 20-25 minutes without going to menus or something.
Is your IR visible under normal TV or Movie Viewing? If so, your best bet is to calibrate the panel, yourself or professionally, and run the Disney WoW pixel flipper for several hours or days depending on the severity of your IR.

Good luck.
post #5375 of 5395 Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post
Is your IR visible under normal TV or Movie Viewing? If so, your best bet is to calibrate the panel, yourself or professionally, and run the Disney WoW pixel flipper for several hours or days depending on the severity of your IR.

Good luck.
hi, may i ask why prof. calibrated tv will help getting rid of IR/BI?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #5376 of 5395 Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
hi, may i ask why prof. calibrated tv will help getting rid of IR/BI?
Calibration won't get rid of any IR you currently have. But proper calibration will bring your panel into balance and can help prevent future IR. In the meantime you can self calibrate using a disc or use someone elses calibrated settings for your panel. Either one is better than torch mode. Before my professional calibration I used both David Katzmaier's and D-Nice's ST50 settings for my panel. D-Nice's seemed better suited for my environment but your mileage may vary. That said, both paled when compared to the result of my professional calibration.
post #5377 of 5395 Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks for replies. I was was wrong about the tvs hours. I have over 500 hours on it. I used Xbox one calibration feature and contrast and brightness are about 51 50 now.
post #5378 of 5395 Old 11-01-2014, 01:14 AM

OK, after reading a bit about image retention and burn in, I have an idea.

Since burn in is caused by uneven wear of pixels could I plug my computer up to the screen and open paint. After that take a small black dot and fill in every spot of burn in.
Wouldn't that Burn the rest of the pixels to match the current burn in?
post #5379 of 5395 Old 11-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmalover8 View Post
OK, after reading a bit about image retention and burn in, I have an idea.

Since burn in is caused by uneven wear of pixels could I plug my computer up to the screen and open paint. After that take a small black dot and fill in every spot of burn in.
Wouldn't that Burn the rest of the pixels to match the current burn in?
Theoretically yes.
The best thing to do would be, if its like a HUD from a game. Take a screenshot of the game, invert it and white out everything but the hud.
post #5380 of 5395 Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 PM

Ok. I'm not to savy when it comes to paint and photoshop. How would I take a screen shot of the hud from Xbox?
post #5381 of 5395 Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just bought a Samsung 60" f8500. I am hoping to find info regarding proper break in slide settings. Can someone direct me to what settings to run with the tv if I use break in slides. Are break in slides recommended or should I skip them? My last plasma was five years ago (Panny g25) and I'm out of date with the current recommendations.
post #5382 of 5395 Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by alduflux View Post
I just bought a Samsung 60" f8500. I am hoping to find info regarding proper break in slide settings. Can someone direct me to what settings to run with the tv if I use break in slides. Are break in slides recommended or should I skip them? My last plasma was five years ago (Panny g25) and I'm out of date with the current recommendations.
I just ran the burn protection scroll when i wasn't using the tv.
post #5383 of 5395 Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I've had the same issue. Were you able to do anything to get rid of the IR?
post #5384 of 5395 Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alduflux View Post
You can go to the link below for color slides. The usual recommendation is to the use color slides and as much logo free, full screen content as possible for the first 100-200 hours.
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloa...nload_main.htm

All the slides really do is age the pixels evenly while the panel is still new. I personally ran the slides whenever I was not watching my panel for first couple of weeks. Just watching full screen content works as well. Have fun and enjoy your panel.
post #5385 of 5395 Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 83
^^^^ Apologize if I've missed this before but whatever happened to the 120 version of the Evangelo slides? I downloaded em a couple of years back and have been using them ever since but I noticed they're not available on the website any more
post #5386 of 5395 Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
^^^^ Apologize if I've missed this before but whatever happened to the 120 version of the Evangelo slides? I downloaded em a couple of years back and have been using them ever since but I noticed they're not available on the website any more
I don't know. You'll be fine with the smaller number of slides or just watching full screen content.
Iceberg86300 likes this.
post #5387 of 5395 Old 11-13-2014, 10:29 AM

What should the cell light and/or contrast and/or brightness settings be set to when running the break-in color slides for the first 100 hrs on the Samsung F8500?
post #5388 of 5395 Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koose View Post
What should the cell light and/or contrast and/or brightness settings be set to when running the break-in color slides for the first 100 hrs on the Samsung F8500?
I don't know about cell light but most people reduce contrast & brightness during the first 100-200hrs.
post #5389 of 5395 Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Let me first say I recently bought an LG60PB6650 and love the picture but this thread is outrageous. I come from a projector/LCD background so I'm still learning about plasmas. Although I knew they were more susceptible to burn in than most technologies and I didn't think it was this bad. I also heard that IR is almost non-existent these days due to better technology. I got a deal on the plasma that I just couldn't pass up but I'm starting to think I may need to go in a different direction as it may require more preventative maintenance than I was expecting. Especially considering I have people in my house who may not know better when it comes to watching certain types of content.

The set will be used for 40% movies, 45% gaming and 15% cable programming. In my usage case Should I look be looking at an LCD or should I be fine with this tv? Please note my tv has a special mode which shifts pixels every 2 minutes to help prevent burn-in. Would this be sufficient enough to help prevent burn in?
post #5390 of 5395 Old 11-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post
The set will be used for 40% movies, 45% gaming and 15% cable programming. In my usage case Should I look be looking at an LCD or should I be fine with this tv? Please note my tv has a special mode which shifts pixels every 2 minutes to help prevent burn-in. Would this be sufficient enough to help prevent burn in?
The short answer is: no.
Definitely get an LED, save yourself the headaches!
post #5391 of 5395 Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post
As long as you don't do anything outrageous with your tv (leave CNN on a 24 hr loop or leave a game paused for example) you should be fine. I cant say much about the pixel shift (in theory it should work, my tv has it... but I have no burn in/IR and cant really say why one way or another), but most plasma's are not as easily burned in as they have been in the past... As well, most have screen savers that will automatically turn on if they sense the screen has been displaying a static image for a certain amount of time.

Bottom line for you,
It's a matter of personal preference more than anything. Plasma's still have the best PQ generally, but if you are that concerned about burn in and image retention, get yourself an LED (one with local dimming like the Samsung F8000 or the cheaper Vizio's) and as long as you never bring a plasma home to compare it to you will be happy as a clam!
post #5392 of 5395 Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H 2 View Post
As long as you don't do anything outrageous with your tv (leave CNN on a 24 hr loop or leave a game paused for example) you should be fine. I cant say much about the pixel shift (in theory it should work, my tv has it... but I have no burn in/IR and cant really say why one way or another), but most plasma's are not as easily burned in as they have been in the past... As well, most have screen savers that will automatically turn on if they sense the screen has been displaying a static image for a certain amount of time.

Bottom line for you,
It's a matter of personal preference more than anything. Plasma's still have the best PQ generally, but if you are that concerned about burn in and image retention, get yourself an LED (one with local dimming like the Samsung F8000 or the cheaper Vizio's) and as long as you never bring a plasma home to compare it to you will be happy as a clam!

Thanks for the info. I see a lot of votes in both directions (Plasma will be fine for gaming, I should get LED instead). I'm not overly worried but wanted to get an idea of what I was getting myself into. I noticed last night that after 5 minutes of having my DVR paused on the screen, the screen saver kicked in. It actually is quite nice. It shrinks whatever image is on the screen into a square and it bounces the square around the screen.

At any rate, I've really been enjoying this TV so it's too late to return at this point. I only paid $600 for it so if it ends up having major retention issues I will consider it a lesson learned and move on.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
post #5393 of 5395 Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The general consensus: go easy on the first 200 hours. Set your Contrast & Brightness to under 50 (preferably 47-48). Watch a combination of contents, stuff like Animal Channel, Food Channel. Basically stuffs with lots of colors and action that covers the whole screen, not just letterbox movies. For gaming, there should be a separate 'Gaming Mode' but be careful as most of them are set very high, if so, reduce the contrast/brightness or customize one and save for gaming use.

Image Retention is normal for Plasmas. It usually goes away when the screen is filled with brightly lit materials such as ones I mentioned above. I have a 2011 Panasonic Viera Plasma (TC-P42G25) and it is still working flawlessly to this day. I watched everything and been consistently using it for at least 3-4 hours day/evening. Zero burns and little to no image retentions. The trick is this: before turning the TV off I usually tune into a channel with colorful contents, ones that covers the whole screen for a minute or so to 'even-out' the panel. Now this is just me and one should not need to stretch too far for such care, but it is all to your discretion. In the end of a day, NOTHING beats a plasma!

Last edited by 80sGuy; 11-22-2014 at 04:09 AM.
post #5394 of 5395 Old 11-20-2014, 02:43 PM

Liked: 12
@ikecomp :

Please report back after 6 months - 1 year of 45% gaming and 15% cable programming . . . I would be interested in how you fared.
post #5395 of 5395 Old 11-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Just purchased a new LG 50pb6600 tonight.

Are there any specific measures to take calibrate or break it in?

Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page