Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 181 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5401 of 5425 Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I think it's fading, but I can't really swear that it is. It does seem like it's harder to see than when it was first identified, but perhaps it's just wishful thinking. On the VT60, the pixel flipper kicks in ABL. Looping full screen content does not.

The set in question was a demo at a friend's small electronics store in my hometown. He estimated 300 hours of usage, but it actually had just over 1000 hours on it when I bought it. I did no research prior to purchase and bought on impulse when I learned that the sets were no longer available. I've put 800-900 hours on the set, most of which has been screen wiping, pixel flipping, full screen content looping etc. in an effort to get rid of the IR.

I have to say, I was disappointed, and bit freaked out, when I learned the susceptibility these sets seem to have to IR. I wish I had known prior to buying the 55". I would have looked for IR and either not bought the set, or paid considerably less. I've since found a brand new 65", so I now I have 2 VT60's. IR issues aside, they produce an excellent picture.
If you are running the pixel flipper turn off the Vivid setting. This will reduce ABL.
Cuda1169 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5402 of 5425 Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Member
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which is better to eliminate stubborn IR on a Pioneer KURO 9g, a scrolling thin white bar or the Disney WOW pixel flipper?
Vegeta is offline  
post #5403 of 5425 Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
Which is better to eliminate stubborn IR on a Pioneer KURO 9g, a scrolling thin white bar or the Disney WOW pixel flipper?
The scrolling bar times out on my panel after 15 minutes so I don't use it. I prefer the WoW pixel flipper.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #5404 of 5425 Old 12-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Iceberg86300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Also, you can always use a gray scale test pattern of 70-100 IRE. I've always said 80 IRE, but I THINK during my ISF class Joel said 100 IRE.

This was before pixel flippers. I've made that statement many times, but after some thinking I've realized I shouldn't state that in a factual manner. I need to research that. Especially as I roll ALL IR tools except the use of a gray scale pattern into the “this was pre pixel flipper.” I've been blindly making that statement due to the fact that nothing beyond a gray scale pattern was even mentioned for the care of a plasma.

This included the use of a 100 IRE pattern for the first ~200 hours to season the panel, as well as for getting rid of IR. Also, those 200 hours were to be continuous. Not necessarily 200 hours straight, but 200 hours of nothing but the test pattern. Being steadfast in this seasoning process was to make the panel less susceptible to IR, as well as making it easier to get rid of any IR.

The latter was to be used long before any IR began to show itself during normal viewing. If you had something static on the screen, such as a gaming HUD, station logo, ticker, etc, for the better part of a day you just threw up a pattern overnight.

In my opinion this kind of “prevention” should be utilized whenever possible. Obviously this doesn't prevent IR, but it should get of IR that can only be faintly seen on certain test patterns or that can't be seen at all. This will prevent IR from getting to the point of being visible when watching content.

Regards,
Steve
Cuda1169 likes this.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Iceberg86300 is online now  
post #5405 of 5425 Old 12-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Member
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post
The scrolling bar times out on my panel after 15 minutes so I don't use it. I prefer the WoW pixel flipper.
I have an MP4 that has a white scrolling bar which I can play via my Blu-Ray player in a loop. Would that be more effective as I believe it would not trigger ABL as much as the pixel flipper.


It's similar to this:


Also, shouldn't burn-in be visible on a black screen also? My old Panasonic PX80 had a channel logo burn-in and it could be clearly seen on a white slide as well as a black slide/screen. With my Pioneer 9g I can see a slightly dark patch which doesn't seem to have any real shape resembling a logo on a white screen but I can't see it at all on a black slide/screen. Is this burn-in, something else or is it because Pioneer drive their screens differently from Panasonic?

Last edited by Vegeta; 12-03-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Vegeta is offline  
post #5406 of 5425 Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
I have an MP4 that has a white scrolling bar which I can play via my Blu-Ray player in a loop. Would that be more effective as I believe it would not trigger ABL as much as the pixel flipper.


It's similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LegAkKYOQTc


Also, shouldn't burn-in be visible on a black screen also? My old Panasonic PX80 had a channel logo burn-in and it could be clearly seen on a white slide as well as a black slide/screen. With my Pioneer 9g I can see a slightly dark patch which doesn't seem to have any real shape resembling a logo on a white screen but I can't see it at all on a black slide/screen. Is this burn-in, something else or is it because Pioneer drive their screens differently from Panasonic?
Many on this forum swear by the WoW pixel flipper, myself included. If the screen wipe is not working, I recommend turning off the Vivid mode and running the pixel flipper at your regular viewing settings. I typically run my pixel flipper once a month over night, though running full screen content on one of HBO channels seems to have the same effect. YMMV though.

True burn-in is always visible depending on the colors displayed on screen. The only true burn-in I have ever witnessed is on low end plasmas at one of my local sports bars that run ESPN all day everyday. During commercial breaks the ESPN banner at the bottom of the screen is always visible regardless of what is displays.
Vegeta likes this.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #5407 of 5425 Old 12-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Honestly, I'm not sure how effective these solutions are. I got tired of running them and seeing little improvement.

I simply watched my regular programming and one day I noticed it was gone.
Cuda1169 likes this.
gossamer88 is offline  
post #5408 of 5425 Old 12-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure how effective these solutions are. I got tired of running them and seeing little improvement.

I simply watched my regular programming and one day I noticed it was gone.
Exactly right, watching full screen programming also removes IR.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #5409 of 5425 Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Newbie
 
Srikzquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I just got a new samsung pn60f8500 and with a time of 10hrs roughly. Unknowingly, my wife watched a movie with black bars in netflix for 90 mins while I was away. I have Cell light set to 14, Brightness and Contrast set to 35 at this point for the break-in period and watching full screen content in Netflix until this moment. I, at least with my eyes am unable to see black IR on the screen now but does it affect the TV in the long run due to the irregular phosphor aging and is there anything I can do to reverse the impact?

Thanks in advance.
Srikzquest is online now  
post #5410 of 5425 Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikzquest View Post
Hi, I just got a new samsung pn60f8500 and with a time of 10hrs roughly. Unknowingly, my wife watched a movie with black bars in netflix for 90 mins while I was away. I have Cell light set to 14, Brightness and Contrast set to 35 at this point for the break-in period and watching full screen content in Netflix until this moment. I, at least with my eyes am unable to see black IR on the screen now but does it affect the TV in the long run due to the irregular phosphor aging and is there anything I can do to reverse the impact?

Thanks in advance.
It's easy to get paranoid reading this thread. Your panel will be fine, enjoy.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #5411 of 5425 Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
Srikzquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post
It's easy to get paranoid reading this thread. Your panel will be fine, enjoy.
Thanks for the calming words...
Cuda1169 likes this.
Srikzquest is online now  
post #5412 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikzquest View Post
Hi, I just got a new samsung pn60f8500 and with a time of 10hrs roughly. Unknowingly, my wife watched a movie with black bars in netflix for 90 mins while I was away. I have Cell light set to 14, Brightness and Contrast set to 35 at this point for the break-in period and watching full screen content in Netflix until this moment. I, at least with my eyes am unable to see black IR on the screen now but does it affect the TV in the long run due to the irregular phosphor aging and is there anything I can do to reverse the impact?

Thanks in advance.
Black bars from letterbox movies or 4:3 content are not a problem. IR from bright channel logos or gaming HUD's are usually the most troublesome as far as IR is concerned, but as long as you vary content from time to time, it's not an issue.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #5413 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM
Senior Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Black bars from letterbox movies or 4:3 content are not a problem.

I don't believe that is necessarily true. I've seen several posters report IR issues from watching too much letterboxed content.
B T C is offline  
post #5414 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I don't believe that is necessarily true. I've seen several posters report IR issues from watching too much letterboxed content.
Probably more than half of the hours on my Panasonic UT50 were from letterbox Blu-ray's on Screen Fit and I never had any IR problems at all...and that set is pretty prone to IR from logos and HUD's.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #5415 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Probably more than half of the hours on my Panasonic UT50 were from letterbox Blu-ray's on Screen Fit and I never had any IR problems at all...and that set is pretty prone to IR from logos and HUD's.
Does screen fit fill the screen?

If you search these forums, you will find cases of users encountering IR or Burn In from watching too much letter boxed content. Therefore, I would disagree with the statement that it's not a problem. It obviously can, and does, happen.
B T C is offline  
post #5416 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Does screen fit fill the screen?

If you search these forums, you will find cases of users encountering IR or Burn In from watching too much letter boxed content. Therefore, I would disagree with the statement that it's not a problem. It obviously can, and does, happen.
I'm sorry, it's Screen Fit on the Samsung. On the Panasonic it's Aspect Adjustment 2. It's 1 to 1 pixel. No overscan and the pixel orbiter is disabled too with this function. No IR.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #5417 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
I'm sorry, it's Screen Fit on the Samsung. On the Panasonic it's Aspect Adjustment 2. It's 1 to 1 pixel. No overscan and the pixel orbiter is disabled too with this function. No IR.
Check out post 5361 of this thread.
B T C is offline  
post #5418 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
weekendtoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hello,


I have a Panasonic ST50 plasma that I bought back when they first came out, maybe two years now. I ran the colored slides for what was it? 100hours? Can't quite remember. After that I calibrated the system using Spears and Munsil.


At the time I was playing a lot Catan on the xbox360. I didn't use the set at all until the slides were done and then proceeded to use it as I normally would. The game has cards that that show up for each player in the corners of the screen.


For the last two years now on certain bright screens I can see the outline of those cards in the lower left corner. I've run the set's pixel scroller for good chunks of time and can't get rid of it. I didn't think these sets where prone to burn-in but mine sure seems to have. Kind of a bummer.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

weekendtoy is offline  
post #5419 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Check out post 5361 of this thread.
I'm sorry, but that has not been my experience at all and I would estimate that my Panasonic UT50 has a few thousand hours on it and around half of those from letterbox films. I notice no uneven wear or IR on the slides or during viewing. I know Panasonic's are prone to IR more than others too. I've yet to experience any on my Samsung F5300 and I've been playing a lot of games too. I don't watch cable or sports, so no experience with IR there.

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; Yesterday at 12:09 PM.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #5420 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Hello,


I have a Panasonic ST50 plasma that I bought back when they first came out, maybe two years now. I ran the colored slides for what was it? 100hours? Can't quite remember. After that I calibrated the system using Spears and Munsil.


At the time I was playing a lot Catan on the xbox360. I didn't use the set at all until the slides were done and then proceeded to use it as I normally would. The game has cards that that show up for each player in the corners of the screen.


For the last two years now on certain bright screens I can see the outline of those cards in the lower left corner. I've run the set's pixel scroller for good chunks of time and can't get rid of it. I didn't think these sets where prone to burn-in but mine sure seems to have. Kind of a bummer.
Sorry to hear about your panel's IR. The ST50s are hit and miss where stubborn IR is concerned. I have a ST50 as well. The built in pixel scroller is useless on my panel. You can try the Disney WoW pixel flipper for several hours/days this has helped many. Now I just run full screen HBO content, which is logo free, and this works just as well. Good Luck.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #5421 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Newbie
 
mhundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've had my LG plasma for about a year now and I've just noticed on the side of the screen a faint burn-in of the CNN logo of all things. I'm not sure if this something that happened early into the TV's life that I never noticed prior or more recently? but obviously i'd like to fix it.

So I ran my TV's colorwash for about 8 hours or so last night but the image still appears there. Did I not run it long enough or is the color wash mode just ineffective period to remove a burn-in?
mhundred is offline  
post #5422 of 5425 Old Today, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhundred View Post
So I've had my LG plasma for about a year now and I've just noticed on the side of the screen a faint burn-in of the CNN logo of all things. I'm not sure if this something that happened early into the TV's life that I never noticed prior or more recently? but obviously i'd like to fix it.

So I ran my TV's colorwash for about 8 hours or so last night but the image still appears there. Did I not run it long enough or is the color wash mode just ineffective period to remove a burn-in?
I recommend you watch as much full screen logo free content as possible. It will eventually fade. If you're in a hurry you could run the Disney WoW pixel flipper whenever you are not watching the panel. Good Luck.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #5423 of 5425 Old Today, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
ikecomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted in this thread a little while back on my LG plasma. I ended up returning it (unrelated to IR or burn-in. I actually had something I can only describe as a flashing pixel or light. very strange). At any rate, after trying a couple of LED tv's I'm back to using a samsung plasma. Although, I'm not concerned about burn in as much as I used to be I decided to just purchase a $99 protection plan from my local best buy. I would normally get a square trade warranty but one thing the square trade warranty doesn't cover is burn-in on plasma tv's which the best buy plan does cover. I doubt I'll need it but it does provide a little piece of mind. Thought I'd mention it since not many warranties out there cover this type of damage.
ikecomp is online now  
post #5424 of 5425 Old Today, 08:18 PM
Member
 
Iceberg86300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post
I posted in this thread a little while back on my LG plasma. I ended up returning it (unrelated to IR or burn-in. I actually had something I can only describe as a flashing pixel or light. very strange). At any rate, after trying a couple of LED tv's I'm back to using a samsung plasma. Although, I'm not concerned about burn in as much as I used to be I decided to just purchase a $99 protection plan from my local best buy. I would normally get a square trade warranty but one thing the square trade warranty doesn't cover is burn-in on plasma tv's which the best buy plan does cover. I doubt I'll need it but it does provide a little piece of mind. Thought I'd mention it since not many warranties out there cover this type of damage.
What are the details for the warranty? Got a link to it online by any chance? I know those can vary quite a bit, but if you model of the tv I'm sure best buy will try to hawk a warranty once I add it to my cart.

In assuming Best buy sells both square trade and their own protection plan correct? I haven't even been inside a Best buy in over a year. They've really gone downhill compared to ~13 years ago. I really only visit a Best buy to go to Magnolia's nowadays. Last thing I bought was a pioneer elite A/V. Parents bought a TV stand a few years ago. Both were primarily because of the 10% off for opening a credit line, but also piece of mind because they're everywhere and easy to return stuff if needed.

Regards,
Steve

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Iceberg86300 is online now  
post #5425 of 5425 Old Today, 09:17 PM
Newbie
 
Srikzquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Black bars from letterbox movies or 4:3 content are not a problem. IR from bright channel logos or gaming HUD's are usually the most troublesome as far as IR is concerned, but as long as you vary content from time to time, it's not an issue.
Thanks for the assuring words...
Srikzquest is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off