Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 182 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5431 of 5444 Old 12-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
What are the details for the warranty? Got a link to it online by any chance? I know those can vary quite a bit, but if you model of the tv I'm sure best buy will try to hawk a warranty once I add it to my cart.

In assuming Best buy sells both square trade and their own protection plan correct? I haven't even been inside a Best buy in over a year. They've really gone downhill compared to ~13 years ago. I really only visit a Best buy to go to Magnolia's nowadays. Last thing I bought was a pioneer elite A/V. Parents bought a TV stand a few years ago. Both were primarily because of the 10% off for opening a credit line, but also piece of mind because they're everywhere and easy to return stuff if needed.

Regards,
Steve
You can check out the different warranty details by going here. You would then download the most recent version of the terms and conditions to see what is included.

http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-...onditions.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 5444 Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm a newbie to AVS, just trying to get good info on how to break in a new plasma. I have a PN64F8500 on order with a confirmed delivery date of 12/23. I've read much of this thread and learned a lot, but there's a ton of info and some conflicting advise....to be expected. If anyone with experience cares to comment, what are the first things that I should do after I receive the unit. I plan to unpack and inspect the unit when it's delivered, let it come up to room temperature, then watch action movies with lots of movement. Am I on the right track or am I missing something?
post #5433 of 5444 Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I had my first IR scare yesterday.

I've owned my f8500 for a few months and I've watched all types of content without issue: long letter-boxed movies, older 4:3 TV shows. all kinds of sports, etc. About a month ago I watched the entire season of Survivor:Fiji on Amazon Prime in a few days. It's broadcast in 4:3, but I saw no IR after any episode and never gave it a second thought.

A few days ago I started Survivor:Panama and was about 10 episodes in when I binged about 4 or 5 episodes in a row two nights ago. I was drifting a bit and probably not paying as close of attention as I should have been, and when I decided to exit Prime after the end of an episode my heart skipped a beat. Sure enough - there was a clear gray outline of the left side border visible after exiting the show. This was unlike any IR I had ever witnessed and I panicked a bit; it was easily visible no matter what was on the screen. I immediately decided to scroll for a while just to be safe. Next I decided to play some sharp colorful content so I streamed some episodes of Lost through Netflix.

I decided to check again after a few episodes had finished and the screen looked ok, but careful examination revealed the outline was still there, especially during bright scenes (ocean, beach). The right edge line of the border box was still particularly clear. I decided to let it scroll overnight. The next morning (to my relief) it seemed undetectable, but on a gray menu screen the outline of the border is still slightly visible. It's almost gone. I'm going to let the set scroll for another night.

How did this happen? I thought sets get less IR prone with age, not more. Can I no longer risk watching 4:3 content? Why was the IR only on the left side of the screen?

*scratches head*
post #5434 of 5444 Old 12-19-2014, 04:41 PM

Thanks to the overnight scroll the IR seems to be completely gone now. I checked the left side of the screen up close under every imaginable condition and can't detect the outline any more. Whew.

I'm still a little burned by this (no pun intended). I don't know how I'll ever comfortably watch 4:3 content again. I'm even scared of letterbox now. To make matters worse - my BR extended edition of LotR trilogy arrived not too long ago and I haven't opened it yet.
post #5435 of 5444 Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
After you get your TV up and running rent or buy the BR version of The Fall.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/
post #5436 of 5444 Old 12-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
Thanks to the overnight scroll the IR seems to be completely gone now. I checked the left side of the screen up close under every imaginable condition and can't detect the outline any more. Whew.

I'm still a little burned by this (no pun intended). I don't know how I'll ever comfortably watch 4:3 content again. I'm even scared of letterbox now. To make matters worse - my BR extended edition of LotR trilogy arrived not too long ago and I haven't opened it yet.
It went away after a several hours of using the wipe, but it would have just as easily gone away with you watching full screen content enjoying your TV, probably faster actually. The trouble is you watched too much 4:3 content during a marathon style viewing. When you do something like that again, just give take a few breaks here and there and let the TV run in full screen for a bit.

Are you using the light grey bars for 4:3 content? I've never had a problem with letterbox BD's on any of my sets, but I think for whatever reason 4:3 is more susceptible to IR.
Cuda1169 likes this.
post #5437 of 5444 Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
It went away after a several hours of using the wipe, but it would have just as easily gone away with you watching full screen content enjoying your TV, probably faster actually. The trouble is you watched too much 4:3 content during a marathon style viewing. When you do something like that again, just give take a few breaks here and there and let the TV run in full screen for a bit.

Are you using the light grey bars for 4:3 content? I've never had a problem with letterbox BD's on any of my sets, but I think for whatever reason 4:3 is more susceptible to IR.
My set defintely has become IR prone in 4:3. I watched another episode of Survivor (this time on YouTube) and the outline of black border boxes remained visible for some time after the episode was over. I didn't wipe, rather just let some full screen content play and they eventually melted away. I believe I do have the bars set to light grey; I'll have to check to be sure.

I guess it's one 4:3 show at a time for me from now on. No more survivor binges.
post #5438 of 5444 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
All of you are too paranoid about burn-ins. I was once like that when I bought my TC-P42G25. Here's what you can do:
Set your Contrast and Brightness below 48. If you see heavy image-retention for days (or burn-ins if you like), unplug your cable or antenna and run the 'static snow' overnight, followed by tuning in to a cartoon channel for a few hours. Keep on watching contents covering the entire screen and it will disappear little by little. This will take some time. I remembered setting up my new set with a Denon receiver and the logo got stuck on the screen for months, doing what I mentioned has corrected the problem, but it took 3 months!
post #5439 of 5444 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

The f8500 has a good screen wipe app so I'm not sure the static is necessary.

You might be right, though. But the IR from the 4:3 viewing that I described was way more prominent than anything I saw the first few months I had the set. It definitely contributed to my paranoia.
post #5440 of 5444 Old Today, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
My set defintely has become IR prone in 4:3. I watched another episode of Survivor (this time on YouTube) and the outline of black border boxes remained visible for some time after the episode was over. I didn't wipe, rather just let some full screen content play and they eventually melted away. I believe I do have the bars set to light grey; I'll have to check to be sure.

I guess it's one 4:3 show at a time for me from now on. No more survivor binges.
It's strange how 4:3 content produces IR, while letterbox films don't. I watched the Extended Desolation of Smaug BD yesterday from beginning to end with no breaks and had no IR at all. Try to use the light bars if you can or if you're using a cable box it might have that feature as well.
post #5441 of 5444 Old Today, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
The f8500 has a good screen wipe app so I'm not sure the static is necessary.

You might be right, though. But the IR from the 4:3 viewing that I described was way more prominent than anything I saw the first few months I had the set. It definitely contributed to my paranoia.
Static and pixel flippers work best, imo. You could also stretch your 4:3 content to full screen to help with that specific IR. The stretched image will be a bit distorted but will relieve your 4:3 IR concerns. Good luck and enjoy your panel.
post #5442 of 5444 Old Today, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

^^To avoid 4:3 contents looking stretched, you can use the remote from your TV and 'zoom in' to cover the screen. You will lose a bit on top and bottom but better than anything looking weird and all stretched up. Depending on your cable box setup (I'm with Charter) it should automatically switch into 'normal' mode when you tune into HD channels, where the screen should look normal, then reverts back to 'zoom' when tuned to subsequent SD 4:3 contents vice/versa. Do this for a while and the screen will uniformly aged along, then you shouldn't have any problems with heavy image-retentions after watching 4:3 or letterboxed contents. If so, it will quickly wash away.
post #5443 of 5444 Old Today, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Last box I had that switched resolutions was with time Warner about 7 years ago and it SUCKED!! Probably a combo of the box switching and an older CRT rear projection TV, it looked like it was trying blow everything up.

How does yours work for you? In sure things have progressed quite a bit in 7 years.

Regards,
Steve

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #5444 of 5444 Old Today, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

The 'zoom' was controlled by the TV and not from the cable box. It retains picture quality much better with virtually zero loss of degradation. Although you can also zoom-in from the cable box but the quality is horrible, it is only use for switching in between resolution.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page