Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 182 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5431 of 5433 Old Today, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
What are the details for the warranty? Got a link to it online by any chance? I know those can vary quite a bit, but if you model of the tv I'm sure best buy will try to hawk a warranty once I add it to my cart.

In assuming Best buy sells both square trade and their own protection plan correct? I haven't even been inside a Best buy in over a year. They've really gone downhill compared to ~13 years ago. I really only visit a Best buy to go to Magnolia's nowadays. Last thing I bought was a pioneer elite A/V. Parents bought a TV stand a few years ago. Both were primarily because of the 10% off for opening a credit line, but also piece of mind because they're everywhere and easy to return stuff if needed.

Regards,
Steve
You can check out the different warranty details by going here. You would then download the most recent version of the terms and conditions to see what is included.

http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-...onditions.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 5433 Old Today, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm a newbie to AVS, just trying to get good info on how to break in a new plasma. I have a PN64F8500 on order with a confirmed delivery date of 12/23. I've read much of this thread and learned a lot, but there's a ton of info and some conflicting advise....to be expected. If anyone with experience cares to comment, what are the first things that I should do after I receive the unit. I plan to unpack and inspect the unit when it's delivered, let it come up to room temperature, then watch action movies with lots of movement. Am I on the right track or am I missing something?
post #5433 of 5433 Old Today, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had my first IR scare yesterday.

I've owned my f8500 for a few months and I've watched all types of content without issue: long letter-boxed movies, older 4:3 TV shows. all kinds of sports, etc. About a month ago I watched the entire season of Survivor:Fiji on Amazon Prime in a few days. It's broadcast in 4:3, but I saw no IR after any episode and never gave it a second though.

A few days ago I started Survivor:Panama and was about 10 episodes in when I binged about 4 or 5 episodes in a row two nights ago. I was drifting a bit and probably not paying as close of attention as I should have been, and when I decided to exit Prime after the end of an episode my heart skipped a beat. Sure enough - there was a clear gray outline of the left side border visible after exiting the show. This was unlike any IR I had ever witnessed and I panicked a bit; it was easily visible no matter what was on the screen. I immediately decided to scroll for a while just to be safe. Next I decided to play some sharp colorful content so I streamed some episodes of Lost through Netflix.

I decided to check again after a few episodes had finished and the screen looked ok, but careful examination revealed the outline was still there, especially during bright scenes (ocean, beach). The right edge line of the border box was still particularly clear. I decided to let it scroll overnight. The next morning (to my relief) it seemed undetectable, but on a gray menu screen the outline of the border is still slightly visible. It's almost gone. I'm going to let the set scroll for another night.

How did this happen? I thought sets get less IR prone with age, not more. Can I no longer risk watching 4:3 content? Why was the IR only on the left side of the screen?

*scratches head*
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page