Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 184 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5491 of 5516 Old 03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 27
These IR can be brutal. Minimize anything with ticker bars and watch full screen for a few weeks. Set Brightness and Contrast below 50. This can take at least a month or two to even out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5516 Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post
I'd recommend running a full screen show or movie for an hour after watching Fox Sports. Just to be sure.
Yes, that is exactly what I do. I was just curious if running something for a time before a static image on screen will help lessen the image retention I know I will get from that static image.

Almost more of a theoretical question on if IR is more severe immediately after the TV is turned on vs. after a few minutes where the pixels have "warmed up."

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #5493 of 5516 Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RaVer View Post
Hi all,
Panasonic has replied saying they can solve my problem by replacing the ZT for a 65AX800 ...
I'm temped to ask for a 65AX900 but i'm not sure if this is a good idea.
They can't repair the ZT
Any opinions on this please?
From what I've read, that is a really good set. Go ahead and ask for the 900; why not right? Really stinks that they can't repair though.
X-RaVer likes this.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #5494 of 5516 Old 03-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuester View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I do. I was just curious if running something for a time before a static image on screen will help lessen the image retention I know I will get from that static image.

Almost more of a theoretical question on if IR is more severe immediately after the TV is turned on vs. after a few minutes where the pixels have "warmed up."
Hmmm, interesting question. While this is an interesting theory, if there are any benefits of warming the pixels up before going to a static image, they would most likely be minimal. My key to image retention, don't pay attention to it. As long as you don't abuse your panel - i.e., watch shows with tickers all day without varying your content - you have little to worry about when it comes to image retention.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #5495 of 5516 Old 03-19-2015, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
From what I've read, that is a really good set. Go ahead and ask for the 900; why not right? Really stinks that they can't repair though.
Panasonic did not accept the exchange. They will process a refund.
post #5496 of 5516 Old 03-29-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 76
So the new firmware on PS4 has an "Invert Colors" option.

I'm curious, if people have burn-in from their HUD's, wouldn't running this option time to time be helpful for it? I'm guessing it would be tough to play with this option, but wouldn't that help alleviate HUD burn-in in some way if it's run?

It also can run when playing movies, so if you have IR from black bars perhaps you could run this on 2.39:1 films every so often.

Last edited by muffinmcfluffin; 03-29-2015 at 09:22 PM.
post #5497 of 5516 Old 03-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

I thought they're giving you the 65AX800 in warranty exchange. What happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RaVer View Post
Panasonic did not accept the exchange. They will process a refund.
post #5498 of 5516 Old 03-30-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
I thought they're giving you the 65AX800 in warranty exchange. What happened?
Yes, they offered a 65AX800 or a 55AX900 ... the first was not the 'Top of Line' model on LCD's like the ZT60 was on Plasmas, and would never accept it.
The last one is 5" smaller than my ZT , it's not a viable option either. The only model i would accept would be a 65AX900 , but Panasonic declined and said they would opt for another solution, refund... however, 30 days are gone since Saturday and i haven't got a word from them on how they're going to solve this.. if it is refund, they sould have already done it!
I'll wait for some news today, if i don't get a word from them, i'll follow a court action.
post #5499 of 5516 Old 03-30-2015, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Well then, get the refund and go for a 4K set. Seriously, plasmas are great but they are pretty much obsolete. Besides you're gonna get tired of baby-sitting them from heavy IR and/or burn-ins.
post #5500 of 5516 Old 03-30-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Well then, get the refund and go for a 4K set. Seriously, plasmas are great but they are pretty much obsolete. Besides you're gonna get tired of baby-sitting them from heavy IR and/or burn-ins.
That's really easy to say, but in order to buy some decent replacement for the ZT i still need to put 1.5~2K more at least.
It's not fair that they can't solve this by replacing the set themselves or just by repairing it!
post #5501 of 5516 Old 03-31-2015, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
F8500 image sticking

Hi all,

I believe I've burned an image into my PN60F8500, against my understanding of what was possible. I'd like to check whether there's anything left to try. I purchased the screen in December; there are approximately 500 hours on the panel.

Put simply, I began playing a game (in game mode, at full 20 cell brightness) two weeks ago. After five days or ~30 hours of screen time, I noticed retention of the game's HUD on a white screen. I adjusted the HUD to change its position, and continued to play.

Since then, I have:

(1) twice put the panel in "pattern" mode overnight, which scrolls a white-black gradient.
(2) noticed no additional image retention at all (no matter how brief) of the adjusted game HUD, despite having played the game much more. No changes to brightness or other settings.

The retention of the original game HUD has not diminished.

Is there anything left to try? I believed this kind of burn-in risk to be a solved problem, especially on this relatively high-end panel.
post #5502 of 5516 Old 04-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetter View Post
Hi all,

I believe I've burned an image into my PN60F8500, against my understanding of what was possible. I'd like to check whether there's anything left to try. I purchased the screen in December; there are approximately 500 hours on the panel.

Put simply, I began playing a game (in game mode, at full 20 cell brightness) two weeks ago. After five days or ~30 hours of screen time, I noticed retention of the game's HUD on a white screen. I adjusted the HUD to change its position, and continued to play.

Since then, I have:

(1) twice put the panel in "pattern" mode overnight, which scrolls a white-black gradient.
(2) noticed no additional image retention at all (no matter how brief) of the adjusted game HUD, despite having played the game much more. No changes to brightness or other settings.

Is there anything left to try? I believed this kind of burn-in risk to be a solved problem, especially on this relatively high-end panel.
Stop playing the game for a while and vary your content. Keep running screen wipes, but don't expect to see it diminish fast. Could take a while. I've had image retention last up to a month before. Also, tone the cell light down for normal content. Blast it for the screen wipes.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #5503 of 5516 Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Since then, I have:

Hi, you can try some solid colored slides or just use the Disney WOW Pixel Flipper , it should be used several times and for a long period each time. i would say 8hours each time, try mixing your content and obviously STOP playing the game that caused the IR.
post #5504 of 5516 Old 04-02-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Hi all,

Since then, I have:

Is it a PS4 game? If so, you can try the Invert Colors option I was referencing earlier. Might not be easy to play with, but if you at least run that for a while (for instance, I could have that on while playing Remote Play on Vita), then that might be the ticket for you to see if it counters itself at all.
post #5505 of 5516 Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Hi all,

Since then, I have:

Its unlikely you have burn-in after only 500 hours. I recommend the Disney WoW pixel flipper and full screen viewing for several days. Once the IR fades watch as much varied content as possible.

Good luck and enjoy your panel.
post #5506 of 5516 Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Always smart not to play 30 hours of the same game with a HUD without varying content.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #5507 of 5516 Old 04-04-2015, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Can't believe after 4 years of owning my TC-P42G25, I'm running the slides again to wash out some stubborn heavy IR, or burn-in for a lack of better word. I watched A LOT of CNBC Financial News and have noticed an apparition of the ticker bar spreading out across the bottom. It is not as bad during normal viewing but only when breaks with light gray backgrounds. It has improved since, but in the back of my mind it is still there so therefore I'll let the slides do the honor. This was also used for broken-in the set for 200 hours when it was brand new.
post #5508 of 5516 Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 AM
22L

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've read through of this thread and I hear a lot of great info on preventing burn in and a lot of complaints about burn in.

Here is my situation. I'm selling a ZT60 for a friend. He must have watched a bunch of 4:3 because it has the lighter bars on the sides. I've been running the screen wipe and think it got better after the first few hours, but looks like the progress has stalled. It's pretty noticeable on light scenes, clouds, sky, western movies, etc.

What else can I try? Like I've said, I've read a bunch of the thread and there is good info on preventing and a lot of complaints about it happening but not much on "Hey, get this DVD or download this and play it and your problem will get resolved". So I worry there is no fix. Is this true? Is it something that, with a little care, will resolve itself over the next few months of normal watching with no 4:3 content?

Thanks for any help.
post #5509 of 5516 Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 AM
22L

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I did read about Disney WOW and the pixel flipper. I will order that. Is there a difference between the 1 disk and 2 disk?It doesn't say what the difference is on amazon.
post #5510 of 5516 Old 04-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22L View Post
I did read about Disney WOW and the pixel flipper. I will order that. Is there a difference between the 1 disk and 2 disk?It doesn't say what the difference is on amazon.
Ratchet up the contrast as high as it will go and keep going. Could take a long time to rid.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #5511 of 5516 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just felt I should share my story of extremely stubborn IR and how I got rid of it on my 65VT60. I did about 400 hours of break in since so many people seem to want to know this and I use CNET settings after the break in but did not put the contrast higher than 68 (only option I changed). In reality break in does not prevent IR but I am sure most people on this forum know this. After that I didn't watch too much logo branded channels or display much static imagery until around 1000 hours. After that I allowed my girlfriend to watch the TV as she pleased when I wasn't home. I had done this with my previous 65VT30 and never had a problem at all when it came to IR. After the TV was approximately 9 months old I noticed the "E!" Channel logo when displaying a white screen. I immediately had her stop watching E! And white washed and watched full screen for many hours a week. Finally 9 months later and with no E! watching on the VT60 at all today is the first day that every bit of evidence of IR is finally completely gone.

The reason I want you Guys to know this, is she had at least 1000 hours of E! channel watching logged onto my VT60. So it is possible to get rid of IR. You just need to never watch that channel again or at least until the IR is gone. Reality is if you have IR that means you most likely spent hundreds of hours watching a certain channel which means it's going to take just as many if not more most likely to get rid of it. Lastly any one using THX setting set the size, to size 2 so you can activate pixel orbiter. I have noticed a lot of image retention comes when using this setting constantly. Pixel orbiter by default is disabled with THX. And lastly don't go above 70 on the contrast. You will notice almost no difference in shadows or blacks above 70 any way.

Hopefully this helps some of you understand how to get rid of stubborn IR. basically don't watch the channel again until the IR is gone and use a lot of white wash for hours every day. Clearly in my opinion I have proved that burn in is a thing of the past at the very least considering that E! logo was branded into my set. Stubborn IR on the other hand is here to stay. Understand she didn't watch the E! channel a little bit. The channel was on at all times for hours a day. So it took a lot to get stuck there and it took even more to get rid of it. So good luck guys any IR you have should eventually go away with patience.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven

Last edited by Semp1; Yesterday at 11:38 AM.
post #5512 of 5516 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post
Just felt I should share my story of extremely stubborn IR and how I got rid of it on my 65VT60. I did about 400 hours of break in since so many people seem to want to know this and I use CNET settings after the break in but did not put the contrast higher than 68 (only option I changed). In reality break in does not prevent IR but I am sure most people on this forum know this. After that I didn't watch too much logo branded channels or display much static imagery until around 1000 hours. After that I allowed my girlfriend to watch the TV as she pleased when I wasn't home. I had done this with my previous 65VT30 and never had a problem at all when it came to IR. After the TV was approximately 9 months old I noticed the "E!" Channel logo when displaying a white screen. I immediately had her stop watching E! And white washed and watched full screen for many hours a week. Finally 9 months later and with no E! watching on the VT60 at all today is the first day that every bit of evidence of IR is finally completely gone.

The reason I want you Guys to know this, is she had at least 1000 hours of E! channel watching logged onto my VT60. So it is possible to get rid of IR. You just need to never watch that channel again or at least until the IR is gone. Reality is if you have IR that means you most likely spent hundreds of hours watching a certain channel which means it's going to take just as many if not more most likely to get rid of it. Lastly any one using THX setting set the size, to size 2 so you can activate pixel orbiter. I have noticed a lot of image retention comes when using this setting constantly. Pixel orbiter by default is disabled with THX. And lastly don't go above 70 on the contrast. You will notice almost no difference in shadows or blacks above 70 any way.

Hopefully this helps some of you understand how to get rid of stubborn IR. basically don't watch the channel again until the IR is gone and use a lot of white wash for hours every day. Clearly in my opinion I have proved that burn in is a thing of the past at the very least considering that E! logo was branded into my set. Stubborn IR on the other hand is here to stay. Understand she didn't watch the E! channel a little bit. The channel was on at all times for hours a day. So it took a lot to get stuck there and it took even more to get rid of it. So good luck guys any IR you have should eventually go away with patience.
Hope your girlfriend doesn't "go away" because you've forbidden her to watch the E! Channel.
That and seeing you white washing the TV for many hours a week, she probably thinks you've gone crazy.

Last edited by perchancetodream; Yesterday at 12:01 PM.
post #5513 of 5516 Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

It is a trade-off for excellent picture quality, but having to constantly baby the thing for preventing IR and Burn-ins are getting very tiresome. Looking to replace soon, perhaps OLED?
post #5514 of 5516 Old Today, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
It is a trade-off for excellent picture quality, but having to constantly baby the thing for preventing IR and Burn-ins are getting very tiresome. Looking to replace soon, perhaps OLED?
Yeah, after an hour of gaming I need to do 2+ hours of screen wiping on my f8500 to rid it of all the IR. Very annoying...
post #5515 of 5516 Unread Today, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
Yeah, after an hour of gaming I need to do 2+ hours of screen wiping on my f8500 to rid it of all the IR. Very annoying...
Hmm... I have the F8500 and never do any screen wiping. There's no reason to do screen wiping for small amounts of IR - it's just a tradeoff for having of owning a plasma. Just by watching varied content, it will disappear. The only time you should really need to run the screen wipe is if you have something really stubborn that is noticeable from your normal viewing distance. If you can't see it while watching normal content from you normal viewing distance, then it's not a problem.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #5516 of 5516 Unread Today, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OLED also is prone to IR, even more so than plasma. Plasmas really aren't' that bad anymore when it comes to IR - it's only a problem if you really make it one. If you can't see it from your normal viewing distance, then don't worry about it, it goes away. I watch sports all day sometimes and never worry, it all goes away. I have two plasmas, the Samsung 64F8500 and the Panasonic 65VT30, and neither have any persistent problems. I can guarantee that IR happens all the time on them, but I wouldn't know, because I know that I treat them well enough to not worry.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page