Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5521 of 5535 Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Let me correct myself btw. I said when watching thx to activate pixel orbiter put it to size 2. That is incorrect. Turn over scan on then pixel orbiter will work with thx. Over scan should be on any way when watching tv channels. They aren't made for full pixel displays. Usually almost all have noise or are cropped in some way shape or from on the sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 5535 Old 04-23-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Okay so I got my 5300 but I don't actually have a DVD drive on my PC and I don't have a DVD player. Is there just a raw video file I could use instead?
post #5523 of 5535 Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post
Let me correct myself btw. I said when watching thx to activate pixel orbiter put it to size 2. That is incorrect. Turn over scan on then pixel orbiter will work with thx. Over scan should be on any way when watching tv channels. They aren't made for full pixel displays. Usually almost all have noise or are cropped in some way shape or from on the sides.
Very few HD channels have this issue. It's mostly an SD thing.
post #5524 of 5535 Old 05-20-2015, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGREASE View Post
Okay so I got my 5300 but I don't actually have a DVD drive on my PC and I don't have a DVD player. Is there just a raw video file I could use instead?
I just got a Samsung 5300 60" last week.

I am watching TV about 12-15 hours a day: CNBC....ESPN.....some HBO....baseball and hockey...some On-Demand TV programs. The TV rarely remains on any 1 channel for more than 1/2 hour, so no static images for hours at a time. Screen is completely filled; not watching Turner Classic Movies or watching Blu-Rays with black bars on them.

Any benefit to running one of these video discs with images ? Or should I just keep doing what I am doing ?
post #5525 of 5535 Old 05-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Very few HD channels have this issue. It's mostly an SD thing.
For HD, it's at most a YMMV thing. My local HD NBC and CBS channels have black borders along the top, and NBC also has one on the right side. NBC also always has 20-30 white flickering pixels in the upper left. Many HD channels have black borders of varying sizes and locations, and sometimes they have garbage in them. One of my favorite web pages on this issue presents ESPN as an example, and the "good" no-overscan image has garbage along the top that is absent from the "bad" overscan image, and it doesn't show any significant missing information:

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/m...7-media-center

FAIL.

For broadcast TV (cable, OTA, whatver), I always use overscan so I never see these problems, which I first noticed almost a decade ago, and which continue to this day. You're not going to miss anything important, because they assume overscan is in effect. I seriously doubt anyone is able to consistently tell any difference in sharpness.

The important thing is to make sure only one of your TV and source perform overscan. I use Windows Media Center for broadcast TV and let it perform overscan, while my Panasonic ST60 TV is configured NOT to perform overscan. I play ripped content with Kodi with no overscan, and the same for Blurays for my physical player.

That said, I sure wouldn't enable overscan on the TV so Pixel Orbiter would work, as I consider it a worthless feature.
post #5526 of 5535 Old 05-21-2015, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Weird, I only see the artifacts at the edges on some SD channels. DirecTV.
post #5527 of 5535 Old 05-21-2015, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I just got a Samsung 5300 60" last week.

I am watching TV about 12-15 hours a day: CNBC....ESPN.....some HBO....baseball and hockey...some On-Demand TV programs. The TV rarely remains on any 1 channel for more than 1/2 hour, so no static images for hours at a time. Screen is completely filled; not watching Turner Classic Movies or watching Blu-Rays with black bars on them.

Any benefit to running one of these video discs with images ? Or should I just keep doing what I am doing ?
You can keep doing what you're doing, or if you want to get out of the "danger zone" more quickly then you display a near white or white (70-100 IRE) gray scale slide. These can be found on any test disc, and you can usually loop the chapter if the pattern wants to change.

I prefer a physical commercial disc, but if you have the capability you can use the free test disc or parts of it here on AVS.

Definitely a good investment regardless if you use one now, as the high IRE windows are one method to get rid of IR if you run into it down the road.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #5528 of 5535 Old 05-29-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
high IRE windows are one method to get rid of IR if you run into it down the road.
That's good to know as I have never used discs or white screens or had any built-in IR/BI protection before I got the 5300 on my 2 other HDTVs.

2 or 3 times so far I have fallen asleep while watching an on-demand program and the program would end and the OD interface would show up. So for some time that be fixed on the screen because even though I had the TV set to go off, it was usually about 45-60 minutes after the program ended.

So far, however, I saw nothing each time I turned the TV back on in the morning.

Always good to use the TV timer to go off as it will save you SOME time without the TV being on and sometimes fixed images being locked-on, too.
post #5529 of 5535 Old 06-06-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I don't know much about plasma's but I may be able to get hold of a used 55VT65B (which is the VT60 in the USA) from a family member. From what he tells me he's had about 400-500 hours use and I'm sure he didn't really "break it in" since he's not so techie.

Have I missed the breaking in period then? Will the set be more prone IR/screen burn? I watch a lot of sports i.e. football so the scorecards are usually static, will do gaming etc. Never had a plasma, went from a CRT to an early 720p LCD which I'm still using.
post #5530 of 5535 Old 06-08-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomkid View Post
So I don't know much about plasma's but I may be able to get hold of a used 55VT65B (which is the VT60 in the USA) from a family member. From what he tells me he's had about 400-500 hours use and I'm sure he didn't really "break it in" since he's not so techie.

Have I missed the breaking in period then? Will the set be more prone IR/screen burn? I watch a lot of sports i.e. football so the scorecards are usually static, will do gaming etc. Never had a plasma, went from a CRT to an early 720p LCD which I'm still using.
No need to worry about "break in" as you already have 400-500 hours on the panel. I would recommend you watch as much varied content as you can. I have a ST50 and watch a lot NFL on Sundays in the fall and winter, but I watch a lot of other content during the week. So static logos and scoreboards have not been a problem for my panel.
post #5531 of 5535 Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 66
&$&@&&$(@;@:$@

My nephews were over yesterday and I let them play games on my F8500. We were all going out to eat and of course they stalled and stalled before finally running up at the last second. Things were so hectic I didn't think to go down and check that everything was ok.

FF to today - I've been swamped; just got home and made it downstairs for the first time since they were down there and of course - they had turned the sound off but left the console on with a static screen showing. It's been on for over a day.

I immediately turned on the screen wipe app and you can clearly see the EA logo in the top left corner, along with some other images sprinkled around the screen. I'm going to let the app run for a day and cross my fingers.

I have only myself to blame. I've been SO careful about IR since I got the TV only to let my guard down just for a second and have this happen.
post #5532 of 5535 Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Update -

Unbelievably the IR appears to be gong away fairly quickly.

Hour 1 - most of the IR was still visible but had softened considerably.

Hour 2 - most of the IR could no longer be discerned unless you really looked for it. The exception was the big EA logo. It was still pretty easy to see.

Hour 3 - the EA logo softened into a white blob. The individual E and A are no longer distinguishable.

Now - the blob has pretty much disappeared. If you know exactly where to look you can still kind of make out the outline when the screen wipe turns from grey to white but if you didn't know it was there you'd never be able to see it.

Looks like I dodged a huge bullet. How can this be? The 4:3 bars took at least a day to disappear and I hadn't watched 4:3 content anywhere close to 24 hours.
post #5533 of 5535 Old 08-12-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
Update -

Unbelievably the IR appears to be gong away fairly quickly.

Hour 1 - most of the IR was still visible but had softened considerably.

Hour 2 - most of the IR could no longer be discerned unless you really looked for it. The exception was the big EA logo. It was still pretty easy to see.

Hour 3 - the EA logo softened into a white blob. The individual E and A are no longer distinguishable.

Now - the blob has pretty much disappeared. If you know exactly where to look you can still kind of make out the outline when the screen wipe turns from grey to white but if you didn't know it was there you'd never be able to see it.

Looks like I dodged a huge bullet. How can this be? The 4:3 bars took at least a day to disappear and I hadn't watched 4:3 content anywhere close to 24 hours.
my f8500 is terrible with image retention and even an hours worth of gaming leaves behind traces for a few hours of screen wipe.
post #5534 of 5535 Old Today, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RaVer View Post
Hi all,
Panasonic has replied saying they can solve my problem by replacing the ZT for a 65AX800 ...
I'm temped to ask for a 65AX900 but i'm not sure if this is a good idea.
They can't repair the ZT
Any opinions on this please?
Panasonic is covering a burn-in issue under warranty? I thought burn-in was one of the areas they - or ANY manufacturer - NEVER covers? I've been dealing with burn-in on my VT60 for over a year; my kids watch Cartoon Network so now I have a big CN logo on the lower right side of my screen because my contrast was set to 100 (no idea how). I thought I was screwed?
post #5535 of 5535 Old Today, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_mike View Post
Panasonic is covering a burn-in issue under warranty? I thought burn-in was one of the areas they - or ANY manufacturer - NEVER covers? I've been dealing with burn-in on my VT60 for over a year; my kids watch Cartoon Network so now I have a big CN logo on the lower right side of my screen because my contrast was set to 100 (no idea how). I thought I was screwed?
I have both my VT60s set at 100 for contrast, one was calibrated and the other was set that way by the previous owner. I do notice significant image retention with bright static graphics and especially if I am playing my PS4. How many of you VT60 owners run their contrast at 100? Is that not recommended? Is that the main reason why I am seeing this image retention?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread