Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 42Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5551 of 5580 Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Correct. Any time when the brightness/contrast is set that high it is almost certain that you'll end up with stubborn heavy ir. I do watch CNN but okay after commercial breaks. Set it below 50 and you should be ok.
But then the TV is too dark...I may have to play around with the Cell Light and Brightness along with Contrast to get it right.

What are your settings now ?
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5552 of 5580 Old 12-19-2015, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
But then the TV is too dark...I may have to play around with the Cell Light and Brightness along with Contrast to get it right.

What are your settings now ?
Not sure how Samsung panels work but here are the settings on my Panasonic Plasma. I initially had both Contrast/Setting at 48 but lowered it to 45. It is perfect!

THX Mode
Contrast: 45
Brightness: 45
Color: 54
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 13
Color Temp: Warm 2
Color Mgmt: On
C.A.T.S.: Off\Video NR: On
Block NR: On
Mosquito NR: On
Black Level: Light
3:2 pulldown: Auto









80sGuy is offline  
post #5553 of 5580 Old 12-19-2015, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Not sure how Samsung panels work but here are the settings on my Panasonic Plasma. I initially had both Contrast/Setting at 48 but lowered it to 45. It is perfect!

THX Mode
Contrast: 45
Brightness: 45
Color: 54
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 13
Color Temp: Warm 2
Color Mgmt: On
C.A.T.S.: Off\Video NR: On
Block NR: On
Mosquito NR: On
Black Level: Light
3:2 pulldown: Auto
That's out of 100, right ? I thought you had a Samsung, thanks 80's !
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5554 of 5580 Old 12-19-2015, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
That's out of 100, right ? I thought you had a Samsung, thanks 80's !
Yes, 45/100. My setup is listed on my Sig below.
80sGuy is offline  
post #5555 of 5580 Old 12-23-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Good News !! My IR is IR and not apparently BI. The image has begun to fade.

Last week I could almost make out the time in the CNBC logo - and now it's unreadable. The scroll bars from left-to-right are also fading. The brightest part of the IR is the far-right CNBC logo so that will probably be the last to go.

Thanks to all for the help !
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5556 of 5580 Old 12-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Good News !! My IR is IR and not apparently BI. The image has begun to fade.

Last week I could almost make out the time in the CNBC logo - and now it's unreadable. The scroll bars from left-to-right are also fading. The brightest part of the IR is the far-right CNBC logo so that will probably be the last to go.

Thanks to all for the help !
Great to hear. Just keep watching a lot of regular tv in full screen and you'll be fine in no time. These IR's are most stubborn, especially with tickers and logos. As mentioned earlier, financial news channels are the worst.
80sGuy is offline  
post #5557 of 5580 Old 12-23-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Great to hear. Just keep watching a lot of regular tv in full screen and you'll be fine in no time. These IR's are most stubborn, especially with tickers and logos. As mentioned earlier, financial news channels are the worst.
I have to remember to stretch the screen while watching some of the few non-HD channels since they won't extend down and a black bar won't erase the IR. Thanks !

When I watch CNBC for a few minutes, I have both the cable STB and Samsung picture size set to Zoom or the biggest picture setting. Or I am using the Scroll Feature so there's no chance of imprinting the same stuff that's already there.

Thanks for your helpful comments, 80'sGuy !

Last edited by PhilipsPhanatic; 12-23-2015 at 11:40 AM.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5558 of 5580 Old 12-23-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Great to hear. Just keep watching a lot of regular tv in full screen and you'll be fine in no time. These IR's are most stubborn, especially with tickers and logos. As mentioned earlier, financial news channels are the worst.
Staying off CNBC....FoxBiz and Bloomberg TV on for a few minutes at a time tops...also avoiding CNN because their bright-white far-right corner is another IR risk (especially if something is "LIVE").

Doing the Scroll Feature for about two 3-hour blocks per day...you think that's enough or should I do more ? I could do more when it's on and even do it overnight while I sleep. Just figured at this point that the fading of the IR just has mostly to do with not watching CNBC and watching other HDTV/SDTV programs, not sure if the Scroll Feature is helping or doing nothing (not that I mind it, most of the time I am listening to programs while I am on the PC so I don't need to see them).
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5559 of 5580 Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Staying off CNBC....FoxBiz and Bloomberg TV on for a few minutes at a time tops...also avoiding CNN because their bright-white far-right corner is another IR risk (especially if something is "LIVE").

Doing the Scroll Feature for about two 3-hour blocks per day...you think that's enough or should I do more ? I could do more when it's on and even do it overnight while I sleep. Just figured at this point that the fading of the IR just has mostly to do with not watching CNBC and watching other HDTV/SDTV programs, not sure if the Scroll Feature is helping or doing nothing (not that I mind it, most of the time I am listening to programs while I am on the PC so I don't need to see them).
From what I understand, you shouldn't use the scroll/wipe too much as it shortens the life of the phosphors. Use it only if it's necessary and sparingly. The best way to tackle this (as I've done so in the past) is to disconnect the coax antenna line from the back of your TV so that it can filled the whole screen with 'static snow' and let it sit overnight.
Tom Riddle likes this.
80sGuy is offline  
post #5560 of 5580 Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
From what I understand, you shouldn't use the scroll/wipe too much as it shortens the life of the phosphors. Use it only if it's necessary and sparingly. The best way to tackle this (as I've done so in the past) is to disconnect the coax antenna line from the back of your TV so that it can filled the whole screen with 'static snow' and let it sit overnight.

Can you confirm that about the Scroll Feature ?
I stopped using it daily for my two 3-hour blocks or thereabouts.....just watching HDTV.

How did the static snow thing work ?
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5561 of 5580 Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Also, does SDTV or blown-up (using ZOOM) HDTV stuff cancel the effect of watching "sharp" HDTV viewing ?

I am using the Zoom feature a lot so that if I stop on CNBC I don't re-create the image outlines I am trying to erase. I am not using the Scroll Feature while on CNBC as per above. So using the Zoom feature on both the 5300 and the Cable STB insure that the TV doesn't recreate the outlines.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5562 of 5580 Old 12-28-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Can you confirm that about the Scroll Feature ?
I stopped using it daily for my two 3-hour blocks or thereabouts.....just watching HDTV.

How did the static snow thing work ?
Yes, this will age your screen, as it is lighting the area in full blast during the wipe. I don't ever use screen wipe, or anything else on my screen for that matter. If I can't see it from my viewing distance, then I don't care. Image retention is impossible to stop on plasmas, it's just something you have to live with, and just be sure not to abuse your set.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I; SVS PB13 Ultra FOR SALE
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
Tom Riddle is online now  
post #5563 of 5580 Old 12-28-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Also, does SDTV or blown-up (using ZOOM) HDTV stuff cancel the effect of watching "sharp" HDTV viewing ?

I am using the Zoom feature a lot so that if I stop on CNBC I don't re-create the image outlines I am trying to erase. I am not using the Scroll Feature while on CNBC as per above. So using the Zoom feature on both the 5300 and the Cable STB insure that the TV doesn't recreate the outlines.
If you mean by your below explanation, then yes. By eliminating the problem from the equation, eventually after repeated viewing, the retention will fade to nothing.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I; SVS PB13 Ultra FOR SALE
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
Tom Riddle is online now  
post #5564 of 5580 Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Yes, this will age your screen, as it is lighting the area in full blast during the wipe.
Probably can still do it but will see if I get some fade with regular HDTV viewing. If the TV only has 30,000 hours of phosphor life instead of 60,000 I am really not going to care given the $600 cost of the TV. TV life was more important 10-12 years ago when the sets cost 5-7x as much.

It's strange, Tom, because my other 720p Philips was on CNBC for years during the day and I never noticed any IR/BI. Of course, it's the light blue & white image which on the Samsung was only visible when I was up-close and watching a white ice rink. But now I see even the CNN bright-white logo leaving a very faint IR (it goes away within minutes) if it's on for 10+ minutes or longer.

Quote:
I don't ever use screen wipe, or anything else on my screen for that matter. If I can't see it from my viewing distance, then I don't care. Image retention is impossible to stop on plasmas, it's just something you have to live with, and just be sure not to abuse your set.
Gotcha....always careful, I really am just surprised because I didn't consider the images to be "fixed." CNBC goes to commercials without the scroll and logos. Plus, I watch other channels during the day and also use the DVR and On-Demand.

Could have been a rare time when I left CNBC on for 1-2 hours straight. But I'm hoping it continues to fade with normal HDTV and SDTV viewing as I stopped using the Scroll Feature.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5565 of 5580 Old 12-28-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Yes, this will age your screen, as it is lighting the area in full blast during the wipe. I don't ever use screen wipe, or anything else on my screen for that matter. If I can't see it from my viewing distance, then I don't care. Image retention is impossible to stop on plasmas, it's just something you have to live with, and just be sure not to abuse your set.
Tom, thanks for the feedback....now I'm wondering if the IR/BI IS fading or not. At first I thought it was, now I'm not sure.

I am not going to worry about it, it's a $600 stop-gap to an OLED or another expensive TV when my finances allow. And I can't see it unless watching a hockey game against the white ice ink.

I am going to go back to using the Scroll Feature 2-times a day for 1-hour at a time....morning or afternoon (maybe while watching some CNBC) and again at night when I watch some CNBC on the DVR.....down from the 4-6 hours I was doing it before. I don't want to run the thing 6-10 hours a day like I was earlier but I also don't want to go Cold Turkey.

I figure between a few hours of reduced Scrolling and regular HDTV/SDTV watching I should know by mid-January if the image is IR or BI.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5566 of 5580 Old 12-30-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Tom, thanks for the feedback....now I'm wondering if the IR/BI IS fading or not. At first I thought it was, now I'm not sure.

I am not going to worry about it, it's a $600 stop-gap to an OLED or another expensive TV when my finances allow. And I can't see it unless watching a hockey game against the white ice ink.

I am going to go back to using the Scroll Feature 2-times a day for 1-hour at a time....morning or afternoon (maybe while watching some CNBC) and again at night when I watch some CNBC on the DVR.....down from the 4-6 hours I was doing it before. I don't want to run the thing 6-10 hours a day like I was earlier but I also don't want to go Cold Turkey.

I figure between a few hours of reduced Scrolling and regular HDTV/SDTV watching I should know by mid-January if the image is IR or BI.
What model do you have?

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I; SVS PB13 Ultra FOR SALE
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
Tom Riddle is online now  
post #5567 of 5580 Old 12-30-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
What model do you have?
Samsung 5300B....just purchased in May.

I now see if I leave it on most channels with bright logos or scrolls and then put the Scrolling Feature on, I can see the IR (tougher to see or not visible if I switch channels and try and observe from normal viewing distance, as opposed to 2 feet or less).

I'm now using the Zoom feature on the cable STB and the TV to avoid the bright logos...also using the Eco Solution set to HIGH to reduce my already high Brightness/Contrast settings since most of the time the TV is to my back during the day.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5568 of 5580 Old 01-07-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
CNN TEST: If you have your settings on your TV set to pretty high Brightness/Contrast/Cell Light (as I do), see if watching CNN for a few minutes leaves a faint IR from the CNN logo on the far right side.

Report back......
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5569 of 5580 Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Member
 
SFabozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Long Island, NY and Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
CNN TEST: If you have your settings on your TV set to pretty high Brightness/Contrast/Cell Light (as I do), see if watching CNN for a few minutes leaves a faint IR from the CNN logo on the far right side.

Report back......
It does, but the FoxNews logo is worst.

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-430 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
Klipsch G-42 Soundbar
Klipsch SW-308 Sub
Harmony One Remote
SFabozzi is offline  
post #5570 of 5580 Old 01-11-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFabozzi View Post
It does, but the FoxNews logo is worst.
I don't see how....the CNN logo is larger and bright-white...the FoxNews logo is fainter and mostly blue.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5571 of 5580 Old 01-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 30
CBNC Logo is the worst - with bright white lettering and white peacock feathers. Nothing is worst than white on black. A nightmare to wash!

80sGuy is offline  
post #5572 of 5580 Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Iceberg86300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Throw up a high ire window.

ISF said 100% when I was certified in 06, but today if it's just mild IR I think 70-90% would be fine. Whatever you feel comfortable using.

In 06 we were also told to "season" a plasma with a 100% ire window for at least 100 hours before watching any real content.

This was a multifaceted approach used for several reasons, but creating both resistance to and ease of getting rid of IR was a big part of it. Only thing bigger was for calibration. I'd never touch a plasma that hadn't been seasoned in this way for at least 200 hours. Of course that was only for when the customer and I had a relationship before purchase.

Been outta the game from around ~09, so take this info for what is as current common procedure from ISF is at least slightly differently, at most completely different.


You can also:
Zoom it! At least that's what I do when watching non entertainment stuff.

And I have a Sammy LCD !!!!! I probably shouldn't even bother zooming it anymore as the flashlighting that's developed in each corner provides a decent background to keep IR at bay.

Sorry for you guys with plasmas and real issues.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline  
post #5573 of 5580 Old 01-11-2016, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
Throw up a high ire window.
What is "IRE" ?? What do the % things refer to ?

When I watch CNBC I use the Eco Sensor set to HIGH which I hear reduces cell brightness to Zero....I also set the Pic Size to WIDE.

If today's plasmas have brighter capabilities and higher contrast it makes sense that the high settings on my 2006 plasmas that I employ today would be leading to more IR on the newer Samsung as opposed to on the older Philips.

Last edited by PhilipsPhanatic; 01-12-2016 at 07:24 PM.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5574 of 5580 Old 01-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Iceberg86300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
What is "IRE" ?? What do the % things refer to ?

When I watch CNBC I use the Eco Sensor set to HIGH which I hear reduces cell brightness to Zero....I also set the Pic Size to WIDE.

If today's plasmas have brighter capabilities and higher contrast it makes sense that the high settings on my 2006 plasmas would be leading to more IR today as opposed to on the older sets.
Ire is a rather antiqued term today, but still used, and for your purpose it would be easier to find test patterns by searching for ire test patterns, as there are many other conventions and arguments for and against the term in the calibration world.

It stands for international radio engineers, and was born in the era of CRTs. Technically I shouldn't have put the % sign there. In actuality ire corresponds to voltage levels that produce different levels of gray scale, with 100 "ire units" corresponding to reference white. Decreasing the number of ire units decreases voltage, sending the gray scale towards black. The move to digital is what has caused the confusion/arguments.

That response may not be totally correct. When calibrating the software does most of the dirty work & with the few years I was calibrating I don't think I ever gained a very firm understanding of it.


So the short answer is ire levels correspond to different levels of white light output. When calibrating the patterns are used to adjust the color levels so the display is actually outputting a white "image" instead of one that may have too much green, blue, etc. They're also used to adjust the color temperature to whatever standard the display is being calibrating to.

Confused yet? Sorry for all the bouncing around here!!

Now, the reason for putting up a brighter gray scale (higher ire) on a new set is two fold: the aforementioned seasoning, and to shorten the "break in" period. When new the phosphors are very bright and tend to age at different rates very quickly, this continues throughout the life of the plasma, but not at this higher rate. So, obviously, if you are going to have your set calibrated you want to be out of this accelerated aging period or the calibration will be off in short order.

This phenomenon is what makes the initial hours on a plasma the "danger zone." Today the consensus is you really don't need to watch a white window for 200 hours. Start enjoying your set as soon as it's hooked up, but during this initial period use a lower contrast setting, watch varied content, use zoom to get logos off the screen, stay away from black bars, etc.


I know that's a lot more info than you were looking for, but it's good info to have.

If you'd like to try using gray scale patterns AVS has a free test disk you can download, just head over to that section of the forum and there is a detailed thread on its use. You can also purchase a test disc, one I highly recommend is Spears & Munsil 2nd edition. It has a full suite of very useful features including basic front panel setup, sound, clips, images, etc, and it explains things pretty well as you go.

Hope this has made some sense and not made things worse! I'm on Tapatalk and was just writing as things came to mind, no editing LOL.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline  
post #5575 of 5580 Old 01-31-2016, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have a 51" SAMSUNG F8500 plasma NIB, that I purchased last year. I just recently unpacked. I would like to break in the TV. Can someone recommend what slides, how many hours, settings, and any other important info to breaking in ?

Thank you
Technikos is offline  
post #5576 of 5580 Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technikos View Post
I have a 51" SAMSUNG F8500 plasma NIB, that I purchased last year. I just recently unpacked. I would like to break in the TV. Can someone recommend what slides, how many hours, settings, and any other important info to breaking in ? Thank you
Tech, there's a Samsung 8500 Thread in this section, probably stuff there. You can also get some tidbits from this thread going back a few pages.

I think the key is this: just don't watch TONS of stuff with fixed images that don't move. Gaming.....movies that have black bars....hours of ESPN/CNBC/FoxNews watching with their logos running continuously.

If the 8500 has the same Energy Savings feature that the 5300 has, you can set it to MED or HIGH especially if you are mostly listening to the TV or watching a station that has potential IR/BI artifacts.

But really....I would just excercise caution on Gaming/movies that don't fill the screen/bright logo channels.

You can also use WIDE 1 to protect the TV if you are mostly listening. For stuff you are watching, use 16:9 (instead of Screen Fit) with the Pixel Protection feature on (I assume the 8500 has this).

Again, the key is: avoid fixed images for long periods of time (take breaks ever 20-45 minutes if possible). If you are watching lots of channels every few hours or watching movies that fill the TV screen automatically or with the Picture Size Function enabled, don't worry.

100-200 hours of caution (a few weeks probably) and you are past the most dangerous time but see my posts on my 5300.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5577 of 5580 Old 02-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Member
 
Colargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I'm regretting not breaking in my LG PB6600. Maybe it could've saved my TV from getting such bad burn in now. No matter what I do, there seems to be permanent image retention that you can easily see on a white screen.

Guess LG doesn't make them like they use to because my old LG plasma is still running great and has no image retention whatsoever. I could leave it on CNN for example for the whole day and it wouldn't have any longterm effects. Just slight image retention at best that would fade away very quickly. Not so with the 6600 which sucks. ;_;
Colargo is offline  
post #5578 of 5580 Old 02-04-2016, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colargo View Post
Now I'm regretting not breaking in my LG PB6600. Maybe it could've saved my TV from getting such bad burn in now. No matter what I do, there seems to be permanent image retention that you can easily see on a white screen.
Describe the problem.

Quote:
Guess LG doesn't make them like they use to because my old LG plasma is still running great and has no image retention whatsoever. I could leave it on CNN for example for the whole day and it wouldn't have any longterm effects. Just slight image retention at best that would fade away very quickly. Not so with the 6600 which sucks. ;_;
No, I think it's true of most of the newer plasmas......I think the enhanced brightness/contrast is making the sets more prone to IR/BI than before.

My older 720p Philips plasmas from 2007 were on CNBC 8-10 hours a day and I never noticed any IR/BI. But I got it within a few months of getting my Samsung 5300.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
post #5579 of 5580 Old Today, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Colargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Describe the problem.
The main thing right now is that I have the CNN logo and their info bar that stretches across the screen faintly but permanently burned into my screen. Anytime I'm watching hockey I can easily see the outlines of those images.


Quote:
No, I think it's true of most of the newer plasmas......I think the enhanced brightness/contrast is making the sets more prone to IR/BI than before.

My older 720p Philips plasmas from 2007 were on CNBC 8-10 hours a day and I never noticed any IR/BI. But I got it within a few months of getting my Samsung 5300.
Not sure about the enhanced brightness because I've turned brightness down to very low levels. I never liked looking at overly bright screens for very long periods of time and its the main reason why I bought this plasma and returned an LED TV I bought before this.

With the LED, it was insane how much that screen hurt my eyes. Even turning it down to the absolute lowest I could without destroying picture quality it was still too bright for me and I had to return it and go back to plasma.

But yeah its just surprising to me that this new plasma could have IR/BI so easily when my old one was so good. :/
Colargo is offline  
post #5580 of 5580 Old Today, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colargo View Post
The main thing right now is that I have the CNN logo and their info bar that stretches across the screen faintly but permanently burned into my screen. Anytime I'm watching hockey I can easily see the outlines of those images.
Unreal...I have the same problem with the CNBC ticker !!

And like you, I only noticed it while watching a NY Rangers game !!

Look....I'm not happy I got it on mine, you aren't either. But the thing is at least on mine I can ONLY see it on an NHL game or some other program where the bottom of the screen is a very light and constant color. News programs, movies, other sports, 99% of all other channels 99.9% of the time -- I can't see anything even from 2 feet away.

Like my Samsung 5300, your LG is not a super-expensive TV. It's not a multi-thousand dollar 4K or OLED. So don't sweat it.

Quote:
Not sure about the enhanced brightness because I've turned brightness down to very low levels. I never liked looking at overly bright screens for very long periods of time and its the main reason why I bought this plasma and returned an LED TV I bought before this. With the LED, it was insane how much that screen hurt my eyes. Even turning it down to the absolute lowest I could without destroying picture quality it was still too bright for me and I had to return it and go back to plasma. But yeah its just surprising to me that this new plasma could have IR/BI so easily when my old one was so good. :/
First, how close are you to the TV and the size of it ? I am watching a 60" from about 9-10' away, so brightness isn't really an issue. You can always turn down Brightness or Contrast or Cell Light or whatever LG has as variable.

Second, it's apparently BRIGHT WHITE or RED/BLUE banner bars that are the problem: CNN..CNBC...FOX....etc. Maybe the ESPN ticker's outline, took. So if you are just mostly listening while doing PC stuff or in another room, use an Eco Setting or something to really turn down the brightness below what you would use if you were actively watching. I have normal Cell Brightness of 20 on my Samsung, but the LOW setting takes it to 14...MEDIUM to 8 and HIGH to 0. During the day when I have CNBC and I am mostly listening I have it on Medium or High. There's even a setting to turn the screen off and just have audio but I haven't used it.

Third...in conjunction with the Brightness/Eco reductions, you can always use WIDE or ZOOM to get overscan and prevent the same image from "overlapping" and leading to IR/BI. Again, if you aren't actively watching this isn't a problem.

Those are what I do now since I have CNBC on during most of the day.
PhilipsPhanatic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off