Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #5581 of 5599 Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Unreal...I have the same problem with the CNBC ticker !!

And like you, I only noticed it while watching a NY Rangers game !!

Look....I'm not happy I got it on mine, you aren't either. But the thing is at least on mine I can ONLY see it on an NHL game or some other program where the bottom of the screen is a very light and constant color. News programs, movies, other sports, 99% of all other channels 99.9% of the time -- I can't see anything even from 2 feet away.

Like my Samsung 5300, your LG is not a super-expensive TV. It's not a multi-thousand dollar 4K or OLED. So don't sweat it.
Yeah I guess it doesn't hurt as much since I bought this TV relatively cheap, but it still sucks to see it as again my old LG plasma has been so good for so long. Maybe its because my old plasma was a mid-end model and this new one is low end its why my old one is performing better.

Oh well, like I said I've kinda given up on worrying about it too much more now as it is what it is. I wish I could fix it, but it doesn't look like that's going to be possible so I'll just enjoy it for what it is and move up when the time comes.

Quote:
First, how close are you to the TV and the size of it ? I am watching a 60" from about 9-10' away, so brightness isn't really an issue. You can always turn down Brightness or Contrast or Cell Light or whatever LG has as variable.
I'm at about the same distance and as I said I really don't like overly bright screens as they kill my eyes so I always turn everything down to the bare minimum while keeping a picture quality that I'm happy with.

Quote:
Second, it's apparently BRIGHT WHITE or RED/BLUE banner bars that are the problem: CNN..CNBC...FOX....etc. Maybe the ESPN ticker's outline, took. So if you are just mostly listening while doing PC stuff or in another room, use an Eco Setting or something to really turn down the brightness below what you would use if you were actively watching. I have normal Cell Brightness of 20 on my Samsung, but the LOW setting takes it to 14...MEDIUM to 8 and HIGH to 0. During the day when I have CNBC and I am mostly listening I have it on Medium or High. There's even a setting to turn the screen off and just have audio but I haven't used it.
I can try and do that, but the only bad thing is that I kinda dislike having to constantly fiddle with picture settings depending on what I'm watching. I'm often switching channels so having to change settings every single time would be quite bothersome.

Quote:
Third...in conjunction with the Brightness/Eco reductions, you can always use WIDE or ZOOM to get overscan and prevent the same image from "overlapping" and leading to IR/BI. Again, if you aren't actively watching this isn't a problem.

Those are what I do now since I have CNBC on during most of the day.
That's something I could try too just to not have the logo/info bar across the screen all the time. Thanks for the tips.
PhilipsPhanatic likes this.

Last edited by Colargo; 02-23-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5599 Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colargo View Post
Yeah I guess it doesn't hurt as much since I bought this TV relatively cheap, but it still sucks to see it as again my old LG plasma has been so good for so long. Maybe its because my old plasma was a mid-end model and this new one is low end its why my old one is performing better.
Again...you can only see the IR/BI while watching hockey or seeing a white screen at the bottom of the TV, right ? I wouldn't have even noticed mine except I was fiddling with the Blu-Ray player right below the TV and my face was 12" from the TV while watching the Rangers game.

Quote:
I can try and do that, but the only bad thing is that I kinda dislike having to constantly fiddle with picture settings depending on what I'm watching. I'm often switching channels so having to change settings every single time would be quite bothersome.
I know...I have a button on the Samsung remote to switch between Picture Sizes but nothing that activates or can be programmed (as far as I know) to go into the Menu Settings and turn on the Energy Saving feature (OFF-LOW-MED-HI). Maybe I can do it on my Harmony 880 if I can fix it or buy a replacement.

Quote:
That's something I could try too just to not have the logo/info bar across the screen all the time. Thanks for the tips.
No problem ! Good Luck and don't worry...I was mini-freaking out when I first noticed the IR/BI now I could care less.

UNLESS you can see it while watching regular TV programs from a normal distance, don't worry. Since I am usually not watching a hockety game from 1-2 feet away, I am not gonna sweat it.
post #5583 of 5599 Old 02-28-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just picked up a plasma for free, but it has some serious burn-in. Can't upload a pic, but pretty much the middle area is where the letterbox should be has a red tint, and the black borders are...well...black. Guess the previous owner wached letterbox only.

Is it possible to wear this even somehow? How come the middle area of the screen has this yellow tint? :S
Should I show white borders, or maybe red or magneta borders to try to even out the wear?
post #5584 of 5599 Old 02-29-2016, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokisuci View Post
Just picked up a plasma for free, but it has some serious burn-in. Can't upload a pic, but pretty much the middle area is where the letterbox should be has a red tint, and the black borders are...well...black. Guess the previous owner wached letterbox only. Is it possible to wear this even somehow? How come the middle area of the screen has this yellow tint? :SShould I show white borders, or maybe red or magneta borders to try to even out the wear?
First, what model TV is it and how many hours of use ?

Second, if it has a Screen Wipe function use it.

Third, there are programs that you can download from the threads here that will act as a screenwipe if the TV has a USB port.

Fourth, for not just watch regular HDTV that completely fills the TV screen....if it doesn't use the TV or cable box functions to expand the picture using WIDE or ZOOM.
post #5585 of 5599 Old 03-03-2016, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 288
It is important that you use the "Screen Wipe" function first thing for minute when you turn on the TV.
The phosphor has to be "agitated" equally.

The worst thing you can do to a plasma screen is a sharp/thin white font/lines from a long period off state.
Again, I always use the screen wipe function for a minute before use, BUT my ST60 is like a secondary monitor for my HTPC so it's black (windows background too) till I drag the player window to it and start a movie.

Furthermore, please turn down your contrast to around 100nit or less (if you can measure with a device) and use the plasma in a dark room.
Contrast on 100 and a CNN logo from a Turned Off state (overnight) will do irreversible damage.
post #5586 of 5599 Old 03-21-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Okay I know everybody probably already posted about some Image Retention on their Panasonic ZT60's so please forgive me if I'm about to ask about the same thing from past discussions. I got the new Zelda game for my Nintendo WiiU yesterday and really enjoyed playing it for 2 hours. Well when I shut it down and switched back to watching some TV I noticed the X,Y,A,B button menu button logo stayed in the upper right corner of the screen. I can only see it on lighter or whiter screen pictures. This is the only game that I noticed it on. IR doesn't show up on Mario Kart 8, Street Fighter V or any of my other games and those games have menu logos that stay on the screen while playing too. Other than running the Screen Swipe is there something else that will help it fade away? I left the house this morning with the screen swipe running and my wife says that the X,Y, A, B buttons that were faintly burned in are almost gone. Any advise other than not playing video games on the ZT would be much appreciated. I really don't want to have a separate TV just for video games. I'd like just one TV to do it all. One member suggested the Disney Wow Pixel Flipper so I think I'll look into that too. I played a ton of video games on my VT30 and never had a problem with IR.

Thanks
Ronnie

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
post #5587 of 5599 Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Okay I know everybody probably already posted about some Image Retention on their Panasonic ZT60's so please forgive me if I'm about to ask about the same thing from past discussions. I got the new Zelda game for my Nintendo WiiU yesterday and really enjoyed playing it for 2 hours. Well when I shut it down and switched back to watching some TV I noticed the X,Y,A,B button menu button logo stayed in the upper right corner of the screen. I can only see it on lighter or whiter screen pictures. This is the only game that I noticed it on. IR doesn't show up on Mario Kart 8, Street Fighter V or any of my other games and those games have menu logos that stay on the screen while playing too. Other than running the Screen Swipe is there something else that will help it fade away? I left the house this morning with the screen swipe running and my wife says that the X,Y, A, B buttons that were faintly burned in are almost gone. Any advise other than not playing video games on the ZT would be much appreciated. I really don't want to have a separate TV just for video games. I'd like just one TV to do it all. One member suggested the Disney Wow Pixel Flipper so I think I'll look into that too. I played a ton of video games on my VT30 and never had a problem with IR.

Thanks
Ronnie
^^Some are stubborn than others. It might take weeks or even months for it to fade (or burn out) evenly. At the meantime do not play the game, just watch regular TV with Contrast and Brightness set between 60-70%. When you see improvements, set and leave them below 50%. If you decide to play the game again in the future make sure you bring the settings down to prevent heavy IR.
post #5588 of 5599 Old 03-21-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
^^Some are stubborn than others. It might take weeks or even months for it to fade (or burn out) evenly. At the meantime do not play the game, just watch regular TV with Contrast and Brightness set between 60-70%. When you see improvements, set and leave them below 50%. If you decide to play the game again in the future make sure you bring the settings down to prevent heavy IR.
Thanks 80sGuy! Also I think I'll try to check the game options to see if I can turn off the on screen menu button stuff that stays on the screen while playing. Sometimes you can shut these things off in the games so theyre not constantly up on the screen. Or I can try to play on Zoom. But if neither works then I guess I'll have to play it on another TV until I try your recommendations and get the logo to disappear. My contrast goes all the way up to 100 and I currently have it set to 55 so it's not too high. But when I watch tv tonight I'll shoot it up to 65 or 70 like you're recommending and will leave it there until the logo'g disappear.

Thank you!

post #5589 of 5599 Old 04-05-2016, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Has anyone attempted to watch a full MLB game on a Fox Sports Network channel with the new "FOX/Team Logo" bug in the upper right corner of the screen? I timed six minutes from the moment I turned my TV to FSMidwest to the commercial break during tonight's Cardinals game, and bug IR was noticeable during commercials. I'm fearful that a full nine-inning game, regardless of commercial breaks, will leave IR/burn-in that will be difficult to remedy beyond just putting my TV on HBO for two hours before I go to sleep. Has anyone else experienced this with the new Fox Sports MLB bug? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

DirecTV Xtra/HBO/NFLST/NBALP
Samsung PN60F5300 60" Plasma
Bose Solo 15 Sound System
Marantz BD7003 Blu-ray Player
Marantz TT42P Turntable
Google Chromecast (First Generation)
post #5590 of 5599 Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Gamers: Seriously guys, I play games for a stupid amount of hours on my VT60 and my older ST30, and yes IR can look like burn in that may take weeks to MONTHS to fade away, but they WILL fade. Unless the IR bothers you, don't worry about video games. IR may be easier to see in whites and grays, and certain solid colors, but in most content, it won't be an issue, and WILL FADE AWAY.

I'm someone who played the same game with the same bad static images for thousands of hours. THOUSANDS of hours with colored lifebars, ammo counts, etc. Thousands of hours worth of persistent IR that looked like burn in, went away in weeks/months, to the point that nothing was left.
gus738 likes this.
post #5591 of 5599 Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Shoe View Post
Has anyone attempted to watch a full MLB game on a Fox Sports Network channel with the new "FOX/Team Logo" bug in the upper right corner of the screen? I timed six minutes from the moment I turned my TV to FSMidwest to the commercial break during tonight's Cardinals game, and bug IR was noticeable during commercials. I'm fearful that a full nine-inning game, regardless of commercial breaks, will leave IR/burn-in that will be difficult to remedy beyond just putting my TV on HBO for two hours before I go to sleep. Has anyone else experienced this with the new Fox Sports MLB bug? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

Funny thing is I did the same thing last night while watching the Detroit Tigers play the Miami Marlins. Yes, I too had the FOX Detroit Logo stained in the upper right hand corner. This does it too when I watch the Red Wings on FOX. It seems as if that upper right hand corner is more susceptible to IR than any other area on the screen. The good thing is though that it wont stay. After the full 11 innings were over I switched to a safer channel and let it run while I was getting ready for bed. This usually does the trick and within an hour no more FOX Sports logo. If it's really bad I run the Disney Pixel Flipper and that really clears up everything.

Ronnie
B. Shoe likes this.

post #5592 of 5599 Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
After the full 11 innings were over I switched to a safer channel and let it run while I was getting ready for bed. This usually does the trick and within an hour no more FOX Sports logo. If it's really bad I run the Disney Pixel Flipper and that really clears up everything.
Thanks for the heads up! It just seemed more prominent in just six minutes than even the TNT NBA scoreboard does after a full game, or the HBO Boxing bug does after a full 3.5-hr PPV broadcast. I'll give it a go tonight and go straight to a full screen movie afterwards.

DirecTV Xtra/HBO/NFLST/NBALP
Samsung PN60F5300 60" Plasma
Bose Solo 15 Sound System
Marantz BD7003 Blu-ray Player
Marantz TT42P Turntable
Google Chromecast (First Generation)
post #5593 of 5599 Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Shoe View Post
Thanks for the heads up! It just seemed more prominent in just six minutes than even the TNT NBA scoreboard does after a full game, or the HBO Boxing bug does after a full 3.5-hr PPV broadcast. I'll give it a go tonight and go straight to a full screen movie afterwards.

Yeah you're totally right............I notice the FOX Sports logo starts to cause IR almost instantly. Any of my other sports channels and pretty much nothing. FOX sports seems to be the culprit for the IR and it sucks because I've got the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons that broadcast on that channel. ESPN is fine and also NBCSN is fine. But thankfully running a movie right after wipes the screen clean.

Ronnie

post #5594 of 5599 Old 05-23-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah you're totally right............I notice the FOX Sports logo starts to cause IR almost instantly. Any of my other sports channels and pretty much nothing. FOX sports seems to be the culprit for the IR and it sucks because I've got the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons that broadcast on that channel. ESPN is fine and also NBCSN is fine. But thankfully running a movie right after wipes the screen clean.
Ronnie
WPIX-11 in NY is now ROTATING the logo (which I actually don't think is very bright or an IR/BI threat) between the lower left and right during Mets games. I've never see that elsewhere.

They should actually switch IMO every half-inning and use the upper right too (the upper left is for the score and pitch/out stuff).
post #5595 of 5599 Old 08-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a 2nd hand TX-P50GT60B and the previous owners seem to have been watching QVC too much!

So my question is how do I tell the difference between image retention and burn in? If I'm going to return the set I can't hang on to it and wait several weeks to see if it lessens.

I've attached a photo that shows the Q bottom left and the bar above it to almost the top of the screen.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5831.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1608345  
post #5596 of 5599 Old 08-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by domcaz View Post
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a 2nd hand TX-P50GT60B and the previous owners seem to have been watching QVC too much!

So my question is how do I tell the difference between image retention and burn in? If I'm going to return the set I can't hang on to it and wait several weeks to see if it lessens.

I've attached a photo that shows the Q bottom left and the bar above it to almost the top of the screen.

Thanks!
I see what looks like an arm in the image (blue/white). Is that on the screen?

Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon 3805 l Monolith 7 Amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk RTi10s l Polk CSI-5 l Polk FXi-30s (side and rear) l Polk PSW505 l Denon DCM-280 l Oppo BD-93 l Denon Turntable/Cassette Deck l Coming soon: Denon X4300H and Subwoofer
post #5597 of 5599 Old 08-18-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
I see what looks like an arm in the image (blue/white). Is that on the screen?

Yes! That's the arm of an olympic golfer! The burn in or IR is the vertical dark box on the left of the arm going most of the way up the screen.
post #5598 of 5599 Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yes! That's the arm of an olympic golfer! The burn in or IR is the vertical dark box on the left of the arm going most of the way up the screen.
Did you try running the Disney Wow Pixel Flipper? A lot of us Plasma Owners run the disk when we get some pesky logo's that stick and what not. The screen swipe works sometimes too but not as good as the pixel flipper.

post #5599 of 5599 Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Me personally, I wouldn't deal with it, but I'm getting older and just don't have time to deal with crap like I did when I was bit younger.

Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon 3805 l Monolith 7 Amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk RTi10s l Polk CSI-5 l Polk FXi-30s (side and rear) l Polk PSW505 l Denon DCM-280 l Oppo BD-93 l Denon Turntable/Cassette Deck l Coming soon: Denon X4300H and Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page