Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 5338 Old 06-25-2008, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for the people who have experience with Samsung's TVs, is the break in period really necessary?

I'm buying a 42" plasma today with a PS3 and I want to play games on this thing. I don't wanna watch movies and break-in DVDs for a whole week till I can start gaming on it.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 5338 Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru View Post

for the people who have experience with Samsung's TVs, is the break in period really necessary?

I'm buying a 42" plasma today with a PS3 and I want to play games on this thing. I don't wanna watch movies and break-in DVDs for a whole week till I can start gaming on it.

thanks in advance

I don't think it is going to hurt it to game in moderation during the break-in period. I don't know if I would start those 3-5 hour gaming sessions just yet. Just make sure you vary the games and throw in some movies etc. Also take it off of scorch mode. I would suggest keeping the Contrast no higher than 50 while gaming during break-in.
post #573 of 5338 Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 PM

New 5010 owner here. I've been running the break in DVD for about 1 hour now. Silly question, but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

I have my old tv and components still set up to keep the family happy during the mulitple day break in period.

I have the 5010 set up with an old DVD player. The DVD player is connected to the 5010 via an RCA single video connector. Is this ok, or do I need to use my component cables? Everything appears to be fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #574 of 5338 Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Well, I'm a newbie here. I just bought my Panny TH-42PZ80U.

I have used it for a 30-40 hrs and watching some Euro2008 soccer games, also some ESPN just for a few hours 2-3 top, then I turn to other channels. I read that the channels logos can damage the TV.

Today I download the break-in DVD (and I copied to my memory SD Card) and I'm planning on leaving it playing all night and day (since I pass all day out my house).

I don't know if I can play with my Wii (My games: Mario Cart & Sports Games). I'm afraid to burn-in my TV If I play with my Wii.

A few questions:

It's the different breaking-in the TV with the SD Card or DVD? Any side effects?

How long can I leave the TV with SD Card running with the Break-In images?

The I don't know how to calibrate my TV, any tips like software, settings, etc...?

thanks and I will keep updating this.
post #575 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 AM

After about 50 hours i have played my Wii with friends, Brawl and mario kart and such with no problem.

Got Plasma?!?! Crush the LCD propaganda!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #576 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 05:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siryak View Post

I don't think it is going to hurt it to game in moderation during the break-in period. I don't know if I would start those 3-5 hour gaming sessions just yet. Just make sure you vary the games and throw in some movies etc. Also take it off of scorch mode. I would suggest keeping the Contrast no higher than 50 while gaming during break-in.

I've gamed on my 58" PN58A550 Plasma from Samsung since day one. I've got about 350 hours on it now and I've had it for like 4 weeks. About 200 hours of that is the breakin DVD since I ran it pretty much non-stop for the first week when not using TV for watching/gaming.

I generally find the TV is more prone to IR when first turned on, I'm not sure if this is typical for all plasmas or not.

The only time I've noticed IR from gaming was when playing Bourne Conspiracy and it was only once. I was fighting one of the bosses on Assassin difficultly and the life meter was on the lower right corner after about playing the game for 45 mins I turned the game off and noticed a slight image in the corner but had to look hard to see it, my girl friend could only see it after I showed it too her. 10 Mins of watching TV and it was totally gone.

This past weekend I played Lego Indiana Jones several times, usually lasting 1.5-3 hours, but ones I played for almost 5 hours straight. After that I didn't notice any IR at all, but that games mixes things up with the map load screens and cutscenes, but if you play a level for 20-30 mins the normal life/lego pieces bars are on screen all the time.

Last night my girlfriend turned the TV on and was watching a 4:3 program with lite bars on the side for maybe 5-10 mins, I then turned my HD-DVD played on to watch a DVD movie and the bootup time takes a little while and the HD-DVD logo was in the bottom right corner for maybe 20 seconds. During the opening scene of the movie it was mostly black and you could clearly see where the HD-DVD logo was and where the bars were on the sides of the screen. After about 5 mins of the movie I couldn't see the HD-DVD logo at all in anothe dark scene and the side bars faded greatly but were still a little noticeable, 5-10 mins later they were completely gone.

IR is still an issue and it is the only negative I have with my Plasma, I've been very happy with everything else so far. Even SD stuff looks great. I think I will continue to use the break in dvd more since I've heard IR happens even less after 1000 hours, and I haven't really used the breakin DVD at all in the last 10 days or so.
post #577 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdshn View Post

Well, I'm a newbie here. I just bought my Panny TH-42PZ80U.

I have used it for a 30-40 hrs and watching some Euro2008 soccer games, also some ESPN just for a few hours 2-3 top, then I turn to other channels. I read that the channels logos can damage the TV.

Today I download the break-in DVD (and I copied to my memory SD Card) and I'm planning on leaving it playing all night and day (since I pass all day out my house).

I don't know if I can play with my Wii (My games: Mario Cart & Sports Games). I'm afraid to burn-in my TV If I play with my Wii.

A few questions:

It's the different breaking-in the TV with the SD Card or DVD? Any side effects?

How long can I leave the TV with SD Card running with the Break-In images?

The I don't know how to calibrate my TV, any tips like software, settings, etc...?

thanks and I will keep updating this.

I HATE the channel logos, some of them aren't so bad, some of them are terrible and some of them are awesome.

Some channels have light/transparent logos they fit in the "aren't so bad" category. Channels like HDNET, PBS HD, CBC HD, discovery HD, etc would fit into this category.

Some channels fit into the "terrible" category because they have BRIGHT colors, aren't transparent or faded, are are quite large. Some channels even have all of those. Some terrible channels are National Geographic HD (bight yellow?!?), Fox HD (bright solid white, sometimes has red too), CTV (Green, Red, and Blue bright logo), Showcase HD, also any news/morning shows usually have terrible logos. Canada A.M., Today, Early Show, and Good Morning America all suck. I mean their logos usually intergrate the station logo and their own info and sometimes take enough space that I couldn't hide it if I laid a DVD case directly over it. Not to mention all the channels with tickers. These can be terrible.

As for the AWESOME category, their aren't many. Some stations have no logos at all or only show the logos for short periods of time. I was however watching something on ABC the other night and the station was ABC 7 (local for Michigan area and its logo was a big brightly colors 7 in a circle, it was blue and silver and white mostly. But I though it was awesome because it was almost always spinning, it was the first time I've seen this. It was spin around 2-3 times then stop spinning for 1-2 seconds and spin 2-3 times again, rise and repeat. I was thinking "why don't all stations do something like that?" For a constant logo it was by far the best I've seen so far.
post #578 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1GHTRA1N View Post

The only time I've noticed IR from gaming was when playing Bourne Conspiracy and it was only once.

The only time I have gotten it was while playing Deadliest Catch. That game is the worst about displaying a HUD that stays for a long time. Halo 3, COD 4, and UT3 I haven't had any problems with. I didn't notice any with NBA 2K7 either, but I didn't play that very long.
post #579 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 08:04 AM

k thx for the help Siryak.

but I have another issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

btw did you notice any dot crawl on the panel?
Plamsa panels suppoably lack the full color scale to reproduce smooth colors like a CRT can

This is what a CRT without dot crawl would look like:

This is what a Plasma with (extreme case of) dot crawl would look like:

did you notice that on the 360 or any of your DVDs?

I just bought a 42" plasma today and I I noticed that there's alot of dot crawling in the set.

I don't know if this's just because it's new TV. I got till saturday if I want to replace it. so help will really appreciated.
post #580 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 08:20 AM

if it is normal or not I'm not sure...but I get that on my set too.
post #581 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM

My PN50A550 has dot crawl to a degree too. Unfortunately, I don't think you can really expect a plasma or LCD to beat the picture quality of a CRT.
post #582 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 AM

I found out that some of the dot crawling was caused by the hdmi cable I'm using, 'cause when I switched to composite some of the crawling went away.

and I'm also experiencing some ghosting or trailing from moving objects on the screen. for example when playing GT5 on my PS3 all the cars that moves left or right appears really blurry. cars kinda' leaves a trail of images when it moves from one spot on the screen to another. this also happens on the ps3 main menu.

I'm going to try a different cable tonight and I'll keep you updated
post #583 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

k thx for the help Siryak.

but I have another issue:

I just bought a 42" plasma today and I I noticed that there's alot of dot crawling in the set.

I don't know if this's just because it's new TV. I got till saturday if I want to replace it. so help will really appreciated.

yeap it´s normal, this is the reasons why i´m thinking of going back to LCD instead.
post #584 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I found out that some of the dot crawling was caused by the hdmi cable I'm using, 'cause when I switched to composite some of the crawling went away.

and I'm also experiencing some ghosting or trailing from moving objects on the screen. for example when playing GT5 on my PS3 all the cars that moves left or right appears really blurry. cars kinda' leaves a trail of images when it moves from one spot on the screen to another. this also happens on the ps3 main menu.

I'm going to try a different cable tonight and I'll keep you updated

I saw this with a cable too on a LG 1080P plasma, the cable was rated for 1.2 HDMI which is usually okay. Replacing it with a 1.3 HDMI cable solved the issue, it was also with a PS3 and was like the cable didn't have enough bandwidth for 1080p. It was a monoprice cable and I'm using the exact same type of cable on my PN58A550 without issue, so maybe the quality of the cables varies a little or some sets handle lower quality cables different.
post #585 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 AM

the problem turned out to be from the TV. because when I plugged the same HDMI cable to the second HDMI port in my TV everything was perfect. there was still dot crawling but it didn't bother me when I sat far from the screen. but more importantly, the ghosting-trailing thing went away. I tried the plugging in the cable in the first hdmi port and the trailing came back. so I guess the problem is from the TV not the cable.

one more thing though. while I was running in the burn-in DVD I was drinking water neer the set and I coughed and some of the water the went on the screen :P (stupid I know) I immediately turned off the TV and whipped the screen. when I turned on the TV everything was ok.

so I'm just wondering if the water splatters will damage the screen permanently, or if its okey?
post #586 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:

while I was running in the burn-in DVD I was drinking water neer the set and I coughed and some of the water the went on the screen :P

Viewing the burn-in DVD is known to have this effect on people. It's not safe for human viewing.
post #587 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauger View Post

Viewing the burn-in DVD is known to have this effect on people. It's not safe for human viewing.

and there wasn't even a warning massage about it when I downloaded it :P

seriously though, did I just damage the TV or anything?
post #588 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Water on the screen should be fine as long as no liquid actually got into the inside. If some did get it something bad probably would have happened immediately.
post #589 of 5338 Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM

oh, ok thanks alot =]
hopefully when I get used to the set I'll start helping ppl out =]
post #590 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 AM

i have uneven phosfor wear from 4:3 viewing that is noticeable on a very light background. darks are not so bad. my question is this. I have been careful from now on not to view at all with any black or grey bars ect. and have tried various methods like the burn in dvd, pixel protector, and even an inverse pattern 4:3 image. as long as my viewing is constantly full screen now, will my phosfors eventually even out and the light dark contrast go away??
post #591 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip034 View Post

i have uneven phosfor wear from 4:3 viewing that is noticeable on a very light background. darks are not so bad. my question is this. I have been careful from now on not to view at all with any black or grey bars ect. and have tried various methods like the burn in dvd, pixel protector, and even an inverse pattern 4:3 image. as long as my viewing is constantly full screen now, will my phosfors eventually even out and the light dark contrast go away??

Sorry, I don't believe it is possible to even out that kind of wear. Think about it. The sides are uneven now. You watch full screen. The sides have an image on it now, but so does the rest of the screen. There is no way for the sides to "catch up" to the rest of the screen as the entire screen is displaying an image. The only way would be if you displayed only an image on the sides and not the rest of the screen.

This kind of wear, in my opinion, is not IR or burn in but uneven phosphor wear that the cells in the center of the screen are aging faster then the sides so it will always have this.

post #592 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:

This is surprising...how many hours of 4:3 viewing did you have and can you provide more detail or (better) a picture of your screen, perhaps paused with a full screen solid color that best displays the issue.

Also, what brand is your Display. Some Displays, e.g., LG PG60 series has a inverse image option, so you could turn on that feature and play 4:3 content, thus causing the black pillars to become white. It's a pretty nifty feature and especially useful for folks that watch content with static crawlers as the negative image washes away the IR in a very short period of time. I would imagine other MFRs would have something similar...check out what countermeasures your has before you lose heart.
post #593 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

i have uneven phosfor wear from 4:3 viewing...

Not knowing how many hours you've put on and what your viewing habits have been it's impossible to say.

Completely reversing it is probably a stretch, but it may become less and less apparent over time. For instance, if the TV has 1000 hours on it now, and 500 of them were watching 4:3 content, then the sides of the screen have only been on 50% of the time that the rest have. If you watch full screen stuff exclusively from this point on, that % will decrease. ie, at 5,000 total hours, the side bars will have been used for 4,500 hours to the center's 5,000 hours - only a 10% difference. That decrease in "unevenness" would cause the side bars to be less noticeable, I think.

jeff
post #594 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Sorry, I don't believe it is possible to even out that kind of wear. Think about it. The sides are uneven now. You watch full screen. The sides have an image on it now, but so does the rest of the screen. There is no way for the sides to "catch up" to the rest of the screen as the entire screen is displaying an image. The only way would be if you displayed only an image on the sides and not the rest of the screen.

This kind of wear, in my opinion, is not IR or burn in but uneven phosphor wear that the cells in the center of the screen are aging faster then the sides so it will always have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr1776 View Post

This is surprising...how many hours of 4:3 viewing did you have and can you provide more detail or (better) a picture of your screen, perhaps paused with a full screen solid color that best displays the issue.

Also, what brand is your Display. Some Displays, e.g., LG PG60 series has a inverse image option, so you could turn on that feature and play 4:3 content, thus causing the black pillars to become white. It's a pretty nifty feature and especially useful for folks that watch content with static crawlers as the negative image washes away the IR in a very short period of time. I would imagine other MFRs would have something similar...check out what countermeasures your has before you lose heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Not knowing how many hours you've put on and what your viewing habits have been it's impossible to say.

Completely reversing it is probably a stretch, but it may become less and less apparent over time. For instance, if the TV has 1000 hours on it now, and 500 of them were watching 4:3 content, then the sides of the screen have only been on 50% of the time that the rest have. If you watch full screen stuff exclusively from this point on, that % will decrease. ie, at 5,000 total hours, the side bars will have been used for 4,500 hours to the center's 5,000 hours - only a 10% difference. That decrease in "unevenness" would cause the side bars to be less noticeable, I think.

jeff

thanks for all your replies. my plasma is a vizio vmp60 about one year old and it was probably used for 4:3 viewing less than half the time (watched more hd content even though a lot of the time there was hd materials in 4:3 format) i have posted a few pics also
LL
LL
post #595 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:

thanks for all your replies. my plasma is a vizio vmp60 about one year old and it was probably used for 4:3 viewing less than half the time (watched more hd content even though a lot of the time there was hd materials in 4:3 format) i have posted a few pics also

I assume those pics were of a light gray solid image similar to what you find on the break-in disc...correct?

First off, the shading doesn't seem that bad and probably isn't even noticable during normal use. That said, I'm just OCD enough for it to drive me nuts just knowing its there, so completely understand.

Assuming average use, you probably have 2000-3000 hours on your display and if 40-50% of that was 4:3, I'm surprised the wear isn't more uneven.

Have you checked to see if your Vizio has a image reversal feature I mentioned? Even with such a feature, it will take some time to start and even things out. Without it you are facing the situation described by greenjp in that you'd probably need a good 1,000+ hours to significantly even out the wear.

A final possibility might be to take the static images from the break-in DVD and replace the center 4:3 section of each image with solid black. In essence you would be creating a pillar only break-in disc and would then be evenly wearing only the right and left portions of the screen. Running that continuously, you may be able to even things out rather quickly.
post #596 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr1776 View Post

I assume those pics were of a light gray solid image similar to what you find on the break-in disc...correct?

First off, the shading doesn't seem that bad and probably isn't even noticable during normal use. That said, I'm just OCD enough for it to drive me nuts just knowing its there, so completely understand.

Assuming average use, you probably have 2000-3000 hours on your display and if 40-50% of that was 4:3, I'm surprised the wear isn't more uneven.

Have you checked to see if your Vizio has a image reversal feature I mentioned? Even with such a feature, it will take some time to start and even things out. Without it you are facing the situation described by greenjp in that you'd probably need a good 1,000+ hours to significantly even out the wear.

A final possibility might be to take the static images from the break-in DVD and replace the center 4:3 section of each image with solid black. In essence you would be creating a pillar only break-in disc and would then be evenly wearing only the right and left portions of the screen. Running that continuously, you may be able to even things out rather quickly.

the image from the picture is the image cleaner function on the tv itself. i have an inverse 4:3 pattern that i burned to a dvd and have it on a continuos loop. i have ran it for a couple nights straight through a few weeks ago and it didnt seem to make a difference. perhaps it will take longer than i expected
post #597 of 5338 Old 06-27-2008, 02:42 PM

would anyone be able to tell me how ( and if at all possible) to configure the burn in disc so that only the pillars on a 4:3 screen will change color?
post #598 of 5338 Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Could someone add the jpg's for Evangelo's Break-in loop files to a post in this thread??
I am unable to unzipp files on my PS3.

Thanks!

wHy So SeRiOus???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #599 of 5338 Old 06-29-2008, 02:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

would anyone be able to tell me how ( and if at all possible) to configure the burn in disc so that only the pillars on a 4:3 screen will change color?

Not possible.
post #600 of 5338 Old 06-29-2008, 06:40 AM

Can anyone please tell me where exactly I should have my settings when I use the break in DVD for a Panny 800U ?? I heard 2 different settings, and I am a bit confused...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page