Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey87 View Post

I just bought a 50" LG plasma 50pg25 i believe is the model. I bought into the futureshop salesman hype and went for that model instead of that samsung that i originally intended on buying. He told me it had burin in reduction features and lg covers all burn in with their warranty. This tv has absolutey no burn in features like the wipe or the orbitor.

Long story short, ive been playing BF Bad company and the image of the radar screen is not going away, as well as the ammo counter. Any tips on what i can do to get rid of it and prevent it in the future?

FWIW, my Panasonic PX77U doesn't have any selectable burn in features either, and it never gets IR or burn in. I believe with many sets the orbiter feature is just on all the time, not something you turn on or off.

Anyway, have you taken the set out of Vivid or Dynamic or whatever mode LG calls it? Have you turned the contrast down to 50% or lower?

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
That may have been the problem i did have it on vivid ever since i bought it about three weeks ago. I just turned the contrast down to 50 so hopefully after a while the ir will go away. Do you think running the break in dvd or just a normal dvd would help get rid of it?
post #723 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

That may have been the problem i did have it on vivid ever since i bought it about three weeks ago. I just turned the contrast down to 50 so hopefully after a while the ir will go away. Do you think running the break in dvd or just a normal dvd would help get rid of it?

.. added to my last post: page 86 of your owner's manual speaks of orbiter, white wash & inversion for your plasma.
post #724 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 AM

Didnt see your post before daniel but thanks for the info. I guess i should look a lil harder through the manual lol.
post #725 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

oof, that could explain it. I'd find that white wash feature and try that out, or tune the TV to a full screen HD tv station that does not have a harsh logo and let it run overnight. Break in DVD should work fine too. Whatever you use make sure it covers the full screen and doesn't have bright static logos.

jeff
post #726 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

oof, that could explain it. I'd find that white wash feature and try that out, or tune the TV to a full screen HD tv station that does not have a harsh logo and let it run overnight. Break in DVD should work fine too. Whatever you use make sure it covers the full screen and doesn't have bright static logos.

jeff

It might take a few days to fix Ir that it caused 3 weeks on vivid to cause, That is about the worst possible way to have the tv set while it is new.

Just be careful about leaving the tv on unattended. Some times digital over the air can freeze if signal drops, and they tend to cut it back at night. If you have sat or cable the risk is minimum.
post #727 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

I still get IR pretty often from watching movies/programs in 4:3 I have the sidebar set at light on the TV, and grey on the SA HD box. I keep my TV in movie mode. My brightness is at 46 and my contrast is at 80. All features are turned off. I have tried to go down on the contrast, but the picture gets too dark for my liking.
post #728 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_H View Post

I still get IR pretty often from watching movies/programs in 4:3 I have the sidebar set at light on the TV, and grey on the SA HD box. I keep my TV in movie mode. My brightness is at 46 and my contrast is at 80. All features are turned off. I have tried to go down on the contrast, but the picture gets too dark for my liking.

.. do you have to watch 4:3 mostly (for affect) or do you mind using "Just Scan" to fill the screen (so no side-bar IR); if plasma is relatively new also, less than ~200hrs (or so), you need to be careful watching 'alot' of 4:3 films/movies/programming (limit).
post #729 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM

I dont care to watch them in 4:3, but I dont like the stretch look either. Usually the only time anything is played in 4:3 is when my wife watches some of her shows like super nanny and such, so the time is very limited. As I said in a previous post, If I had to guess, I would say I have over 500 hours on the TV. Thats figuring 6 hours a day for the last 90 days. Somedays it's not on longer than a hour or so.
post #730 of 5345 Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_H View Post

.. As I said in a previous post, If I had to guess, I would say I have over 500 hours on the TV. Thats figuring 6 hours a day for the last 90 days. Somedays it's not on longer than a hour or so.

.. "i have no response to that"

no, really, you're set is pretty well broke-in; hopefully, the IR doesn't 'linger' much & as it ages, will be merely a fading 'burp' you thought you saw.

best.
post #731 of 5345 Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I just bought a 50" LG plasma 50pg25 i believe is the model. I bought into the futureshop salesman hype and went for that model instead of that samsung that i originally intended on buying. He told me it had burin in reduction features and lg covers all burn in with their warranty.

If the salesman told you that, then he was lying. Because they do not cover burn-in under warranty.

This is direct from page 72 of the owners manual for the LG.

http://us.lge.com/download/product/f...G25_manual.pdf

"! NOTE

If a fixed image is displayed on the screen for a long time, the image could become imprinted on the screen and remain visible.

This phenomenon is common to all manufacturers and is not covered by warranty. "
post #732 of 5345 Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
According to killswitch_19, burn-in is covered on the PG60 models.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13621750

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #733 of 5345 Old 08-01-2008, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah well.... I believe what the both the printed on online manual from LG says about burn-in not being covered under warranty in this case, before I will ever believe what a salesman or someone else says that they heard second hand from their co-workers.

And just like for the PG25's, guess what it also says about this on page 72 in the PG60 manual......

http://us.lge.com/download/product/f...G60_manual.pdf

"NOTE

If a fixed image is displayed on the screen for a long time, the image could become imprinted on the screen and remain visible.

This phenomenon is common to all manufacturers and is not covered by warranty."
post #734 of 5345 Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 AM

Does burn only happen in 4:3 mode when you have the bars on the side?
post #735 of 5345 Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastinc View Post

Does burn only happen in 4:3 mode when you have the bars on the side?

No, it's certainly not the only way. You can even run the risk burn-in during full screen 16:9 viewing, if you watch too much of the wrong things, without also viewing enough of a mixture of other material to balance it out.

Anything like too much of a bright station logo, video game scores/health meter or even something like a stock market quote thats always moving along on the botton of the screen or anything else that's always in the same location can also do it. Granted it may take many hours or days or even months in many cases, but if you do too much of the same thing for long enough, it can happen.
post #736 of 5345 Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 AM

yah i guess plasma isnt for me i let my tv run on 24 hr sports netowrks fors hours a day even while im on the comp just listening to the sports stuff all night
post #737 of 5345 Old 08-14-2008, 06:51 AM

hey guys =)

I noticed while I'm playing on my ps2 and some of my wii games [like super paper mario] that there's some thin black bars on the side. I handle this very carefully, I don't play for more than 3 hours straight. and I leave the built-in burn-in washing thing for hours after it.

but it would be much more convenient if there's a way to stretch the screen horizontally. I have a 42" samsung plasma ['08 models] and I noticed there's only an opthion for stretching the image vertically. and I was wandering if there was a way to stretch it horizontally.
post #738 of 5345 Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru View Post

hey guys =)

I noticed while I'm playing on my ps2 and some of my wii games [like super paper mario] that there's some thin black bars on the side. I handle this very carefully, I don't play for more than 3 hours straight. and I leave the built-in burn-in washing thing for hours after it.

but it would be much more convenient if there's a way to stretch the screen horizontally. I have a 42" samsung plasma ['08 models] and I noticed there's only an opthion for stretching the image vertically. and I was wandering if there was a way to stretch it horizontally.

Model number? You should have zoom and stretch modes, zoom should fill the screen.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #739 of 5345 Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Quick question.

I have a Samsung HP-T4254 Plasma.
I've had my screen in "break-in" settings since I bought it, January of this year. The TV should be past its break-in point, but I still keep these settings because I like the way it looks, and I know it is less likely to give me BI or IR problems.

Thing is when I play games, and I've played games with stagnant info bars, like GT5P, BF Bad Company, and won't get any kind of IR from these games at all. But then games like Forza 2, Saint's Row (especially), Uncharted, or MGS4, I will get a small amount of IR from. I attribute this to the colors of the bars, the aforementioned games have "softer" color palletes used for these bars, but the other games seem to use a brighter color. Not necessarily black and white either. For the small amount of time that I have ammo up on uncharted, is still enough time to get a little bit of noticeable IR in blacks.

Could there be something wrong with my break in settings? Maybe color is turned up to high? I'm sorry I can't post them right now, I'm at work. If it would be beneficial to post my settings, I will when I get home. Other than that, is this even behavior to worry about? When I get a full screen image it wipes out this IR in a matter of seconds it seems.

Is my TV set wrong, am I not actually out of break-in period yet? I don't really use it to much, if I get an hour a day I'm lucky.

Should I even worry, and this is just normal behavior?
post #740 of 5345 Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Model number? You should have zoom and stretch modes, zoom should fill the screen.

well the model difers from region to region so there's no point in telling you the model number since I live in asia. but what I know is that it's the '08 model and it's the one that comes with only 2 hdmi slot.

well zoom only stretches the image vertically but not horizontally.
post #741 of 5345 Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBizMachine View Post

Quick question.

I have a Samsung HP-T4254 Plasma.
I've had my screen in "break-in" settings since I bought it, January of this year. The TV should be past its break-in point, but I still keep these settings because I like the way it looks, and I know it is less likely to give me BI or IR problems.

Thing is when I play games, and I've played games with stagnant info bars, like GT5P, BF Bad Company, and won't get any kind of IR from these games at all. But then games like Forza 2, Saint's Row (especially), Uncharted, or MGS4, I will get a small amount of IR from. I attribute this to the colors of the bars, the aforementioned games have "softer" color palletes used for these bars, but the other games seem to use a brighter color. Not necessarily black and white either. For the small amount of time that I have ammo up on uncharted, is still enough time to get a little bit of noticeable IR in blacks.

Could there be something wrong with my break in settings? Maybe color is turned up to high? I'm sorry I can't post them right now, I'm at work. If it would be beneficial to post my settings, I will when I get home. Other than that, is this even behavior to worry about? When I get a full screen image it wipes out this IR in a matter of seconds it seems.

Is my TV set wrong, am I not actually out of break-in period yet? I don't really use it to much, if I get an hour a day I'm lucky.

Should I even worry, and this is just normal behavior?

well I have my plasma for a month now, and I can tell you that's this's perfectly normal imo. the set gives IR even if there's was a static image for 3 seconds. for example. if I started GTA4 and kept the map on for 2 seconds and then pressed start, I'll see some IR left by the map. but it goes away after watching some full screen content or using the built-in IR washing features. I played GTA4 and MGS4 for 6 hours straight each![with only 40 hours of breaking-in the set] and the IR went away after using the IR washing features for a couple of hours.

that's my thoughts on plasma sets.

you can also wait for responses from other people with more knowledge than me =D
post #742 of 5345 Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru View Post

well the model difers from region to region so there's no point in telling you the model number since I live in asia. but what I know is that it's the '08 model and it's the one that comes with only 2 hdmi slot.

well zoom only stretches the image vertically but not horizontally.

I guess there isn't much point in anyone trying to answer your question then. I know models vary by region, the model number is usually different as well. Without a model number there is no way for anyone to know what features and capabilities your TV has. My best recommendation is to call customer service and ask them.

post #743 of 5345 Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

I guess there isn't much point in anyone trying to answer your question then. I know models vary by region, the model number is usually different as well. Without a model number there is no way for anyone to know what features and capabilities your TV has. My best recommendation is to call customer service and ask them.

oh, well thx anyway =) I'll contact them and see what happens.

I thought that only the model names changes... oh well I guess I need to call samsung then =D
post #744 of 5345 Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM

What's worse 'letterbox and 4:3' or a 'life bar' and 'ammo count'? BI from stationary color or non burned letterbox stuff?
post #745 of 5345 Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Hello. First time Plasma owner. I have a Vizio VP322 (Dont flame because its not an LG, Panny....etc)

I am petrified of burn in. Just using the damn menu shows image retention on the screen. For gods sakes, the mute symbol shown for 3 seconds leaves retention.

I really want to take it back to walmart because im so afraid of burn in and ruining the tv.

I dont have a stand alone DVD player for the calibration break in dvd, I only have a ps3 and that thing will run my electric bill up.

Should I be so afraid and how can I break it in? It seems that every damn channel I watch has a symbol on it and im afraid im going to have the NBC peacock or FOX burnt in.

HELP ME!
post #746 of 5345 Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ If you are truly petrified of burn-in then I doubt any amount of reassurance would assuage your fears. You would probably be better off with an LCD. I do believe that the plasma model you own seems to have more of a problem with IR than first tier plasmas. I really don't worry about IR on my Panasonic plasma, I don't even take any precautions. I haven't had a problem with IR in the two and a half years I've had it.

post #747 of 5345 Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralriker View Post

I really want to take it back to walmart because im so afraid of burn in and ruining the tv.

That was your 1st mistake...
post #748 of 5345 Old 08-15-2008, 11:47 PM

Yes Walmart. Maybe some of us dont have $1000+ to buy a new TV.
post #749 of 5345 Old 08-16-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralriker View Post

Yes Walmart. Maybe some of us dont have $1000+ to buy a new TV.

The problem is not "WALMART" per se. Lesser brand plasmas (this includes LG and Samsung) drive their cells less efficiently which in return making it more to susceptible to IR which furthermore making them more susceptible to the possibiloity of burn-in.

Panasonic and Pioneer drive their cells a lot more efficiently making them far far far less susceptible to IR thus virtually eliminate the possibility of accidental burn-in.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #750 of 5345 Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Well...

Had the first "issue" with the new Kuro baby....

Was running the USB THUMBDRIVE BREAK-IN...

Went to sleep...

Woke up to check on the baby...

Slideshow was NOT RUNNING...was stuck on a "dimmed" menu of the USB files.

So, of course IR/BURN-IN of the menu and tools, etc..!!!

Now running VIDEO PATTERN to hopefully "get rid of" / wipe the baby.

Lesson: Babies are hard to take care of and require constant attention!

Crossing fingers now...

Any tips here? Is there a setting that if it "sits" on a menu the TV will shut off? Most it could have been this way was 6 hours.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page