Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 5326 Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I am the proud new owner of a 9G elite... can't wait! I have burned the break-in DVD & am wondering if I can just leave the TV on the default settings for the break-in period? I assume adjusting the levels as per the specs from the OP is designed to push the brightness & color levels higher during break-in but if I plan to watch std TV & movies during the break-in period I'd assume I would have to re-adjust everytime for best picture? I hope that makes sense. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5326 Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TV is being delivered soon, a Panasonic 37PX80.

For break-in, I am using a SD card with the images available at www.eaprogramming.com.

Should I set the slideshow time to 5 seconds so each image is shown for 5 seconds or a higher number like 10 or 30 seconds?
post #813 of 5326 Old 09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

After so much reading into this burn in period, and seeing that it is so important in preventing 'BURN IN', why doesn't the manufacturer burn in the TV for us? Why do we have to do it? Wouldn't it be so much easier to buy your TV knowing that you dont have to waste your time worrying about the first 200 or so crucial hours?

Your thoughts?

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
Videotron - Illico HD terminal
post #814 of 5326 Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

After so much reading into this burn in period, and seeing that it is so important in preventing 'BURN IN', why doesn't the manufacturer burn in the TV for us? Why do we have to do it? Wouldn't it be so much easier to buy your TV knowing that you dont have to waste your time worrying about the first 200 or so crucial hours?

Your thoughts?

Somebody, D-Nice maybe, swears up and down that Panasonic runs the TVs for 100 hours before they leave the factory. I don't know if that's true or not.

jeff
post #815 of 5326 Old 09-23-2008, 02:51 AM

If plasmas are so prone to IR and burn in, WHY do television broadcasters insist on having their channel logo permanently displayed in a fixed possition? As a result of this, I now have disneys playhouse logo burnt into the bottom left corner of the screen. Can they be held liable for the damage? There should be world wide action taken to stop these logo's from being displayed.
post #816 of 5326 Old 09-23-2008, 03:51 AM

Or against plasma TV set's manufacturers... :-)
I own a plasma set for a year now. It's good for movies, no questions here. So I use it mainly for what it's good for. For regular TV there are LCDs and CRTs. There are as many as five display technologies available nowadays, and none of them is perfect or universal, unfortunately.
post #817 of 5326 Old 09-23-2008, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowun View Post

If plasmas are so prone to IR and burn in, WHY do television broadcasters insist on having their channel logo permanently displayed in a fixed possition? As a result of this, I now have disneys playhouse logo burnt into the bottom left corner of the screen. Can they be held liable for the damage? There should be world wide action taken to stop these logo's from being displayed.

Because plasma TV's make up a VERY small portion of all the TV's sold and in use and are the only sets that suffer from this problem. Just a few percentage at that. No one is going to do such a large change and spend money on it just to satisfy a small portion of the population

post #818 of 5326 Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Because plasma TV's make up a VERY small portion of all the TV's sold and in use and are the only sets that suffer from this problem. Just a few percentage at that. No one is going to do such a large change and spend money on it just to satisfy a small portion of the population

there is no need for "large change and spend money on it" to make the station bug translucent and not stay in one corner. There is also no need for "large change and spend money on it" to show the station bug just for several seconds here and there as opposed to have it 100% solid and 100% there all the time.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #819 of 5326 Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

there is no need for "large change and spend money on it" to make the station bug translucent and not stay in one corner. There is also no need for "large change and spend money on it" to show the station bug just for several seconds here and there as opposed to have it 100% solid and 100% there all the time.

Sure there is. The stations would have to re-design their logo and do this for every show that exists on their channel to make it transparent. That is a LARGE change. You are talking about a lot of shows and money to pay for a redesign If you think a large station like NBC would just take out Adobe Paint and whip something together then you are sadly mistaken.

post #820 of 5326 Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Sure there is. The stations would have to re-design their logo and do this for every show that exists on their channel to make it transparent. That is a LARGE change. You are talking about a lot of shows and money to pay for a redesign If you think a large station like NBC would just take out Adobe Paint and whip something together then you are sadly mistaken.

I have to disagree. Adding some transparency to already existing logos is an easy and quick job. In fact, I be willing to bet it could be done in much less than a day, bureaucracy notwithstanding.

Plasma aside, I'd be thrilled to see them do away with most of the onscreen garbage they put out now. USA and FOX are especially egregious, some of those corner ads are practically PIP. My favorite is when I get a 30 second Kyra Sedgwick ad during the Closer!

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
post #821 of 5326 Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM

I created a plasma break in screensaver as I had problems with using the image files from the website in vista with image mounting and dvd playing programs.. they would all play the colors extremely fast.

I thought I would make them available for anyone who wants them. They don't work perfectly at least in vista, as vista will delete the screensaver file right after the program tries to install it, however right after installing it will pop up the screensaver window. If you use the "preview" function during that time, it should run properly until you stop it by clicking the mouse. If you want to run it in the future, just run the installer again. Also upon trying to copy the file itself into the system32 folder I noticed the resolution get messed up.. but hey, it works for me so if you wanna use em, go ahead.. if it doesn't, sorry I couldn't help.

15 and 30 second versions were created.

http://rapidshare.com/files/14802662...saver15sec.exe

http://rapidshare.com/files/14802640...saver30sec.exe
post #822 of 5326 Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

I have to disagree. Adding some transparency to already existing logos is an easy and quick job. In fact, I be willing to bet it could be done in much less than a day, bureaucracy notwithstanding.

Plasma aside, I'd be thrilled to see them do away with most of the onscreen garbage they put out now. USA and FOX are especially egregious, some of those corner ads are practically PIP. My favorite is when I get a 30 second Kyra Sedgwick ad during the Closer!

But some of the time, just adding transparency is not enough. By doing this it ruins the logo or makes it unreadable due to design, layout, etc. Some logos are more then just letters, they are overlaying images, etc. Not only does a station have to handle its station logo they have to do it for every show name too. Just saying, its not something they can just push a few buttons and it is done, and with how expensive the entertainment industry is, I bet this would cost them more then we think (approvals, test run, design costs, etc.)

post #823 of 5326 Old 09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uhmmm, I used to work for a TV station. There is a slider so I can choose the transparency of the station bug... and that was way back when in 1992.

my home theatre

post #824 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Uhmmm, I used to work for a TV station. There is a slider so I can choose the transparency of the station bug... and that was way back when in 1992.

Does the slider let you immediately change the design of the logo? Does the slider let you get instant approval? I am sure everything you did 16 years ago is the exact same now at every major broadcaster.

post #825 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Does the slider let you immediately change the design of the logo? Does the slider let you get instant approval? I am sure everything you did 16 years ago is the exact same now at every major broadcaster.

Oh come on, do you really think graphics are that difficult these days? Somebody who used to do that has told you it is not a big deal yet you still persist. Why? What makes your opinion better qualified?

It's not rocket science. The only reason for loud graphics is to be noticed, and for some reason TV executives don't think they annoy the heck out of people. Has nothing to do with the difficulty of designing a different logo, which would take a professional all of about 30 minutes.

One of the worst national offenders, Music HD, partially figured that out when they made the name change to Palladia. They now use a transparent logo most of the time, although the big butterfly they use the rest of the time is worse than the old MHD one. If History Channel and TLC could figure it out as well, I can't think of any other blatently bad national stations. For bugs, anyway. Annoying advertisements and tickers that take up large portions of the screen, that's another matter.
post #826 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM

It is really annoying period to have to view all these logos and garbage when were trying to watch tv in the first place. We all know what stations we have on when were watching them, why do they have to plaster there logos all over the damn screen in the first place. Years and years ago broadcasters got by just fine without having to bombard us with there damn logos, now its becoming ridiculous, it's coming to a point now were the logos are starting to invade the actual viewing of tv programs/movies ect... Plus it does effect people that do own plasma screens regardless how well these screens handle ir/bi . They need to just get rid of these logos period. I bet they lose viewers because of these damn logos, I'm sure it doesn't help any to attract viewers either. Like I said we all know when were watching a certain channel we all know what channel it is right. This logo crap is getting worse and worse and something really needs to be done about it to be honest.
post #827 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
The logos are annoying on multiple levels, seems to me the easiest solution would be for them to just move them around a bit. Every 5-10 minutes it could switch to the left side of the screen or something.

That said I've never had IR from a logo on my 50PX77U. I watch shows on Fox, games on ESPN, shows with tickers and whatnot, etc. Now, I don't generally watch any given channel for more than 6 hours at a time (1 pm and 4 pm football games), nor do I have a DVR, which would allow me to skip the logo-less commercials that I believe go a long way towards preventing logo IR.

jeff
post #828 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmn View Post

Oh come on, do you really think graphics are that difficult these days? Somebody who used to do that has told you it is not a big deal yet you still persist. Why? What makes your opinion better qualified?

It's not rocket science. The only reason for loud graphics is to be noticed, and for some reason TV executives don't think they annoy the heck out of people. Has nothing to do with the difficulty of designing a different logo, which would take a professional all of about 30 minutes.

One of the worst national offenders, Music HD, partially figured that out when they made the name change to Palladia. They now use a transparent logo most of the time, although the big butterfly they use the rest of the time is worse than the old MHD one. If History Channel and TLC could figure it out as well, I can't think of any other blatently bad national stations. For bugs, anyway. Annoying advertisements and tickers that take up large portions of the screen, that's another matter.

I hate doing this, I rarely ever do the, my friend works somewhere, etc. But since you guys are relentless I have to say, I know someone who works at NBC. I called him and asked is he could find the answer to this. He got back to me and basically said he agreed with me. He found that it is easy to design a graphic but what a lot of people fail to realize is just because Joe Smith designed something does not mean they can then implement it. It takes multiple levels of approval. In addition, it takes testing to make sure the new design works on multiple backgrounds, colors, etc. He agreed with you guys, it is really easy to change transparency, design one, etc. REALLY easy. But the approval process is through the roof. And in fact it is VERY expensive (by our standards) because you have to follow so many procedures, rules, testing, approvals, etc. that when everything is factored in, including soft costs, it is expensive to make a change like this and not taken lightly by executives.

post #829 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

I hate doing this, I rarely ever do the, my friend works somewhere, etc. But since you guys are relentless I have to say, I know someone who works at NBC. I called him and asked is he could find the answer to this. He got back to me and basically said he agreed with me. He found that it is easy to design a graphic but what a lot of people fail to realize is just because Joe Smith designed something does not mean they can then implement it. It takes multiple levels of approval. In addition, it takes testing to make sure the new design works on multiple backgrounds, colors, etc. He agreed with you guys, it is really easy to change transparency, design one, etc. REALLY easy. But the approval process is through the roof. And in fact it is VERY expensive (by our standards) because you have to follow so many procedures, rules, testing, approvals, etc. that when everything is factored in, including soft costs, it is expensive to make a change like this and not taken lightly by executives.

We're not the only relentless ones here you know.

Thank you. I don't think anybody claimed the approval process was simple, and I do personally know how expensive and annoying red tape can be. However, they must make decisions on a nearly daily basis about various graphics anyway. So I don't quite buy the argument that it is cost prohibitive.

It's interesting that you bring up NBC. I'm not sure about this, but didn't they used to have a transparent peacock logo? I am sure the Olympic logo was new, and I'm pretty sure the regular peacock has recently changed. So obviously they have had opportunities to "do the right thing" and did not.

Even if I did not own a plasma, I would feel the same way. Gaudy logos are annoying and distracting.
post #830 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

also why do you need to change the graphic? Changing the opacity is mutually exclusive to changing the graphics.

my home theatre

post #831 of 5326 Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 PM

I just got Panny's PX80 and when I started running the breakin DVD, I encountered some issues.

At first, everything seems to be fine, each picture of solid colors in the DVD looks consistent with all pixels displaying the same color.

However, after about 1 hour of playing the DVD, I started to notice that in the solid RED picture, I could see a lot of green dots mixed in between; they form kinda h-lines; this is more apparent in red pictures with higher brightness.

At the same time, I noticed large amount of green noise appearing in dark scenes when showing a movie; jumping around

Guys, being a newbie to plasma, is this normal at all? BTW, I set the contrast and brightness to mid-low levels.

Lots of thanks.
post #832 of 5326 Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We're not the only relentless ones here you know.

Thank you. I don't think anybody claimed the approval process was simple, and I do personally know how expensive and annoying red tape can be. However, they must make decisions on a nearly daily basis about various graphics anyway. So I don't quite buy the argument that it is cost prohibitive.

It's interesting that you bring up NBC. I'm not sure about this, but didn't they used to have a transparent peacock logo? I am sure the Olympic logo was new, and I'm pretty sure the regular peacock has recently changed. So obviously they have had opportunities to "do the right thing" and did not.

Even if I did not own a plasma, I would feel the same way. Gaudy logos are annoying and distracting.

You know, it was funny too. My friend said when he was talking to the tech that everyone always brings up the Animal Planet logo when they discuss these things. Its some kind of inside joke or something, not sure the details but he kept referencing it. I got the impression they didn't like that one or something.

post #833 of 5326 Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro811 View Post

I just got Panny's PX80 and when I started running the breakin DVD, I encountered some issues.

At first, everything seems to be fine, each picture of solid colors in the DVD looks consistent with all pixels displaying the same color.

However, after about 1 hour of playing the DVD, I started to notice that in the solid RED picture, I could see a lot of green dots mixed in between; they form kinda h-lines; this is more apparent in red pictures with higher brightness.

At the same time, I noticed large amount of green noise appearing in dark scenes when showing a movie; jumping around

Guys, being a newbie to plasma, is this normal at all? BTW, I set the contrast and brightness to mid-low levels.

Lots of thanks.

Wow, definitely not normal. Not sure what causes it or why but that is not normal. If settings do not change it, you might have to get it checked out. they aren't stuck pixels right (Pixels that are always the same color no matter what is on the screen)?

post #834 of 5326 Old 09-26-2008, 06:23 AM

I noticed last night NBC is still using the transparent peacock. Guess I haven't been watching enough network TV lately and got confused. Must have just been a special Olympic thing.
post #835 of 5326 Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed last night NBC is still using the transparent peacock. Guess I haven't been watching enough network TV lately and got confused. Must have just been a special Olympic thing.

I noticed last night for the first time (not sure why) that CBS's logo was very transparent. I guess I don't watch enough CBS to notice.

post #836 of 5326 Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 PM

I just got a new samsung plasma and my question is, for the break in period, I have the contrast set to 47. After the break in period, can I turn it and the brightness back up or does it have to stay there? Otherwise what is the point?!
post #837 of 5326 Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrami View Post

I just got a new samsung plasma and my question is, for the break in period, I have the contrast set to 47. After the break in period, can I turn it and the brightness back up or does it have to stay there? Otherwise what is the point?!

I think you just answered your own question.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #838 of 5326 Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Loving my Panasonic ... gaming with no issues but i make sure it doesn't have black bars for more than 15 mins at a time.

As for gaming ... if you are playing PS3 and Xbox 360 games, most games these days have soo many cut scenes that you hardly have to worry about the HUD's anymore.

Got Plasma?!?! Crush the LCD propaganda!!

current system setup
post #839 of 5326 Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 AM

Will running the Burn-In images in VIVID from an SD card in my Panasonic 42PZ85U help accelerate the burn-in time?
Also, how should I tweak the Picture settings to accelerate the burn-in? (i.e. Picture, sharpness, brightness etc).
post #840 of 5326 Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempnexus View Post

Will running the Burn-In images in VIVID from an SD card in my Panasonic 42PZ85U help accelerate the burn-in time?
Also, how should I tweak the Picture settings to accelerate the burn-in? (i.e. Picture, sharpness, brightness etc).

Look at the Panny Burn-in FAQ in my sig.

Don't run it in Vivid.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page