Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5306 Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own a Pioneer 5070HD and I've had it for ~10 months. Tomight I did something dumb, after watching a DVD I forgot to turn the TV off or switch back to the cable input. The TV sat there for ~45 minutes with no signal. When I came back to it and realizied what I had done I immediately switched it to the cable input and to my horror the whole screen had a purple tint. I assume the black stand-by signal burned in creating this. I read through the manual and there are no tools or settings on this thing to help burn in. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5306 Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_rushman View Post

I own a Pioneer 5070HD and I've had it for ~10 months. Tomight I did something dumb, after watching a DVD I forgot to turn the TV off or switch back to the cable input. The TV sat there for ~45 minutes with no signal. When I came back to it and realizied what I had done I immediately switched it to the cable input and to my horror the whole screen had a purple tint. I assume the black stand-by signal burned in creating this. I read through the manual and there are no tools or settings on this thing to help burn in. What should I do?

It isn't burn in, that would take a LOT longer. Simply run some HD, full screen content for awhile or download the break in DVD and run that for awhile.

post #63 of 5306 Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

It isn't burn in, that would take a LOT longer. Simply run some HD, full screen content for awhile or download the break in DVD and run that for awhile.

You're right it wasn't burn in. Just really really really bad timing. Apparantly the cable came loose during that 45 minutes. Once the cable was in tight again the picture was perfect. I probably took 5 years off my life stressing over this though.
MonicaJae likes this.
post #64 of 5306 Old 03-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Liked: 10
post #65 of 5306 Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM

great article, thanks for putting up
post #66 of 5306 Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
good article
post #67 of 5306 Old 03-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

The article is good, but if you read the readers comments at the bottom of the page, it is just a bunch of LCD fanboys out there who all claim there plasmas have burn-in. Either that, or they just say "plasmas will get burn-in, blah blah blah, thats why i will never have plasma and go with LCD"

I wish some people weren't so ignorant about TV's these days. LCD owner's seem to be the worst. Anyone else agree?
post #68 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Pixel orbiters, whitewash, try to limit sidebars, don't leave CNN tickers on too long, break in the first 100 hours, lower the contrast, vary your programming, don't fall asleep, etc etc.
Well, enjoy your TV.
post #69 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 04:26 AM

Good post...sticky?
post #70 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Pixel orbiters, whitewash, try to limit sidebars, don't leave CNN tickers on too long, break in the first 100 hours, lower the contrast, vary your programming, don't fall asleep, etc etc.
Well, enjoy your TV.

This is all over-stated of course, but the competing technology has to deal with:
  • Weak black levels
  • Shaky contrast
  • Uneven backlighting
  • Horrible viewing angles
  • Motion problems, even with 120Hz refresh which creates its own artifacts

Enjoy your LCD.
post #71 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 View Post

The article is good, but if you read the readers comments at the bottom of the page, it is just a bunch of LCD fanboys out there who all claim there plasmas have burn-in. Either that, or they just say "plasmas will get burn-in, blah blah blah, thats why i will never have plasma and go with LCD"

I wish some people weren't so ignorant about TV's these days. LCD owner's seem to be the worst. Anyone else agree?

many, but whats the first casualty of war?

try reasoning with the mums and dads out there that burn in is no longer an issue on modern plasmas
post #72 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Pixel orbiters,
whitewash,
try to limit sidebars,
don't leave CNN tickers on too long,
break in the first 100 hours,
lower the contrast,
vary your programming,
don't fall asleep, etc etc.
Well, enjoy your TV.

all pretty much correct and should be done for the first 200 hours

I thought exactly like you lipcrkr: i was cautious of plasma cause i didnt like the thought of "burn in"

until i saw a calibrated Kuro and XBR bravia side by side

the six defenses you mentioned were a tiny price to pay in 200 hours for a picture quality 100 times better

theres a reason that all the AV mags ,even the ones not bribed ,have favoured one flat panel tech for video quality
post #73 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 PM

I have a Samsung FPT5084 and its about 2 months old. I have noticed that it looks significantly better now than it did when I first bought it. I was wondering why this happens? What is the technical reason that this happens? Thanks.
post #74 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 01:45 PM

I just bought a panny last week. interested in buying a calibration dvd.

Which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks.
post #75 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Just thought I'd chip in on the burn in discussion. I bought a Panasonic TH-50PZ77U plasma. Did a proper break in, turned the settings down to 0+, about 140 hrs of watching nothing but full screen with no static logos like HDTheatre and running a break in disc when I was sleeping and wasn't home to speed up the process. (6 days)

Then I did a basic calibration with a disc and abused it like I would any TV. 6+ hr gaming sessions with the same game, leaving ESPN and NFL Network on for hours at a time. I inspected it for IR everyday for a while, then every few day.... nothing. You would seriously have to TRY VERY HARD to cause IR on these TVs. The technology is finally mature enough and PQ is AWESOME!
post #76 of 5306 Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 PM

From day one I have watched anything and everything on my 50" LG plasma; 4:3 aspect, black bars top 'n' bottom, many hours of news and sports programmes with 'high contrast' logos info boxes etc and i've only noticed the very faintest of IR that you had to strain to see and that was gone within 10 minutes..
I didn't use any break-in DVDs or turn contrast down (set at 68), I just used it! I have good vision so should see any IR. Maybe I'm lucky? All I know is if I don't get IR after 6 hours of sport logos interrupted by very brief commercials...then I aint going to worry.

Be kind...it really is that simple.
post #77 of 5306 Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyxses View Post

From day one I have watched anything and everything on my 50" LG plasma; 4:3 aspect, black bars top 'n' bottom, many hours of news and sports programmes with 'high contrast' logos info boxes etc and i've only noticed the very faintest of IR that you had to strain to see and that was gone within 10 minutes..
I didn't use any break-in DVDs or turn contrast down (set at 68), I just used it! I have good vision so should see any IR. Maybe I'm lucky? All I know is if I don't get IR after 6 hours of sport logos interrupted by very brief commercials...then I aint going to worry.

WOW!! You are a wild one You pushed the envelope and still have no problems with your set! Good for you. I guess you have to Praise LG.
post #78 of 5306 Old 03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

I plan to get the new '08 Panny TH-50PX80U hopefully in the very near future.

Here's my question: Is the a commercially available breakin DVD for a Plasma set. I am, to put it charitably, technologically challenged to say the least.
I just don't want to fool around trying to cut a DVD myself. Any commercially available plasma breakin DVD suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
post #79 of 5306 Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.eaprogramming.com/

box of right hand side .. PayPal or Buy Now
post #80 of 5306 Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

http://www.eaprogramming.com/

box of right hand side .. PayPal or Buy Now

What does that link mean in regards to my question of the of the possible availability of a DVD plasma breakin disk (one commercially available to buy)? I checked the above link and it just takes you to some site selling dvd's.
post #81 of 5306 Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

What does that link mean in regards to my question of the of the possible availability of a DVD plasma breakin disk (one commercially available to buy)? I checked the above link and it just takes you to some site selling dvd's.

there's a box on right-hand side of browser; it states "Plasma BreakIn DVD" & provides option of purchasing thru PayPal or Buy Now. I know of 'no' other commercially produced Plasma break-in DVD. You could "Google" to see though.
post #82 of 5306 Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 AM

Just wanted to know as I am going to be breaking in my plasma waych HD chaneels dont have static logo. I have Direct Tv and I heard some HD channels dont have static logos. Some have mentioned HD theatre and Discovery channel but I see they have logos but are they not considered static?
post #83 of 5306 Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidef1000 View Post

Just wanted to know as I am going to be breaking in my plasma waych HD chaneels dont have static logo. I have Direct Tv and I heard some HD channels dont have static logos. Some have mentioned HD theatre and Discovery channel but I see they have logos but are they not considered static?

HD Theater pops their logo up when returning from a commercial but then fades away. For the most part it is logo free
post #84 of 5306 Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderRodney View Post

HD Theater pops their logo up when returning from a commercial but then fades away. For the most part it is logo free

Yes, I watched a lot of HD Theatre on DirecTV during my break-in period.
post #85 of 5306 Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM

I dont get my directtv HD til Monday. In the meantime can I run just a regular DVD to break it in. I have set the to standard full and have the contrast at 30 and brightness
at 0. Is that too much, ans can I break it in this way. Thanks
post #86 of 5306 Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 AM

Just make sure your image is full screen with no black bars. On my Panny I turned contrast, pic, and brightness to 0. On the panny that is not all the way down though so it was still watchable. Depends on your TV.
post #87 of 5306 Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM

I've been leaning towards a Plasma and I'm just waiting until the new Panasonic models come out, but I have one worry about some of the content I watch.

I have lots of 480p 4x3 DVD TV show content. When I'm watching it on my current Rear Projection HDTV, it's fine, I just leave the black bars on the sides. I dislike making the image full screen and getting distortion.

But when I move to Plasma, is this going to be a problem? Say I watch a dozen episodes of my 4x3 tv shows over a weekend, am I going to suffer IR or Burn in?

Panasonic TH-50PZ80 | Xbox 360
post #88 of 5306 Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 PM

I just got my Break-in DVD and have started the break-in process.
One thing I did not expect is that the colors are staying static on the screen for an awefully long time, almost 2 minutes.
Is that normal?
post #89 of 5306 Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM

A word of caution...

I fired up my new plasma for the first time yesterday, it's my first HDTV so I'm pretty excited. I wanted to expedite the break-in process, I didn't like the logo on Discovery HD (it did cycle off but came on a little too much for my taste) but I thought Starz would be a good option. So I turned on Starz turned the volume down and went to bed.

Well apparently my cable went out in the middle of the night, THANKFULLY either the TV recognized it or the cable box and the TV screen was blank when I caught it. I imagine a static image was up for awhile at some point (like the cable box interface), hopefully not for long. I was in a panic, from now on I'll definitely not be leaving cable on unattended. I downloaded a break-in DVD and have that running now.
post #90 of 5306 Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Has anyone with a recent generation plasma experienced uneven wear from letterbox movies? I do play quite a lot of games but I'm not actually worried about IR / burn-in from those. I'm more worried about watching 5+ movies a week and having the top and bottom of the panel wear out quickly.

I can get the IR from the bars to go away fairly quickly on my new Samsung FPT-5084 but I imagine they are going to wear in a lot less quickly than the portion showing video.

If anyone has experienced uneven wear, can you estimate how many movies a week you watched and how long it took?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page