Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 5306 Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarioguy View Post

a few posts above I see mention of a panasonic break-in FAQ.....anyone know of similar for Samsung, specifically the 550 series? My 58a550 arrives tomorrow and want to be prepared with the appropriate "to do list"......

and another thing....is there only one "break-in DVD"? Is it the one linked to the first post in this forum thread or is there a new one since that 2007 posting? Or a different one for each model (ie one for panasonic users, one for samsung etc)? Just trying to be absolutely clear on all this before the new set arrives.....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5306 Old 12-23-2008, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtz2j View Post

Hey all!
I am deciding between a samsung led LCD or the Pioneer 5020.

I called Pioneer and asked them if they could explain burn-in to me prior to purchasing their product. The guy told me not to watch anything with a static image for more than 2 hours.
He also didn't offer to speak about any technology in the tv to help against this which i thought was odd. 2 hours?
I then decided to call a local dealer (AmericanTV) and all 3 sales associates told me I would need to leave a static image on the screen for a long time. One said, "72 hours." One said, "3 weeks." Another guy told me to baby the TV for the first 500! hours and after that I can go crazy with games, bluray etc.

I am a little confused on this issue or...non-issue. It seems everyone has something different to say.
I like the pioneer picture quality, even though I like the sammy a950 PQ as well. I think the Pioneer produced a more lifelike picture, rather than an artificial picture.
But can someone clear this up for me without saying, "You need to have the static image on there a long time to burn in." What is a long time? That's too broad of a statement.
Also, how come I hear a lot of people having IR problems where it takes them hours to get it off the screen. That's something that scares me.

If I can get these issues cleared up, I think I may have to pull the trigger.

You are asking for the impossible. There is no way anyone can say you will get IR after X number of hours viewing. There are to many variables including what your settings are at, what is the static image, how bright is it, what colors make it up, is the orbitter on (or other technologies), how many hours on the set total, etc. etc. etc.

You should baby the set for the first 150 to 200 hours. Avoid static images, watch full screen HD content until the set settles in, then go for it. If you get the pioneer make sure the orbiter is on. Use common sense, and enjoy the awesome set.

post #1173 of 5306 Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

and another thing....is there only one "break-in DVD"? Is it the one linked to the first post in this forum thread or is there a new one since that 2007 posting? Or a different one for each model (ie one for panasonic users, one for samsung etc)? Just trying to be absolutely clear on all this before the new set arrives.....thanks

Please refer to post# 1123 for any concerns you may have regarding breaking in your new set.

There is only one break in DVD for all PDP models out there.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
Videotron - Illico HD terminal
post #1174 of 5306 Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks Ryaxin, that was very helpful! ....I was looking for an excuse not to fire up the break-in dvd for hours on end. I'll just be cautious on what I watch for the first little while etc. As for brightness and contrast, just lower those to less then 50%? Any specific viewing mode I should be in (or avoid), "dynamic" vs. "movie" etc? (I have a samsung 58a550...)
post #1175 of 5306 Old 12-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Ryaxin, that was very helpful! ....I was looking for an excuse not to fire up the break-in dvd for hours on end. I'll just be cautious on what I watch for the first little while etc. As for brightness and contrast, just lower those to less then 50%? Any specific viewing mode I should be in (or avoid), "dynamic" vs. "movie" etc? (I have a samsung 58a550...)

avoid Dynamic mode. Movie mode is best. If you could take it a step down from 50% even better. 47% on both cont and bright.

Mix up the content you view, black borders, static logos etc are all fine throughout the break in period provided the viewing content is mixed up afterwards. If you notice any IR, it will go away.

Just remember the general rule of thumb, enjoy your new TV.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
post #1176 of 5306 Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Hey Im about to setup my new Panny PZ80u 50" and try to follow some of the break in procedures but have a dilemma.......my wife also bought the kids a Wii so trying to say you can't use your new Wii for like 2 weeks is going cause some issues lol

Any ideas or advice........Wii totally off limits for 100 hours?
post #1177 of 5306 Old 12-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Hello I just set my 46fd18 4 days ago my Daughter is in town for xmas she watched some tv . Here we go, I came home from work and the tv was left on but she turned off the cable box so the screen was the light black. The picture seem to be fine I'm just wondering if this could of left some sort of dull image. Thanks for any help.
post #1178 of 5306 Old 12-24-2008, 06:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1300vtxdude View Post

Hey Im about to setup my new Panny PZ80u 50" and try to follow some of the break in procedures but have a dilemma.......my wife also bought the kids a Wii so trying to say you can't use your new Wii for like 2 weeks is going cause some issues lol

Any ideas or advice........Wii totally off limits for 100 hours?

Just control the time they play and make sure they dont leave it on pause. As long as the images alternate you should be good
post #1179 of 5306 Old 12-24-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanging Ten View Post

Hello I just set my 46fd18 4 days ago my Daughter is in town for xmas she watched some tv . Here we go, I came home from work and the tv was left on but she turned off the cable box so the screen was the light black. The picture seem to be fine I'm just wondering if this could of left some sort of dull image. Thanks for any help.

I dont see how that would damage anything
post #1180 of 5306 Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks RomanO, I did expect a reply on Christmas eve But thanks for the good news
post #1181 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 AM

Pulg it it and use your new sets.
Do not worry needlessly.
Hook the wii or 360 up and lets the kids play.
The set was designed to be used, not to be turned on and off for brief periods at someone else settings.....
post #1182 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 11:05 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ800U with about 150-175 hours on it now. I'm still seeing IR after static images are displayed (from gaming, news bugs, sports graphics, widescreen moves, etc.) when I switch to an input with no signal. I have the pixel orbiter set to force a move every three minutes. Running the "scrolling bar" doesn't seem to get rid of it either. Goes away after 5 minutes of full screen moving content. I love the TV, but I am completely paranoid about ruining it. Will this ever go away? Is it a problem and can it lead to permanent burn-in?
post #1183 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanging Ten View Post

Thanks RomanO, I did expect a reply on Christmas eve But thanks for the good news

How about Christmas Enjoy!
post #1184 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Bones View Post

Merry Christmas Everyone.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ800U with about 150-175 hours on it now. I'm still seeing IR after static images are displayed (from gaming, news bugs, sports graphics, widescreen moves, etc.) when I switch to an input with no signal. I have the pixel orbiter set to force a move every three minutes. Running the "scrolling bar" doesn't seem to get rid of it either. Goes away after 5 minutes of full screen moving content. I love the TV, but I am completely paranoid about ruining it. Will this ever go away? Is it a problem and can it lead to permanent burn-in?

on my 58PZ800 demo I started to run full screen more often after seeing some IR but thats because I run the Ironman movie and that has the intro in the main menu so I saw those bars. My point is just keep switching up your content as much as possible.
post #1185 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks ROMAN.

Do you think there will be less IR as the set gets more time on it? Gaming seems to cause the most IR and that is one of the reasons I bought the set. Do you watch your widescreen movies in full screen mode with the letterbox bars or zoomed in to fill the screen with moving content?
post #1186 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Bones View Post

Thanks ROMAN.

Do you think there will be less IR as the set gets more time on it? Gaming seems to cause the most IR and that is one of the reasons I bought the set. Do you watch your widescreen movies in full screen mode with the letterbox bars or zoomed in to fill the screen with moving content?

Yea I put mine in a month ago and now its much better! And I run it everyday at least 8 hours a day. I just watch it full screen when I have it run all day but when I watch a movie I just do wide screen.
post #1187 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 12:18 PM

Hello

Regarding break-in...

I'm running pictures from SD card for 1 week now.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=583089

I have this settings:

vieving mode - cinema
contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness - arround 40%
color balance - warm
color management - on
p-nr - off

I have panasonic 42pz80 (EU model)
Are this good setting, or do you recommend higer values for contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness?

Is there something wrong if I run only this images for 20 hours per day, that means no movies, tv programms...

Thank you.
post #1188 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubej View Post

Hello

Regarding break-in...

I'm running pictures from SD card for 1 week now.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=583089

I have this settings:

vieving mode - cinema
contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness - arround 40%
color balance - warm
color management - on
p-nr - off

I have panasonic 42pz80 (EU model)
Are this good setting, or do you recommend higer values for contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness?

Is there something wrong if I run only this images for 20 hours per day, that means no movies, tv programms...

Thank you.

My brother broke his panny in with a 360.
I broke both my new sets in with non-stop gaming and general use.
We have had zero issues and I would bet millions of the general public feel the same.
Why are you wasting all this time?
This "break in" thing has gone waaaay to far.
post #1189 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman View Post

My brother broke his panny in with a 360.
I broke both my new sets in with non-stop gaming and general use.
We have had zero issues and I would bet millions of the general public feel the same.
Why are you wasting all this time?
This "break in" thing has gone waaaay to far.

All manufactuers recommend a break in period.

FYI.. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15378694

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
post #1190 of 5306 Old 12-25-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

All manufactuers recommend a break in period.

FYI.. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15378694

I bought two new plasma's this year and no where in the manual does it specify a "break in". Just 4:3 for extended hours ect.
Scan a page from any NEW plasma manual that specifies a 100-200 hr "break in" with the break in CD or images ect.
I bet you can't!
post #1191 of 5306 Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Hey all, I Have a panny 800U and I have started gaming on it. I have about 1200 hours on it. When playing any game the 800U IRs to where you can only see it if you are looking up close in a dark room with the huds being clearly readable. They are not visible during normal TV viewing. I'm finding that a 2 hr session takes anywhere between 3 & 4 hours to completely clear. I also did a 4 hour session of gears of war 2 on Thursday and and that took almost 12 hours to clear. What I'm wondering is that normal clearing time for IR on a plasma or is that too long? Should I stop gaming on it?
post #1192 of 5306 Old 12-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Hello,

this is my first time writing in this extremely informative forum.

I wanted to inquire as to the real burn in dangers of a plasma and how far has the technology matured to handle the situation?

Is image retention (not burn in) a prevalent issue today?

how long does a bright static image need to stay still before it causes retention or in the worst case scenario, Burn-in?

Why is break-in a necessary procedure in today's plasmas? how does it help?

I am planning on purchasing the LG 60 PG60 for sometime next year and thought it would be good time to ask because I was very close to buying a LCD.

I would be mainly using it for HD gaming and HD videos (thanks to the PS3).

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Coming soon...
post #1193 of 5306 Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Since you're buying it mainly for gaming buy a LCD. A plasma will get screenburn even with orbiter if playing games. Your other questions cannot be answered because it's number of variables to cause IR and screenburn.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1194 of 5306 Old 12-28-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

A plasma will get screenburn even with orbiter if playing games.

Are you sure? I have been gaming all week on my 5020, and not a hint of IR at all. Several letterbox movies too, no IR.
post #1195 of 5306 Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutty96 View Post

Are you sure? I have been gaming all week on my 5020, and not a hint of IR at all. Several letterbox movies too, no IR.

I watch mostly 2.35:1 on both Pioneer Elite PRO 1150 and PRO 111, no TV show at all except for CSI vegas. No IR at all

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1196 of 5306 Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Since you're buying it mainly for gaming buy a LCD. A plasma will get screenburn even with orbiter if playing games.

This is just totally incorrect. I've been gaming on my plasma since the day I got it 11 months ago and have never even had IR. All sorts of games, long sessions, etc. This is the AV "science" forum, please don't spread misinformation.

jeff
post #1197 of 5306 Old 12-28-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Prove it please, pause a game with a bright HUD leave it 8 hours straight. Post pictures of white & grey screens.

Quote:
please don't spread misinformation.

Neither should you. Are you now saying that burn is impossible and willing to back up that claim with your own set? If so please set to dynamic and leave 8 hours with bright HUD.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1198 of 5306 Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Prove it please, pause a game with a bright HUD leave it 8 hours straight. Post pictures of white & grey screens.

Why would I do that? I don't leave anything on pause for 8 hours and I'm not in the habit of watching white and gray screens. I'm a regular person who uses his TV in regular ways - games, shows, movies.

Even if I tried, the 360 has a screen saver that dims the image after a period of inactivity. Likewise, my TV will auto shut off after a certain period of inactivity. Those features are there precisely to prevent issues that would arise by doing what you suggest. To deliberately circumvent them would classify IMO as abuse.

Quote:

Neither should you. Are you now saying that burn is impossible and willing to back up that claim with your own set? If so please set to dynamic and leave 8 hours with bright HUD.

You said "A plasma will get screenburn even with orbiter if playing games." That is a definitive statement without providing any reasons, disclaimers, etc. And it is 100% incorrect. I game on my set all the time and have never had any problems. No, it's not in dynamic and the contrast is not at 100%. It's at proper settings for a proper image.

Image retention can happen and burn in is possible, if you do silly things like you have asked me to do. If you use the set normally and take some pretty modest precautions burn in is not a concern, and in my experience neither is image retention.

jeff
post #1199 of 5306 Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why would I do that?

………………………………..__…………………………………………
………………………..,-~*’`¯lllllll`*~,……………………………………
…………………..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,………………………………
………………,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,…………………………….
……………,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\\…… ………………………
………….;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\\…………………………..
…………..\\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/………\\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,………………………
…………...\\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*………..`~-~-,…(.(¯`*,`,……………………..
…………….\\llllllllllll,-~*…………………)_-\\..*`*;..)…………………….
……………..\\,-*`¯,*`)…………,-~*`~.………….../……………………..
……………...|/.../…/~,…...-~*,-~*`;……………./.\\……………………..
……………../.../…/…/..,-,..*~,.`*~*…………….*...\\……………………
…………….|.../…/…/.*`...\\...……………………)….)¯`~,……………...
…………….|./…/…./…….)……,.)`*~-,……….../….|..)…`~-,………….
……………/./.../…,*`-,…..`-,…*`….,---…...\\…./…../..|……...¯```*~-,,,,
…………...(……….)`*~-,….`*`.,-~*.,-*……|…/.…/…/…………\\……..
…………….*-,…….`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*……….|.,*...,*…|…………..\\……..
……………….*,………`-,…)-,…………..,-*`...,-*….(`-,…………\\…….
……................f`-,………`-,/…*-,___,,-~*….,-*……|…`-,……….\\……..

If I need to explain why then it's obvious you're a noob. Most people won't notice a faulty set. Those screens show up screenburn the most. Under normal use you may not see SB unless certain colours come up in that area but that doesn't mean you don't have it. A test screen is a way of seeing it.

I spotted early 4:3 burn on my 5090 and that's only had slight bit of 4:3 use- hardly family TV that's been on all day in 4:3 mode, it's gone now but I've had to watch 4:3 to full screen which looks stupid. I never had that problem with the LCD.

Quote:
Even if I tried, the 360 has a screen saver

And the 360 is known to reset itself, bringing up a nice bright image.

Quote:
If you use the set normally and take some pretty modest precautions burn in is not a concern,

So you're now saying you can indeed get screenburn. Maybe some people want it on dynamic, even though it looks horrible. Try explaining to them that plasmas get SB when left on dynamic, or in movie for x hours if y contrast and z logo brightness.

also with orbiter if the HUD/logo is large enough it won't move sufficiently enough for the central part to be moved to another area of the screen, so that bit will have SB.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1200 of 5306 Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Just wanted to chime in and compliment on the vast amount of information found in this forum. Loads and loads of information that has been covered time and time again. Kudos for all that have taken the time to explain, re-explain, and re-explain again, the in's and outs and what to look for on what can sometimes be an intimidating idea of caution when first breaking our TV's out of their boxes and turning them on for the first time; to those of us who might not be as technically savy or aware as everyone else.

I have just purchased a Panny 50pz85u with the Panny DMP-BD35 Blu-Ray player. I downloaded the 20 or so frame, break-in slideshow for an SD card that I have only had the chance to run for about 10 hours or so on top of the 6-8hrs of HD viewing. I have the proper settings, set to zero, as recommended on the first couple pages of this thread. Where some peoples questions are a bit more involved than my own, I am only wondering how 'bad' it would 'hurt' the television if my wife and I were to watch a regular DVD with the widescreen/letter box bars (top and bottom). Would I have to be concerned with IR for an hour and a half movie? I tend to run the break-in SD slideshow once I am done of course and the majority of the time we are not watching regular television. I am just going to stay away from video games period until the 100 hours is over... better safe than sorry.

Im sure Ill have some other questions in the future, but thanks in advance.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page