Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 5423 Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Gotta agree... I watch a lot of comedy central and have a feeling they wont do HD anytime soon. Comcast only has like 15 HD channels so its hard to watch just HD

Completely off-topic but CC recently went HD. Sadly the Daily Show will be SD until next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 5423 Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
WHAT!!! Comcast SUCKS!!!

Mad comcast has my area by the balls we can only get them or dish and if you get dish they crank up your internet price.
post #1383 of 5423 Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

WHAT!!! Comcast SUCKS!!!

Mad comcast has my area by the balls we can only get them or dish and if you get dish they crank up your internet price.

Well related to Comcast hope they shower this same love on everyone
Economy is so bad that they are now paying people to see this
http://i.gizmodo.com/5144563/comcast...ith-5-discount
post #1384 of 5423 Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_2k View Post

I hear this sort of thing a lot on these forums. When you get an HDTV set you have to stop liking all your favourite shows just because they aren't HD? That seems a bit silly to me.

Luckily almost all of my favorite shows have an HD channel they are on. It is a shame that there are not more HD channels, especially with these awesome sets. Stretched material looks so bad. Some TV's do a better job but on some, the stretch algorithm is freaking horrible.

post #1385 of 5423 Old 02-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Hey..just copied the burn-in images to my thumb drive, for some reason my 6020FD does not want to see them in the same order I see on my PC. Does it matter if you run the slideshow with the color plates out of sequence?

Thanks,

Marc
post #1386 of 5423 Old 02-04-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey! View Post

I have been becoming increasingly concerned with some image retention that I have been suffering with on 42PZ85. I had been watching a lot of the Australian open tennis, on Eurosport. I watched about 5 hours a day, for about 9 days. I mixed this with viewing of other channels, and films, but I have noticed some image retention of the Eurosport logo's text. Its now 5 days since I have viewed the eurosport channel, and I still see the faint text shape. I only notice this on a black screen, from a close distance. I made sure to run the breakin DVD for the first 100 hours, and totalled about 60-70 hours. I only watched this Eurosport stuff after 120 hours use, so I have been careful. I also tried running the breakin DVD for about 10 hours after noticing this image retention, but no luck in removing it. You don't notice it on other coloured screens such as the breakin DVD, only on black screen. Is it likely that I have had burnin of the logo from watching the channel for 5 hours a day for 9 days? Or do you think I have some very resistant image retention that will take weeks to dissapear? I have been running at 40% contrast/brightness on all modes of viewing, and I had the Skybox set to moderate contrast/brightness whilst viewing.

Anyone that views Euro knows what a huge pain the DOG is, and the dark coloured text it has.

Thank you all.

Since this post of myn, I have noticed no change in the IR, possible burnin, and its now 7 days since I have viewed that channel. Is there a chance its burnin? Or anything I could do?
post #1387 of 5423 Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc T View Post

Hey..just copied the burn-in images to my thumb drive, for some reason my 6020FD does not want to see them in the same order I see on my PC. Does it matter if you run the slideshow with the color plates out of sequence?

Thanks,

Marc

Nope.

post #1388 of 5423 Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

I raised the following question in another thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hp?t=1116157): I have a Kuro 5020 being delivered on Friday and I've been reading up on the break-in process in various threads on AVS. After leaning that the break-in dvd merely consists of colored screens, I had the same thought -- if a white screen displays all colors at once, why wouldn't a white screen accomplish this task in 1/3 of the time? If the answer is that the different color phosphors age at different rates, then I don't see how the break-in dvd solves this problem -- doesn't it contain the same number of red/green/blue screens? If so, then the break-in dvd is displaying each color an equal amount of time, same as showing a white screen. So why not use white screen for break-in? Anyone???

Another poster responded as follows:

Why don't you ask the engineers inside the manufacturers!!.. make sure you quote the name of the person too (asking permission)..

I went to the source many months ago at Pioneer and asked.. Josh Kairoff, Director of Display Engineering Group for Pioneer NA..

from: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=319

. . .

Since this is the master break-in thread, I thought this was an appropriate place to continue the discussion.

BDP-83 EAP 2nd Round
post #1389 of 5423 Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSoxFan View Post

Since this is the master break-in thread, I thought this was an appropriate place to continue the discussion.

Since you're getting a 5020 and Turbe quoted someone at Pioneer who was paraphrased as saying
Quote:

[ I ] recommend a fast track procedure [using] an all white video signal from a inexpensive video generator for 100 hours.

why do you think the discussion should be continued?
post #1390 of 5423 Old 02-05-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

why do you think the discussion should be continued?

This is the "Master Burn-in/IR/Break-in" thread, right?? Why wouldn't a ligitimate question regarding the break-in process that thousands on this forum seem to be using be discussed here? As opposed to, say, discussing whether you get the Daily Show in HD?

But seriously, I had many reasons for wanting to continue the discussion here, not the least of which is that I figured it was only a matter of time before the other thread was locked, as it is now. Maybe I'm just the curious sort, but I find it interesting that countless posters (at least those who are determined to undergo a dedicated break-in process) simply fall into line with Evangelo2's Break-in DVD/Thumbdrive procedure and virtually no one questions the logic behind displaying a series of red/green/blue slides rather than a white screen.

I don't know whether the white screen approach is better, worse, or no different than Evangelo2's procedure. But I'm hoping that others on this forum with more experience and expertise will weigh in on the subject and provide some answers.

BDP-83 EAP 2nd Round
post #1391 of 5423 Old 02-05-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I'm just the curious sort, but I find it interesting that countless posters (at least those who are determined to undergo a dedicated break-in process) simply fall into line

I was unduly terse. I wonder the same thing but it's clear that a multi-year disagreement is never going to be resolved since many of the parties are untroubled by logical inconsistencies. I suspect that most of the more experienced members choose to ignore this topic since they've said whatever they had to say long ago.
post #1392 of 5423 Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:

... Maybe I'm just the curious sort, but I find it interesting that countless posters (at least those who are determined to undergo a dedicated break-in process) simply fall into line with Evangelo2's Break-in DVD/Thumbdrive procedure and virtually no one questions the logic behind displaying a series of red/green/blue slides rather than a white screen.

I'd not say no one questions there are those of us who do not perform the break in. I am not doing any break in other than watching it normally on my 111fd. I see no logic in wasting 150 hours of my plasma's life and electricity for nothing. I say nothing because nobody here can prove that it makes a difference.

But I am still on this thread because I want to learn more. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here and I am learning about my new TV. So far I have not read anything that would make me believe that the burn in process makes a difference worth the wastage of electricity etc.
post #1393 of 5423 Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I have a minor IR experience to report, last night I was getting pretty tired but wasn't quite ready to head up to bead so I put Waiting on. I woke up and it was on the menu screen. Based on when I started it I figure it was probably stuck like that for about 2 1/2 hours or so.

I jumped up and turned it off and could easily see IR of the menu buttons and a few other things, My stomach was twisted now because I just got this damn TV and probably have about 150-200 hours on it. I ran the white scroll bar for 15min and it made a very small difference. I ran the slideshow of my break-in images and when to bed.

This morning I came downstairs at about 6:30 turned off the slideshow, left the lights in the house off and I could still see some very faint IR, again of the menu buttons. I ran the scrolling bar again, put on sunrise earth for a bit and then went back to the break-in images. I left the house at 8am and before turned on Veggie Tales for my little girl I went to a blank input. I could not see a thing! There were a couple lights on so my guess is that there may have still been a very very small trace of it left but it is obviously going away and I expect by the time I get home it will be totally absent.

The point of my story is that I am new to Plasma and based on my experience with my 58PZ850 IR is an issues but time seems to be healing all wounds. I expect that as I get more hors on the set it will become more resilient against IR but in the mean time my simple advice is add a couple habits to the ones you already have and your TV will remain perfect. Use the repeat function on your BD player and use your sleep timer on your TV. IR is there but it is fixable and avoidable.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #1394 of 5423 Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Please help!! I have a new Samsung PN A650 coming soon. I already have the breakin DVD. I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but I am new to this forum and to plasma TV's. What brightness setttings would be best used running this with a standard DVD player? Any other info on this model would be greatly appreciated
post #1395 of 5423 Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 PM

So after reading numerous posts throughout these forums I think I finally figured out how to break it in correctly.

I have the panny PZ4280U.

Settings atm:
Picture Mode Cinema
Picture 50
Brightness 50
Color 45
Tint 0
Sharpness 50
Color Temp Warm
Color MGMT Off
X.V. Color Grayed out
Zoom Adjust Grayed out

Advanced
Video NR Off
3D Y/C filter Off
Color Matrix SD
Mpeg NR Off
Black Level Light
HD Size 1

I have Evangelo's SD card images running.
30 second intervals
repeat on

Is there suppose to be a flicker between slides?

This all look correct? I plan to run it for 4 days straight and increase the brightness and picture by 2 every 24 hours, just to be safe.

I did have a follow up question.

How often should I stay on a station or in a game after I start using it normally?
post #1396 of 5423 Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Anyone just let me know if "yes they are ok" or "no change this"?
post #1397 of 5423 Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 429
1. yes they're okay
2. I don't know the answer regarding flicker on the side. I don't think it's normal.
3. If you're in Cinema mode, I've played game for several hours and/or watch a single station for several hours with no problem.

disclaimer: I've tested item 1 and 3 on a Panasonic 800u, Pioneer PRO-1150 and PRO-111. As mentioned, I have no clue about item 2.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1398 of 5423 Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

1. yes they're okay
2. I don't know the answer regarding flicker on the side. I don't think it's normal.
3. If you're in Cinema mode, I've played game for several hours and/or watch a single station for several hours with no problem.

disclaimer: I've tested item 1 and 3 on a Panasonic 800u, Pioneer PRO-1150 and PRO-111. As mentioned, I have no clue about item 2.

I meant between the slides not the sides. And I think it is just the way it transitions, it looks like a flicker but isn't.

As far as my settings, they seem ok. I was assuming they are ok just got paranoid since it will be on for 100+hours.

And cinema mode seems best I think.
post #1399 of 5423 Old 02-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Just joined

I just wrote this long message and tried to post it. It didn't post, even though the site claimed that it did. So I'm just sending this to see if it works before I try again
post #1400 of 5423 Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM

Okay, I guess I'm good to go now.

Let's see if I can remember everything I wrote the first time. I'm a first time flat screen owner. I bought a 50 inch series 4 400 Samsung plasma (PN42A400)one week ago. I was going to get an LCD but circumstances and a super deal intervened. I know nothing about any of this. Everything I know about plasmas I have read on this forum in the last week. I changed all my settings for the break-in period as advised here (lowered brightness and contrast and all that) and have been adjusting my picture size to zoom1 whenever I watch something with the black bars on the top and the bottom. I don't have HDTV and am not obsessive about having the absolute best picture.

Anyway, my computer genius friend came over yesterday. He took one look at my new TV and said he could give me better picture and sound. We went to the store and got an HDMi cable (might have the name wrong). He then hooked it up and now I do indeed have much better sound and picture. I simply watch it from a different source. However, my picture sizes changed too. Now my biggest screen size is only full fit (or something fit). About 40% of the shows I watch have the black bars on the top and the bottom unless I go to zoom to get rid of them. Now, I don't have that. I called my friend this morning and he had me re-hook the other cable so now I can switch back and forth from the new way to the way it was, but here are my two questions:

Is there anything else I can do to fill the whole screen with the HDmi cable hook-up, rather than switching back and forth all the time?

Do I really need to worry about the black bars all that much? Am I okay just watching everything in the Hdmi setting? I've read quite a bit that says you should avoid those top and bottom black bars, particularly during the first 100 hours, but do I really need to be this paranoid? Obviously I wish to avoid retention and burn-out.

Any advice would be appreciated. As I stated, though, I barely know anything about all this, so I hope nobody gets super technical.
post #1401 of 5423 Old 02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 429
1. some TVs wide modes can't be accessed once you use HDMI connection.
2. I don't know much about Samsung plasma (only tested it for review for several weeks) but if you use cinema/movie mode, you shouldn't be worried about blackbars at all. I watch 2.35:1 and 4:3 in their native aspect (black bars at the top/bottom or on the sides) and I've never experienced IR let alone burn-in. With Samsung you may experience IR but most probably no burn-in at all.

hope it helps.

if you have any further question, just PM me.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1402 of 5423 Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Dangfish: Welcome aboard! To eliminate the "aw $hit!" factor when posting, type your post in some sort of text editor (Microsoft's Notepad or something similar) FIRST, and then when you are ready to post, copy & paste it into the forum message reply window. That way, if it doesn't actually upload and post for some reason, you don't need to type your message again...you can simply paste it again...

/hijack
post #1403 of 5423 Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

1. some TVs wide modes can't be accessed once you use HDMI connection.
2. I don't know much about Samsung plasma (only tested it for review for several weeks) but if you use cinema/movie mode, you shouldn't be worried about blackbars at all. I watch 2.35:1 and 4:3 in their native aspect (black bars at the top/bottom or on the sides) and I've never experienced IR let alone burn-in. With Samsung you may experience IR but most probably no burn-in at all.

hope it helps.

if you have any further question, just PM me.

I switched it to movie mode last week a couple days after I bought the TV. I just checked it again and it was no longer in movie mode. Not quite sure how it got changed. Perhaps when my friend hooked up the HDMI connection.

So, if I stay in movie mode I don't need to worry so much about the black bars causing bad retention or burn-in? I was prepared to switch out of HDMI mode when I watched one of my 'black bar' shows, but after comparing the two pictures and seeing how much brighter and nicer the HDMI connection is (not to mention the much better sound) I'd really rather not if I can help it.
post #1404 of 5423 Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post

Dangfish: Welcome aboard! To eliminate the "aw $hit!" factor when posting, type your post in some sort of text editor (Microsoft's Notepad or something similar) FIRST, and then when you are ready to post, copy & paste it into the forum message reply window. That way, if it doesn't actually upload and post for some reason, you don't need to type your message again...you can simply paste it again...

/hijack

You can also just copy it from the forum message reply window before you post, that's what I do if I am writing a lengthy post.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #1405 of 5423 Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Well, I've got letterbox burn in on my 2006 Panasonic. It's not devastating, but it's not a happy thing either. Although I have operated under the assumption that burn in on modern plasmas is a small very small threat, I've always taken excellent care of my plasma and followed appropriate guidelines found on AVS. Sad. (No, it is no IR.)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there is a "reverse" letter box DVD floating around this thread or elsewhere in these parts, but I'm having trouble locating it now that I'm in need. Can someone please point me to it?

Edit: OK, I now see the recommendation in Post #2 of the original "Burin-In" thread is to set the PDP to display gray/white bars and turn off the source device (i.e. cable box). I'm doing that, is there any reason a specialized DVD would offer me a more effective solution.
post #1406 of 5423 Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 View Post

Well, I've got letterbox burn in on my 2006 Panasonic. It's not devastating, but it's not a happy thing either. Although I have operated under the assumption that burn in on modern plasmas is a small very small threat, I've always taken excellent care of my plasma and followed appropriate guidelines found on AVS. Sad. (No, it is no IR.)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there is a "reverse" letter box DVD floating around this thread or elsewhere in these parts, but I'm having trouble locating it now that I'm in need. Can someone please point me to it?

How do you know you have burn in of the letterbox? Isn't the letterbox just black bars? Are you seeing darker areas of color around the sides where the letterbox would be? If so, that is uneven phosphor wear and not burn in.

post #1407 of 5423 Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM

post #1408 of 5423 Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 View Post

I have uneven wear on the sides of my screen -- where the sidebars are displayed for 4:3 viewing -- which results in visible darkening. That's not burn in?

What you're describing doesn't sound quite right. This is probably because you're not fully describing what has happened but it could be something else.

First: letterbox is bars at the top and bottom of a (unsually) 2.35 movie. Boxing on the sides is called pillarbox. Pillarboxing is often darker than the image (or even black) but it can brighter-- current Panasonic plasmas have a variety of pillarbox brightness settings. If the pillarbox is brighter than the average picture level (APL) of the 4:3 area then the pillar area will age more and be dimmer. If the pillarbox is darker than the 4:3 area then it will age less and be brighter when a gray field is displayed.

If you're saying that sides of your screen are dimmer because of 4:3 pillarbox using black pillars then it's odd.
post #1409 of 5423 Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Ah, I see part of the confusion is that I inadvertently wrote letter box instead of pillar/side bars. To be clear, the problem is in the pillar bar areas.
post #1410 of 5423 Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
You should be using grey or light sidebars during 4:3 viewing. Or stretch it to fill the screen.

Scott
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page