Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 5411 Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have what you would call moderate-servere IR, not sure yet that it is burn in. I played left 4 dead for 8 hours on "Game Mode" on my Samsung PN50A450. I have been running the scrolling screen and jscreenfix which is pretty much colored random noise. I have put between the two of them about 3 hours each and still have a faint image of the HUD, it is only noticeable on the white or scrolling screen. Would you say this is burn in or just strong IR. What is the best way to eliminate it. I saw a post somewhere that said the all white screen may work better at getting rid of it. I think mixing it up help too that way all the pixels on the screen are getting a full workout. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 5411 Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Hi,

I just bought the 58A550 and could anyone please provide me the breakin settings that I should have for this using the BreakIn DVD?

Also, if someone has the "best" calibration link to the DVD and settings for this.

Much appreciated.

SRK99
post #1503 of 5411 Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 AM

Liked: 11
I've been trying to display the break-in images via usb flash drive, using my PS3. I have the files saved to the flash drive as JPEG images. The PS3 is recognizing the flash drive when connected, but is not reognizing any images.

Does anyone have any advise on this? Do the images need to be saved as different file types? Do they need to be kept in a folder of a speacific title?

Thanks for your help on this.

Mike.
post #1504 of 5411 Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamson View Post

I have what you would call moderate-servere IR, not sure yet that it is burn in. I played left 4 dead for 8 hours on "Game Mode" on my Samsung PN50A450. I have been running the scrolling screen and jscreenfix which is pretty much colored random noise. I have put between the two of them about 3 hours each and still have a faint image of the HUD, it is only noticeable on the white or scrolling screen. Would you say this is burn in or just strong IR. What is the best way to eliminate it. I saw a post somewhere that said the all white screen may work better at getting rid of it. I think mixing it up help too that way all the pixels on the screen are getting a full workout. Thanks for the help.

Has it lessened? 8 hours doesn't sound like enough time to burn it in? I'd say it is IR and will eventually go away.
post #1505 of 5411 Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM

I'll be getting my KRP500 today and had a question on the break-in. I have an old DVD player I plan to use that has RCA and Component, but I only have RCA cables. Is that ok for break-in or should i go pick up a set of component?
post #1506 of 5411 Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 PM

I posted in the panasonic s1 thread but I got my tcp46s1 set up today, and I am currently running the break in cd on standard settings. should this be set to standard?

post #1507 of 5411 Old 04-25-2009, 03:06 PM

hey there,

i bought a Samsung PN50A650 a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it, but a couple of days ago i got image retention from my xbox 360, the thing is i didnt really leave it on pause long enough to get it.

And again i got some image retention though you can only see it while u have the tv on he white screen, though it has gone.

im wondering if this image retention will keep on happening and lead too burn in??? my contrast setting was on 80 but i put it on 45 when i first got image retention.

i cannot enjoy watching tv, dvd's and gaming without thinking im gonna get burn in and have been very paranoid lately. And another question, is image retention normal??

thank you
post #1508 of 5411 Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM

Image retention is normal. As far as burn in goes, just vary your use of your set-- some gaming, some movie/TV watching, and you should be fine. You don't just play one game do you? Even if you do, it would take A LOT of playing to get burn in.
post #1509 of 5411 Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 PM

no i play other games of course, though when i first got my plasma the contrast was set to 80-90 and i just changed it to 40 3/4 days ago, so will it be easier to get image retention? i got some image retention from halo 3 though u can only see it when u set the plasma to all white and its still very hard to see, unless u go right up to the tv.

thanks
post #1510 of 5411 Old 04-26-2009, 02:04 PM

well i put on a dvd for an hour 1 or 2, and i came back to see if the ir was gone and it was.

then i was watching some news, all i wanted to do was check for some updates and now i put the plasma on the all white screen and i can see a bit of the time on the bottom right corner,and some headlines at the bottom of the screen, though you cant see it while watching tv or playing games or anything. though u have to really get up close to the tv to see it.

is it normal for ir to come back straight away??? this is really getting annoying and now im a bit worried to play video games.
post #1511 of 5411 Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Lowering the contrast should make you less susceptible to IR and burn-in. If you just bought the set, it will be more prone to IR and burn in in the first 250 hours of use (some say 1000 hours). Just be smart-- vary your viewing and try to stick to full screen and you ought to be okay.
post #1512 of 5411 Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM

how do u find out how many hours your tv has been on???

i have a samsung series 7 ps50a650.
post #1513 of 5411 Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM

I have just unboxed my 46inch G10 and I am starting the 120 hours playing the slideshow per D-Nice but I wondering if I could leave it on during the day while I am at work as this is my bedroom TV and don't want it on at night. I noticed one guy has a color stuck for a few hours as he was using the cd/dvd(?)...should I worry about a slide getting stuck if I am using the card reader? If I could leave it on during the day and turn it off at night this would speed the process a ton. Any insight would help. Thanks in advance.
post #1514 of 5411 Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Okay...I am leaving it on 24-7, is this okay?
post #1515 of 5411 Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Okay...I am leaving it on 24-7, is this okay?

Why waste power? Just watch TV normally making sure it's full screen with no logos.

motorpotor you're quick brave to trust a glass stand with a large screen plasma.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1516 of 5411 Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Why waste power? Just watch TV normally making sure it's full screen with no logos.

motorpotor you're quick brave to trust a glass stand with a large screen plasma.

How the heck do we deal with logos? They're everywhere.
post #1517 of 5411 Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewhitebloke View Post

no i play other games of course, though when i first got my plasma the contrast was set to 80-90 and i just changed it to 40 3/4 days ago, so will it be easier to get image retention? i got some image retention from halo 3 though u can only see it when u set the plasma to all white and its still very hard to see, unless u go right up to the tv.

thanks

How long did you play Halo 3 for?
I play 360 games and get no IR on my Panasonic 50pz85u
post #1518 of 5411 Old 05-01-2009, 05:23 AM

motorpotor,

what kind of leather floor chair is that on the left side of your 2nd picture?
post #1519 of 5411 Old 05-01-2009, 08:58 PM

anyone know how to get rid of 4:3 IR - i didn't know about running 4:3 with black bars the 1st couple of weeks. I've tried everything and I get get the screen to even out. I only notice when there is no signal and the room is fairly dark. But it won't go away even with hours of full screen viewing
post #1520 of 5411 Old 05-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschwarz View Post

anyone know how to get rid of 4:3 IR - i didn't know about running 4:3 with black bars the 1st couple of weeks. I've tried everything and I get get the screen to even out. I only notice when there is no signal and the room is fairly dark. But it won't go away even with hours of full screen viewing

Turn on the brightest bars on a black screen. That should help to even out the wear.
post #1521 of 5411 Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewhitebloke View Post

well i put on a dvd for an hour 1 or 2, and i came back to see if the ir was gone and it was.

then i was watching some news, all i wanted to do was check for some updates and now i put the plasma on the all white screen and i can see a bit of the time on the bottom right corner,and some headlines at the bottom of the screen, though you cant see it while watching tv or playing games or anything. though u have to really get up close to the tv to see it.

is it normal for ir to come back straight away??? this is really getting annoying and now im a bit worried to play video games.

Does your set have any anti image retention features? like an ORBITER? if so was it turned on? orbiter just shifts the whole image a few pixels around every Minute or so, suppose to help with getting image retention.
post #1522 of 5411 Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 AM
awp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While I've had some IR with my PN50A550, I was shocked last night after playing just 10 minutes of Space Invaders Extreme on my 360. Went to switch inputs and had major IR that I had never really seen as bad before (and I play quite a bit of games). The sides of the game have bright white boxes and lines that are causing it.

This was just the demo and I really had considered purchasing it, but now am having second thoughts. The IR went away, but what if I was playing it for an hour instead of 10 minutes? (this is obviously not the kind of game that you can save and pickup later)
post #1523 of 5411 Old 05-07-2009, 01:50 PM

I'll be getting my first plasma TV soon. I'm afraid that the annoying TV logo on the bottom of the screen is going to "burn-in"
Surely there must be a group trying to stop the stations from putting their annoying logo on the screen.
post #1524 of 5411 Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONLG View Post

I'll be getting my first plasma TV soon. I'm afraid that the annoying TV logo on the bottom of the screen is going to "burn-in"
Surely there must be a group trying to stop the stations from putting their annoying logo on the screen.

I know a lot of stations now use a light grey logo, depending on your settings it will be less likely to get IR from that type of logo. But some stations still use color logos and that is something to worry about if you use high contrast settings on your display and watch for a few hours. You would think in this day and age with almost every tv/cablebox/satellite receiver and dtv box having a guide and channel name your tuned to, i don't see the need to have the logo through the entire program either. I guess people with just basic analog cable need logos, but in the age of digital programs i don't see the need for it.
post #1525 of 5411 Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post

While I've had some IR with my PN50A550, I was shocked last night after playing just 10 minutes of Space Invaders Extreme on my 360. Went to switch inputs and had major IR that I had never really seen as bad before (and I play quite a bit of games). The sides of the game have bright white boxes and lines that are causing it.

So, you saw a ghost image/IR on a blank screen as you were changing inputs? If that's the case you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It's a very different phenomenon than IR and burn in. There's a new thread about this every month or so. For whatever reason (residual voltage, phosphorescence, ?), when you switch from something with high contrast to a blank input, ghost images & outlines remain visible. When you say the IR went away, do you mean you could see it for a while over actual content, or that it seemed to be gone once you started watching something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONLG View Post

It shouldn't. I spent a lot of time over the winter watching college basketball on ESPN - they have a bright red logo. Yes, occasionally I'd see it's outline after changing stations, but it always went away, quickly. Less than a couple of minutes. I've been watching shows with logos and playing games with HUDs for the 16 months I've had my set and there is no burn in.

jeff
post #1526 of 5411 Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
awp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

So, you saw a ghost image/IR on a blank screen as you were changing inputs? If that's the case you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It's a very different phenomenon than IR and burn in. There's a new thread about this every month or so. For whatever reason (residual voltage, phosphorescence, ?), when you switch from something with high contrast to a blank input, ghost images & outlines remain visible. When you say the IR went away, do you mean you could see it for a while over actual content, or that it seemed to be gone once you started watching something else?
jeff

Well, it definately was present on the blank screen when switching inputs, but it also was there to a lesser extent for I'd say at least 5 minutes over actual content (seen when going to dark scenes), but then went away. I played it again and the same happened. This time I used the scrolling bar pattern and full white to help get rid of it. Kind of scary, but I guess it's okay. Like I said -- I'm just afraid to play it for a longer period of time.

I should mention that I've also had this happen with my PS3's XMB due to the white bright lines, but I'm usually never using that for more than a minute or two so it's never as pronounced as this was.
post #1527 of 5411 Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I would love to be able to calibrate my 111fd buy I can't find an easy "how to"

On the other board that supports the software they have a negative attitude towards "dumb" questions.

I only know I need the program, some kind of cable and then the settings but have no idea about the steps of making it work.

I am not totally happy with its performance and need to calibrate it to fix it.

Does anyone have a step by step?
post #1528 of 5411 Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I would love to be able to calibrate my 111fd buy I can't find an easy "how to"

Here you can find some useful information:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
post #1529 of 5411 Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Wow for all that cost I could have it done by a pro.

I just wanted to use the program mentioned in this thread and use the settings gicen rather than get so into it but how to hook it up, what the right cables are and how to work the program are just confusing because there is no simple explanation anywhere.
post #1530 of 5411 Old 05-12-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenbone View Post

I've been trying to display the break-in images via usb flash drive, using my PS3. I have the files saved to the flash drive as JPEG images. The PS3 is recognizing the flash drive when connected, but is not reognizing any images.

Does anyone have any advise on this? Do the images need to be saved as different file types? Do they need to be kept in a folder of a speacific title?

Thanks for your help on this.

Mike.

The PS3 is tricky, and I don't know why it does this... When you go to choose the flash drive, sometimes images and movies don't show. Try it again, but this time just highlight the flash drive on the PS3 and press TRIANGLE. There should be a "show all" or "view all" option there. Choose it, and hopefully your images will show.

If not, you'll have to change the format on your computer somehow and try again. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post

while I've had some IR with my PN50A550, I was shocked last night after playing just 10 minutes of Space Invaders Extreme on my 360. Went to switch inputs and had major IR that I had never really seen as bad before (and I play quite a bit of games). The sides of the game have bright white boxes and lines that are causing it.

This was just the demo and I really had considered purchasing it, but now am having second thoughts. The IR went away, but what if I was playing it for an hour instead of 10 minutes? (this is obviously not the kind of game that you can save and pickup later)

That's a little scary. Did you break-in the TV at all prior to using it? I got my Panasonic S1 plasma on Saturday and was running the Break-in slideshow since that evening. I was at about 36 hours before I gave COD5 a shot. Played it for a little over an hour and there wasn't a single issue with IR, which was surprising considering the amount of static images there are when you're in a match.

My advice? (Assuming you didn't break it in, but for those who don't plan to) Make sure you at least break-in the TV for 2 days. Not everyone has the patience to run a slideshow for 5 days straight, so meet the standard halfway. What with all the IR talk I'd be skeptical to use my TV normally right out of the box anyway.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page