Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 5411 Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasracht View Post

Then can you provide a model that will stand up to a full day of console gaming with no break?

If this question has no clear answer, does that mean this kind of use is not tried with plasma? Does that mean I should go with lcd instead?

I wouldn’t dare purport to say X brand is better than Y brand, and don’t be fooled into thinking Pioneer are the best PDP, a stroll through their specific lines here will dispel that.

My model stands up to hard core gaming, but so do many others. IR is a fact of PDP life for now, you can either live with it or choose to not play on plasma.

LCD has its issues with gaming that can sometimes overshadow the IR issue.

It’s your money, so read as much information as you can from reputable and non-bias reports, then make a personal decision on a TV for gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 5411 Old 04-19-2008, 03:57 PM

I'd welcome more opinions on this. With a full day of console gaming is IR going to be too much of a problem?
post #243 of 5411 Old 04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhostess View Post

My Samsung manual states on page 55 pixel shift: using this function, you can minutely move the pixels on the PDP in horizontal or vertical direction to prevent after-images on the screen.
So lets not play semantics, these functions are available to prevent the possibility of screen burn, an image must be retained to eventually become permanently burnt.

hmmm but you said permanent burn-in is not a possibility? Samsung/Pioneer/Panasonic engineers know beter than you? What a shock!

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #244 of 5411 Old 04-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Hello everyone.

I have a quick question about IR.

The posts here have 99% sold me on buying a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U, which I plan to use for mainly gaming, but probably a lot of tv and dvds too. However, I have one question about IR.

People say that sometimes IR exists after long periods of gaming and will eventually go away, but do you notice IR while playing the game? For example, if I'm running around in the field in Mass Effect for like an hour, then I open up the menu to change equipment/guns, would I still "see" the screen in the other menu? Or say, I'm playing NHL 08 for an hour or two, which is generally a lot of white because of the ice, would i see a faint white paint over all the jerseys because of IR?

Thank you!

edit: One more quick question. Do the burn in dvds come with the plasma tvs or do you buy it separately?
post #245 of 5411 Old 04-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

hmmm but you said permanent burn-in is not a possibility? Samsung/Pioneer/Panasonic engineers know beter than you? What a shock!

There are experts who believe a meteor devastating earth is a possibility also, but the probability is rather slim, everything is a possibility, even a warning of death or serious injury in the same manual. am done debating you, you had nothing real to add at all did you.
post #246 of 5411 Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanbe View Post

Hello everyone.

I have a quick question about IR.

The posts here have 99% sold me on buying a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U, which I plan to use for mainly gaming, but probably a lot of tv and dvds too. However, I have one question about IR.

People say that sometimes IR exists after long periods of gaming and will eventually go away, but do you notice IR while playing the game? For example, if I'm running around in the field in Mass Effect for like an hour, then I open up the menu to change equipment/guns, would I still "see" the screen in the other menu? Or say, I'm playing NHL 08 for an hour or two, which is generally a lot of white because of the ice, would i see a faint white paint over all the jerseys because of IR?

Thank you!

edit: One more quick question. Do the burn in dvds come with the plasma tvs or do you buy it separately?

Well it depends, I play halo 2/3 and NHL 08 on my consol and rarely do I see the IR.

Since I also have NHL 08 I can safely tell you the IR is very little since the Line change symbols aren’t on long enough, and you can turn the clock off completely and just view the Ice or Action view unrestricted.
When friends stop by we can blow 8 or more hours playing NHL 08, and I never encounter IR from that particular game title.

I think you mean break-in dvd, and no they don’t come with a TV because (again) I believe break-in to be another myth propagated and fed by plasma fear. If a break in was necessary am sure manufactures would be providing users with documentation at the very least, and a dvd.

p.s. NHL 08 on a big tv is incredible. You should check out the Sim settings for sliders at the Xbox360 forum.
post #247 of 5411 Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasracht View Post

I'd welcome more opinions on this. With a full day of console gaming is IR going to be too much of a problem?

I have both plasma and LCD and for me, Plasma is for movies and LCD for all the rest. Get a LCD if you have to play games all day long and worry about IR. I game on my LCD for hours and have never experience any "motion-blur" or lag. Even if there is, when you are concentrating on your game, you won't be having the time to analyze whether the fast moving images on the screen is "blur" or not. Even console sellers ( Sony and Microsoft ) demo their machines and games on LCDs all the time.
post #248 of 5411 Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlee View Post

I have both plasma and LCD and for me, Plasma is for movies and LCD for all the rest. Get a LCD if you have to play games all day long and worry about IR. I game on my LCD for hours and have never experience any "motion-blur" or lag. Even if there is, when you are concentrating on your game, you won't be having the time to analyze whether the fast moving images on the screen is "blur" or not. Even console sellers ( Sony and Microsoft ) demo their machines and games on LCDs all the time.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Also thanks for those who PM'ed me with warnings about my anticipated usage. It looks like I'll go with LCD instead.

Thanks again!
post #249 of 5411 Old 04-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Instead of arguing about the content of the owner's manuals, I'll just answer this one specific question that I have quite a bit of experience with:

Quote:

People say that sometimes IR exists after long periods of gaming and will eventually go away, but do you notice IR while playing the game? For example, if I'm running around in the field in Mass Effect for like an hour, then I open up the menu to change equipment/guns, would I still "see" the screen in the other menu?

Not on my Panasonic 50PX77U. Not even a hint of it. It's just not there. The HUDs don't appear on the menu screens, and the menus don't appear in the game. I've played the game through twice. Even if you run around for an hour and don't access a menu, chances are you'll have ridden in a few elevators (ha) or have gone through some dialog sequences.

FWIW my experience is the same for Halo 3, COD4, Gears of War, Bioshock, and Half Life 2. As you can see I stick primarily to shooting games. All have HUDs and crosshairs, I play 'em for 1-5 hour stints, and have never had any IR. Real or theoretical

jeff
post #250 of 5411 Old 04-20-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Instead of arguing about the content of the owner's manuals, I'll just answer this one specific question that I have quite a bit of experience with:

Not on my Panasonic 50PX77U. Not even a hint of it. It's just not there. The HUDs don't appear on the menu screens, and the menus don't appear in the game. I've played the game through twice. Even if you run around for an hour and don't access a menu, chances are you'll have ridden in a few elevators (ha) or have gone through some dialog sequences.

FWIW my experience is the same for Halo 3, COD4, Gears of War, Bioshock, and Half Life 2. As you can see I stick primarily to shooting games. All have HUDs and crosshairs, I play 'em for 1-5 hour stints, and have never had any IR. Real or theoretical

jeff

Good info Jeff, I am just curious about some parameters during your gaming. Did you game right from the box and experience the same (in your case no IR) and how are you checking for IR.

So far I have had experience with 2 plasmas (one value and one decent) and several LCD’s priced like a holiday villa in spain. I still find gaming on plasma to be the MOST rewarding for all sorts of reasons trivial and justified.

A basic understanding of what IR really is aught to dispel the fears many people have concerning it, but that is not the case it seems. There is still a high level of misunderstanding (propaganda?) among sales teams, just today I was hunting for a replacement pc monitor and checking out some popular new brands of plasma when the sales guy began warning me about Burn-in and it destroying my tv in a ball of flames (not literally). He spent most of our time warning me about plasma instead of educating me on the differences and what to expect. I would hate to be an uninformed consumer today.
post #251 of 5411 Old 04-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhostess View Post

Good info Jeff, I am just curious about some parameters during your gaming. Did you game right from the box and experience the same (in your case no IR) and how are you checking for IR.

After I saw how ridiculous the NBC news and a basketball game looked in HD I could not resist gaming on my set day 1. I did have the contrast setting around -10 (on the '07 Panasonic's -30 to +30 scale) so I will say I took that precaution. Played an hour or so of COD4 that night. Didn't see any IR. Played an hour or two a night for the first week or so, along with some regular TV viewing, then turned up the contrast to something around +20 and have been using it like a regular TV since. I got the TV in late January.

I've stopped looking for IR at this point, but during the first month or so I'd always get up close to the screen and look where there are HUDs or TV network logos when I turned the game off or switched channels or whatever. ie, looking for HUDs when the Xbox goes to the dashboard, or the ESPN logo on the DirecTV menu. Still haven't found any.

The closest I had to it was about a week and a half after we got it, we watched a movie that had letterbox bars. When the movie was over and I stopped it, the bright white Xbox loading screen comes up, and I could faintly see where the letterbox bars had been. It evened out in a matter of seconds while I watched it. I've since watched a couple more movies like that and haven't been able to see the bars afterwards.

jeff
post #252 of 5411 Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for sharing, I did the same. My settings don’t change now, I guess my tv is about 3 months old.
The interesting thing is I visit a lot of game forums and never do I hear complaints regarding IR from plasma gamers, either they aren’t noticing it or its not restricting their game / tv viewing.

Great stuff, the technology is working and getting better with each unit generation.
post #253 of 5411 Old 04-20-2008, 07:38 PM

Just purchased first plasma tv - Panasonic TH-42PX77U - so believe me when I say I am a rookie on this stuff. I actually went to buy the best looking LCD I could find for my budget and came back with a plasma tv after the rep recommended it based on my needs. Was not a tough sell for the guy since I know nothing on the subject but I can honestly say I have not regretted my purchase so far...but then again I have nothing to compare it to. My happiness is plenty enough for me.

Been reading a lot in this forum about burn-in, image retention, break-in period. I guess there is one thing I do understand: Plasmas are much better then they were when it comes to burn-in. But since there is practically no reference to the concept in the user manual and absolutely nothing about break-in period, I guess it makes me wonder whether break-in is just a myth, at least from now on. I also read somewhere that there is a break-in period at the factory but there are still a lot of people using break-in DVDs or following the break-in recommendations of the Panasonic "white paper" (which is dated 2004 by the way). I guess the only thing I can go by right now is the FAQ on Panasonic's website:
(http://www.panasonic.ca/english/customercare/faq/faqanswer.asp?TYPE_NAME=Question%20(s)&CAT_NAME=VIERA%20Televisions&CAT_ID=6&QUESTION_ID=51)

Date: 2007/02/12
Question (s): I've heard that Plasma TVs can "burn-in" over time. Is it really a concern?
Answer/Comments:
The phenomenon known as "burn-in" was a much bigger problem in the past. Burn-in is virtually a non-issue today thanks to advancements in TV technology. When used in a typical consumer's home (regular TV viewing, movies on DVD, video games and more), a new VIERA Plasma or LCD TV should provide years of worry free enjoyment.

When used in commercial applications or when a fixed image is displayed continuously, an issue may occur for almost any type of display. Uneven phosphor aging can occur in traditional CRTs, Plasmas and CRT Projection TVs. For flat panel LCD and rear projection LCD TVs, degradation of the polarizer layer may lead to slight shadows or yellowing of the image.

Again, we stress, "burn-in" is not a common occurrence in a consumer's home, where a TV is used to watch a variety of TV/video programming. However, it is more likely to occur in retail stores or in commercial displays, where a fixed image, logo or solid graphic will be displayed for months at a time.

Is this the end of the break-in myth and the burn-in paranoia or should I still wonder whether I need to watch a "crapy" image for 100-200 hours? I have yet to hear anything that would convince me that the break-in is strongly recommended (but then again I have not read everything single post in this thread or others...). Lots of people being cautious and my hat is off to them. But I am not that patient when it comes to relaxing in front of my new plasma with PQ way down to perform a break-in that is nowhere recommended by the manufacturer, and to ultimately prevent burn-in that the manufacturer itself states is a non issue for non-commercial use of the plasma tv.
post #254 of 5411 Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman007 View Post

Just purchased first plasma tv - Panasonic TH-42PX77U - so believe me when I say I am a rookie on this stuff. I actually went to buy the best looking LCD I could find for my budget and came back with a plasma tv after the rep recommended it based on my needs. Was not a tough sell for the guy since I know nothing on the subject but I can honestly say I have not regretted my purchase so far...but then again I have nothing to compare it to. My happiness is plenty enough for me.

Been reading a lot in this forum about burn-in, image retention, break-in period. I guess there is one thing I do understand: Plasmas are much better then they were when it comes to burn-in. But since there is practically no reference to the concept in the user manual and absolutely nothing about break-in period, I guess it makes me wonder whether break-in is just a myth, at least from now on. I also read somewhere that there is a break-in period at the factory but there are still a lot of people using break-in DVDs or following the break-in recommendations of the Panasonic "white paper" (which is dated 2004 by the way). I guess the only thing I can go by right now is the FAQ on Panasonic's website:
(http://www.panasonic.ca/english/cust...QUESTION_ID=51)

Date: 2007/02/12
Question (s): I've heard that Plasma TVs can "burn-in" over time. Is it really a concern?
Answer/Comments:
The phenomenon known as "burn-in" was a much bigger problem in the past. Burn-in is virtually a non-issue today thanks to advancements in TV technology. When used in a typical consumer's home (regular TV viewing, movies on DVD, video games and more), a new VIERA Plasma or LCD TV should provide years of worry free enjoyment.

When used in commercial applications or when a fixed image is displayed continuously, an issue may occur for almost any type of display. Uneven phosphor aging can occur in traditional CRTs, Plasmas and CRT Projection TVs. For flat panel LCD and rear projection LCD TVs, degradation of the polarizer layer may lead to slight shadows or yellowing of the image.

Again, we stress, "burn-in" is not a common occurrence in a consumer's home, where a TV is used to watch a variety of TV/video programming. However, it is more likely to occur in retail stores or in commercial displays, where a fixed image, logo or solid graphic will be displayed for months at a time.

Is this the end of the break-in myth and the burn-in paranoia or should I still wonder whether I need to watch a "crapy" image for 100-200 hours? I have yet to hear anything that would convince me that the break-in is strongly recommended (but then again I have not read everything single post in this thread or others...). Lots of people being cautious and my hat is off to them. But I am not that patient when it comes to relaxing in front of my new plasma with PQ way down to perform a break-in that is nowhere recommended by the manufacturer, and to ultimately prevent burn-in that the manufacturer itself states is a non issue for non-commercial use of the plasma tv.

You don't have to watch a crappy image for the first 100-200 hours.
Watch full screen hd and dvd's and/or a break-in dvd.
post #255 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
have there been objective double blind tests on break-in done? like, break in one plasma for 200 hours and get another exact same model right out of the box and compare, neither side knowing which is which except for the serial number? i'm wondering if it's a little bit of placebo effect or if it really truly helps. then again, if possibly the picture does get a bit better and broken in after 200 hours or so, but yet possibly you do not have to do anything special on the way to that mark.
post #256 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM

Just had my 50" Pioneer 5010-PDP installed yesterday. The HT installers said there is no need to break the tv in. The said the tv actually moves the picture slightly back and forth so fast to avoid IR.

I have a Calibrator coming in specifically in 10 days. I was told by him to break the tv in B4 you calibrate as the image can change.

So, the plan is to run a break in dvd for about 6-8 hours a day and then ENJOY my new TV at night for a few hours while watching tv/movies. I did lower the contracts and am using full screen view as a pre-caution.

PS: The tv is outstanding. Now if I can just learn how to use the receiver Id be in good shape (pioneer vsx92)
post #257 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM

To help people understand this a little more clearly.

New plasma's will break in over the course of the first few hunder hours (actual lumenance value decrease over the life of the set). During the first few hundred hours colors can and will shift some, brightness changes, etc. The break-in disks out help to speed the process some by utlizing high intensity but short duration images to excite the phosphors and allow them to stabilize.

The reason most recommend getting some hours on your set before heavy gaming is because most games have high contrast images that are static in some nature (HUD's, crosshairs, etc). With a new set, the brightness/contrast is high and the phosphors are suseptable and this can cause IR/Burn-in.

That being said, I didn't use any break-in disk with my set. I watched full screen material for a few weeks on and off prior to really starting to game to ensure things had stabilized. Now I play COD4 for hours without any ill affects. I do generally try to follow up my gaming with some full screen viewing just for piece of mind but I have yet to see anything resembling IR on my set. Very happy with it as I was really concerned initially.

All good
post #258 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM

I suppose I'm just a heretic but I'll sign up for the burn-in as urban legend theory. Can you actually burn-in an image on a plasma? Sure. You could on a CRT, too. How many of you ever saw a burned-in CRT? How many of you have ever seen a burned-in plasma?

Let me suggest this: go search the internet, find the outraged consumers who have broken plasma's. When you find them, post it here. You can find a lot of discussion out there about burn-in and scary break-in advice. And you can find a lot of complaints about real issues with plasmas, from screen glare to green-fringing to panasonic blinking lights but show me the posts from people who's tv has been ruined or damaged by burn-in. How many people read these forums before using their plasma? How many people would find their way to internet forums/retailer sites after they had ruined their tv? I suspect the former group is WAY smaller than the latter. Ergo, few consumers with plasma's hear much of anything about burn-in. They certainly aren't getting it from the owner's manuals (assuming they even read them.)

Use moderation. Don't watch the same content source on your tv for 24 hours a day. But for crying out loud, you can watch a movie with black bars on the first day and the world won't end. Really. Take a deep breath and enjoy your tv. There are plenty of reasons to choose LCD but if the reason you avoid plasma is burn-in, you've been bamboozled.
post #259 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

honestly the only place i've ever seen burn in on a CRT or plasma was at places like airports and train stations where the same image was on them 24/7 for incoming/outgoing.
post #260 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 429
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/te...cs/plasma.html

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #261 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

interesting read. should be noted that the man in the first paragraph had to have had at least a 7G Pioneer if not earlier.
post #262 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Well that would seem to match my request for examples, though I find it interesting that he had only two examples and refers generically to "numerous other posts on various technology forums" but provides no details. You can find innumerable posts about burn-in and how to avoid it but few about victims of it. I also suspect (with admittedly little evidence) the primary "victim" here was not playing Guitar Hero for just a few hours to produce burn-in. We're missing the details of what the two affected plasma owners did to cause burn-in. If you play guitar hero for 16 hours a day, day after day with no alternate content, why yes you might have a burn in issue.

I'm also struck by the quotes from the contact at Panasonic:

"There is no such thing, almost, as burn. You have to as an end user almost intentionally try very hard to burn a set," says Barry Murray, director of marketing at the audio-visual group at Panasonic Canada Inc.

Short-term image retention can happen, Murray says, but it usually goes away after watching a few minutes of full-screen video.

"It's fairly common but 100 per cent reversible just by watching other video programs."

Have there been posts from users in this thread or elsewhere on the Plasma forum at AVS? You'd think with a problem purported to be this serious, impacted consumers would show up here, at least occassionally...
post #263 of 5411 Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Hello all, just brought a pioneer 1150HD. I found the break in settings on the other thread under D-Nice first post. I was wondering, is there a certain connection you have to use with your DVD Player like hdmi or can i just use regular rca cables for the break in disc.

Thanks, Ray
post #264 of 5411 Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 AM

hey all

I'm getting a new 42" samsung plasma in the next few days. I'm gonna break-in the screen for the first 100 hours by running break-in DVDs or watching HD content. I also know that I need to reduce all the settings to 50% the first 100 hours. but I have a few questions on the break-in period:

1) do I need to run the break-in DVD all the time, or is watching full screen content will give the same effects right?

2)Can I run leave the TV on for 4 days straight so I can finish the 100 hours the quickest way possible?

3) I'm also buying a PS3 and I really want to play it, and I can't wait for than a week. can't I play my ps3 for like an hour every 3-4 hours of breaking-in the TV (in the first 100hour period)?

thx in advance

and please help me, I'm getting the TV tomorrow
post #265 of 5411 Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 AM

help please

I know I should ve patient but I'm buying the TV tomorrow and I don't wanna break it :|

please!
post #266 of 5411 Old 04-23-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru View Post

hey all

I'm getting a new 42" samsung plasma in the next few days. I'm gonna break-in the screen for the first 100 hours by running break-in DVDs or watching HD content. I also know that I need to reduce all the settings to 50% the first 100 hours. but I have a few questions on the break-in period:

1) do I need to run the break-in DVD all the time, or is watching full screen content will give the same effects right?

2)Can I run leave the TV on for 4 days straight so I can finish the 100 hours the quickest way possible?

3) I'm also buying a PS3 and I really want to play it, and I can't wait for than a week. can't I play my ps3 for like an hour every 3-4 hours of breaking-in the TV (in the first 100hour period)?

thx in advance

patience, I assume most people are at work

I've read enough posts here to be able to answer your questions. People can feel free to correct me if i'm incorrect.

1.) Full screen content is fine for breaking in. Just be wary of logos and tickers from certain channels.

2.) I've read most people seem to cycle their watching. For example they put the break in dvd for 5-7 hours then let it rest for 1-2, then repeat. Sleep timer works great here.

3.) If you're just going to be playing an hour of PS3, I can't see it hurting. Anything that does stick to the screen (if anything at all) would just be very temporary and should wash away fast after normal viewing. Just make sure to have your brightness and contrast down to 40-45%. It's also worth noting that some people here have gamed from day one on their sets and didn't get any IR.
post #267 of 5411 Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

patience, I assume most people are at work

I've read enough posts here to be able to answer your questions. People can feel free to correct me if i'm incorrect.

1.) Full screen content is fine for breaking in. Just be wary of logos and tickers from certain channels.

2.) I've read most people seem to cycle their watching. For example they put the break in dvd for 5-7 hours then let it rest for 1-2, then repeat. Sleep timer works great here.

3.) If you're just going to be playing an hour of PS3, I can't see it hurting. Anything that does stick to the screen (if anything at all) would just be very temporary and should wash away fast after normal viewing. Just make sure to have your brightness and contrast down to 40-45%. It's also worth noting that some people here have gamed from day one on their sets and didn't get any IR.

oh I'm sorry, I didn't thought about that some people might be at work because of the time difference. sorry about that

And thank you for your answer. so I guess playing an hour of PS3 from day1 every several hours of break-in wouldn't hurt.

again thank you for your help
post #268 of 5411 Old 04-23-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

oh I'm sorry, I didn't thought about that some people might be at work because of the time difference. sorry about that

And thank you for your answer. so I guess playing an hour of PS3 from day1 every several hours of break-in wouldn't hurt.

again thank you for your help

You don't have to turn your settings down if you are watching full screen HD content or the break in DVD. Actually, you should be turning them up on the break in DVD to speed things along. If you are going to watch full screen content, adjust to your liking and enjoy. If you are worried about the PS3 game. Wait a few days, then play it. I don't think it will hurt but if you are that worried, go for it.

post #269 of 5411 Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:

hey all

thx in advance

The key to breaking in plasma is to avoid static images like logos or video game HUDs for extended time. There is no science to it. Most people recommend changing picture preset to cinema or the like, which usually has lower brightness. You don't need to use the "break-in" dvd or watch only HD channels. If you watch SD channels, just stretch the image so there is no pillarboxing on the sides. I didn't game on mine when i first got it. If you do i would avoid longer sessions, ~2-3 hr long until you got 100-200 hours on board.

again no rule here against gaming, but most limit it when tv is new.

i did not leave my tv on nonstop for 4 days, but some posters have done it. i am a little paranoid about leaving tv on when at work or sleeping.

Enjoy your new set.
post #270 of 5411 Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

there is a Pio 4280 at the Apple Store in Chicago - watched it hooked up to an Apple TV. i got really close and noticed the picture shift slightly which had to be the orbiter working. really cool, couldn't notice it from a distance, only up close. i can't imagine there would be any possibility for IR/burn with that on - the whole picture goes in a circle constantly.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page