Pioneer PDP-6010FD stand questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I tried my best, but could not find anything on this board that would let me avoid my question.

I am in love with PDP-6010FD and want to buy it. However i have one huge issue. Its stand is SO FREAKING HUGE it does not fit my entertainment center. My EC has the shelf for the TV which is rounded in front. It is deep and wide and tall enough for the TV itself, but the TV's rectangular 15"x36" stand just does not fit the rounded shelf, too wide for it to fit the rounded edge nicely.

Can anyone please suggest a smaller stand/"leg" for this tv? Why did Pioneer make this stand so monstrously wide and rectangular? Could not they have it rounded in front (like similar sized panny or others) or something so it does not look this huge, and fits modern furniture?
And no i cant replace the furniture, it was custom built and very expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well i forgot to include my second question.

If i remove the speaker and just use the Pioneer stand, does the whole TV become less tall? Does the TV simply moves closer to the surface on which it stands? Or does the "neck" between the stand and the TV becomes taller, and the overall height remains the same?

Thanks in advance
post #3 of 41 Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM

I have a similar problem where my intended plazma is the 5080 to fit within my Entertainment Center (EC). I desire to remove the speaker and shift down the unit for a closer and lower fit. Additionally, I am considering reversing the Pioneer stand to reduce the stand's front area to result in a the 5080 being flush with the EC. The stand will be bolted to a 24" console to maintain stability of the TV. The console will contain the AVR, DVD, DVR, Counterweight, etc so tipping should not be an issue. My approach is to use the PRO 1150 stand which does not use a bottom speaker. It is two inches lower. To reverse the forward portion of the stand I will either reverse the left and right uprights. At this moment I do not know if the "U" channel of the uprights will prevent insertion into the plazma. If not I will have the uprights cut and welded in reverse. You could use the same approach with a PRO 150 stand. What do you think? If there are glaring design flaws let me know.
post #4 of 41 Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 PM

Just got my 6010 last week and installed without speaker, only one height for stand no adjustment with or without speaker.
post #5 of 41 Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Speaking of of the 6010's stand, what color is it? Is it gloss black like the display's bezel face? or is it silver like the bezel sides?

I saw a 150FD (the Elite version of the 6010FD) on display at my local Best Buy (Magnolia) and it had a glossy black finish on the stand similar to the bezel but since the 6010FD they had on display was wall-mounted, it did not show a stand. Since the only visible difference between the 150FD and 6010FD is that the bezel side edges are silver on the 6010 and black on the 150, and of course the "Elite" logo versus "Pioneer", it got me thinking that Pioneer would follow the same design differentiation between the two models, making the lesser model's stand silver colored.

I just hope I don't have to go and buy some high gloss black paint when my 6010FD arrives.
post #6 of 41 Old 12-05-2007, 10:02 PM

You won't have to buy black paint. My 6010 has a matt black stand which is the right choice as it tends to disappear.

I don't mind that it's rectangular, as it follows the design of the set. I imagine the large footprint was considered a safe base for this huge TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post

Speaking of of the 6010's stand, what color is it? Is it gloss black like the display's bezel face? or is it silver like the bezel sides?

I saw a 150FD (the Elite version of the 6010FD) on display at my local Best Buy (Magnolia) and it had a glossy black finish on the stand similar to the bezel but since the 6010FD they had on display was wall-mounted, it did not show a stand. Since the only visible difference between the 150FD and 6010FD is that the bezel side edges are silver on the 6010 and black on the 150, and of course the "Elite" logo versus "Pioneer", it got me thinking that Pioneer would follow the same design differentiation between the two models, making the lesser model's stand silver colored.

I just hope I don't have to go and buy some high gloss black paint when my 6010FD arrives.

post #7 of 41 Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c987y View Post

I don't mind that it's rectangular, as it follows the design of the set. I imagine the large footprint was considered a safe base for this huge TV!

Well i love the display also, but having a rectangular 36"+ by 15" stand for it makes it huge, what should the entertainment center for it be? something i used previously for my 60 inch rear projectoin set? Big part of my love to plasma/lcd is thin size and supposedly small foot print.
post #8 of 41 Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSam View Post

Well i love the display also, but having a rectangular 36"+ by 15" stand for it makes it huge, what should the entertainment center for it be? something i used previously for my 60 inch rear projectoin set? Big part of my love to plasma/lcd is thin size and supposedly small foot print.

well, it's a smaller footprint than a 60 inch rptv...

keep in mind that stand has to support a big thin rectangle that weighs a lot... there's a reason the footprint of the stand is what it is... you DON'T want your plasma falling over...

as far as "what should the 'entertainment center' be? how about "none"?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 41 Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

wall mounted? i thought about it, but i do not think I would trust my wall holding this expensive tv
nothing is a win-win situation i guess i will have to deal with the foot of size 18WWW then. thanks everyone for inputs
post #10 of 41 Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

wall mounted? i thought about it, but i do not think I would trust my wall holding this expensive tv
nothing is a win-win situation i guess i will have to deal with the foot of size 18WWW then. thanks everyone for inputs

doesn't your wall have studs in it? you should be able to rig something up that will work if you want to wall mount it.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 41 Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

the contractors built the wall where i am planning to place the TV with aluminum studs. the wall is 3.5 inch thick. it was too late to rebuild once i found that out. now it is too much trouble to strengthen that wall, I am too lazy.
post #12 of 41 Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 PM

I have traditional studs and I still feel like this 60 incher is just too massive to want to hang on the wall. Although maybe in an earthquake, I would be better off.

My set is on a long slate bench that is attached to a fireplace that we never use. Just enough room for the components on each side of the stand. The first night I worried if the bench would fall (it is floating). And I would like to figure out how to stabilize it in the event of a quake. But I can't drill into slate. Maybe I can into the rock wall fireplace.
post #13 of 41 Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:

But I can't drill into slate.

Sure you can: link.
post #14 of 41 Old 12-07-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:

The same wall helps hold your house up, it should hold a tv.

I decided to go wall mount. After much searching, I found two that I felt comfortable with, the cheaper ones like Peerless had a load capacity just barely over the weight of the 6010FD.

Omnimount UPLT-X
http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...0-f854d5c0ad65

Sanus VMPL3
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...delCode/VMPL3/

The Omnimount was thinner (Omni=1.5" Sanus=2.3"), looked better from the side, and has "security" whatever that means. From the screenshots it looks higher quality, and the footprint was taller on the wall which should mean more stability/load capacity. It is supposed to be delivered today.
post #15 of 41 Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalrith View Post

Sure you can: link.

Wow... I'm going to look into that... thank you!
post #16 of 41 Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I have a 65 inch Panny commercial plasma using two studs and its on there no matter what. the house would come down first. You will be fine. You would be amazed how much load they can bare, especially if a pro does the install.

Quote:

I have traditional studs and I still feel like this 60 incher is just too massive to want to hang on the wall. Although maybe in an earthquake, I would be better off.

My set is on a long slate bench that is attached to a fireplace that we never use. Just enough room for the components on each side of the stand. The first night I worried if the bench would fall (it is floating). And I would like to figure out how to stabilize it in the event of a quake. But I can't drill into slate. Maybe I can into the rock wall fireplace.

post #17 of 41 Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post

The same wall helps hold your house up, it should hold a tv.

I decided to go wall mount. After much searching, I found two that I felt comfortable with, the cheaper ones like Peerless had a load capacity just barely over the weight of the 6010FD.

Omnimount UPLT-X
http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...0-f854d5c0ad65

Sanus VMPL3
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...delCode/VMPL3/

The Omnimount was thinner (Omni=1.5" Sanus=2.3"), looked better from the side, and has "security" whatever that means. From the screenshots it looks higher quality, and the footprint was taller on the wall which should mean more stability/load capacity. It is supposed to be delivered today.

Quoting myself... heh.

Anyway, I finished the install and the Omnimount is pretty nice. The instructions were some of the worst I've seen, but not much to a wall mount though. It was much stronger than I expected and is very solid. I did several pull-ups on the crossbars and it didn't budge (I weigh 230lbs). Oh, and the lock the tv at a certain angle, you have to use a allen wrench. The included one but on the 6010 the crossbars are right where the handle is to turn their wrench. I used my own with extensions and was fine.
post #18 of 41 Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM

Anyone have the dimensions for the 6010 stand? Thanks in advance.
post #19 of 41 Old 12-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockey2k View Post
Anyone have the dimensions for the 6010 stand? Thanks in advance.
This will help I just found them This has other units as well.

DETAILEDDIMS.pdf 127.58203125k . file
post #20 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 05:44 AM

Quick question regarding these 2 mounts: According to the Pioneer 6010 manual it specifies the TV should be approximately 4" from the wall to maintain adequate ventilation. With the Omnimount being just 1.5" from the wall would it be better to go with the Sanus being 2.5" from the wall?
post #21 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj007 View Post

Quick question regarding these 2 mounts: According to the Pioneer 6010 manual it specifies the TV should be approximately 4" from the wall to maintain adequate ventilation. With the Omnimount being just 1.5" from the wall would it be better to go with the Sanus being 2.5" from the wall?

Your question raises an important issue that I have never considered. 60" PDPs generate a lot of heat and require adequate ventilation to insure their longevity and trouble free operation. The PRO-150FD & PDP-6010FD have internal fans and it seems reasonable to me that a PDP needs to have sufficient distance from the wall to insure there is no air flowing back to the display.
post #22 of 41 Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM

I know this thread has been cold for some time, but I stumbled across it in my search for information regarding the PRO-150FD & PDP-6010FD stands. I was about to pull the trigger on the PRO-150FD with plans to place it on its stand on top of my media console, but then realized that the 5.25" screen height does not clear my 8" high center channel that will be sitting in front of the panel. It looks like the 6010FD sits higher due to the attached speaker on the bottom of the panel. Can anyone confirm the height from the bottom of the 6010FD's stand to the bottom of the screen? Does anyone know whether the 6010FD's stand is interchangeable with that of the PRO-150FD? Any suggestions as to how to safely raise the PRO-150FD's screen to 8+" above the media console without wall mounting would be greatly appreciated.
post #23 of 41 Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman379 View Post

I know this thread has been cold for some time, but I stumbled across it in my search for information regarding the PRO-150FD & PDP-6010FD stands. I was about to pull the trigger on the PRO-150FD with plans to place it on its stand on top of my media console, but then realized that the 5.25" screen height does not clear my 8" high center channel that will be sitting in front of the panel. It looks like the 6010FD sits higher due to the attached speaker on the bottom of the panel. Can anyone confirm the height from the bottom of the 6010FD's stand to the bottom of the screen? Does anyone know whether the 6010FD's stand is interchangeable with that of the PRO-150FD? Any suggestions as to how to safely raise the PRO-150FD's screen to 8+" above the media console without wall mounting would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat - my Klipsch center speaker is 11" high. With the stand mounted, the bottom of my 6010 is 6.5" above the top of my media riser. I've opted to use a tilting wall mount (Sanus VMPL3) to raise the 6010 high enough to clear the center speaker. Leaving the center speaker on the riser keeps it at the same height as the tweeter/midrange drivers in my floor-standing front L/R speakers. Seemed like a better solution than wall-mounting the center speaker above the 6010 ....
post #24 of 41 Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 AM

Thanks for your response swlee! I bet your setup looks great, but unfortunately my media console is catty-cornered, so using a tilting wall mount is not a viable option. I could use a cantilever arm mount to extend the TV away from the wall and flush with the media console, but I'm weary of mounting a 60" 140lb TV that way. Since the 6010's stand would get me within 2" of clearing my 8" center channel, I was considering just building a 2" platform out of mdf board that was the exact size of the 6010's stand. That seems like a safer option than trying to extend the stand's metal posts through fabrication/welding or an alternative means. All of these approaches however assume that I'll be using the 6010's stand and not the 150FD's which only has 5" of clearance. Does anyone know whether the 6010FD's stand can be used with the 150FD?
post #25 of 41 Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Center speaker placement always seems to be an acoustic compromise with these large panels. My center speaker is deep and I ended up placing it below the stand near the floor and angled a little upward. Aesthetically good, a bit of sound compromise. I have two sturdy black boxes (old speakers on their sides) that the 6010 rests on that places it at optimum viewing height and the center speaker fits nicely between the boxes.

It turns out to work well, as my media cabinet is off to the side. May not be that helpful for you, however.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #26 of 41 Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman379 View Post

Thanks for your response swlee! I bet your setup looks great, but unfortunately my media console is catty-cornered, so using a tilting wall mount is not a viable option. I could use a cantilever arm mount to extend the TV away from the wall and flush with the media console, but I'm weary of mounting a 60" 140lb TV that way. Since the 6010's stand would get me within 2" of clearing my 8" center channel, I was considering just building a 2" platform out of mdf board that was the exact size of the 6010's stand. That seems like a safer option than trying to extend the stand's metal posts through fabrication/welding or an alternative means. All of these approaches however assume that I'll be using the 6010's stand and not the 150FD's which only has 5" of clearance. Does anyone know whether the 6010FD's stand can be used with the 150FD?

In case it's worth anything - the 6.5" clearance I measured is to the bottom of the bezel. To the bottom of the plasma panel is 9". So - if you don't mind the aesthetics of having your speaker block the Pioneer Elite logo by sitting in front of the bezel, this might work for you ... (I assume the bezel width is the same for the 6010 and 150, but you should verify that.)

Building a riser sounds like a possibility, as well. FWIW - my 6010 came with plastic straps for stabilizing the TV from tipping. They screw into the bottom back of the TV, then also screw into the back of the "furniture". So, that might help secure things if you do make a separate riser. If that works for you, maybe you can just use the 150's stand with a slightly taller riser.

Don't know about using the 6010 stand with the 150. Perhaps a call to Pioneer or your preferred vendor could answer that question ...
post #27 of 41 Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Did someone ask for me?
Here are the detailed dims on the 150 FD if you scroll up I posted the 6010FD dims, I hope this helps.

150FD DIMS.pdf 196.171875k . file
post #28 of 41 Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Is it really necessary to further secure the plasma by anchoring it to a platform or a wall as suggested by the owner's manual? I do live in earthquake country but I figure a jolt big enough to knock the plasma down would cause plenty of damage to my home. That is, the plasma would be the least of my worries.
post #29 of 41 Old 01-09-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswon View Post

Is it really necessary to further secure the plasma by anchoring it to a platform or a wall as suggested by the owner's manual? I do live in earthquake country but I figure a jolt big enough to knock the plasma down would cause plenty of damage to my home. That is, the plasma would be the least of my worries.

Exactly my thinking. But it is your call.
post #30 of 41 Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks so much everyone! This information really helps, especially the detailed dimensions Roman posted. I had seen them posted earlier in the thread, but my computer was giving me errors when trying to open them directly from the link. I thought they were bad files, but then just figured out that if I first save them to the hard drive, it allows me to open them from there.

Anyway, now that I know the 6010 base provides enough height to clear my center channel, I just need to find out whether the 6010 base fits the 150. If not, I'll probably downsize the center as I don't believe in making a TV decision based on a single speaker. Pioneer will be getting a call in the morning and I'll post the outcome here.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page