Panasonic Plasma or Olevia / Insignia LCD as PC Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Panasonic PX75U that was too cheap to pass up but I have a bit of a dilemma; I need this display to function as both a television (mostly for use w/ an Xbox360 / Wii / PS3) and a computer monitor (downloaded broadcasts / movies, medium internet use, medium PC gaming use). I am currently using an Olevia 32" LCD 1080i display (olevia.com/products/specs.aspx?pid=332H) and would replace it with the aforementioned Panny plasma. Would the plasma be a better choice for a display, or should i return it and continue to use my Olevia? Would an Insignia 1080P LCD be a better option than either of these two? (insignia-products.com/pc-308-1-insignia-42-1080p-flat-panel-lcd-hdtv.aspx) [Changing to the Insignia would cost me an additional $50]

My general usage time would breakdown as follows:
4 hours of computer use (Internet / Gaming)
2-3 hours of console gaming
1-2 hours of television use (Both broadcast and via PC)

I searched earlier for threads pertaining to Plasmas as computer monitors but I felt this warranted a new discussion because I have particular products in mind. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM

This unit the panny has a pixel shifter. no pc input but you cn use dvi to hdmi. just make sure that you break in the tv before you start using the pc on it.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 PM

This is about the only situation in which I would get an LCD. I have a plasma that I use for all of those things you describe, but I do not do a whole lot of web browsing. The plasma is great for HTPC functions and playing games, but for web browser and desktop use...... I would get a 1080p LCD. 1366x768 is just too low of a resolution for that, and add to that that you most likely will have to feed the TV 720p, not 1366x768. A 1080p screen is more likely to do 1:1 pixel matching that you would want for text. Plus I get some heavy image retention if I am in firefox for very long. It goes away, but its not something you want to have to look at all the time.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page