What is Panasonic Dead Pixel policy for Plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is Panasonic Dead Pixel policy for Plasma? I can't seem to find there policy on there webpage.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-14-2007, 04:17 AM

Liked: 12
All PDP manufacturer's assert that de d/stuck pixels are normal for this display technology as the trouble shooting section of any Panasonic owner's manual states:

"A pixel or luminescent spot can occasionally be missing in plasma displays. (Not a faulty symptom)"

However, if you read the Limited Warranty section of your manual there is no explicit statement regarding the exclusion of coverage for faulty pixel(s). Rather Panasonic states:

"If your product does not work properly because of a defect in materials or workmanship, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company or Panasonic Puerto Rico, Inc. (collectively referred to as the warrantor) will, for the length of the period indicated on the chart below, which starts with the date of original purchase (Limited Warranty period), at its option either (a) repair your product with new or refurbished parts, or (b) replace it with a new or a refurbished product. The decision to repair or replace will be made by the warrantor"

Depending on the number of dead/stuck pixel(s) and their location on your display, Panasonic may or may not choose to replace the unit.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-14-2007, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Dead pixel procedure is handle the same throughout each manufacturer. What seems defective to us, is not considered defective to a manufacturer. These are some of the choices we have to live with.

Chris
post #4 of 33 Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 AM

is this an easy thing to spot? whats the best way to see if you have one? i have about 40 hrs on my 58700u and can not find a dead or stuck pixel.
post #5 of 33 Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCR3 View Post

is this an easy thing to spot? whats the best way to see if you have one? i have about 40 hrs on my 58700u and can not find a dead or stuck pixel.

Yes, you would know it if you saw it. So, stop looking!!
post #6 of 33 Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 AM

thank you!
post #7 of 33 Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 AM

I just had one pop up on my 42PX85 after barely 15hrs of running in.
Its a faultering pixel about one and a half inch down from the top.
The color changing DVD is making it really obvious though.

Should I bother talking to panasonic about it?
post #8 of 33 Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokonomi View Post

I just had one pop up on my 42PX85 after barely 15hrs of running in.
Its a faultering pixel about one and a half inch down from the top.
The color changing DVD is making it really obvious though.

Should I bother talking to panasonic about it?

There is nothing to talk with them about. 1 pixel is not considered a defect.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokonomi View Post

I just had one pop up on my 42PX85 after barely 15hrs of running in. Its a faultering pixel about one and a half inch down from the top. The color changing DVD is making it really obvious though. Should I bother talking to panasonic about it?

If you can see this bad pixel from your normal viewing distance then yes contact Panasonic about it. They have repaired or replaced other AVS members' TVs for bad pixels if it was ruining their viewing experience. If you can only see it when you're abnormally close to the TV then they probably won't do anything for you.

By the model number i presume you're not in North America, but it's still worth a try. Does the store you bought it from have a good return policy?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10 of 33 Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM

The store takes it back with full refund within 8 days, but I dont think ill bother.
Its only a blue subpixel and I cant even spot its from 3ft away on a completely blue screen (break-in DVD). In all normal content ive tried watching on this TV I cant even find it unless im down to 1ft and staring at it for a littlebit.

Ive even read that pixels that seem faulty in the first couple hundred hours might even start working again once the phosfor settles.

Atleast its not like obnoxiously prominent white pixel I had on my LCD monitor a while ago.
post #11 of 33 Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 PM

My TC-P46G15 which was bought a couple weeks ago has 4 dead pixels. I didn't notice it till recently, when I plugged in my computer. The dead pixels were visible on the wall paper which is light and are also visible on the still dvd player startup image. Its not really a problem i should say, rather a little annoying. Should I give calling panasonic a shot? Maybe with the inhome warranty they will do something.
post #12 of 33 Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM

avhelpneeded ... i have a stuck red pixel and i used the Pansonic Concierge chat (see below for link) not to long ago. The agent stated even with one stuck pixel they would either repair or replace the tv. I have not had time to set an appointment yet but I would give that shot and I figured with 4 dead they will replace it. Hope that helps.

http://www2.panasonic.com/vieraconcierge
post #13 of 33 Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 PM

That's awesome. Three of my dead pixels are stuck together and make an incomplete square, on the bottom left an inch from the bottom. The other one is further up on the left. Maybe there are others.

Will give concierge a call. Let me know how your call goes.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If it was noticeable and irksome, I'd take that joker back in a minute and ask for another one. No way I'd be satisfied even if it is common.
post #15 of 33 Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This is a good reason to look for a seller with a good return policy - 30 days minimum IMO, or 90 days even better (Target, Sears, KMart, Walmart, Sams, Costco). HH Gregg usually has the best prices but have only a 15 day return policy. Still, most dead pixels will show up by then as they are a manufacturing defect that should not have passed QC.

For the record, I still use a 5 year old 42" Panny ED that to this day has no problem pixels and no problems period. Purchased at Sams Club. It was made in Japan, which may explain that. OTOH, my brother has a 4 year old 50" 720p model, made in Mexico, and it also has had no problems including no bad pixels. His was purchased at Rex, which closed their local store last year.

"The truth is out there!"
post #16 of 33 Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Do dead pixels show up in any particular time period,i mean would they show up within a week or so or can they show up down the road at anytime?
post #17 of 33 Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 AM

what about concierge? Should i return it to the seller instead?

we got it at the store 13 days ago.
post #18 of 33 Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

If the vendor policy allows it, then yes. You did read the policy before buying, didn't you?
post #19 of 33 Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

I bought it at an electric store close by. Since it is opened now, it must receive an authorization number. I will call them and find out what they can do, otherwise ill just talk to Panasonic directly and it shouldn't be a problem since they don't seem to give customers trouble for dead pixels.
post #20 of 33 Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 PM

I just noticed two dead pixels in the lower right of my 50" S14. I have to be within a couple of feet to notice them and that's only when I've been running break in slides. They don't show up on dark slides, only lighter ones. I have about 175 hours on mine. They might have been there for a while and I just noticed them. If any more appear, I may contact Panasonic. Anyone else contact them? What did they say?
post #21 of 33 Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 AM

I do not know the details of panasonics policy for stuck or dead pixels, or even if they actually have one. I didn't feel like contacting the store i bought it from and bringing it back there, its a heavy piece of equipment and I didn't want to risk it getting damaged or lose the time over it. I contacted viera concierge, and they setup an appointment with Tech of NJ. They came on the day the were supposed to come and confirmed the dead pixel cluster. I also had several other pixels which were stuck, not dead. They took photographs of the dead pixel cluster to send to panasonic. If you have just 'stuck' pixels loners they (panasonic) may not do anything about it. The stuck pixels constantly displayed a red color, the dead ones were just plain dark like a whole in the tv. I'll hear back from them next week and let you guys know.
post #22 of 33 Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 AM

The repair crew came in twice after i had setup an appointment with panasonic. The first time they do what they normally do with such an issue, they take pictures of the dead pixel(s) and follow a set of procedures to report the issue to panasonic. Panasonic actually asked them to come a second time to make sure that it 'wasn't dust inside the screen'. They took the panel apart to confirm that it wasn't to panasonic. They'll be back with a new panel next time.
LL
LL
post #23 of 33 Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhelpneeded View Post

The repair crew came in twice after i had setup an appointment with panasonic. The first time they do what they normally do with such an issue, they take pictures of the dead pixel(s) and follow a set of procedures to report the issue to panasonic. Panasonic actually asked them to come a second time to make sure that it 'wasn't dust inside the screen'. They took the panel apart to confirm that it wasn't to panasonic. They'll be back with a new panel next time.

Interesting picture - it shows that the 46G15 has four cooling fans, while my 46G10 only has two (the center ones). I didn't know the G15 has more fans than the G10, but i guess it makes sense since the thinner upper rear cabinet probably needs better cooling as there's less airspace underneath. So i guess now the G15 has three differences from the G10 (the others being the thinner rear cover and smaller silver accent in front).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #24 of 33 Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Are the g10 speakers any different? The g15 speakers are flimsy and small, but i knew that before i bought it. Still wouldn't change the tv for another one. If i need better speakers i get a receiver and a 2.1 system. I dont care for surround sound.
post #25 of 33 Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks to AVHELPNEEDED for keeping us all informed about this dead pixel issue, and how Panasonic deals with it. I agree that a cluster of dead ones all located near each other presents an entirely different abnormality than a couple scattered around the screen. Apparently, Panasonic is going to replace the unit -- to it's credit.
post #26 of 33 Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhelpneeded View Post

Are the g10 speakers any different? The g15 speakers are flimsy and small, but i knew that before i bought it. Still wouldn't change the tv for another one. If i need better speakers i get a receiver and a 2.1 system. I dont care for surround sound.

The G15 speakers are the exact same part number as the G10 and S1 speakers. All three of these models should sound virtually the same.

Randy
post #27 of 33 Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the response. In any case it wouldn't have changed my mind, this is a great TV. The picture settings are fine. You can also access a menu to display full screens of either red blue green white to check out for dead pixels. Press the volume down button on your side of the tv and the info button on the remote three times. Then press one, or navigate your menu. Though i'd mention that even though you might already know about this.

When i have more time i will look for a receiver to hook up good speakers to the tv. I don't believe you can hook speakers directly to the television right? Any early suggestions?
post #28 of 33 Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
BTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

If it was noticeable and irksome, I'd take that joker back in a minute and ask for another one. No way I'd be satisfied even if it is common.

ding ding ding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

This is a good reason to look for a seller with a good return policy - 30 days minimum IMO, or 90 days even better (Target, Sears, KMart, Walmart, Sams, Costco). HH Gregg usually has the best prices but have only a 15 day return policy. Still, most dead pixels will show up by then as they are a manufacturing defect that should not have passed QC.

AMEN. I bought a brand new TV from best buy yesterday (Panny G10) and it has 2 dead pixels on it, I called them and told them and they are having me bring it in for a new one. They are not seen at normal viewing distances but the fact that its there just bothers me to no end.

Its a pita to bring it back to the store but I'm going to take them up on their offer, I'd like to take care of this now instead of waiting till I cant take it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

Do dead pixels show up in any particular time period,i mean would they show up within a week or so or can they show up down the road at anytime?

If you are going to have dead pixels you are 90% more likely have them once you open up the box. 5% you will see them once you start breaking the TV in with the break in dvd and the other 5% will show up over time.
post #29 of 33 Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 PM

The guys (from a local company) came in today and replaced the plasma panel inside the television with a brand new one, with 0 dead pixels. Fantastic job. Cost 0$ and I didn't even have to move the television myself, they just came in. Thanks to their concierge service.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #30 of 33 Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 PM

more photos
LL