Cleaner left streaks on my Pioneer Plasma - Please Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just got back from travelling and it turns out my cleaner had to travel home for an emergency and sent along a friend instead. The friend didn't know the ins and outs of cleaning a Plasma screen (like don't use Windex!) and now there are streaks all over my Pioneer 5000ex panel that won't come out being wiped with my regular microfibre cloth.

What can I do to get rid of the streaks?? I *greatly* appreciate any help in saving my screen!

Thanks,

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about saving your screen, but I would definitely shoot the "friend".

"Information is only as good as the accuracy of the source"
post #3 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 10:30 AM

Warm soapy water and a soft cloth?
post #4 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM

make sure the plasma has been off for a while, ie the glass should be cool.

use a moist cloth, just enough to feel "wet" without any water being able to drip off. use NO SOAP, youll just add more chemicals and solvents.

wipe and rinse till you get all the residue, and do not turn on the plasma until the glass is completely dry, wait a few hours. you dont want the film to react to the heat while its damp, it will bubble.

good luck
post #5 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 AM

Liked: 12
most likely you will have to replace the panel glass:

post #6 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.

John: if I had a gun... ;-)
tvtvtv: i'll give this a try before moving on to replacing the glass
optivity: how easy is replacing the panel glass? How do I find somewhere to do this?
post #7 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMotu View Post

Thanks for all the responses.

John: if I had a gun... ;-)
tvtvtv: i'll give this a try before moving on to replacing the glass
optivity: how easy is replacing the panel glass? How do I find somewhere to do this?

Which model Pioneer do you have. Try nothing until after you have read the cleaning instructions and/or contacted Pioneer for advise. You just might make things worse if your set has an anti-glare coating on the surface. First do no further harm. Good luck.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 PM

Try room temp distilled water misted on the screen and dried with a terrycloth towel (lightly).

If you are still having problems and can take a picture of the screen, PM me and I may be able to help (I am a cleaning products formulator and I have a pretty good idea of the chemistries at play here).

Good luck!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Which model Pioneer do you have. Try nothing until after you have read the cleaning instructions and/or contacted Pioneer for advise. You just might make things worse if your set has an anti-glare coating on the surface. First do no further harm. Good luck.

Yup, but first find out what product the cleaners friend used on your screen.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, once again, thanks for all the assistance...

I travel a lot and am actually away at the moment so I can't verify the exact model number of the screen. I said it was the PDP-5000ex before, but that is actually the screen from my other home (which thankfully the cleaner's friend got nowhere near!).

The screen that is damaged is a 61" Pioneer PDP something-or-other from about 2-3 years ago. I will confirm the model number when I get back. I did check the manual, which said to clean it only with the supplied cloth, and this is what was being done up until this incident.

The cleaner's friend used a glass cleaner called Windolene, which we get here in the UK. I believe it is basically the same as Windex. I will call Pioneer and see what they say... but taysdad, don't be surprised if I take you up on your offer and send a photo across

I'm not back until the 26th December, so I'll get back on the matter then... though obviously that's right in the middle of all the festivities so the matter may have to take a little longer to resolve (I hope!).

All the best,

M
post #11 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

most likely you will have to replace the panel glass:

Don't scare the guy. It's just windex. When he gets home he will clean it with warm water and mild soap, then just warm water, then a soft dry cloth. It will be like new.

I've noticed windex leaves streaks on windows if there is any kind of oil/dirt problem. It's probably smeared oil that is now visible. Mild soap will disolve the oil.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

I just got back from travelling and it turns out my cleaner had to travel home for an emergency and sent along a friend instead. The friend didn't know the ins and outs of cleaning a Plasma screen (like don't use Windex!) and now there are streaks all over my Pioneer 5000ex panel that won't come out being wiped with my regular microfibre cloth.

What can I do to get rid of the streaks?? I *greatly* appreciate any help in saving my screen!

Thanks,

M

I dug up this thread to make you feel better. Windex is no big deal. Look what this guy did-

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=715429
post #13 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

Don't scare the guy. It's just windex. When he gets home he will clean it with warm water and mild soap, then just warm water, then a soft dry cloth. It will be like new.

I've noticed windex leaves streaks on windows if there is any kind of oil/dirt problem. It's probably smeared oil that is now visible. Mild soap will disolve the oil.

I'm not trying to scare anyone & it's hard to know the best approach to use w/o the display model information. More recent PDPs include a anti-glare finish applied to the surface of the glass, which is integral to the design of the panel and the image it renders. If you mar the finish my impression is it cannot be repaired.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Just to be safe I will post here and call Pioneer before I do anything...

Doogie, when you say soap, do you mean like regular liquid soap for hands?
post #15 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to be safe I will post here and call Pioneer before I do anything...

Doogie, when you say soap, do you mean like regular liquid soap for hands?

I know Im not Doogie, but I would say Dawn would work well, it takes the oil off of almost everything. You dont need a lot of soap, but just enough to clean it. I had the same thing happen to me. The girlfriend thought she would be nice and clean up the apartment and next thing I know I have streaks all over my display (Older Philips Plasma) and warm soapy water did the trick.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM

So is Dawn safe? I had some kind of cleaner applied by the house cleaners - seems mainly on the frame of this 50" Pioneer Plasma, but some on the screen. I used a cotton sock to buff and actually fogged the bad spots with my breath and it looked like all was fine but in bright daylight I see streaks still.

A little Dawn and then a little well-controller water to safely rinse? Obviously cannot let any get into enclosure. This is a rather glossy screen - not sure what coating is there - tho when I lightly scratch a corner of the screen it does not feel "glassy smooth" but somehow rougher. Dunno.

What to do..? Thanks.

blakespot

my home theater setup: gallery
post #17 of 20 Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 PM

Would something like the Monster FlatScreen Screen Clean kit (no alcohol apparently) work? It's a spray + microfiber cloth but says that if your display stipulates "soap and water only" then don't use it... So maybe it's not safe?

Tnx. Really would like to get this figured out, even though the streaks aren't horrible.

And if I do anything with soap and water - I need to wait HOURS before using the set or the coating will bubble? Mentioned earlier in this thread - is this correct?

blakespot

my home theater setup: gallery
post #18 of 20 Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 PM

According to my Hitachi manual "Clean the screen with a soft cloth moistened in warm water and dry with a soft cloth. A mild soap may be used if the screen is extremely dirty." Doesn't mention any wait time before the display can be used again.

I would say Dawn or some other mild dish soap maybe even Dial would do the trick. I would stay away of some of the newer soaps that have additives such as lotions or moisturizers. Just be very aware of how wet you make the cloth, I would say that could be more damaging than anything.

Good Luck!

dazed

after your post I immediately reminded the wife regarding the cleaning of my new baby. (tv baby I mean!)

Living up to my user name.

"Put a nuke down a bug hole and you got a lot of dead bugs...." Starship Troopers
post #19 of 20 Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11
The OP hasn't been heard from in almost a month. It would be nice to know if this issue has been resolved and what was done.

Mark
post #20 of 20 Old 01-05-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I would hire a "cleaner" to take care of the cleaner....if ya know what I mean.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page