Pioneer Kuro Streaks Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 145 Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to post an update about the "streaks" issue on some Pioneers. I've posted a couple of times about having "streaks" on my new 5010FD in the owners thread and in the settings and issues thread. I took delivery of a new 5010FD a couple of weeks ago and after a few days noticed what looks like streaks on the backside of the glass of the panel. I contacted my dealer (Roman from Invision) and he said contact Pioneer. I contacted Pioneer and they said contact a local service center. I contacted the local service center and after two weeks the service center called me back. The service tech wouldn't even come out and look at it. He said he'd seen this before and that it is a problem with the new color filter on these models and that it's not a warranty defect but that it's an "out of box" defect and that you're dealer is responsible for replacing it. So looks like I'm back to square one and will have to call Roman tomorrow and get him to exchange the panel. I can't believe something like this gets past Pioneer quality control.

I was finally able to snap a few pictures and hopefully they'll attach here. The easiest way to capture the streaks in a picture was by focusing on a reflection so I shot pics of a lamp reflection in the screen (with the panel off). It was hard to get pictures of the streaks. It is much more pronounced when seen with the naked eye. Hopefully the pictures convey the effect though.

Does anyone else see this on their Kuro?
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 Old 12-27-2007, 05:39 PM

Good Lucky to get your replacement. Give us your up date with your dealer. I hope you will get a perfect new panel.
post #3 of 145 Old 12-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbellius View Post

I just wanted to post an update about the "streaks" issue on some Pioneers. I've posted a couple of times about having "streaks" on my new 5010FD in the owners thread and in the settings and issues thread. I took delivery of a new 5010FD a couple of weeks ago and after a few days noticed what looks like streaks on the backside of the glass of the panel. I contacted my dealer (Roman from Invision) and he said contact Pioneer. I contacted Pioneer and they said contact a local service center. I contacted the local service center and after two weeks the service center called me back. The service tech wouldn't even come out and look at it. He said he'd seen this before and that it is a problem with the new color filter on these models and that it's not a warranty defect but that it's an "out of box" defect and that you're dealer is responsible for replacing it. So looks like I'm back to square one and will have to call Roman tomorrow and get him to exchange the panel. I can't believe something like this gets past Pioneer quality control.

I was finally able to snap a few pictures and hopefully they'll attach here. The easiest way to capture the streaks in a picture was by focusing on a reflection so I shot pics of a lamp reflection in the screen (with the panel off). It was hard to get pictures of the streaks. It is much more pronounced when seen with the naked eye. Hopefully the pictures convey the effect though.

Does anyone else see this on their Kuro?

In this case we need to push on Pioneer first. Either switch the local dealer or have a Pioneer engineer come out personally. I have been out of the office for the last couple of days and will be back next week. Follow-up and we will go over options. Sorry to see this.

P.S. I have seen Pioneer take care of this before.
post #4 of 145 Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If it was built that way how is it the dealer's responsibility? "Out of the box" defect, I don't get it.
post #5 of 145 Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post

If it was built that way how is it the dealer's responsibility? "Out of the box" defect, I don't get it.

I don't get it either...is Pioneer saying that the dealer should unbox and inspect every single panel before accepting delivery from the factory? My way of thinking is that is something that the MANUFACTURER should take care of..

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #6 of 145 Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

I don't get it either...is Pioneer saying that the dealer should unbox and inspect every single panel before accepting delivery from the factory? My way of thinking is that is something that the MANUFACTURER should take care of..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post

It definitely came out of the factory like this and is some kind of manufacturing defect. I don't get how it's an "out of the box" defect either. The tech also kept trying to say that it was a "cosmetic" issue as if it were the same as a few scratches on the bezel or something. Something like this is definitely not cosmetic and directly affects the picture quality of the TV. The service tech I spoke with was of course a third party service center and not a direct employee of Pioneer, so his biggest concern was making sure he gets paid for his service call if he comes out. In the end he didn't want to even risk coming out. I've emailed him the pictures above and hopefully that changes his mind. If not I'll have to try to get a Pioneer engineer out or something as Roman suggests above.
post #7 of 145 Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 AM

So no other Kuro owner sees these streaks?

Do you see the streaks when watching content on the set? What if the replacement has the same issue or all Kuros have it? If all Kuros have this are you going to push them to give you something different?
post #8 of 145 Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM

I have not noticed this on my 6010FD. I notice a very dim reflection of light bulbs, but not streaks. I will take a closer look at it tonight. I would suggest possibly making a visit to the local store and see if the TV on display does the same thing. I'm sure they have a couple hundred bright lights you can use to make the judgement.
post #9 of 145 Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augmental View Post

So no other Kuro owner sees these streaks?

Do you see the streaks when watching content on the set? What if the replacement has the same issue or all Kuros have it? If all Kuros have this are you going to push them to give you something different?

I can definitely see the streaks when watching content. They are very obvious in any dark area of content. They're also visible sometimes on solid color fields or with certain camera movement. If all Kuros have this I would imagine more people would be chiming in here saying they see it too. I have a hard time believing a streaked screen coating like this is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post

I have not noticed this on my 6010FD. I notice a very dim reflection of light bulbs, but not streaks. I will take a closer look at it tonight. I would suggest possibly making a visit to the local store and see if the TV on display does the same thing. I'm sure they have a couple hundred bright lights you can use to make the judgement.

I've been to 3 different BBs (magnolia included) and couldn't see this on any of the Pioneers in the stores. That was one of the first things I did to make sure I wasn't just crazy. And yes, PLENTY of bright lights in BB to check this out Hopefully more Kuro owners will post if they see anything like this or not.
post #10 of 145 Old 12-28-2007, 06:03 PM
DFJ

I've had my Kuro for a week and I've seen no streaks whatsoever--even standing directly in front of it. Good luck getting this resolved and keep us posted.
post #11 of 145 Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

I have this on my less than one month old Elite 110FD, build date Oct 2007.

The best way to see it is to have a large, soft light source 8-10 feet away from the panel -- like Sbellius' lamp or in my case, a lamp and a large LCD computer monitor.

Shining a light too close to the panel will reflect off the glass, which looks cosmetically flawless. This tells me the streaks are inside, behind the outside pane.

After seeing those shots along with others it looks like the dreaded dirty screen effect from the 7th gen is alive and kicking. That is pretty much what my 4270 looked like before and Pioneer stated it was normal. I have seen this on a 4280 but it seems to be random on the 8th gen sets.
post #12 of 145 Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 PM

The 5080HD I have right now has those streaks to a lesser degree. It's in the right top corner of the screen then goes down the side to the bottom. I am getting this set replaced Thursday with a 1150HD, so hopefully all will be well with the new set.
post #13 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 12:08 AM

Hi all, just wanted to chime in about the issues with the screen coating on the Pioneers. I am the owner of a 6010, and I can say that this is definitely a manufacturing issue. Instead of the streaks, I have the blotches that are behind my screen. I can only see them when the t.v. is on but not showing any type of video signal. Like when my computer, that is hooked up to it, goes into sleep mode ,or when it is booting up. It looks like the coating that they put on the inside of the screen to obtain these low black levels, has been sprayed on and is uneven. It does, however effect picture quality, especially if there is a dark scene. Because where the blotches are, the details or obscured, as compared to other areas. Just wanted to let you guys out there with this problem know that you are not alone. But based on Pioneers track record, nothing will be done. That said, I think it is a decent t.v., but for the price, Pioneer will not be getting any repeat business from me. Because there or better alternatives out there, with out these obvious issues.

Gcox
post #14 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This brings back a lot of bad memories for me, when i owned a 5th gen 43" Pioneer, which developed marks and blotches within a week or so.

I had a window adjacent to the "wall mounted" Pioneer and the light reflection from the window showed up marks all over the screen that got worse over a short period of time.

At night (no window light) you couldn't see any marks at all and the screen looked normal but soon as light reflected on the screen the marks could clearly be seen.

I finally got Pioneer to come out after months of arguing with them and the retailer.

Pioneer said the it was normal, within spec rubbish, i got them to bring a replacement, which unfortunately also had the marks out-of-the-box, totally disappointed with the screen and Pioneer support, i sold the screen on and vowed never to buy their products again, got a Panasonic glass fronted plasma instead and it's been perfect.

I was thinking of maybe getting a 60" 1080P Kuro to upgrade, after all the good reports and thought that at last they have produced something more robust, but maybe not.

I physically looked at the KURO 60" model i was interested in but was a little disappointed to see that the front filter+ is still Plastic and not glass (or plastic laminated to a glass behind), which worries me as it's not as robust as Glass is and can easily be damaged.

I have uploaded pictures of what i had, these marks were behind the front filter.

I hope this is a few isolated incidents or i will definitely be staying clear.
LL
LL
LL
post #15 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmod View Post

This brings back a lot of bad memories for me, when i owned a 5th gen 43" Pioneer, which developed marks and blotches within a week or so.

I had a window adjacent to the "wall mounted" Pioneer and the light reflection from the window showed up marks all over the screen that got worse over a short period of time.

At night (no window light) you couldn't see any marks at all and the screen looked normal but soon as light reflected on the screen the marks could clearly be seen.

I finally got Pioneer to come out after months of arguing with them and the retailer.

Pioneer said the it was normal, within spec rubbish, i got them to bring a replacement, which unfortunately also had the marks out-of-the-box, totally disappointed with the screen and Pioneer support, i sold the screen on and vowed never to buy their products again, got a Panasonic glass fronted plasma instead and it's been perfect.

I was thinking of maybe getting a 60" 1080P Kuro to upgrade, after all the good reports and thought that at last they have produced something more robust, but maybe not.

I physically looked at the KURO 60" model i was interested in but was a little disappointed to see that the front filter+ is still Plastic and not glass (or plastic laminated to a glass behind), which worries me as it's not as robust as Glass is and can easily be damaged.

I have uploaded pictures of what i had, these marks were behind the front filter.

I hope this is a few isolated incidents or i will definitely be staying clear.

That's what my old 4270 looked like except worse. I was able to notice the streaks during light color scenes very easily.
post #16 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Just clean your plasma with some windex. I've seen streaking on a 4270 that we sell, and also while I was checking out the 5080 I also noticed the streaking. Im so used to looking for banding on LCD that I automatically look for it now and thats why I see it on the Pio. It looks like LCD banding. Ive not had any such issues with my 2 Panny plasmas. I may also be that many Pios have this issue, but not many people notice it. Almost every 4270 I saw at the store had streaking, but not all the 50" models had it. Anyway if possible, return it and wait for the new Panny coming this April which will have tech that is better then the Pio anyway at a cheaper price.
post #17 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Just clean your plasma with some windex. I've seen streaking on a 4270 that we sell, and also while I was checking out the 5080 I also noticed the streaking. Im so used to looking for banding on LCD that I automatically look for it now and thats why I see it on the Pio. It looks like LCD banding. Ive not had any such issues with my 2 Panny plasmas. I may also be that many Pios have this issue, but not many people notice it. Almost every 4270 I saw at the store had streaking, but not all the 50" models had it. Anyway if possible, return it and wait for the new Panny coming this April which will have tech that is better then the Pio anyway at a cheaper price.

You have insider info that Panny has new tech coming that will beat the Kuro?

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #18 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 AM

and behold the god almighty pio has issues as well, i thought i was in the losing cat. with my sammy 5084, huge relief thanks!
post #19 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Just clean your plasma with some windex.

it should be noted that before anyone gets the idea they should do this, i'm assuming that the poster is saying this in jest...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #20 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by executivechef01 View Post

and behold the god almighty pio has issues as well, i thought i was in the losing cat. with my sammy 5084, huge relief thanks!

wow. that was a helpful addition to this thread...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #21 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

I would say a stupid thing to do is use any form of liquid to clean this display.

Dry microfiber, supplied cloth only!

If you get kiddies oily finger marks or heavy dirt that requires at least some form of liquid removal, god help you!

From experience only a minority have reported this problem and thats because they have light reflecting on the screen that show the marks up and if you know it's there (know what to look for) then light scenes as suggested can do the same along with looking at it from a certain angle.

It's an inherent manufacturing design that is not 100% perfect but close.
post #22 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmod View Post

Pioneer said the it was normal, within spec rubbish, i got them to bring a replacement, which unfortunately also had the marks out-of-the-box, totally disappointed with the screen and Pioneer support

It's just insane that Pioneer had the nuts to claim the issue to be "within specs".....UNBELIEVABLE !!

I'm sure that NOBODY that works for Pioneer would have to live with a set like that, yet the general public has to deal with it.
post #23 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 AM

my previous post was a j/k sorry, but as far as cleaning goes use only a microfiber cloth, and a fine one at that. The only liquid used should be water (fine mist and maybe on a seperate microfiber first and apply) or plain alcohol, which i use on alot of my fiberglass and glass in my show car. But as far as the set goes SUNARF is 100% correct regardless of tv noone would deal with it, especially a company employee.
post #24 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunarf View Post

It's just insane that Pioneer had the nuts to claim the issue to be "within specs".....UNBELIEVABLE !!

I'm sure that NOBODY that works for Pioneer would have to live with a set like that, yet the general public has to deal with it.

Tell me about it, it was so frustrating at the time, when the answer they gave to all the questions/discrepancies was "it's within spec".

Electronically it was fine but cosmetically it was complete mess!

A real shame as the Kuro's look pretty good but what will they look like a few weeks down the line, a high cost gamble.
post #25 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my previous post was a j/k sorry, but as far as cleaning goes use only a microfiber cloth, and a fine one at that. The only liquid used should be water (fine mist and maybe on a seperate microfiber first and apply) or plain alcohol, which i use on alot of my fiberglass and glass in my show car. But as far as the set goes SUNARF is 100% correct regardless of tv noone would deal with it, especially a company employee.

I wouldn't go anywhere near it with any liquid and that includes water in any form, as stated in the manual.
post #26 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
joking about the windex. That **** will really mess up your display. It will eat away at the coating of the panel and leave even more permanent streaks. Im not joking about the problems that Pio has with it's uneven coating. Im really surprised more people don't complain about it more.

As for Pannys new tech. Dnice has said on many occasions that Panny will have some new tech that will give them a huge boost in performance. Dnice seems to be an "insider" but he will not give any specific info. Anyway CES is little over a week away.
post #27 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Great...another issues to look out for. I am going to go over my 6010FD with a fine tooth comb!! For the money I am spending it better be flawless!

-The Dave
----Check my QUAD 18" Fi IB Build Thread!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
post #28 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
To see these streaks, it requires a particular kind of lighting condition. Since every user's panel is set up in different lighting conditions, it will be very hard to determine how widespread this issue is.

Hard, angled light sources will not reveal the streaks. You need a soft, diffuse source hitting the screen directly from 8+ feet away. The larger the light source the better (a north facing window or a large softbox).
post #29 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 05:41 PM

just to update - ge makes a plasma lcd panel cleaning kit which seems to have been reffered to me from numerous friends - look for it on ebay or something and see if it can be usefull.
post #30 of 145 Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

just to update - ge makes a plasma lcd panel cleaning kit which seems to have been reffered to me from numerous friends - look for it on ebay or something and see if it can be usefull.

please note that these "plasma cleaning kits" are NOT safe for use on all plasma screens. there was a kuro owner not too long ago who found this out the hard way.

- chris

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page