Here is my set up, is it worth it to get a Plasma TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now I have a Sony CRT 25" TV. I have poor man's cable, basic basic cable where I get the network channels, local tv, TBS and some Canadian channels because I live close enough to Canada. I watch prime time TV, sports and I use a Panasonic DMR-EH75V - DVD recorder / VCR combo with 80GB HDD that I love because I can record my prime time TV and uncut movies from the Canadian Stations.

I really have had no desire to get a HD TV because of my set up. For Christmas I treated myself to a Canon HG 10 camcorder that films in 1080i (closer to 14xx by 1020). Ran the camcorder through the TV and I was disappointed with the output. I got an HDMI cord and set up the camera through a friends Kuro 5010 and it blew me away. I loved the colors, darks and the fact that it is Digital Cable Ready (DCR).

Of course now I am seriously thinking about a Kuro 5010, but the price for watching the camcorder just isn't worth it if everything else I have is SD. The Panasonic on the box says that it will upconvert to 720p/1080i. Does anyone else have the DVD player and were you able to notice the difference on a Plasma.

Feb 2009 is the date where analog no longer works. I still plan on having my poor man's cable because I have had digital cable in past and I do not care to have 100's of channels that I will not use. If Fios comes through the area that may change though. When the change happens in Feb 2009, will HD TV come through standard cable? Since I have heard that source is so important, does using the old coaxial cable make for a bad source? Is there a way to run an HDMI cable from the cable source to the TV instead of the coaxial cable? Right now channel 2, which is NBC, gets a lot of ghosts on the TV. Would it be worse with a 5010 Kuro?

Also I don't know if my room set up is right for the Plasma. I mainly watch TV at night, but in the summer or weekend when I am on vacation and I catch some late afternoon TV I notice glare on the Sony CRT since we have a big Bay Window that is right next to the TV. We can move it to the other side of the room, but than that puts us sitting about 12-14 feet from the TV instead of 8-10 feet.

I keep on reading how when using a Plasma with 1080p that most of the material that will be watched, has to fit a million parts on 2 million parts. Does that make the picture less sharp. I know that when I bought a 17" LCD for my desktop that I was disappointed when I saw a similar model that was 15", the 15" screen was much better because the pixel size was smaller. Will something similar happen to a 50" 1080p Plasma compared to a 42" plasma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You've been infected. Being worth it is subjective gut since you're asking I think you're already there. Happy shopping and comparing
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page