All you 1080p fans beware! Hail to the 768p Plasma King Baby! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

It's tiring to see people here whine about Pioneer's pricing policy. During their rant they usually make a comment about some nominal PQ difference between the Pioneer and the Panny. So, if there is a huge price difference and minor PQ difference then just buy the Panny and move on.

Truth is they don't really feel that way. They understand the Panasonic picture is much inferior, they just aren't willing to pay for the quality so they criticize the company. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ahhhh, back again with nothing helpful to add. I'm not attacking Pioneer. Why would I? Obviously you didn't read through the thread, but like always read what you want and attack anyone who has anything critical to say about some company you adore. So weird.

Take a look a few post back. I wrote...

"If only 1080p Kuros were within my price range, but alas, they are not. I really hope Pioneer gets wise and puts out some lower budget 1080p models with similar if not the same performance. They shouldn't worry so much about slimming the size of the pannel, but slimming down price. I think if both the Panisonic and Pioneer 1080p models were in the same price range it would have be a no brainer."

I'm not sure what your point is and why you always have the attitude you do, but I did say that I like the Pioneers better and if I was comfortable spending that much money on a single display I would have bought one. I like pioneers more than Panisonics. I like IS400's better than Accords, but I'm not running to buy a Lexus either. That is my point...IF THEY WERE CHEAPER AND THE SAME QUALITY EVERYONE WOULD BUY ONE! Isn't that why threads were created in anticipation of Kuro price drops? I mean if you want to pay more by all means, be my guest.

If I in any way offended the president of Pioneer or the company as a whole with my outlandish opinion of wanting to buy a quality product for less, I appologize.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Simple. Clean. information about high definition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post

Ahhhh, back again with nothing helpful to add. I'm not attacking Pioneer. Why would I? Obviously you didn't read through the thread, but like always read what you want and attack anyone who has anything critical to say about some company you adore. So weird.

Take a look a few post back. I wrote...

"If only 1080p Kuros were within my price range, but alas, they are not. I really hope Pioneer gets wise and puts out some lower budget 1080p models with similar if not the same performance. They shouldn't worry so much about slimming the size of the pannel, but slimming down price. I think if both the Panisonic and Pioneer 1080p models were in the same price range it would have be a no brainer."

I'm not sure what your point is and why you always have the attitude you do, but I did say that I like the Pioneers better and if I was comfortable spending that much money on a single display I would have bought one. I like pioneers more than Panisonics. I like IS400's better than Accords, but I'm not running to buy a Lexus either. That is my point...IF THEY WERE CHEAPER AND THE SAME QUALITY EVERYONE WOULD BUY ONE! Isn't that why threads were created in anticipation of Kuro price drops? I mean if you want to pay more by all means, be my guest.

If I in any way offended the president of Pioneer or the company as a whole with my outlandish opinion of wanting to buy a quality product for less, I appologize.

Quit criticizing their business model because you won't pay the price of their product.
post #93 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

I told my buddy last night "seeing a kuro is like seeing HDTV for the first time... again"

it's true, no they aren't cheap, maybe they'll go out of business because people will justify their cheaper comprimise purchase getting something else... but at the end of the day, you might have paid 25 to 50% less but you got that much less PQ too... this is so sure to me it's not even worth arguing

just keep walking in those stores and thinking how "stupid" everyone is paying the premium for those darned kuro sets
post #94 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Did someone say Pioneer makes budget panels in anything? 5080 is not a Budget Panel and never has been comparatively, whereas D64 is the low end tier totally intended for budget level consumers as it's 100% Mexico build.

BTW Michigan did beat that SEC Team Florida! Ohio State doesn't know how to defend a spread - MI learned the hard way and now will evolve to become one themselves.

Kuro is a great panel deemed by many but I've yet to see any greatness in it whatsoever during five reviews I found the 71 series and XBR4 superior. Can anyone imagine the sheeite fit fanboys would have had something actually trumped the Kuro? The Kuro seems to have become a sanctified religion on this forum a status Panasonic held a few years ago when I followed their fanboy advice that proved worthless and costly at the same time buying into the fan base when it doesn't match your personal preference and I don't touch the stove a second time with plasma. Enjoy and flame on!

westa I changed out my 81,71, and xbr4 and there is no way I'm giving back the 5080. What does that tell you?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #95 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quit criticizing their business model because you won't pay the price of their product.

It's like talking to a child...

He's not criticizing anything. He's expressing the desire for cheaper Kuros. A common emotion among AVS'ers.
post #96 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen050 View Post

He's not criticizing anything. He's expressing the desire for cheaper Kuros. A common emotion among AVS'ers.

I had him on ingore, but took him off. I guess he has to go back on the list. Let me ask all of the Kuro owners out there. Why did you buy the 720p version instead of the 1080p version? Why did you by the Pioneer and not the Elite? Did you run out and buy the first Kuro you could get your hands on or did you shop around for the best price?

We all know the answers to those questions. The point is, we all have our reasons for making the purchases we do. Just because we take part in these forums doesn't mean we all have the same viewing environment, seating arangements, eyesight, budgets or priorities.

I have even seen someone so stuck up on these forums that they proclaimed that all Pioneer PDPs are crap unless it's an Elite. Imagine, even within the Pioneer owners community their are still "classes". It's a good thing the Runco and Fujitsu owners don't hang out here.

I think it is so strange...the elitist (no pun intended) attitude that some take. You don't see Panisonic or Samsung owners creating threads to show that the products they buy are superior to Vizio or Sanyo products...that's what all these 1080p/720p threads are about. We know people make the best purchasing choices they can. I'm not going to make them feel stupid for buying the best that they can afford. But I guess some people need to have pride in something. If you are that proud of the company that manufactures your tv, knock yourself out. Seems sad to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #97 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen050 View Post

And in the process he rips Pioneer's marketing and business acumen for pricing their products out of his range.
post #98 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:

It's a good thing the Runco and Fujitsu owners don't hang out here.

They are too busy
Quote:

And in the process he rips Pioneer's marketing and business acumen for pricing their products out of his range.

Did you just quote me??? Pay attention! I do not agree with you.
post #99 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's funny after all that...this is the only thing you see...issues man, issues.

post #100 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 PM

lol
post #101 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's funny after all that...this is the only thing you see...issues man, issues.

The uninformed always have opinions on how others should conduct their business. If you can't afford a Pioneer just say so. Don't blame them
post #102 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

This is getting entertaining except...
westa6969 made a plasma is inferior to lcd jab and only one person bit. Focus people. Focus.

Doesn't matter. OLED will rule them all.
post #103 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontifexMaximus View Post

westa6969 made a plasma is inferior to lcd jab and only one person bit. Focus people. Focus.

When do you think OLED will compete on price with plasma. Most think it will take years.
post #104 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When do you think OLED will compete on price with plasma. Most think it will take years.

I don't know...that 11" model from Sony is selling for cool price of $2500, only $227 per inch. Nevermind the lost screen real estate. It's OLED and has a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, it's worth it.

If I sit 6 inches away, I'd swear I have a big screen.
post #105 of 319 Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dude...he's got a Sharp.

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #106 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Understanding sarcasm is a gift of the intelligent.

post #107 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understanding sarcasm is a gift of the intelligent.

Then we'll have to take care explaining things to you
post #108 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You right. Your grasp of the concept is quite evident in this quote my transparent friend.

By the way, pulling the old "you can't afford it" jab from your elitist forum play book is the oldest trick known to man. 100% of us in these forums know there is a great difference in what you can afford and what you decide is too much. Take a look at your post history. Then take a look in the mirror. Ask yourself when was the last time you helped someone out or contributed something worth while, besides your never ending need to belittle those that haven't purchased the same make and model of every product you own.

I won't be able to replay, because you will be back on my very short ignore list. See ya!

post #109 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Omletepants despises the Panasonic brand for some unknown reason and he constantly invades threads posting negative comments about them, even if the thread has nothing to do with Panasonics. He hides when you challenge him to back up his claims or post links or cite references to prove the venom he spews.

If i'm not mistaken, he has had two Pioneer plasmas and returned them both and ended up getting a Samsung if that tells you anything

its tells you something simple.
he made a GREAT DECISION.
samsung makes great sets.
you all sit here and talk about what this man says when your all hating on samsung. please obviously your just as childish.
you to allen.
i have the samsung 5084 50 inch 1080p and im BLOW AWAY by the set.
all sets have PROBLEMS. people are complaing with the pioneer buzz just as the samsung.
im lucky to have a set with no problems and i do have to say when i was at the store the samsung 5084 was next to a 1080p panny and it blew the set out of water where the panny was overpriced and the picture was dull. maybe it was the BB feed but when you walk into the isle at BB and look at the plasma a few sets POP its the samsung 5084 the samsung 5054 and the pioneer 5080.
i thought the 5084 popped a little more then the 5080 and i wanted 1080p so i went with it. i also paid less for the 5084 at the time.
maybe omlet seen what i seen in the pannys?
obviously he did and he has a set he loves now just like me.i think the 5080 pioneer is a great set and at that price its worth it. it definitly was better then the pannys BB had on display.
even after playing with the settings i couldnt get it to pop like the pioneer or the sammy.
even the gui isnt that great.
if it makes you feel better i thought the 5080 popped better then the 1080p pioneers even the 60 inch.
post #110 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Just received my Feb 08 Home Theater issue with their 2008 HDTV Face off:

Scores in the following order (with category winners in bold) -
Build Quality, Value, Features, Performance, Ergonomics, Overall Rating

#7 Samsung HL-T6187S DLP-LED
LEDs are the future. It's not the future.
79, 84, 90, 75, 87, 81
Original MSRP: $2500

#6 Sharp LC-52D64U LCD
So much good, one bad.
89, 88, 88, 86, 88, 87
Original MSRP: $3299

#5 JVC LT-47X898 LCD
120 hertz to the rescue?
87, 87, 90, 87, 87, 87
Original MSRP: $3300

#4 Mitsubishi WD-57833 DLP
It's good to be in the middle.
88, 90, 90, 88, 87, 89
Original MSRP: $2500

#3 Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD
Don't count RPTVs out yet.
87, 94, 94, 89, 92, 91
Original MSRP: $2200

#2 Panasonic TH-50PZ750 Plasma
So good, almost perfect.
92, 93, 88, 93, 90, 92
Original MSRP: $3500

#1 Pioneer PDP-5080HD Plasma
The new king.
95, 95, 92, 95, 90, 94
Value was rated at 95 for it's outdated $3,500 price...imagine it's value now at $2,000 - $2,500.
Original MSRP: $3500

Avg. Screen Size: 54", Avg. MSRP: $2,971

It's an excellent article, be sure to check it out.

The subjective value ratings of one individual does not mean a lot to those who can afford the best.

post #111 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

Dude...he's got a Sharp.

lol - priceless
post #112 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I won't be able to replay, because you will be back on my very short ignore list. See ya!

I will alert the media
post #113 of 319 Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

The subjective value ratings of one individual does not mean a lot to those who can afford the best.

Care to trade?
post #114 of 319 Old 01-18-2008, 03:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Care to trade?

With the 9G super-duper black models coming soon... who would really want a not so Kuro PDP these days?
post #115 of 319 Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

With the 9G super-duper black models coming soon... who would really want a not so Kuro PDP these days?

LOL Pretty good job on graying out the word KURO.... For me it's come down for a bedroom system, a XBR4 and the Pioneer 5080, like both for various different reasons.. But if Pioneer would have dropped there prices on these at Christmas they wouldn't have any stock left and I would most likely have one hanging on my wall in my bedroom. The good thing is are Master suite isn't done yet, so I have some time to decide, still have 46" XBR4 in box and can exchange it, if I desire to and at the current prices of the 5080 I just might do that....
post #116 of 319 Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They understand the Panasonic picture is much inferior, they just aren't willing to pay for the quality so they criticize the company. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Actually I own the pioneer 5080 and I find pio's pricing policy inexplicable.

Take, for example, the absolutely absurd difference in price between the 1080p 5010 and the 768p 5080.

Thank goodness panasonic is around to give them a run for their money. Otherwise we would not have seen the recent $1000 price drop for the 5080 MSRP.

I agree that the kuro has better PQ, but the price differences from Pioneer are not justifiable. They charge a premium not because of manufacturing/quality differences...but because people are willing to pay.
post #117 of 319 Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 AM

This thread is pointless. It's arguing why the most expensive tv is the best.
Let's argue about Lexus vs. Kia and then complain about Lexus pricing at the same time.
Moderators, delete this thread!
post #118 of 319 Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post

This thread is pointless. It's arguing why the most expensive tv is the best.
Let's argue about Lexus vs. Kia and then complain about Lexus pricing at the same time.
Moderators, delete this thread!

If this thread is so pointless, why do you keep coming here to tell us it's pointless? If it's pointless, why are you reading it?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12834533
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12835159

One of the points I wanted to talk about in this thread is that if 1080p is so important, why did a 768p tv beat out 6 other similarly priced 1080p tvs?
Perhaps there is more to look for in a tv than just resolution such as: contrast, color saturation, and color accuracy...

The Lexus vs Kia analogy is way off by the way. The Panasonic had the same MSRP and two other tv's had $3300 MSRPs.
I also was hoping others would read the review and provide feedback.
post #119 of 319 Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

westa I changed out my 81,71, and xbr4 and there is no way I'm giving back the 5080. What does that tell you?

Considering you were die hard LCD when you started comparing all the displays, it says a lot, but something changed, instead of seeing the light you embraced the dark side.
How's that Kuro been treating you?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #120 of 319 Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of the points I wanted to talk about in this thread is that if 1080p is so important, why did a 768p tv beat out 6 other similarly priced 1080p tvs?

Bolded for truth.

I agree though. Lots of factors determine what is best, and what is best for one person may not be to another.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page