Panny PZ700U/750U Calibration Settings & Black Level Poll (Light or Dark?) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you start with your black level set to Light or Dark?
Light 0 0%
Dark 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, there are enough of us out there now who own a version of the Panny 700U/750U that it makes sense to have a dedicated thread for our calibration settings. People have posted their settings in various places, but I think a central thread makes some sense.

Please post your model number, environment "type" (darkened room, dedicated HT, living room, bright room, etc.), sources, calibration method (professional, ISF, DVE, Avia, eyeball, etc.), and ALL of your settings. So, for example, here are mine:

Model: TH-58PZ700U
Environment Type: Brightly lit living room.
Sources: Oppo 981HD DVD Player (via HDMI) and DirecTV HR20-700 HD-DVR (via HDMI).
Calibration Method: DVE for the DVD Player and HDNet Test Pattern for the DVR.
Picture Mode: Custom
Picture: +24
Brightness: +19 on DVD, +13 on DVR
Color: -2
Tint: +1
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm
Color Mgmt: On
C.A.T.S.: Off
Zoom Adjust: Greyed Out
PC Adjust: Greyed Out
Video NR: Off
3D Y/C Filter: Off
Color Matrix: HD
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Off
HD Size: Size 2 (unless image has junk on edges then I switch to Size 1 to create the overscan)

Also, there's an ongoing question as to whether it makes more sense to "start" with the Black Level set to "light" or to "dark", so I've posted a poll on that topic as well.

Thanks to all who participate!

--Mav

P.S. I would REALLY like to keep this thread dedicated to settings only. Questions I think are better handled in the Owners' Thread which is used by a rather large group of very helpful folks who can answer pretty much any question you can throw at them. This thread, though, I think is better used for settings ONLY. Thanks!

EDIT 1/23/08: I adjusted the Color Temp to "Warm" per the almost universal sentiment that this is closest to 6500K. It took a few days to get used to the adjustment from "Normal" but once I did, it really does provide the most "accurate" color. This, of course, also required me to recalibrate using DVE; the only thing that changed though, was Color was bumped up from -4 to -2 (also modified above).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Model: TH-50PZ700U
Environment Type: Brightly lit living room, windows to one side.
Sources: Panny S53K Upconverting DVD Player and Comcast 8300HD (Atlanta Scientific).
Calibration Method: Combination of Posts and Eyeballin' It
Picture: +18
Brightness: +12
Color: +2
Sharpness: +3
Color Temp: Warm
3:2 Pulldown: On
HD Size: Size 1
post #3 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 AM

Model: TH-42PZ700U
Environment Type: It's January and it's been gloomy all month.Window to the right side.
Sources:Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDMI =Rogers HD. Panasonic DMP-BD30B-Ray
Calibration Method:I know what outside looks like,people,squirrels,autos,pianos,guitars,flutes,brass horns,trumpets,etc.
Picture Mode:Custom
Picture: +28
Brightness: +18
Color: -5,,edit..-4edit:now at-3
Tint: +3 edit:Tint-1
Sharpness: +2 sometimes -5 always different.
Color Temp:Normal
Color Management: Off mostly,when watching foodnetwork it's on.Now usually -on
C.A.T.S: OFF
Video NR: On
3D Y/C Filter: Greyed out
Color Matrix: Greyed Out
Block NR: On
Mosquito NR: On
Black Level: DARK!!
3:2 Pulldown: On
HD Size: 1. 95%

So far iv tried chrisO' settings and seems the whites are a little washed out but blacks and reds are pioneerish with a slight fog,disclamer-on my set.
but i could live with this setting after getting used to it..still lacks my blacks though.NEXT!..this is fun.
After watching the foodnetwork i changed back and the veggies and pots ,pans look "realistic" "live"with my settings.
Jan,25th.Changed my Tint..-1..for HD.SD cable.Now 6500k is the exact temperature
when checked with a Digital Hi end SLR.
post #4 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Here are my original settings after the first 100 hours. They have since changed and I can update them this evening when I get a chance.

Custom:
Picture +14
Brightness +5
Color -3
Tint -1
Sharpness -10
Color Temp Normal
Color mgmt off

Standard:
Picture +19
Brightness +14
Color 0
Tint +3
Sharpness -21
Color Temp Cool
Color mgmt Off

Cinema
Picutre +16
Brightness +17
Color -1
Tint +2
Sharpness -20
Color Temp Normal
Color mgmt Off

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Current Settings based on watching:

Custom:
Picture: +15
Brightness: +6
Color: -3
Tint: -1
Sharpness: -14

Standard:
Picture: 16
Brightness: +8
Color: 0
Tint: +3
Sharpness -5

These are the 2 modes I watch most.
I'm ready to re-run DVE to see how my Ideal Lume Bias light might change things up a bit. I'll update with those when I get around to doing it.
post #5 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Environment Type: Brightly lit living room, large bank of windows to the right.
Sources: DirecTV HR20-700, PS3, Toshiba A35 and computer, all HDMI in to Sony 5300 ES, HDMI out to TV
Calibration Method: Mr. Bob (professional calibrationist) and THX Optimizer from SW: EPIII SD DVD
Picture: +17
Tint: -4
Color Temp: Normal
Color Mgmt: Off
HD Size: Size 2

I must say, this thread is better than the other settings thread where no one posted any settings. I'd suggest that when we list our equipment we also list how they're connected.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #6 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks Mav...Great Thread...it's reassuring that I'm not the only member of The Ultimate PZ700U Calibration Nation seeking The Settings Holy Grail...I am travelling out of town so I can't recall my exact latest and greatest settings but they are a combination of CNET's, chris0's and my eyeballs.

A few comments...

My TH-50PZ700U embarrasses most every other TV my eyes happen upon...we are all desiring absolute beauty to be astonishingly gorgeous...a tough task, no?

The pundits/pros recommend the Color Temp: Warm...my eyes and apparently 4 outta 5 of yours prefer the Color Temp: Normal...Warm seems to diminish (yellow out) white levels too much.

In the end, despite scientific reference points and ISF equipment, there seems to remain a distinct level of subjectivity to what are optimum picture settings.

Thanks for sharing your settings...the dialogue amongst this forum members is refreshingly open and forthright...so, HDTVmeeh, Black Level must be Light!!!...honestly, I find that the Dark setting creates too much loss of detail and black crush.

I will post my settings upon my return home...but up until now, they are a moving target...reality is that this plasma HDTV is so impressive that the smallest setting change (as well as the source!) affects PQ.

Note: If I were sensible, I would set it and forget it...my eyes would adjust and the stars would align...but I've never been known to be sensible...Carry On!
post #7 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Environment Type: Pitch black bedroom
Sources: PS3 (blue-ray movies), Xbox 360, Wii
Calibration Method: My own two eyes
Picture: +25
Brightness: +4
Color: -4

I use many different settings. But these are the settings I use for Blue-Ray movies.
post #8 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Nice idea to start this thread. Here are my latest settings.

50PZ700U used for Blu Ray, SD-DVD, and Cable network programming. Avia-I DVD. HDMI input for all sources (S3 Tivo) and Blu ray. Settings were made while Color Matrix was in HD mode.

I've learned Cinema has a different gamma on it that's different from Vivid or Standard (Standard=Custom). I find Cinema mode is really the best looking - it can look dim at first, but the images look much better for color/white/blacks, especially in a dimmer ambient light situation. I use it almost always now. I'll include recommendations for both types of lighting below.

-----------------------
Dark ambient lighting - subdued/interior lighting, around and after dusk with outside windows.
CINEMA mode - important to be in this mode for the higher gamma settings
Pic +30
Bright +26 to +18 (adjust to preference/lighting)
Color -2
Tint -2
Sharp -30 (does not matter anyway)
Warm
Blacks: Light
Matrix: HD for HD signal, SD for SD signal (changes automatically)
CATS off
Everything else off.

----------------------------
Use these below only if you have a large amount of daylight in the viewing room:

Strong ambient lighting (daytime with outside windows)
STANDARD (or CUSTOM) - important to be in these modes for lower gamma setting
Pic +20
Bright +18
Color -1
Tint -3
Sharp -30
Warm
Blacks: Light
Cats OFF. Can turn CATS ON to improve contrast, but remember to shut off or move to Cinema mode when the room is darker, or it makes the image really gloomy.
Everything else off

-Crackers
post #9 of 280 Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 PM

I like some settings for SD tv coming direct in from coax or S-video...

Even with HDMI and via DVD, I find the brightness down at like -8 or so is much better. Kills the nice bright scene, but you can see that black is not black "clearly" by flipping the channel and seeing the black is a fuzzier blackish grey. Also, white text when flipping the channel is a muted white/off-white. Only way I can see the white as white and black as black is with brightness down.

Other settings are all turned off except I use "light" instead of "dark". Dark can be awesome, but it can also take away from the information in the scene (background information in darker scenes).

Color down like -12...way too much color on this set's 0 setting.

Normal or Cool depending.

Sharpness up or down doesn't do too much but does do a decent job on SD with sharpening the image some and also making it brighter...
post #10 of 280 Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM

So your setting your blacks by flipping your channels and whatever looks blacker between flips is ahhhhhhhhh and white text?doesn't sound right to me unless you like watching in between channels..put on a cooking show in HD and set your tv,,you know what vegetables,fruits look like?Pots -pans? stoves?
post #11 of 280 Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM

It's hard to sift through the Owners thread to pull out the meaningful info specific to calibration - so let's try to capture them in a single thread. This thread is targeted to USER calibration, but experiences with ISF calibration that produced even better results via service menu adjustments would also add value here.

I'll share my calibration experience, with some questions for the forum. By discussing user adjustment controls in the context of standardized source material with recommended instructions for calibrating levels, we should be able to get good value out of comparing our experiences here.

Calibrating the TH58PZ700U - installed 12/31/08, calibrated 1/15/08
I used the Digital Video Essentials DVD and performed all of the recommended USER adjustments using the test material provided on the disc. I used the 4:3 aspect ratio of the display for all adjustments, but periodically compared to FULL aspect ratio as I went along to see the difference. My room was set to a very low ambient light level and I was performing the adjustments while seated approximately 10 feet from the display. My source player for the DVD is a PS3 40 GB model, very latest serial number. Hookup to the display is via a 12-ft HDMI cable.

TV menu options are configured as follows:
Display mode: Standard
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR Off
3D Y/C Filter Off
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Black Level Light
3:2 pulldown Off
HD size Size 2

PS3 menu video options are configured as follows:
HDMI output/1080p/16x9
Cinema conversion: Auto
DVD upscaler: Normal
RGB Full Range: Full
Super-white: On

Brightness and Picture Level
I adjusted the brightness and picture level first. I adjusted brightness level starting with the picture level set to +15. I raised the brightness until the darkest (below-black) pluge was clearly visible on the grayscale test pattern. Then I backed down the brightness until the black was only barely distinguishable from the background level of the picture. I then adjusted the picture level until the top white box of the test pattern was very bright, however without any indication of blooming, color shift or loss of edge definition. I rechecked brightness level as described, adjusting downward slightly to compensate for the changed value of picture level. I found that going back to FULL from 4:3 aspect ratio darkened the overall level very slightly, so I raised the brightness just one more notch, which was an acceptable compromise.

My resulting values are:
Picture +22
Brightness +24

Color and Tint Level
I adjusted the color level first, using the blue filter provided with the DVD. I followed the instructions of the DVD to adjust the colors of the color bar pattern until they looked uniformly blue to me. I then performed the tint adjustment, using all three of the color filters. I followed the instructions of the DVD, and rechecked the color setting to make sure it still looked accurate. I found that this adjustment was one place where I need to make a slight compromise, it did not seem possible to have all color filters achieve uniform color level at the same time, though they were very close.

I settled on the following values:
Color -2
Tint +3

Sharpness Level
* see question 1) below

Summary
Overall, the results to my eyes using the calibration process are significantly improved over the eyeball values I set when the TV was first installed. I found myself raising the overall brightness level slightly, which pulled out some of the crushed blacks, and the changes to the color and tint settings improved skin tone and made the color more uniform overall. Grass is a rich natural green and the sky test material on the DVE DVD is very realistic - blue but not too blue for blue sky, and a very natural bright gray for the overcast or washed out sky images. I was nervous about raising the brightness levels so high, but will just have to be careful to make sure I avoid burn-in images when using the display. Shadows now retain detail and there is a very naturally realistic contrast between super bright and very dark picture content.

My questions
1) Is it my imagination, or does the Sharpness control make absolutely no difference on this DVD using an HDMI hookup? The DVD seems to imply that it shouldn't, but I'm just curious if this is really so?
2) Though the completed calibration results in staggering picture quality with no artifacts or anomalies using the reference video material at the end of the DVD, I did notice a slight ghosting of text and images on the static screens during the DVD's instructions. Anybody else notice this? Is this normal?
post #12 of 280 Old 01-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVmeeh View Post

So your setting your blacks by flipping your channels and whatever looks blacker between flips is ahhhhhhhhh and white text?doesn't sound right to me unless you like watching in between channels..put on a cooking show in HD and set your tv,,you know what vegetables,fruits look like?Pots -pans? stoves?

If you have dish network, the screen that shows the next channel should be black with white text. I have seen this on "every" set I have owned be it LCD/Plasma/Tubed/DLP/etc...Not saying this is the benchmark way to do it, but it definitely helps...your black screen should not look light black/grey and your white text should not look dim/greyish...
post #13 of 280 Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I asked a mod to incorporate the other thread into this one. We only need one PZ700/750 settings thread.

post #14 of 280 Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

I asked a mod to incorporate the other thread into this one. We only need one PZ700/750 settings thread.

Thanks Chris. I've deleted my post "crossing" the two.

--Mav
post #15 of 280 Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Great input...are we certain that Custom Mode and Standard Mode are identical in calibration settings and their effects?

Last night, I tried all of the above settings while viewing assorted HD TV content on my TH-50PZ700U.

Amongst them all, thus far, I prefer chrisO's Custom Setting and Crackers Cinema Setting (must be @ night in dark enviroment) but w/ Pic @ +27, Br @ +18. However, in my particular viewing enviroment, CNET's settings seems closest to offering the best "happy medium" for various content.

CNET's Settings [ w/ my slight tweaks in ( ) ]
-- Picture menu
Normal: No
Picture mode: Custom ( Standard Mode - w/ chrisO's in Custom for comparison's sake) - thus my question above?
Picture: +22 (I may prefer +24)
Brightness: +9
Color: -2
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -30 (although, I prefer Sharpness @ +7 for TV)
Color temp.: Warm (I am starting to "see the light" re. why Warm vs. Normal)
Color mgmt.: Off
Zoom adjust: (grayed out)
PC adjust: (grayed out)

-- Other adjust menu
3D Y/C filter: Off (grayed out)
Color matrix: HD (grayed out)
Block NR: Off (grayed out)
3:2 pull-down: Off (grayed out)
HD size: Size 2

Have you all tried the CNET recommended settings? Do you think that CNET determined these settings by professional calibration or eyeballing?

Thanks for your insights and dialogue re. Calibration.
post #16 of 280 Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Environment Type: West-facing living room with diffused light in the morning and early afternoon, brightly lit for a while in the later afternoon, and at night i watch it in the dark.

Sources: SD and HD content on TWC cable with an SA8300HD and a Tivo Series 3 via a 2x2 Gefen HDMI splitter/switcher. Both DVRs are set to output everything at 1080i (gives the most detailed and crispest picture).

Calibration Method: My eyes and fingers

Pic Mode: Custom
Bright: +20
Color: -6
Tint: +4
Sharp: -6

Color Matrix: (locked in HD)
Black Level: Dark
HD Size: 2

My blacks are not crushed with these settings - i can see pinstripes and buttons etc on people's black suits and excellent detail in dark or black hair.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #17 of 280 Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN1212 View Post

Great input...are we certain that Custom Mode and Standard Mode are identical in calibration settings and their effects?

Yes, except that the Standard settings are global and the Custom settings are input specific.

post #18 of 280 Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
CNF

My settings are almost identical to Maverickster2’s settings. I normally have my black level settings to dark for watching sports and light for movies. Sporting events are always bright with no dark scenes so the detail is not lost. I found the dark setting to be too dark when watching movies. Switching to light picks up a lot of lost detail in those dark movie scenes.
post #19 of 280 Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Environment Type: Light controlled HT room (Dim while calibrating).
Sources: Oppo 970HD DVD Player (480i via HDMI) and Bell ExpressVu 9200 HD-PVR (1080i via HDMI).
Calibration Method: DVE, eyes, Anthem AVM50 pre/pro color charts.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between each of the picture mode settings other than providing you with four settings if you prefer setting it up differently for different sources or program types such as sports, but here are two of mine: (I primarily watch the Standard settings most)

Picture Mode: Standard
Picture: +24
Brightness: +9
Color: +3
Tint: -9
Sharpness: +2 although I'm not sure this one matters

Picture Mode: Cinema
Picture: +18
Sharpness: +2 although I'm not sure this one matters

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #20 of 280 Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM

With the same settings on each option I find there is a diff. between standard and custom. Custom I think has a slightly higher gamma, it looks a little brighter like vivid but not so much.

Try the same settings on both, custom is definitely brighter.
post #21 of 280 Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelfa View Post

With the same settings on each option I find there is a diff. between standard and custom. Custom I think has a slightly higher gamma, it looks a little brighter like vivid but not so much.

Try the same settings on both, custom is definitely brighter.

They look the same to me.

post #22 of 280 Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

They look the same to me.

They looked the same to me as well when i set them up identically. Maybe the factory settings for his particular unit are a little off for one of those two picture modes......

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #23 of 280 Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Environment Type: dark living room .
Sources: directtv hd reciever (via HDMI) and dmp-bd30/ps3(via HDMI).
Calibration Method: eye
Picture: +23
Brightness: +5
Color: -0
post #24 of 280 Old 01-21-2008, 05:50 PM

I just used these settings on my 50" and they look absolutely fantastic. Thanks for posting these here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Environment Type: West-facing living room with diffused light in the morning and early afternoon, brightly lit for a while in the later afternoon, and at night i watch it in the dark.

Sources: SD and HD content on TWC cable with an SA8300HD and a Tivo Series 3 via a 2x2 Gefen HDMI splitter/switcher. Both DVRs are set to output everything at 1080i (gives the most detailed and crispest picture).

Calibration Method: My eyes and fingers

Pic Mode: Custom
Bright: +20
Color: -6
Tint: +4
Sharp: -6

Color Matrix: (locked in HD)
Black Level: Dark
HD Size: 2

My blacks are not crushed with these settings - i can see pinstripes and buttons etc on people's black suits and excellent detail in dark or black hair.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #25 of 280 Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Put up an all white screen or test pattern and then switch to custom from standard...on my set 42pz700u custom is a bit brighter.
post #26 of 280 Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelfa View Post

Put up an all white screen or test pattern and then switch to custom from standard...on my set 42pz700u custom is a bit brighter.

Interesting - when i get some time i'll set up Custom and Standard with the exact same settings and try it on my 42PZ700U and see if i get the same results. Brighter is better

Randy
post #27 of 280 Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Interesting - when i get some time i'll set up Custom and Standard with the exact same settings and try it on my 42PZ700U and see if i get the same results. Brighter is better

Hey Randy,
question ... does your 700u still have the 'floating blacks' that the earlier gen. did? Seems like I read a professional review on this set and they claimed that this model finally had solid blacks, no auto contrast adjustment. But then i've read on some threads here that Panny still uses this on it's latest gen sets. Which way is it? If they in fact still do, wonder if the 800u sets will continue with it. I've got an earlier 50u set and while it's not a big issue, I would prefer NOT to have this feature with Panasonic.
post #28 of 280 Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 AM

ANyone have some initial settings for the 100 hour burn in on a th-42pz700u ?
post #29 of 280 Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Might as well merge this thread with the official thread since it's no longer only about calibration.
post #30 of 280 Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would ask that the Mods not merge it, but also that we please keep this thread on topic. That's kind of the point of having a SEPARATE calibration/settings thread. Please keep discussion of "floating blacks" and "break in" in the owner's or a different thread.

Thanks.

--Mav
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page