Panasonic Bezels.........Why So Thick? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMHO, the thick bezel does nothing for the "attractiveness" of the new (and current) Panny Plasma. That would be the new '08 Viera line of plasmas I am referring to.

I'd like to get a 50 inch (my current model) but my stand is part of an entertainment center with "book" shelves on each side. It appears almost certain that the new '08 Viera 50 inch set will run slightly over 52 inches thus "forcing" me to go with the new 46 inch model (as Seinfeld would say: "not that that's a bad thing). I suspect the fat bezel is due to the fact that it needs to hold a thick and probably heavy glass screen as opposed to an LCD model.

Another question, does the new "thinner" model with "lower (50%?) power consumption and a much better screen to cut glare.........do these things apply to the now 2008 Viera models. Also, how much, if any, reduction in power consumption might there be in the '08 vs. the '07 model. Thanks for your time and attention. Please reply to: kmil123@msn.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

IMHO, the thick bezel does nothing for the "attractiveness" of the new (and current) Panny Plasma. That would be the new '08 Viera line of plasmas I am referring to.

I'd like to get a 50 inch (my current model) but my stand is part of an entertainment center with "book" shelves on each side. It appears almost certain that the new '08 Viera 50 inch set will run slightly over 52 inches thus "forcing" me to go with the new 46 inch model (as Seinfeld would say: "not that that's a bad thing). I suspect the fat bezel is due to the fact that it needs to hold a thick and probably heavy glass screen as opposed to an LCD model.

Another question, does the new "thinner" model with "lower (50%?) power consumption and a much better screen to cut glare.........do these things apply to the now 2008 Viera models. Also, how much, if any, reduction in power consumption might there be in the '08 vs. the '07 model. Thanks for your time and attention. Please reply to: kmil123@msn.com

If you don't need the built in speakers or tuner, get the Panny commercial panel instead. The bezel is very thin and looks great. The width on the 50" panel is only 47.6".
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, tell me details on the Panny commercial set. I need HDMI, tuneability, and a stand. Do you agree that the new 50 inch will most likely be over 50 inches WIDE? Would you also agree that with the thick bezel the new 2008 Viera (46 inch size) will most likely be under 50 inches and more likely around 47 inches? How high do you think the new set might be? Thanks!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

I'd like to get a 50 inch (my current model) but my stand is part of an entertainment center with "book" shelves on each side. It appears almost certain that the new '08 Viera 50 inch set will run slightly over 52 inches thus "forcing" me to go with the new 46 inch model (as Seinfeld would say: "not that that's a bad thing). I suspect the fat bezel is due to the fact that it needs to hold a thick and probably heavy glass screen as opposed to an LCD model.]

I believe the seinfeld quote you are searching for is, "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Seriously though, I have had this discussion a few times. If you are going to buy a new widescreen HDTV don't let your current furniture dictate what you buy, especially since from my experience most people have, how can I put this lightly.....well, they have ugly furniture. Besides, putting these new flat panel displays in an entertainment center does them a great injustice,imo... Get a nice piece of furniture to act as a tv stand or hang it on the wall. If you are going to spend $2-$3k on a new tv, whats a few hundred more for a new piece of furniture or a wall mount?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

I'd rather have a thick bezel since any flat panel would be a secondary display. It gives a better framing and help exclude the surrounding decor when watching. If I were to use a flat panel in my home theater room I'd probably prefer a thin bezel. another good thing about thick bezels is that it keeps children's hands further from where the action is.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 AM

The 50" commercial plasma is under 50" wide... it's about 47" IIRC. It does not come with a stand, but you can purchase that separately. You can tune/calibrate it. It does not come with a built in OTA tuner.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page