So I fronted out Sams Club about their extended warranty.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After visiting my local Sam's Club today (where I purchased my Vizio Plasma) I asked the service desk about their 100% satisfaction guarantee sign. Simply enough, I asked if Sam's Club offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee for the lifetime of my ownership of a product, why did I pay $200 for an extended warranty? I can just return the TV when or if it breaks (making me unsatisfied with the product). The answer I was given - they would refund the $200 price for the extended warranty if I felt it was unnecessary. The benefit of it the warranty was in home service or something along those lines.

Looks like I will be getting the $200 back.

-Jeff

-=See It Here=-
http://www.JConti.Net
"Now I'm washing lettuce. Soon I'll be on fries; then the grill. And pretty soon, I'll make assistant manager, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not familiar with the phrase "fronted out".
post #3 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, let me rephrase that then. It is a phrase from my juvenile years... I guess you could say, I approached them somewhat arrogantly

Now that you made me actually look into the phrase, it really sounds stupid. I think that will be the last time I use it.

-=See It Here=-
"Now I'm washing lettuce. Soon I'll be on fries; then the grill. And pretty soon, I'll make assistant manager, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in."
post #4 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM

did they elaborate on the "100% satisfaction gaurantee" or just offered to refund you the extended warranty price?
post #5 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure I understand. You got an extended warranty and got a refund because you can't return the TV say 6 years from now? If you find one that works like that could you let me know.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Yeah, that "guaranteed forever" concept sounds like the one that Costco had to abandon on their stuff due to people "renting" TVs for a while, then upgrading them for free. Personally, I think it made good business sense to close that window, but I did buy quite a few things from Costco (not $1800 TVs, mind you) knowing that I had such a generous safety net. Never had to return anything either.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I am not saying I plan on taking advantage of the policy. I was just wondering why I bought a $200 warranty when, per their policy, for the lifetime I own the product I am eligible to return it for a full refund if I am not satisfied (warranted or not). I can guarantee you I would not be satisfied with an inoperable TV.

-=See It Here=-
post #8 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroonzo View Post

I am not saying I plan on taking advantage of the policy. I was just wondering why I bought a $200 warranty when, per their policy, for the lifetime I own the product I am eligible to return it for a full refund if I am not satisfied (warranted or not). I can guarantee you I would not be satisfied with an inoperable TV.

The return policy has been changed to 90 days return on plasmas to counteract all the abusers. Good policy change
post #9 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

It is a good policy, but I think it was in place prior to the club selling these "big box" electronics. The only exception they've made to it as of yet is for computers (which carry a 6 month return policy). I foresee a new exception being made on TVs and other items that could be taken advantage of. But my point is, presently the policy does not exclude TVs. Therefore, presently buying an extended warranty is goofy when, if it were to break, I can simply return the TV 1,2,4,8, or even 10 years from now (lifetime).

It isn’t a practical business model. That's why I foresee more exceptions to that policy being made.

-Jeff

-=See It Here=-
post #10 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:46 PM

I'm certainly not calling your bluff or anything like that, I just didn't think Sam's had such a liberal return policy. I'll have to go up there and check it out for myself, because if that's the case, they're going on my short list of places to buy.
post #11 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

The return policy has been changed to 90 days return on plasmas to counteract all the abusers. Good policy change

LINK?
post #12 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, well that is smart and I don't blame them. But that isn't what they told me when I was there. But you know how that is. Ask three people, get three different answers.

-Jeff

-=See It Here=-
post #13 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I think you are confusing the definition of "extended warranty" vs lifetime gte. I dont know of many items these days that have a "lifetime gte"
post #14 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM

Asking someone at my Sam's a question is like pulling the lever on a slot machine.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohlman View Post

LINK?

Sausage. Is this a word association game?
post #16 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I JUST got off of the phone with my Sam's Club. This is what the management told me:

The warranty for TVs is if you want to be able to have your TV serviced. TVs DO carry the 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee and I am eligible to return it at ANYTIME for a 100% refund. So who knows.......

-Jeff

-=See It Here=-
post #17 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Sausage. Is this a word association game?

Ok for you simple people. Please provide proof or shut up.
post #18 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I think you are confusing the definition of "extended warranty" vs lifetime gte. I dont know of many items these days that have a "lifetime gte"

That's how I read it. Extended warranties cost mony (in this case $200) I don't know of anyone charging for a return policy but I might just not understand
post #19 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok, I JUST got off of the phone with my Sam's Club. This is what the management told me:

The warranty for TVs is if you want to be able to have your TV serviced. TVs DO carry the 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee and I am eligible to return it at ANYTIME for a 100% refund. So who knows.......

-Jeff

You might want to get that in writing.
post #20 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 View Post

That's how I read it. Extended warranties cost money (in this case $200) I don't know of anyone charging for a return policy but I might just not understand

I am not saying anything along the line of Sams Charging for their return policy. According to their logic, their return policy is a Member Benefit that you're paying for with your annual renewals.

What I am questioning is, why purchase a $200 warranty (to protect yourself when the product might break (having it serviced) when you can just return if it EVER breaks. I'd rather just return the broken TV and trade it in on newer, better, and unbroken technology.

-Jeff

-=See It Here=-
post #21 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Yes, but a lifetime guarantee on a TV would certainly cause me to skip the extended warranty. Unless I really wanted to keep my existing set. In fact, it might be better since you could potentially end up with a better (albeit different) set.
post #22 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post

You might want to get that in writing.

I know what you mean. A year from now (the usual lifespan of a Vizio ) and they'll be asking me where I heard such BS.

-=See It Here=-
post #23 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not saying anything along the line of Sams Charging for their return policy. According to their logic, their return policy is a Member Benefit that you're paying for with your annual renewals.

What I am questioning is, why purchase a $200 warranty (to protect yourself when the product might break (having it serviced) when you can just return if it EVER breaks. I'd rather just return the broken TV and trade it in on newer, better, and unbroken technology.

-Jeff

I understand now the $200 was for a warrenty but your membership covers it any way. thanks I am a little slow sometimes
post #24 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here is the current Sams Club return policy as per their site info 1/18/08:

____________________________________________________________ _____

Sam's Club Return / Refund Policy

At Sam's Club, Member Satisfaction is 100% guaranteed both on merchandise and Memberships. Our policy is to refund our Member's purchases in full with a receipt and without a receipt we will refund in full with a Sam's Club Shopping Card.

The following exceptions apply:
Computers, which can be returned within 6 months of the original purchase date, except Dell computers which can be returned within 30 days of the invoice (ship) date.
All Dell products can be returned within 30 days of the invoice (ship) date.
Theme park tickets, which are non-refundable.
Shopping Cards, which can not be redeemed for cash.
Refunds on fresh product (i.e. Meat, Bakery or Produce) will follow the Sam's Club 200% Guarantee: Double the Member's money back OR refund of the original purchase price and replacement of the item. The 200% Guarantee applies only to paid Members with Sam's Club. It does not apply to One-Day or other pass guests. Non-Members may return fresh product for the purchase price only.
Cigarette returns will not be accepted without prior written approval from the tobacco supplier representative.
This policy does not change the manufacturer's warranty on any item returned as defective, such as tires or batteries.
Refunds on refrigerant (R-134A) will be accepted no more than 7 days from the date of purchase and then only with a receipt
____________________________________________________________ _____

There are NO restrictions on televisions, time frame or otherwise.

habe
post #25 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The return policy above is why I bought my Xbox 360 at Sams. First time I get the dreaded red ring o' death, its going back.

habe
post #26 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohlman View Post

LINK?

http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...uctNo=11204333

Dave Bugg
post #27 of 29 Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Actually, only 90 days for televisions at Costco

http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...rge%20Services
post #28 of 29 Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Chadci is correct. You will get 90 days to return the television. After that you will have their 2 year concierge service plan. After the 2 years I have no idea if the television can be returned. Sam's and Costco in the past were notorious for TV Rentals.

Chris
post #29 of 29 Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Greetings

all such talk should go in the sticky please

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=813384
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List