Is power line conditioner really necessory for plasma HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 265 Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already got a couple of UPS's and surge protectors. Do I really need a power line conditioner for my new 1080P plasma TV?

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 265 Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
no.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 265 Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nope.
post #4 of 265 Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I use one.

- Chip
post #5 of 265 Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

So a UPS or regular surge protector is sufficient?
post #6 of 265 Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

no.
if you really want to protect your a/v equipment use a whole house surge protector and then a unit at the outlet that uses Series mode surge protection like models from ZeroSurge or BrickWall.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #7 of 265 Old 01-20-2008, 06:04 AM

kill 2 birds with one stone. ive got the adcom ace-615. line conditioner and surge protection.

then again, ive seen spikes come into my house that have rebooted my PC behind a cheapass APC ups paperweight/surge protector, and have fried a router on a regular surge protector.

piece of mind is worth it for me..
post #8 of 265 Old 01-20-2008, 07:34 AM

I contacted my local utility co, TECO, and they install what they call a "zap-cap"...apparently it is a piece that goes into the meter and protects the whole house from surges and spikes, but it is designed to protect appliances (fridges, dryers, ranges) that accept 220VAC, and not designed to stop spikes over 120VAC, and therefore not appropriate for A/V gear. Is this "zap-cap" considered whole-house protection?

The price is $45 to install, then $6 a month after that, which is reasonable, I guess, but warranted?
post #9 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Matter of opinion (obviously). I just got an APC J15. $650 list but can be purchased for <$400 delivered to your door. Mine was about $375.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #10 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, absolutely. It is just as neccessary as $150 Monster cables and a 4 year extended warranty for $500. Oh...and the $25 Monster plasma cleaning kit as well.

edit- in case my sarcasm was missed here is my real answer: if your house wiring is bad enough to actually require "line conditioning" then you might want to consider a whole house rewire before using any expensive electronics.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #11 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

Yes, absolutely. It is just as neccessary as $150 Monster cables and a 4 year extended warranty for $500. Oh...and the $25 Monster plasma cleaning kit as well.

edit- in case my sarcasm was missed here is my real answer: if your house wiring is bad enough to actually require "line conditioning" then you might want to consider a whole house rewire before using any expensive electronics.

joe, you summed that up so nicely
post #12 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 03:21 PM

I live in a historical Coop neighborhood that can loose power often. Most of the time power goes off for about 10 seconds at a time. I had all my equipment on powerful surge protectors, but my old plasma ended up in shop 3 times, and I began to wonder if the electricity was the cause. I just brought a new 110-FD Pioneer plasma and I did not want to take any chances. I brought a combination UPS/Power Conditioner specifically designed for Home Theaters for less then $200. Paying the price was an easy decision, and it has already proven itself when power was lost last week and the Plasma didn’t even blink.
post #13 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM

just get a good surge protector <$25 that protects your AC power and coax. Some guarantee against damage/loss.
post #14 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:

this isnt always the case. ever had lightning storms zap anything? how about a freak occurrence of a power surge through a coax cable?

consumer appliances arent as susceptible to damage, so whole house protection may not be necessary.

PS-what if your warranty only costs 250? worth it then?
post #15 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM

Liked: 12
The OP asked about line conditioners-not surge protectors.

I would respectfully suggest checking out this website and the Power Enhancer.

http://alanmaherdesigns.com/default.aspx

I have been in high end audio for years-this is the only power line conditioner product that I use. Many feel it has a prfound impact on video also.
post #16 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyamd View Post

I already got a couple of UPS's and surge protectors. Do I really need a power line conditioner for my new 1080P plasma TV?

Thanks much!

I'm glad I found this thread! I was just at Magnolia Audio/Video in Santa Monica and while talking to a sales rep he mentioned these to me. When he pointed them out, I saw them and thought that they were another brand of A/V receivers (Panamax). He said they're a combo line conditioner and surge protector. That for a whole HTS, they were recommended to separate power bands for your big items (plasma, a/v receiver, satellite). Price was around $400.

So with that said, after reading this thread, this is only necesary IF the wiring is bad in my apt building (which I assume it isn't). So like another poster mentioned with sarcasm , is it truly unnecessary (i.e. like TV warranties and Monster Cables)?
post #17 of 265 Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I would say yes for those who have expensive equipment. For one thing, it regulates the voltage for unnecessary noise and spikes within your power line. Also it gives you protection on your equipment. Other than that, don't spend no more than $100 and you should be good...

This is all you need!

Chris
LL
post #18 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
No. Absolutely Not. Save your money.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #19 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

No. Absolutely Not. Save your money.

Even if its under $100, like the one above. Wow. Pretty inexpensive to try and save your equipment.

Chris
post #20 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Curious: How much does an avg sized house (3k sq ft) cost to protect against surge protection?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #21 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

Even if its under $100, like the one above. Wow. Pretty inexpensive to try and save your equipment.

Chris

Just curious, how many electronic components have you had destroyed by lightning/power surges? I live in Texas with frequent violent thunderstorms and I've never had anything go bad due to that. I'm not saying that the device you posted would be a bad idea (and it may indeed save you some day) but most high-end modern electronics aren't nearly as sensitive to power issues as even those from 20 years ago. Some electronics makers actually advise against plugging into a UPS or surge protector...(I use one anyway though)

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #22 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM

We had a power surge and everything was hooked up to a surge protector except for one tv didn't have the coax line protected and it when though the comcast box and fried the hdmi ports. When I checked the one hooked up to a monster clean power, no hiccups. Yes Monster is overpriced, and maybe unneeded it has given me piece of mind.
post #23 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just curious, how many electronic components have you had destroyed by lightning/power surges? I live in Texas with frequent violent thunderstorms and I've never had anything go bad due to that. I'm not saying that the device you posted would be a bad idea (and it may indeed save you some day) but most high-end modern electronics aren't nearly as sensitive to power issues as even those from 20 years ago. Some electronics makers actually advise against plugging into a UPS or surge protector...(I use one anyway though)

I am glad that you do. My reason that it makes sense is that most manufacturer's will not cover power outages unless you have some type of surge protection. Also you will have some type of guarantee on your equipment. Although they claim under $1,000,000 in liability, but I don't know how accurate that is and how many hoops that you would have to jump in order to settle a claim, but its much better than having no type of protection or guarantee in liability

Chris
post #24 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

I'll be moving to the jungle and as such we will have a diesel generator (for backup). I have no idea how the local electric is there, but rest assured I'll be getting all sorts of voltage regulator/powerconditioner equipment.

However for my house in Colorado, I've never had a problem or heard of a problem with electrical surges frying anything me or any of my friends family have plugged in.

Is it common?
post #25 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood222 View Post

I'll be moving to the jungle and as such we will have a diesel generator (for backup). I have no idea how the local electric is there, but rest assured I'll be getting all sorts of voltage regulator/powerconditioner equipment.

However for my house in Colorado, I've never had a problem or heard of a problem with electrical surges frying anything me or any of my friends family have plugged in.

Is it common?

Unless you live in an old house with old wiring...you most likely have surge protection built in that covers every outlet. I use a surge protector for increasing the number of outlets available...but the protection it (supposedly) provides is secondary to me. Basically my little sarcastic rant in my first post was more for BB/CC etc..salespeople trying to upsell when someone buys a tv....and it was for a "power line conditioner" which isn't the same as a surge protector.

post #26 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my house gets 130volts (it's new construction) any reason why I should have one? I always laughed at the CC employees pushing these, so I would feel like a real hypocrite if I did buy one.
post #27 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I've never had anything fried by lightning itself. However, at the start of one outage a bout 5 years ago, I had a Tivo hard disk fried. It wasn't that we had an outage. it was how the outage occurred. After a couple of quick ons and offs, the outage finally kicked in. During that in-out cycle is when the disk fried. Fortunately, nothing else was damaged. Since that date however, I've always had a UPS with at least AVR capabilities attached to my TV's and DVRs. Once I did that, I began to notice a lot of electrical 'events' that caused the UPS/AVR to beep and act as protection for my equipment. it's not unusual to have 1-3 beep events a week. Just for reference, my house is not ancient (built in 1986) and all of my utilities are underground.

About two years ago, I purchased a Sony SXRD 60" RPTV. Since it has a bulb that can be affected by loss of power (no cooling w/o power), I now have another reason to use a UPS. It's my understanding that a single loss of power/cooling can drastically reduce bulb brightness and effective life.

So, how much I need to spend on a UPS/AVR is certainly debatable. But in my mind, I do need one.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #28 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM

I have an uncle here in TX whose HDTV was damaged during a lightning storm. He lives in a relatively new house, but had his TV plugged directly into the wall with no surge protection. It fried the power supply, and was repaired for not much money.

So yes... I think having a surge protector is necessary. I'm really on the fence about a line conditioner though. I have never seen any concrete examples that show it's use improves picture/sound quality.

David
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop!
post #29 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidag02 View Post

I have an uncle here in TX whose HDTV was damaged during a lightning storm. He lives in a relatively new house, but had his TV plugged directly into the wall with no surge protection. It fried the power supply, and was repaired for not much money.

So yes... I think having a surge protector is necessary. I'm really on the fence about a line conditioner though. I have never seen any concrete examples that show it's use improves picture/sound quality.

Wow sorry to hear about that. It doesn't improve picture or sound quality, but regulates/stabilize your voltage in case of any spikes or irregular noise that could occur.

Chris
post #30 of 265 Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

my house gets 130volts (it's new construction) any reason why I should have one? I always laughed at the CC employees pushing these, so I would feel like a real hypocrite if I did buy one.

new construction doesnt create more voltage. higher voltage is typically related to proximity to the substation.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page