Samsung 2008 plasma? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
HT-Naimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am a bit confused.
i read numerous adds for the A550 Samsung and the european version, the A557, and sometimes they state that you can add the 3D glasses and sometimes they do not.
on the european models I only saw the 3D glasses feature mentioned with the smaller A457 models.

anybody know more about this?

and i also read that the usb input will only display still images and play MP3s. is there a way around this?
i mean, who listens to MP3s on his plasma? why not add DivX support or something like that? or will it be possible to tweak the firmware to support this?


Quote:
Whats the deal with 1080p/24fps, yes or no?? I'm guessing no if it is not anywhere on there spec sheets

the european models are said to be 1080/24p. so i would be surprised if the us model was not as you usually get added features. and aren't all 1080p plasmas capable of 24p by now?
HT-Naimee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Newbie
 
boatload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

it looks like that 58" is going to be a great bang for the buck.
the new Pioneer 60" will most likely cost double.

PN58A550 ordered and shipping today from the "Big River". ETA is 4/2 but I would not be surprised if it arrives earlier. Will report back when it is set up and working.
boatload is offline  
post #93 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 585
The New PN58A550 is cheaper than the FP-T5884

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #94 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The New PN58A550 is cheaper than the FP-T5884

Isn't that a good thing?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #95 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just pulled the trigger on a A550. My father in law owns a Samsung 50" 720(2gens ago) that I like, and I just could not bring myself to pony $450 more(after tax) for the Panny.

Ordered from bestbuy(2yrs no interest deal), TENTATIVE delivery of 4-1.
ElwayLite is offline  
post #96 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a A550. My father in law owns a Samsung 50" 720(2gens ago) that I like, and I just could not bring myself to pony $450 more(after tax) for the Panny.

Ordered from bestbuy(2yrs no interest deal), TENTATIVE delivery of 4-1.

I look forward to your results since I think you'll be the first with one. Guess you'll be starting the Owner's Thread.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

bpmurr is offline  
post #97 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 01:40 PM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

I look forward to your results since I think you'll be the first with one. Guess you'll be starting the Owner's Thread.


Also have the DVE Bluray on preorder
ElwayLite is offline  
post #98 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being I have never started an owners thread here, any suggestions or anyone wanna start it up? I think its about time
ElwayLite is offline  
post #99 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
fireballz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just name it something like "OFFICIAL Samsung PNxxA550 Owner's Thread" ... then in the first post maybe link to Samsung's product pages for the sets and write some gibberish
fireballz is offline  
post #100 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kagolu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

i am a bit confused.
i read numerous adds for the A550 Samsung and the european version, the A557, and sometimes they state that you can add the 3D glasses and sometimes they do not.
on the european models I only saw the 3D glasses feature mentioned with the smaller A457 models.

anybody know more about this?

and i also read that the usb input will only display still images and play MP3s. is there a way around this?
i mean, who listens to MP3s on his plasma? why not add DivX support or something like that? or will it be possible to tweak the firmware to support this?



the european models are said to be 1080/24p. so i would be surprised if the us model was not as you usually get added features. and aren't all 1080p plasmas capable of 24p by now?

Unless I misread the manual it doesn't support 1080/24p and no not all plasmas accept it, only the higher end models I guess typically do.

Kagolu
kagolu is offline  
post #101 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Member
 
Tideas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a A550. My father in law owns a Samsung 50" 720(2gens ago) that I like, and I just could not bring myself to pony $450 more(after tax) for the Panny.

Ordered from bestbuy(2yrs no interest deal), TENTATIVE delivery of 4-1.

can you pm me how you pay for it at BB (including tax) and stuff?

Thanks
Tideas is offline  
post #102 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideas View Post

can you pm me how you pay for it at BB (including tax) and stuff?

Thanks

Done.
ElwayLite is offline  
post #103 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
madkaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mooresville NC
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

Unless I misread the manual it doesn't support 1080/24p and no not all plasmas accept it, only the higher end models I guess typically do.

It will accept it but apply 3:2 pulldown to make it 60 hz. The Pioneer plasmas are the only ones that I know of that will display a true 24f.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
madkaw is offline  
post #104 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,949
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

It will accept it but apply 3:2 pulldown to make it 60 hz. The Pioneer plasmas are the only ones that I know of that will display a true 24f.

Pioneer is capable of showing 24fps @ 72Hz. The Panasonic 800/850 series will show it @ 48Hz. Panasonic commercial models (10UKs) can show it @ 48Hz and 96Hz.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D-Nice is offline  
post #105 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So has anyone compared the 84 series to the 550s and compared the black levels and brightness on these?
xb1032 is offline  
post #106 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

So has anyone compared the 84 series to the 550s and compared the black levels and brightness on these?

Id have to wonder if they are even on display yet.
ElwayLite is offline  
post #107 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Newbie
 
dynamicentry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at best buy OK City (I35&240) today and they said they had the new mods (50") in back and were puting them out on display tonight. He was going to drag a box out onsite and I said Id wait to see it "Powered and on the Wall". I like the lower msrp over the 50/58 84 series however they cut a year out of the warr. I guess thats one way to cut costs. I am very interested in the BUZZ factor on these new units. Since this is my first post I have to sak, what is the Big River store? Can someone list a website? Thanks Chad In Oklahoma
dynamicentry is offline  
post #108 of 263 Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 PM
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicentry View Post

Since this is my first post I have to sak, what is the Big River store? Can someone list a website?

You can figure it out, i promise. Think long and hard.
NathanC is offline  
post #109 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
HT-Naimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The new A550 is not the replacement for the 5884 nor the 5084. It's the replacement for the 5064! Hence the lower MSRP and the early release.
I think the top-line will be released later on. Series 7 or something like that.
HT-Naimee is offline  
post #110 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Member
 
marcdolce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the info on the Series 7, available in April.
http://www.hdtvlounge.net/samsung/series-7/

I'm definitely going to wait for the PN58A750T. Does anyone else have any other info???
marcdolce is offline  
post #111 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Member
 
vertcobra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder why it says the 7 series will have a lower contrast ratio 15,000:1 then the A550
vertcobra99 is offline  
post #112 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
enkidu77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post

I wonder why it says the 7 series will have a lower contrast ratio 15,000:1 then the A550


Because the A550 also had a listed ratio of 15k to 1 until Samsung changed it to match Panasonics listed contrast ratio on their higher end sets. I think it shows how meaningless these numbers have become.
enkidu77 is offline  
post #113 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
HT-Naimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
a) mistake
b) they increase the CR to match Panasonic (just like Pana sets theirs high)
c) the better anti reflection screen lowers the CR as seen between the 5054 v. 5064 models

but in the end all the CRs are just marketing and not worth anything anyway, so WHO CARES?
HT-Naimee is offline  
post #114 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 585
OK, we just got a PN58A500 in first (quick) impressions. <<>>

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #115 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

OK, we just got a PN58A500 in first (quick) impressions. <<>>

I also saw some of them along with the Panasonic 85u at a Ken Kranes today.
1,000,000:1 contrast number my hairy ass.
Black levels on that set, just like the 85u, were NOWHERE near the Pioneer Kuro for starters.

The PN-58A550 on display were next to a 46" Samsung 71 LCD series & honestly that LCD had better deeper looking blacks & brighter whites. The lighting in Ken Kranes weren't as bright as Circuit City or Best Buy showrooms, it was more of a Magnolia type lighting & other matted LCD's had a hazy look to them, so the lighting was not a factor for the meh-ish blacks.

Both the A550 & the Panny 85u did have brighter screens though & almost looked LCD in terms of whites.

One thing for sure is the native & dynamic contrast are insanely wrong on both sets. At least with the Samsung LED LCD's insanely high 100,000:1 contrast numbers had some truth to them as they could get a perfect pitch blacks from the set.
These new plasma set on the other hand look like a modest step up from their previous models & nothing more.
wtfer is offline  
post #116 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I also saw some of them along with the Panasonic 85u at a Ken Kranes today.
1,000,000:1 contrast number my hairy ass.
Black levels on that set, just like the 85u, were NOWHERE near the Pioneer Kuro for starters.

Did you mess with the sets? If the plasmas were in torch mode then the awful blacks aren't much of a surprise.
NathanC is offline  
post #117 of 263 Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

Did you mess with the sets? If the plasmas were in torch mode then the awful blacks aren't much of a surprise.

I set both to movie modes.
I didn't touch any of the others settings, but there was a Pioneer across the Panny & you could definitely tell there was a noticeable gap in the black levels between the two.
Yet the Pioneer looked almost twice as dim as either the 85u & A550 & seemed to have more noise as well.
wtfer is offline  
post #118 of 263 Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I set both to movie modes.
I didn't touch any of the others settings, but there was a Pioneer across the Panny & you could definitely tell there was a noticeable gap in the black levels between the two.
Yet the Pioneer looked almost twice as dim as either the 85u & A550 & seemed to have more noise as well.

Just curious which size of Kuro you were looking at? Also, how much darker were the Kuro blacks over the 71 series Sammys (I think I may have asked this question before but not sure if I got a response).

I saw the Panny 80U next to last years Sammy plasmas and there wasn't much of a difference in black levels. Manufacturer contrast ratings were always to take with a grain of salt but with the inflated Panny and Sammy ratings they are now worthless. And I think we can blame Panasonic for this as I'm sure that Samsung did this only to not look inferior to the Panasonic models.
xb1032 is offline  
post #119 of 263 Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Member
 
Mr772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

Well Samsung apparently changed their contrast ratios within the last day or two in an effort to have them match Panasonics'. Once again proving that manufacturer provided contrast ratios are a complete joke.

After looking at both the Samsung and Panasonic plasma's hooked up on the same wall I can say that the new Samsung PDP's are MUCH brighter than the new Panasonic PDP's.

Let me say it this way so you can understand how bright the new Samsung PDP's are there was a 52" Sony XBR4 above the 50A550 and they they were very close in brightness. I mean the Samsung was bright and punchy like an LCD while still having very good blacks. The Panasonic while looking fine on it's own looked dim and hazy compared to the Samsung. There were two Pioneer's on the wall behind me and while they had better black levels they couldn't touch the Samsung PDP on brightness or wow factor (at least on the showroom floor).

Just MHO on what I saw in person. I don't own any of these brands as of now but I'm going to check out a Vidikron PDP next week.

FYI - I manually set all PDP's I was looking at to standard picture to compare. The Samsung was as bright as the xbr4 only when set to the dynamic setting.
Mr772 is offline  
post #120 of 263 Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr772 View Post

After looking at both the Samsung and Panasonic plasma's hooked up on the same wall I can say that the new Samsung PDP's are MUCH brighter than the new Panasonic PDP's.

Let me say it this way so you can understand how bright the new Samsung PDP's are there was a 52" Sony XBR4 above the 50A550 and they they were very close in brightness. I mean the Samsung was bright and punchy like an LCD while still having very good blacks. The Panasonic while looking fine on it's own looked dim and hazy compared to the Samsung. There were two Pioneer's on the wall behind me and while they had better black levels they couldn't touch the Samsung PDP on brightness or wow factor (at least on the showroom floor).

Just MHO on what I saw in person. I don't own any of these brands as of now but I'm going to check out a Vidikron PDP next week.

FYI - I manually set all PDP's I was looking at to standard picture to compare. The Samsung was as bright as the xbr4 only when set to the dynamic setting.

Both the Panasonic and Samsung are capable of being far too bright for any normal viewing. I'm sure the Panny could match the Samsung's brightness, not that it matters. I'm more interested in the black levels.

Also what does Sammy have in store for the higher-end plasmas? I assumed the 450 and 550 series would be it and they would focus on LCD. I'm guessing the higher-end will just be like Panny's 800u and add some sort of non-pulldown 24hz playback, extra color controls, etc.
NathanC is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off