Panasonic Plasma Digital (Optical Audio) output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-24-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question to any owners or Tech-heads.

I am in the market for a Panasonic Plasma. Either the PZ700, or the upcoming PZ800. Most all of the current Panasonic Plasmas have a digital (optical) output on the back.

I want to know if it will convert the analog (RCA) audio inputs on the tv to the optical output, or does it only pass on the PCM / Dolby Digital signals from the HDMI inputs.

My AV receiver will be close to maxed out as far as audio inputs. So if I can hook up 2 or 3 component video sources with their analog audio counterparts to the TV, and output each audio source at the optical out, then I'd be all set.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-24-2008, 07:28 PM

All inputs are output in 2channel over opt audio out, except TV tuner ATSC channels that are broadcast in Dolby. And a DVD HDMI input that is HDCP protected may output nothing.
Maybe you should get another receiver with more inputs?
post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE050 View Post

All inputs are output in 2channel over opt audio out, except TV tuner ATSC channels that are broadcast in Dolby. And a DVD HDMI input that is HDCP protected may output nothing.
Maybe you should get another receiver with more inputs?

I'm planning on getting the Onkyo 605 receiver. but I have 11 total audio sources that I need to connect, including 3 HDMI (PS3/360/HD DVR), 4 RCA analog (PSP,Wii, & 2 iPods), 2 optical (TV's digital output/computer), and 2 coax digital (DVD/CD). The Onkyo is stretching my budget as it is, but it has 2 HDMI ins, 2 coax digital, 2 optical, and about 4 or so RCA ins. So I hope to mix and match between the TV and Receiver in order to run everything.

I wanted to make sure that If I connect my PSP and Wii to the component video/analog audio on the tv that the audio will be converted and sent out of the tv's optical out. That way I can run Pro Logic IIx to matrix the audio coming out of the Panasonic.

So, if it will send all analog audio source inputs, and HDMI (DD and 2ch PCM) to its digital out, then I'm all set!

Thanks
post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Got to Octavainc.com or monoprice.com and see if you can find yourself some sort of switcher to help out with your needs.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM

Is your DVD/CD a special high end player? Why not dump it and use the ps3 or xbox for dvd/cd needs?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-26-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You might want to ask or look in the Panny stiky thread at the top of the page. I know the set will put out 5.1 from its own tuner and will take any HDMI audio and output it as 2.0 on the Toslink, but not sure about analog to Toslink. I checked the manual and it might, but the connections they show are just not clear enough to say for sure.

You can also go to the Panny website and ask a question on the Plasma Concierge Live help chat. They are usually pretty helpful from my experience and what I have read.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #7 of 12 Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonreno View Post

Is your DVD/CD a special high end player? Why not dump it and use the ps3 or xbox for dvd/cd needs?

The DVD player is an up-converting DVD player (Onkyho DV405 that comes with the 908 HTIB package) . I was going to connect it straight to the TV via HDMI. The problem is that this model won't output DTS and DD through the HDMI cable. It requires a coax digital feed for surround.

The CD player is a workhorse and will serve my purposes for CD playback... probably won't see "much" use anyway, since 90% of the time I'm using an iPod or my Powerbook for music.

I'm a little paranoid about overusing the PS3 for DVD's, CD's, etc, etc. I kind of want to save it for games and bluray. If it bricks on me i'll.... I don't want to think about it!
post #8 of 12 Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

You might want to ask or look in the Panny stiky thread at the top of the page. I know the set will put out 5.1 from its own tuner and will take any HDMI audio and output it as 2.0 on the Toslink, but not sure about analog to Toslink. I checked the manual and it might, but the connections they show are just not clear enough to say for sure.

You can also go to the Panny website and ask a question on the Plasma Concierge Live help chat. They are usually pretty helpful from my experience and what I have read.

Good advise, thank you.

I also checked the manual for an answer, and I agree that it only provides a vague idea of what is going on with the toslink output. analog to optical is what I am looking for, I'll try to contact Pana if I can manage to not be working during operational hours.

Thanks again
post #9 of 12 Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 PM

So anything I have plugged in to the TV with HDMI will not output 5.1 to my stereo through the Optical Output?

I just tried my 360 with a game and it is stereo sound......
post #10 of 12 Old 05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend View Post

So anything I have plugged in to the TV with HDMI will not output 5.1 to my stereo through the Optical Output?

Correct
post #11 of 12 Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Correct, but you can run 360 optical to stereo.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I was planning to run the digital optical out from a panasonic 50v10 to my non-HDMI A/V receiver. Will I not get a 5.1 signal?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page