1 input, 2 output HDMI switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for an HDMI switch box that will take 1 input (from cable STB) to 2 outputs (LCD TV and AV Receiver). I don't want to split the signal, as I will only use 1 at a time. I just don't want to use my AV receiver every time I watch TV, so I want to be able to have the cable source go direct to my TV, as well as AV receiver for the times when I want home theater sound.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice sells such a device (they call a splitter) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 which connects one source device to two display devices.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 10 Old 06-26-2008, 11:48 PM

Has anyone used that Monoprice splitter (part #2522)? If so, is it functioning properly? I'm thinking about trying one, but if it doesn't function well, I won't waste my money. I found some info here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1017342 , but it looks like noone has actualy tried it.

Edit - Found my answers here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=793241

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jark87 View Post

I am looking for an HDMI switch box that will take 1 input (from cable STB) to 2 outputs (LCD TV and AV Receiver). I don't want to split the signal, as I will only use 1 at a time. I just don't want to use my AV receiver every time I watch TV, so I want to be able to have the cable source go direct to my TV, as well as AV receiver for the times when I want home theater sound.

Any advice is much appreciated.

That can be tricky. A non powered splitter is usually designed to do what you're talking about. Fry's has one for $ 19.99.

http://shop3.frys.com/product/508296...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you just sending your STB audio over optical or coaxial outputs to your AV Receiver? Nothing more taxing than Dobly Digital 5.1 should ever come out of your STB - no need for HDMI for that. I'm assuming if your receiver has HDMI inputs it has a wealth of other digital audio inputs available. Are they all spoken for? Or is your STB like the annoying Playstation 3 where it won't simultaneously send audo via optical and HDMI?

P
post #5 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscave View Post

Has anyone used that Monoprice splitter (part #2522)? If so, is it functioning properly? I'm thinking about trying one, but if it doesn't function well, I won't waste my money. I found some info here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1017342 , but it looks like noone has actualy tried it.

Edit - Found my answers here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=793241

Doesn't work for me at all, trying to connect a laptop to two TVs and it's a no go.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not trying to hijack this thread, but along these lines... I want to use my computer HDMI out to feed my computer monitor AND my HDTV, but not at the same time. Is there such a splitter out there? Right now, I crawl to the back of the computer (after powering down) and unplug/plug the correct HDMI cable. Just looking for convenience of not having to do that.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post

Not trying to hijack this thread, but along these lines... I want to use my computer HDMI out to feed my computer monitor AND my HDTV, but not at the same time. Is there such a splitter out there? Right now, I crawl to the back of the computer (after powering down) and unplug/plug the correct HDMI cable. Just looking for convenience of not having to do that.

Why not at the same time? If you can live with both devices having the same outputs, then just get a HDMI distribution amp. Fry's sells a bunch last time I looked. When I got one four years ago, it was about $70. They are probably cheaper now.

Just remember the HDMI least common demominator principle will apply with two sinks.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM

Mainly because I only use the HDMI TV output once & awhile. Just didn't see the need to have something that would keep them both active, and thought maybe there was something cheap that would do the job. Thinking along the lines of an A/B type of switch.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post

Mainly because I only use the HDMI TV output once & awhile. Just didn't see the need to have something that would keep them both active, and thought maybe there was something cheap that would do the job. Thinking along the lines of an A/B type of switch.

You're really not losing anything keeping both ports active. All of the A/B switches I know of are actually active switches (they use power from the HDMI cable), so you really don't gain anything with an A/B switch in your situation. The high speed digital data isn't really compatible with an old-fashioned ca-chunga switch - when you look at A/B switches, if you see an LED light, then that is a powered switch. Also if you do find a true A/B switch that means the EDID handshake will have to start over again when you change the position which will increase the time it takes to display a picture (which is already too slow).
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Ok, thanks!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page