DISH TV - HDMI or COmponent hookup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all;
Just found this forum site and I've got a newbie question. I just got DISH HD tv hooked up and the installers hooked up the TV (Visio HDTV) with component cables. I presumed this was because the HDMI cables are extra (we had the same deal hooked up at another house, only it was the non-HD DISH setup).

But now I'm wondering. I just bought a HDMI cable because I thought I'd connect with this insteadof the component cables. Why? because I've also got a receiver that I believe will do component audio. I also thought that the only way to get 1080i is with HDMI cables.

Am I wrong about needing HDMI for 1080i (or even 1080p for that matter), and what will happen if I have both the component cables AND HDMI cable connected to the tv?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-17-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
no, you don't need hdmi for 1080i...

no idea on what will happen if you hook up both... probably source/tv dependent...

"component cables" only carry video, not audio...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 13 Old 11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

From your comments about audio, I don't know if you are aware that HDMI carries both video and audio. Thus you only need one HDMI cable instead of five (or four if you use digital audio) for component video and audio.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #4 of 13 Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
good comment carl, i should have included that as well...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 13 Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!
post #6 of 13 Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM

I switched from HDMI to Component on my Cable Box because of all the odd handshake problems and delays while switching channels. Even while recording in the evening the screen would turn itself off and all that was recorded was sound. I'd get weird lock ups that required odd rebooting sequences. Worst of all were the wire issues (who blamed me). Now all these problems has disappeared by swapping to component.

That being said, Blue Ray is via HDMI and it works great! The Cable (and I assume the Dish box) box just have to much going on and the bugs can getcha!

Good luck.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Depending on your HDtv/HDprojector component can give a better picture. For one of my hdtv's which is a plasma i have it hooked up component & hdmi to my receiver for audio to the dish 622 at the same time. Also have a optical hooked up to it as well for good measure
post #8 of 13 Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

I have a ViP 722, and in my experience, it actually looks superior thru component. The colors are much more vibrant, and the picture is sharper as well. I paused an image on ESPN HD with plenty of colors, and switched the connections between component and HDMI, and component won, hands down.

Obviously, I had to try mess around with the picture settings while it was set on HDMI, but no matter what I did, whether it was cranking the color up, and messing with the tint, nothing, nothing at all would make the HDMI look as good as component.

So needless to say, I have my DVR hooked thru component now. Although the rest of my gear is hooked thru HDMI Maybe I just have a bad HDMI port on my DVR?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 View Post

I have a ViP 722, and in my experience, it actually looks superior thru component. The colors are much more vibrant, and the picture is sharper as well. I paused an image on ESPN HD with plenty of colors, and switched the connections between component and HDMI, and component won, hands down.

Obviously, I had to try mess around with the picture settings while it was set on HDMI, but no matter what I did, whether it was cranking the color up, and messing with the tint, nothing, nothing at all would make the HDMI look as good as component.

So needless to say, I have my DVR hooked thru component now. Although the rest of my gear is hooked thru HDMI Maybe I just have a bad HDMI port on my DVR?

What component cables are you using, and what HDTV do you have?

I want to try switching from HDMI to component on my 722 as well, I just want to be sure I get some quality cables. TIA.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun55 View Post

What component cables are you using, and what HDTV do you have?

I want to try switching from HDMI to component on my 722 as well, I just want to be sure I get some quality cables. TIA.

It's been a while since I bought my component cables, but I believe they are Philips? They have silver connectors.... I paid like 25? bucks for em at wal-mart a few years ago. My TV is a Samsung FP-T5084. When I hooked up my receiver to the TV thru HDMI, I could tell something was a miss. Like I said before, the color just seemed faded. Nothing I did would fix it. Switching to component fixed all my problems....
post #11 of 13 Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 View Post

It's been a while since I bought my component cables, but I believe they are Philips? They have silver connectors.... I paid like 25? bucks for em at wal-mart a few years ago. My TV is a Samsung FP-T5084. When I hooked up my receiver to the TV thru HDMI, I could tell something was a miss. Like I said before, the color just seemed faded. Nothing I did would fix it. Switching to component fixed all my problems....

I think I'll buy the components cables through a local store and then return them if I don't see a difference, or makes the pq look worse. Thanks.

Also, do any of your Dish HD feeds look a little pixelated? I seem to find some channels that are pretty bad?
post #12 of 13 Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 AM

I've got a Dish 722 DVR also, and I have noticed that the picture quality can vary significantly from channel to channel. I don't think it has anything to do with the sat. receiver, just source-dependent.

That's interesting about component vs. hdmi, I'll have to try that.

I've found that HD over air antenna to have a considerably better picture than the sat. If you can get reception where you live I recommend getting an antenna. NFL on CBS and NBC is phenomenal! The best picture quality I've ever seen (on my sammy pna650)
post #13 of 13 Old 12-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Hi guys,

Me and my wife are enjoying our new 46ZP800u Panny for a week now. Hooked up the BD35k today, dropped in WALL-E (have an 8 year old - what can I say) and the picture was outstanding.

I do have a question for anybody with a DISH-Vip722 receiver though. I have my output resolution set to 1080i and the incoming signal to the Panny is great. Today I was playing with my settings and changed it to 720p.

Not sure if my mind and eyes were playing tricks on me but I thought that the HD picture was much better - somehow crisper.

Is this just my imagination?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page