HDMI from Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver to Sony Bravia W 4100 TV - no sound or picture! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon 2910 DVD player which when directly connected via a HDMI cable to my Sony Bravia 4100 X HDTV works fine. There is a coaxial cable from the DVD hooked up to the Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver for audio. Now want to connect an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the Yamaha and then to the HDTV to improve the sound. After disconnecting the old coaxial cable, I ran the HDMI to the Yamaha's DVD HDMI Input. Then I connected another cable from the receiver's HDMI Out directly to the HDMI Input 1 on the Sony TV. The receiver was linked (light on)to the DVD connection and the HDMI light went on. However, there was no picture or sound, just a black screen on the TV! I checked the HDMI cables and they are fine. I then tried another of the receiver's HDMI Inputs (SAT TV) to see if that was the problem but the same thing occurred again, nothing. Is there a switch or something either on the DVD or receiver that needs turning on? I looked through both Denon and Yamaha manuals and cannot see anything that relates to that issue. I am sure I am missing something simple here but need help in finding what I need to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You may also want to try the other forums for receivers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=90 and LCDs: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...prune=60&f=166

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 5 Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does the receiver work with other HDMI sources?

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM

i have the rx-v1800 and i can tell you that if you have the hdmi resolution set to an incompatible mode with your display then you end up with a black screen. my display only supports 1080i, when i set hdmi to 1080p at the reciever i got the black screen. make sure hdmi out is connected to your tv, then press the "set menu" button on you remote. select manual setup, then option 5. goto "video set", make sure video conversion is set to on and then scroll downt to hdmi, here you get a choice of resolutions. choose the one that applies to your display. go back to manual setup and choose option 3, then option f " hdmi set" in this option ensure it displays "support audio - rx-v1800". i have my blu-ray connected to the rx-v1800, from there to my plasma screen and this is thge setup i use. works for me, hope it helps you out.

alextheg
post #5 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships942 View Post
I have a Denon 2910 DVD player which when directly connected via a HDMI cable to my Sony Bravia 4100 X HDTV works fine. There is a coaxial cable from the DVD hooked up to the Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver for audio. Now want to connect an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the Yamaha and then to the HDTV to improve the sound. After disconnecting the old coaxial cable, I ran the HDMI to the Yamaha's DVD HDMI Input. Then I connected another cable from the receiver's HDMI Out directly to the HDMI Input 1 on the Sony TV. The receiver was linked (light on)to the DVD connection and the HDMI light went on. However, there was no picture or sound, just a black screen on the TV! I checked the HDMI cables and they are fine. I then tried another of the receiver's HDMI Inputs (SAT TV) to see if that was the problem but the same thing occurred again, nothing. Is there a switch or something either on the DVD or receiver that needs turning on? I looked through both Denon and Yamaha manuals and cannot see anything that relates to that issue. I am sure I am missing something simple here but need help in finding what I need to do!
I'm having this same exact issue with my RXV1800. Except I'm using an Xbox 360 to HDMI In and then HDMI Out to Samsung Plasma.

The Yamaha links to HDMI (Display Light turns on) but I get no pic or audio.

Btw, I've tried the solution in the previous comment to no avail.

Any suggestions?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page