Small connector or little molding on HDMI cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-30-2009, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to mount my HDTV above my fireplace in my new home and not have any wires outside the wall. I have a conduit running from above the fireplace to a wall on the side of the room that is about 24' long. My problem is that my builder used 1/2" smurf tubing for the conduit, and I didn't realize until the home was finished that the HDMI cable head doesn't really fit in the tube. The actual cable head fits, but all of my cables have too much molding around the connector to fit in.

Is there anyone that sells HDMI cables with smaller heads or low-profile molding? If I can't get a cable into the tube, what are my other options?

Thanks!

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoma4 View Post

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to mount my HDTV above my fireplace in my new home and not have any wires outside the wall. I have a conduit running from above the fireplace to a wall on the side of the room that is about 24' long. My problem is that my builder used 1/2" smurf tubing for the conduit, and I didn't realize until the home was finished that the HDMI cable head doesn't really fit in the tube. The actual cable head fits, but all of my cables have too much molding around the connector to fit in.

Is there anyone that sells HDMI cables with smaller heads or low-profile molding? If I can't get a cable into the tube, what are my other options?

Thanks!

-Matt

1/2"? Hmmm... Boy, I don't know of any that small. My suggestion, if you cannot find such a beast, is to use Cat5e or Cat6 cable and baluns. Check these out, many manufacturers out there, this is just one of many http://www.google.com/products/catal...ult#ps-sellers
post #3 of 13 Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks localnet!

I ended up buying the TrippLite HDMI over Cat5/6 set (I used Cat6. It's working great for me! It's pretty easy to install, and the Cat 6 wires are punched down directly to the wall plate, so the head of the cable doesn't need to fit through the smurf tube.

Appreciate the help!

-Matt
post #4 of 13 Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone else has a similar problem there is also this HDMI cable http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite...z~4TRPA1T6.htm with added small connectors that allows pulling through small conduit.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #5 of 13 Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 AM

Liked: 15
There is also the rapidrun cables that might work for you, in addition to the suggestions above.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

There is also the rapidrun cables that might work for you, in addition to the suggestions above.

HDMI over Single Wire cat5/6 cable also works great and saves more space too than the twin cat5.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

HDMI over Single Wire cat5/6 cable also works great and saves more space too than the twin cat5.

Have you tried one of those single wire HDMI units? I have allot of Intelix baluns in my house, and spoke to one of their techs regarding single cat5e or 6 HDMI baluns. He told me they are working on them, but have not had favorable results. If you have, or are using these single wire HDMI units, what do you think, do they work well passing the voice and video?

Mike
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

Have you tried one of those single wire HDMI units? I have allot of Intelix baluns in my house, and spoke to one of their techs regarding single cat5e or 6 HDMI baluns. He told me they are working on them, but have not had favorable results. If you have, or are using these single wire HDMI units, what do you think, do they work well passing the voice and video?

Mike

Can you show me the ones that dont work well please?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Can you show me the ones that dont work well please?

I have seen some reviews on some sites where there were problems with these single cable units. I was just wondering if you have had any luck. I didn't want to drop $100+ on something that was questionable. The only reason I asked, and the guys at Intelix were very convincing when talking actual engineering and the problems with sending an HDMI signal over one cable. No brands or manufacturers were ever mentioned.

I would like to know for a possible future project, as I am limited on actual Cat5e runs. Right now I am using component baluns and pumping the sound through my whole house audio system to a couple of rooms. It would be nice to do it all with a single HDMI/Cat5e run. That is why I asked because I don't know.

Mike
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have seen some reviews on some sites where there were problems with these single cable units. I was just wondering if you have had any luck. I didn't want to drop $100+ on something that was questionable. The only reason I asked, and the guys at Intelix were very convincing when talking actual engineering and the problems with sending an HDMI signal over one cable. No brands or manufacturers were ever mentioned.

I would like to know for a possible future project, as I am limited on actual Cat5e runs. Right now I am using component baluns and pumping the sound through my whole house audio system to a couple of rooms. It would be nice to do it all with a single HDMI/Cat5e run. That is why I asked because I don't know.

Mike

I will do some more testing on these and get back to you on this.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike

Ok Ive just bench tested a SINGLE cat6 cable through the (Single cat5/6 to HDMI Extender) and its working FANTASTIC! These are new ones on the market and maybe better than the ones you have heard about.Im very very happy with the results, I will now take one home an test on a 15M run of cat6 I have installed in the walls

BTW these baluns are "both powered each end" unlike twin cat5 baluns being powered one end.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
An issue with single Cat 5/6 HDMI extenders is that they have to multiplex the data signals (HDMI has more data wires than a Cat 5/6 cable). The multiplexing of the data signals has to be done exactly right or it will cause problems. From what I have read dual Cat 5/6 HDMI extenders are usually more reliable since they don't have to multiplex the data signals.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-14-2009, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike

Ok Ive just tested the SINGLE cat5e/6 Extenders with ONE 15M cat5e cable and it works perfectly! 1080P and all the audio tracks, nice simple and easy to use. This is a great product for people who either already only have one cat5e cable in the wall or no room for adding more than one.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page