HDCP problems -- where do I go from here? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-18-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm having a serious set of HDCP problems, and I've tried just about everything I can think of to track down the source of the problem. I can't even get that far. If any of you have any ideas, or suggestions for a professional who is capable of fixing these sorts of issues, please let me know. Here's the setup, the problem, and the diagnosis so far:

SETUP / EQUIPMENT
(note: everything here is connected via HDMI, of course, and everything is HDCP compliant)
-----------------------
Sources: PS3, Motorola DVR 6416
Sources connected to: Calibre VantageHD 2 video processor/scaler
Video proc. connected to: Gefen 1:2 HDMI 1.3a splitter
Splitter connected to: JVC 61FN97 TV (output 1), Sharp Aquos 42D64U (output 2)

THE PROBLEM
----------------
I am unable to consistently watch either source without an HDCP error. I am *sometimes* able to watch a source where there is no HDCP issue (if it was all the time, the problem would be easier to diagnose). Here's how I know when there's an issue: when the video processor senses an HDCP problem, it outputs a yellow screen to the TV, and a diagnostic light on it turns yellow. When it has good communication, that light turns red, and the TV shows a picture. Additionally, when the splitter senses an HDCP issue, it turns the screen green. (so, yellow or green=bad, red or picture=good).

My first thought was to take the splitter out of the equation, and connect directly to the JVC. I tried multiple combinations of turning things on/off in different orders, but once there was an HDCP problem, nothing seemed to fix it (yellow screen). I turned the TV off, and suddenly the light on the processor was red (= good!). I turned the TV on, all fine. So then I tried to recreate the issue, by continuing to turn these things off and on, and finally the HDCP issue occurred again. This time, there was no fixing it with turning the TV off and on.

So, I reattached the splitter, and for a while, it had the same issue. It worked, then it didn't (the processor reported an HDCP error with a yellow screen). Turning the stuff on in different orders, resetting the splitter, switching its EDID, and unplugging/plugging the cables -- *one* of those things fixed it. It started working, and then the splitter spat out a green screen (though the processor still showed a red, no-hdcp issue light). The splitter seemed to spit out its green screen when the Aquos was connected. BUT the aquos and the splitter hadn't been connected initially, while I was still having problems.

I tried this with two sources, the PS3 and the cable box, in case one source was the problem.

I am impossibly lost. There is no consistent pattern to reproduce the issue, nor even a consistent issue.

Please help.

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's not clear, did you try without the video processor?

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page