Can an HDMI cable end be repaired? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a 30ft HDMI cable run through the wall and one end that goes into the satellite box has a loose connection.

Can the end be cut off and a new one spliced on?

I dont care what it costs, it's got to be cheaper than tearing out the sheet rock and running a new cable.

Pulling a new cable through the wall is going to be difficult, The holes I drilled through the studs weren't much bigger than the cable end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM

You can try this:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...me=HDI-19P-KIT

I don't know anyone that's done it but I think there was a thread here that talked about it. You have to be good with soldering...maybe if you contact the company they can give you more info.

If your connection is bad on the cable, that's probably your only option. If your connection is loose when it's plugged in, also take a look at:

http://www.blueechosolutions.com/hd-ez-lock.php

It will take care of a loose connection when plugged in.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

You might also try a short extension cable such as http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2. This may allow you to find a connection position that works (and perhaps tape the two cables together in that position).

Soldering an HDMI cable is not for the faint hearted. It requires experience soldering very small wires and steady hands. But give it a shot if the other options don't work.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #4 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 AM

Same problem here. One end all the pins pulled out the connector. What did you decide to do Mark? I really don;t want to tear up 30 feet of sheettock.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post

I've got a 30ft HDMI cable run through the wall and one end that goes into the satellite box has a loose connection.

I dont care what it costs, it's got to be cheaper than tearing out the sheet rock and running a new cable.

Pulling a new cable through the wall is going to be difficult, The holes I drilled through the studs weren't much bigger than the cable end.

Tie string(nylon used by pros) to your old cable, pull your old cable out. Pull new cable in with nylon string.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

Tie string(nylon used by pros) to your old cable, pull your old cable out. Pull new cable in with nylon string.

I wish I had that option. The wholes on the studs are just big enough for the connector, now that other cable is ran, its to tight to pull cable.

I knew I should have ran CAT6 as well.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans17 View Post

I wish I had that option. The wholes on the studs are just big enough for the connector, now that other cable is ran, its to tight to pull cable.

Yikes. I made the same mistake. Is there a way to run a cable a different route? A lot of my cables went thru the wall I built but others had to go to existing walls.
I used this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 just in case I did mess up a cable.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM

What you think about trying this? Might as well try, since the cable is bad now anyway right?

What if I use this http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products...xtModelID=3940 and instead of the cat6 use the HDMI cable that is in the wall as te meduim? Since this extender uses punch down, just need to match up the ends to be the same. I uses 22awg HDMI cable and Cat6 is 22-24 awg the punch down should hold. I only need 38 feet but had to run 50 foot cable.

See a reason it won;t work?
post #9 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What you think about trying this? Might as well try, since the cable is bad now anyway right?

What if I use this http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products...xtModelID=3940 and instead of the cat6 use the HDMI cable that is in the wall as te meduim? Since this extender uses punch down, just need to match up the ends to be the same. I uses 22awg HDMI cable and Cat6 is 22-24 awg the punch down should hold. I only need 38 feet but had to run 50 foot cable.

See a reason it won;t work?

The Tripplite device requires two cat5/6 cables or eight TP wires, and an HDMI cable only has 4 TP wires. You could try an HDMI to cat5/6 converter that only requires one cable such as http://www.antonline.com/p_HDMI-C5S-GP_607226.htm.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #10 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You might have room to run this cable http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite...z~7TRPA1T6.htm.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #11 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM

I saw something on youtube about a month ago. This guy was demonstrating how to run wire thru a wall without cutting holes or climbing thru the attic.

He attached a magnet to the Romex electrical wire and fished the wire thru the entry hole. Then he had a second magnet and ran it along the exterior part of the wall and the wire followed the magnet like a little puppy dog. It managed to elude all the insulation in the wall and basically clung to the wall. Then when it reached the bottom hole he just pulled it thru.

I tried to find it on youtube for you but I could not do it.
Maybe an electrical supply store or even Lowe's or Home Depot might be able to help you.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post

I saw something on youtube about a month ago. This guy was demonstrating how to run wire thru a wall without cutting holes or climbing thru the attic.

He attached a magnet to the Romex electrical wire and fished the wire thru the entry hole. Then he had a second magnet and ran it along the exterior part of the wall and the wire followed the magnet like a little puppy dog. It managed to elude all the insulation in the wall and basically clung to the wall. Then when it reached the bottom hole he just pulled it thru.

I tried to find it on youtube for you but I could not do it.
Maybe an electrical supply store or even Lowe's or Home Depot might be able to help you.

It is also over $100. I have seen it at the electrical supply house.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post

Running a "single" cat5/6 to HDMI extender would be the way I would do it.
http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/products....&detailid=1471

Murray Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 20 Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM

Thx.

One thing I want to try is to rip apart the Mono Price cable end and se if I can tell if its replacable. I been told on the 22awg wire, the connector is soldered to a circuit board and the wires are solder to the other end of teh board. Holding everything in place is solid glue or an RTV type compound. Will see when i cut it open. Nothing to lose when its broken.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 AM

post #16 of 20 Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Five years later...
post #17 of 20 Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Maybe he's still working on the repair rolleyes.gif
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Did you see the price on that link? $75.00!!!

How about under 20 bucks?

http://www.showmecables.com/product/HDMI-Female-Terminal-Block-Connector.aspx?link=YMAL

Since this has been necrobumped, at least we should see some more cost effective fix-it ideas.

I like the guy who wire-nutted all his HDMI stuff together and it's working perfectly for him.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Did you notice it says max. resolution 720p? These things don't maintain the characteristic impedance of the cable. They are only a good choice if you have absolutely no better way of fixing the problem.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Since this has been necrobumped

necrobumped? biggrin.gif That's a great term! I may have to steal it from you wink.gif
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page