Help with HDMI selection (long run) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are in the process of building a new house. In the living room we will have our TV (Panny 58V10) mounted on the wall with the electronics all tucked away in a closest to the side. My concern is the length of the HDMI cable. It will be approximately 30 feet running from the receiver to the TV (one cable...all the equipment is in the closet). What do you guys suggestion for a reasonably priced cable that will still support 1080P (BlueRay)? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Monoprice.com $33.54

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 10 Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Love Monoprice and I am buying most of my stuff there. The problem is that this wire is going in the wall so I want to buy 1.3 compliant wire so I never have to swap it out. Any other recommendations?
post #4 of 10 Old 09-17-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by radelow View Post

Love Monoprice and I am buying most of my stuff there. The problem is that this wire is going in the wall so I want to buy 1.3 compliant wire so I never have to swap it out. Any other recommendations?

I have a 50 ft monoprice in-wall approved HDMI cable that works fine for me. Here's the deal with in-wall cables. I understand you want to get a cable that is guaranteed to work now and in the future. Unfortunately, there are no gaurantees. In the near future are 1.4 spec'd HDMI cables. Another change maybe your equipment in the future....a change in monitors/projectors or the source component may cause issues with a long cable run. There are aftermarket products like signal boosters or products that help with HDCP/handshake issues (Ethereal's DAD) that can solve a future issue.

The two rules that I live by are start with the least expensive and if that works that go with it...if it doesn't than make sure I purchase from a company that allows a demo period or fair return policy. This next comment may seem like an obvious suggestion, but this forum is littered with ppl that didn't test first....

I test the cable for a day or two running through normal use and all equipment BEFORE running the cable through the walls. You'd be surprised the number of folks that complete an in-wall cable run only to find issues after the installation.

Good Luck
Ron

PS: My personal situation was my previous projector/scaler combo worked perfectly. I swapped my projector for a Planar 8150 and dropped the scaler, instead using my Arcam AVP600 (for scaling and switching). I was having handshake issues (snow and HDCP handshake issues...not everytime, but sometimes). I tried a booster with limited benefit. I dropped the booster and tried the Ethereal DAD (http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/391606.html). The DAD solved the problem. Do I encounter a quirky issue sometimes...sure, but I can work through it and get the source components/Arcam/Planar all to work together. All during this time, I kept my 50 ft cable in place.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 10 Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have that same Monoprice in-wall rated cable as posted above (either 30' or 35' can't remember) and it works fine at 1080P.

For future proofing. Install that cable (or some other 1.3a in wall rated HDMI cable) in the wall, then install an empty 2 conduit next to it. Run a pull cord (heavy weight fishing line is what I use) through it before installation and just leave the pull cord taped on both ends for potential use years down the road. Makes snaking a new run in the future much easier.

-Suntan
post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

You might also consider running a couple of CAT5e/6 cables and using an HDMI-to-CAT5 converter. They are often rated for 100' or more at 1080p.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow View Post

You might also consider running a couple of CAT5e/6 cables and using an HDMI-to-CAT5 converter. They are often rated for 100' or more at 1080p.

HIghly suggest this as well. The best option is to run conduit.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 AM

I would like some advice on which brand or model that I should use for CAT5e or CAT6 extenders. I am unable to run a long HDMI cable( I have a tight space)

I see alot allover the net and on ebay...just not sure what works and what doesn't.....I am running a Samsung Bluray to a wall mounted Samsung 6 series 32" for the nursery. Bluray is located on the other side of the room. I can squeeze the cat5e under the molding and mount the extenders be hind the TV and hide the other behind the bluray....I need to pass 1080P video, 2 channel audio, CEC. ....Cable run is 34 feet....money is an issue, just trying to get the best value, not the best product. I have had Extron in the past but they cost a lot. I have had bad experiences with Gefen and the Tech Support.

Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radelow View Post

Sewell Direct has a 40' HDMI cable for $24.95 (just google SW-2701-40) - it's 1.3b compliant. I know this is a little longer than you need, just tuck the extra away in the closet.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 AM

Hi,

I could also use your advise. I live in The Netherlands So if I order @monoprice, sending it back will take a lot longer. So I would love a "save" option.

I'm on the verge of buying a Epson TW-3500 (US model: Homecinema 8100) projector.

My Onkyo SR-875 --> Projector distance is about 38 ft (12 meters).
What's my best option. I would like to send 1080p24/60 savely without any distortion or dropouts.

If anybody can advise, it would be a really big help.

Thanks!

Erwin
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page