could my HDMI be the problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very wierd problem. I have a Sony 1080p tv and have it hooked to a Samsung BR player(I switch this out with a PS3 as well) and a motorola hd cable box.

the TV is perfect with the PS3 and with the BR player, but when I am watching HD tv the sound will randomly cut out for 2-5 seconds. it might not do it for 20 minutes then it will do it 3 times in a row. I have swapped inputs on the tv and swapped my two hdmi cables. I have also had the cable company try different tuners. BTW, it does not do it on NON HD stations.

the tuner is a DVR and I noticed that if I have a HD show recorded I can backup to the spot it cut out and it won't cut out. so the signal is there, just not coming out on the TV. I have no idea what could cause this and desperate for some help! any advice?

Just trying to keep up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like some sort of audio sync problem between the TV and the cable box. Are there any options on the TV or the cable box for the digital sound format, such as Dolby or PCM? If so, you might try playing with those.

The HDMI cable is not the cause since both video and audio are transmitted on the same lines, and you have no video problem.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 4 Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

I've played with everything on the TV and I also have the audio output going to a receiver. the sound will do it on both the tv and the reciever.

I figured it was the cable box but when I rewind and it works fine it had me wondering. funny part is that the picture is always perfect. I would think the picture would require more signal than the sound

thanks for the tips

Just trying to keep up...
post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc01 View Post

I've played with everything on the TV and I also have the audio output going to a receiver. the sound will do it on both the tv and the reciever.

I figured it was the cable box but when I rewind and it works fine it had me wondering. funny part is that the picture is always perfect. I would think the picture would require more signal than the sound

thanks for the tips

Are there any audio options on the cable box?

Yes, the video requires a much greater bandwidth (at least a factor of 100) more than the audio.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page