need HDMI or DVI graphics card and KVM switch for HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a CRT monitor but I'd like to make the plunge into HDTV. I'd like to get a 1080p HDTV set that I can also use as a computer monitor. Problem is, my whole computer setup is about 4 years old so I'll need some other upgrades.

1. I'd like to achieve 1920x1080 resolution as a monitor, but unfortunately to do that I'll need to upgrade my graphics card. While I'm upgrading to the higher resolution, I know I also need a card that does HDMI or DVI output. Can someone recommend a fairly inexpensive card that supports this resolution? I'm not looking to play games, I just want to be able to watch an occasional movie at 1080p resolution.

I actually need two such cards (keep reading for more on my system setup), one PCI and the other PCIe. Can someone recommend inexpensive cards that will support 1080p?

2. In my current/old system, I have two computers with a KVM switch, and of course my monitor connection is VGA. But in upgrading, I'll need a KVM switch where the monitor connection is DVI or HDMI instead. I've browsed KVM switches and there seems to be a good selection where the monitor connection is DVI but very few and very expensive (over $200) where the monitor connection is HDMI. So I believe I need to stick to a KVM switch with a DVI connection. (For what it's worth, my keyboard/mouse are PS2.)

I know I'm posting in an HDMI forum, but I'm wondering if I should keep my setup simple (for the sake of the KVM switch) and look for a graphics card and TV/Monitor that support a DVI connection. On the other hand, I can see from other posts in this forum that inexpensive DVI to HDMI converters are available so maybe it doesn't matter that much.

In summary, if folks can point me to inexpensive graphics cards that will meet my needs, I will appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado1 View Post

I'd like to get a 1080p HDTV set that I can also use as a computer monitor.

If this is the case make sure the HDTV you get has a "Just" aspect ratio setting. This will make it function like a computer monitor without any overscan issues.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page