HELP - Looks Like they sent me a lower quality HDMI Cable?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After some of research last week, I decided to buy a 30 ft - 24 AWG cable - HDMI 1.3a - Category 2, triple shielded for about $35. I bought it online and thought I got a decent deal. Quality was important because of the length (but didn't want to pay a ton).

It arrived yesterday and found that the cable doesn't have any AWG designation like electrical cabling. The actual cable has the following designation written on the cable:

E119932-T AWM 20276 80degC 30V VW-1 COPARTNER High Speed HDMI1.4 Cable with Ethernet

I spent an hour some time on the forum and on the web and found some info. It looks like the designation E119932 is for 28 AWG wire. So I think I should have got a cable with the E139956 type cable if it was 24 AWG.

Can anyone confirm this? Should I send it back?

The cable will be used to send recorded HD TV recordings and movies from my HTPC (geoforce 9600GT) to 40in Sony LCD (720p).

Any help is much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Liked: 15
why don't you ask the vendor?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Why not try it out? Just because the specs aren't what you expected doesn't mean it won't work fine. Since HDMI is digital, you should notice any video dropouts immediately. If you can move your PC temporarily so it's close to the TV, you wouldn't even have to unroll the cable.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

why don't you ask the vendor?

I was hoping someone could confirm my assumption before I start complaining. I could just see me calling back and them telling me that the wire is adequate for my needs. I actually ordered a 1.3a HDMI cable but they sent me a 1.4 HDMI cable, so I could see some customer rep trying to blow some smoke up my a$$ by telling me that they did me a favor (as far a I know the difference in HDMI 1.3 to 1.4 doesn't eliminate quality loss due to long cable lengths). Also, today is Sunday so I figure the customer service is slim to none today.

As for trying it out, I did try it out one time and it seemed to work ok but the second time I had some issues that I wasn't sure if it was the cable or my computer. I added another hard drive to my HTPC and I think the power drain on my 430W power supply was a little too much. I'm trouble shooting that as we speak.

I'm more into finding out if I paid $35 for a 24 AWG cable that might have been a $20 28AWG cable by someone confirming my specs research.

If I got ripped off by them subbing a cheaper wire then I'll probably ask them to send me a better one especially if doesn't work. If it works then I'll probably push for them to credit my VISA the difference in cable costs (I'll bet that will be a fun conversation).

Any thoughts.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Since HDMI is digital, you should notice any video dropouts immediately.

Is this everyone's experience? It wasn't mine. If the moon and temperature are right mine sync's perfectly - otherwise . . . . .

BTW is anyone else offended by the use of the word "Standard" in reference to HDMI? I certainly am.

There are no standards or there wouldn't be a need for this forum.

HDMI is a bad joke on the Home Theater community and it needs a CLASS ACTION SUIT. It shouldn't require hours to get quality equipment to sync and STAY that way.

It is witchcraft now with so many "Standards" and no QA. Someone should be held responsible for people's time and money.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not quite as upset as you, yet but my first experience with HDMI cables, my PC and and my HD LCD have left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The reason being that I have 30ft of high quality component cable in my wall that is useless because my video card took a dump and I ended up getting a new one.

I was hoping I could find an inexpensive solution to convert my DVI or HDMI output from my video card through my component cable to my HDTV. Unfortunately, I found out that it was much cheaper ($100 cheaper) to run new HDMI cable than to convert the signal out of my video card. Developing technology always seems to keep us spending money. I just try to keep it to a minimum.

This is why I'm still hoping that this cable might work for me.
But I really want to know if someone can answer my question about the designation of E119932 being for 28 AWG wire and that the designation E139956 cable is for 24 AWG wire.

I'm still trouble shooting my video card and cable by trying to get it all stable before I make a decision to keep or return the cable. Any info is appreciated.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by geohec View Post

It looks like the designation E119932 is for 28 AWG wire. So I think I should have got a cable with the E139956 type cable if it was 24 AWG.

Wrong! E119932 is the UL file number for Appliance Wiring Material (AWM) made by Copartner. E139956 is the UL file number of Power-limited Circuit Cable made by Copartner. Both come in many different gauges and number of conductors. The only way you can tell what the gauge is if it is marked on the cable (which apparently it is not) or open the cable up, strip back the insulation and measure each wire.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Wrong! E119932 is the UL file number for Appliance Wiring Material (AWM) made by Copartner. E139956 is the UL file number of Power-limited Circuit Cable made by Copartner. Both come in many different gauges and number of conductors. The only way you can tell what the gauge is if it is marked on the cable (which apparently it is not) or open the cable up, strip back the insulation and measure each wire.

I was afraid of that. I spend over an hour in frustration trying to figure out the designations listed on the wire. The only method that gave me solid results was going to monoprice website and looking at the specs of all the different cables they sell. I didn't buy there but now I wished that I did. It seemed that all the 28 AWG cables had that desingation E119932 and all the 24 AWG cables had the other designation. I guess that theory was wrong.

The thing that got me suspicious was that the cable was about the same diameter/thickness as another 6 ft cable that I bought 2 years ago for a DVD player. That cable wasn't anything special, so when this one arrived I was expecting to see an obvious difference in diameter but there wasn't.

I'm still having problems getting this cable to work consistently on my HTPC. It actually works on my DVD player, but not with my video card output. What's weird is that the cable didn't work out of the box so I tried my other old short cable to troubleshoot the problem. The old short cable worked one time, but now I can't get either the new 30 ft cable or the old short one to work. I thought the new $35 dollar HDMI cable would simply work, but video card outputs and LCD HDTV's aren't simply plug and play theses days. I wish I could simply use my old high quality component cables with out having to spend $130 buck on a HDFury2 or equivalent.

Thanks for the help and wish me luck.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM

This is an old post. I just had the same questions, finding an HDMI cable with this specification printed on the cable jacket. I did a Google search on this cable number (E119932-T AWM 20276 80degC 30V VW-1 COPARTNER) .

After getting no result from my search, I came across this post with more info than any other. I remembered that I purchased my cable from Monoprice, so looked up their invoice and the two three foot cables I bought from Monoprice show it as 28 AWG High Speed HDMI cable. Monoprice is one of the few cable suppliers I've found that actually show the gauge of their cable.

So this is a 28 AWG cable.

I like Monoprice. High quality, fast shipping, good price and you know what you are buying. They also have excellent technical support.

Maybe this will help someone else.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
HDMI.org and its certification centres certify cable assemblies – not reels of cable!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page