Guide in selecting HDMI cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am here to be guided on buying HDMI cables. To a novoice like me what should I be lookin before I buy HDMI cables...all the Category 2 certified, 24/28 AWG, 1.3 a/b...anything else to look for?

I have a Samsung Series 5 32" TV and looking at 4-5ft cables..Since monster cables are expensive, alternatives I was looking at MediaBridge cables on Amazon and though this forum I saw few cables at Monoprice..so, should i just go with Monoprice or is there a diff in quality btwn these two cables?

Any/all kind of inputs that will help me making a decision will be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Can't go wrong with any cable from monoprice.com
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Sure you can go wrong with monoprice. Monoprice products typically represent good value and are often considerably less expensive than cables of similar quality from other vendors, often the exact same cables (we are talking about a commodity product from China). But there are better quality products at higher, but still reasonable, prices available from other vendors like Blue Jeans Cable. And there are some applications that require this higher quality. None of the monoprice cables will match the Blue Jeans Series 1 cable in performance because they don't use the same Belden cable, the best that there is. For some applications, particularly short ones, say less than 15 feet or so, it probably won't make a difference what you choose. For longer runs at high resolution and color depth, the Series 1 cable can make a difference between a solid picture and no picture.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with Monster cables except the price. They are a quality product, probably better than monoprice. A lot of what you pay for is the name brand, features that don't affect the performance, and profit for the retailer.

All that said, I would go with monoprice except for critical runs. Then I would go with the Blue Jeans Series 1. If it won't work with that, a completely different solution is required.

In between are a lot of brands. For the most part, they are the same commodity cables as monoprice sells, just more expensive. Some look fancier, or beefier, but under the skin are very much alike.

Notice that I have totally left out "videophile" cables. I haven't seen one yet that is worth the price.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 AM

To specificly answer your question, given the very short distance you are looking to run your signal, you will be served fine by cables from monoprice.

Most of the tir cables are 1.3 cert. The guage is not really improtant due to your short run length.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and bought the cables from Monoprice. I just received them yesterday..I will comment on the quality when i get to check them.
Thx all you guys for giving some valuable inputs.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page