Monster Cable M1000 vs. Ultimate HD1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im going to be upgrading my cables and was wondering if there is a difference between the 2? The M1000 Monster Cable vs. 1000 HD Ultimate Monster cable. I know the M series is a better cable but is it really worth the extra money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Neither are worth the money and both are ripoffs on a criminal level.

Purchase HDMI cables from Blue Jeans or Monoprice and avoid the Monster Cable scam.
post #3 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Neither are worth the money and both are ripoffs on a criminal level.

Purchase HDMI cables from Blue Jeans or Monoprice and avoid the Monster Cable scam.

That my be true but will the other 2 company guarantee that there cables wont go obsolete. Monster does on the HDMI higher end cables, at least thats what Ive read on there web sight and a local dealer told me that.
post #4 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Liked: 23
I don't have a problem with monster cables, but their marketing is pure snake oil. Rating HDMI by "120hz" or "240hz" ....please, give me a break
Of course they can guarantee that their cables wont go obsolete, because the price you paid for one of those they can afford to send you 1000 more if something happens to it.....and still make quite the profit!
I see on the website for their Ultimate "If you ever the need Ethernet over HDMI functionality, Monster will upgrade your cable" to HDMI 1.4. Wow, that so nice of them to do considering they just over charged you by 1000% in the first place

Just do some basic research before you buy into the monster BS. Monoprice or BlueJeansCable sell just as good for so much less.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice HDMI 1.3a 6ft. cable: $4.09

Monster 1000HD 2m cable: $78.62 (And this is the low-low price that Amazon will only show you if you have the item in your shopping cart.)

$75 is a pretty hefty premium to pay for "obsolete-proof" cables.
post #6 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I hear what u guys are saying. Do u think its a marketing thing. to where on Monsters packaging they say 600 series capable of 8 bit color 5.1 audio etc... on to 1000hd saying 15.2mbs 7.1 of loseless audio 16 bit color, x.v. color etc... So the ones from monoprice are just as good and will do everything that any of Monsters cables say they will do?
post #7 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI cables must be certified before they can use the HDMI logo. Any cables certified 1.3 will have all the capabilities required of that spec- 1080p, 7.1 channel lossless audio, etc.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotp94 View Post

I hear what u guys are saying. Do u think its a marketing thing. to where on Monsters packaging they say 600 series capable of 8 bit color 5.1 audio etc... on to 1000hd saying 15.2mbs 7.1 of loseless audio 16 bit color, x.v. color etc... So the ones from monoprice are just as good and will do everything that any of Monsters cables say they will do?

The high end cables certainly look nice and they may have better connectors.....but the differences generally end there.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #9 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
There are so many snarky things that I could post in this thread, but I'll refrain...

Seriously, go with monoprice or BJC. 99% of my cables in my dedicated 7.2 front projection room and my 5.1 family room setups are from monoprice, and I'm enjoying discrete pristine 1080p/24 and 5.1/7.1 signals just fine on both my systems. Seriously, the only non-Monoprice cables that I can think of are my RCA interconnects between my Onkyo 805 and Sunfire Cinema Grand amp in my family room setup that were from Outlaw Audio, and that's only because I was in a hurry (they were in stock; monoprice's weren't).

Monster is the posterboy for the worst kind of snake oil + marketing in the A/V world. Yes, their cables work just fine, but so do mine at 1/15th the cost.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #10 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. After reading on monoprice and Blue Jean cables web sights. I will be buying from monoprice. Cannot believe how cheap everything is. I guess that why it makes u leary, like something isnt right. I read something on Blue jean cables that explained how the cables work.
Im even getting my walmount for a 65" plasma from there 32$. Amazon $120. WOW what a difference. Getting 3 HDMI cables, wall mount and a 25' subwofer cable all for 75$. It would have cost me 400-500 on amazon.
post #11 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You do know why stores like BestBuy push Monster cables so heavily-because the margins are several million percent.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotp94 View Post

That my be true but will the other 2 company guarantee that there cables wont go obsolete. Monster does on the HDMI higher end cables, at least thats what Ive read on there web sight and a local dealer told me that.

Well, if you read it on the web, and a dealer told you, it MUST BE TRUE!
Seriously, just buy the monoprice ones and be happy. If they go 'obsolete" buy another one! You will be up to HDMI spec 9.2 before you will ever spend as much as the original Monster Cable cost!
Now, I am assuming you are paying close to store retail. If you find the monster ones at closeout for $4-$5 like I sometimes do, then go for them because...well...they are prettier than monoprice ones. Although the red 1" cable I use from my oppo to my receiver always gets someone to ask about it...
I tell them it is "special" and it is...because it is red and my other cables are black......
Chris
post #13 of 36 Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

because it is red and my other cables are black......

That's what I like about Monoprice, I color code all my cables.

BD player: Blue
Cable DVR: White
Vudu: Purple
XBox 360: Green
AVR->TV: Black
post #14 of 36 Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

That's what I like about Monoprice, I color code all my cables.

BD player: Blue
Cable DVR: White
Vudu: Purple
XBox 360: Green
AVR->TV: Black

Back of your av rack must look like a rainbow! Mine looks like a serpents nest with one lone red HDMI cable. Funny thing is that is the only one I had at the time and now since everyone comments on it I just leave it there...
post #15 of 36 Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked: 16
I agree, I have six components require HDMI cables so I went all out and purchased six Monster M series at 169$ a piece costing me $1100 in just cables. I built a theater room and I put nothing but the best as far as components go, 82" 3D LED, Harmon Kardon AVR 3600 All 5 HDMI are connected through the AVR 3600 and and the AVR 3600 has an output to the TV, So the HDMI goes to the input PS4, XBOX One,, HDMI TV, 3D Blue ray player and into the Harmon Kardon for updates. I wont add on anymore because it gets so damn expensive..Take Care
post #16 of 36 Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
You do realize that you responded to a 4 year old thread. If you spent $1100 on "M" cables alone, you got ripped.
Osirus23 likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

You do realize that you responded to a 4 year old thread. If you spent $1100 on "M" cables alone, you got ripped.

what did the guy that was running that side show say, something about one being born every minute.
post #18 of 36 Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

biggrin.gif
post #19 of 36 Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 AM

I bought my cables from Best Buy and they guaranteed that these are the fastest Gigabyte HDMI cables to purchase for 3D and for the XBOX One to handle the face to face talking and being able to handle that it is handle anything I throw at it. So I believe I got the right cables with lifetime warranty. The cheap cables cannot handle 3D because of how much data that needs to be passed through the cable. I have a 3D TV and an Upgrade able Harmon Kardon 3600 that upgrades all of my TC channels to 1080P plus my PS4 and Xbox One got the best cables on the market. 21.9GBPS. If I had a DVD hook up to a TV yes the $6 cables will work but I have a $6000 theater room and Im going with the best I can so I can fully use my components like they were made to be used..
post #20 of 36 Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ one word. Actually two words.. B.S.

ANY certified high speed HDMI cable (passive) meets or exceeds all current specs needed for 3D tv (fwtw). You can purchase said cables from Monoprice, MediaBridge, Blue Jeans, etc and not get ripped off for price like you will for the "M" brand. See post #17. Andy, where are you frown.gif
post #21 of 36 Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Zigger21

I hope Best Buy and Monster have you on their Christmas Card list – they must love your business!

Remove the expensive packaging and marketing BS and your HDMI cables likely shipped from mainland China for around $5/m.

There is nothing ‘special’ about any of your Source devices that any $6 High Speed Certified cable will not handle - http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

You AVR doesn’t magically ‘upgrade’ your Source signal – instead its applies video up-conversion, just as your 3D capable LED-lit LCD would do and there may be an argument for leaving the AVR set to HDMI Passthru and let the TV do the up-conversion.

Your TV will likely have the ability to store multiple settings based on the format of the signal being Input so you/your calibrator (you did have it calibrated?) can save multiple ‘optimised’ settings for each Source device - if you up-convert' in the AVR all Sources are seen as one signal so you have no way to adjust for color/brightness inaccuracies in the Source without constantly fiddling with the TV remote/menus.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #22 of 36 Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigger21 View Post

...21.9GBPS...
There is no industry standard for this speed rating, so we have no idea what it actually means. The HDMI licensing organization actually prohibits speed ratings like this because they are meaningless. The only rating that is meaningful is the length at which the cable certifies high speed at an Authorized Testing Center (ATC). None of the Monster cables certifies high speed at longer than 25' unless something has changed since the last time I looked. There are many other less expensive cables that certify high speed at 25'. That would indicate that they are functionally equivalent to the Monster cables.

BD 3D is 1080p24, which requires less bandwidth than 2D 1080p60. Even 1080p60 3D is within the bandwidth of any high speed HDMI cable.
post #23 of 36 Old 02-17-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I think zigger21 is suffering from buyer's remorse and wants to justify his purchase because he didn't do his homework and just took what the BB salesperson had to say as gospel.
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #24 of 36 Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:

I bought my cables from Best Buy and they guaranteed that these are the fastest Gigabyte HDMI cables to purchase
They are high speed rated, so yes they are 'the fastest'. They just aren't faster than any other high-speed rated cable.

That's marketing 101. They aren't fastER than any other cable, they just carry the 'fastEST' rating. Which is high speed HDMI. This rating is supported by thousands of other HDMI cables out there, which are also the 'fastest'.

As for lifetime warranty, that's a joke. You get a lifetime warranty from dozens of different manufacturers for far less money.

Since you have no idea what a $6.00 cable actually looks like when carrying your HDMI signal, you should perhaps buy one, hook it up, ask someone ELSE to spot the difference between the cables, then be ready with a receipt since you overpaid.

Let the buyer beware.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #25 of 36 Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought my cables from Best Buy and they guaranteed that these are the fastest Gigabyte HDMI cables to purchase for 3D and for the XBOX One to handle the face to face talking and being able to handle that it is handle anything I throw at it. So I believe I got the right cables with lifetime warranty. The cheap cables cannot handle 3D because of how much data that needs to be passed through the cable. I have a 3D TV and an Upgrade able Harmon Kardon 3600 that upgrades all of my TC channels to 1080P plus my PS4 and Xbox One got the best cables on the market. 21.9GBPS. If I had a DVD hook up to a TV yes the $6 cables will work but I have a $6000 theater room and Im going with the best I can so I can fully use my components like they were made to be used..

Please don't repeat Best Buy marketing lies as scientific fact.
post #26 of 36 Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM

Liked: 19
Let me tell a little story of my experience trying to get into the retail sales market..

Many years ago (20+) I applied for a job at a now bankrupt store like BB. I was given a 100 question test.. the entire test was the same questions asked over and over again.. just worded differently.. all the questions revolved around "how well can you screw the customer". Upon completing the test, I was given a face to face interview. The person giving me the interview asked what brands of ink jet printers I preferred. I told him Epson and HP and I preferred Epson. He said they were both excellent printers, but they pushed people into buying Canon printers. The reason was they had a higher profit margin and got more of a kickback from Canon on each printer they sold (vs. Epson or HP). Another item brought up was how would I determine what someone needed computer wise. I said I would ask what they intended to do with the computer and politely ask what their budget was. From there I would help choose a system to meet their needs, while not going over their budget.

That was a wrong answer as well. He said the goal was to gain their trust, and sell them the most expensive system we could. Funny thing was the 100 question test had a lot of questions touching on exactly that..

Needless to say I didn't get the job.. when applying at another big store like that, I was told I was too smart to work for them and would make everyone else look bad..

$6k theater room.. Umm.. I know a lot of us have more than that invested in just the projector alone and are using either BJC or Monoprice cables just fine. I happen to be running BJC cables in my theater and have never had any issues...

Really hate seeing people being taken by Monster Cables..
post #27 of 36 Old 02-27-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, $6k on a home theater doesn't mean much when you find out 18% of that was being swindled for Monster cables by a salesman.
post #28 of 36 Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Last time I spent $1,100 on cabling was before I wired my entire home.

Not sure I actually was able to spend $1,100 on all the wiring in fact.

Ridiculous.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #29 of 36 Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure If I spent $1100 on HDMI cables the package would have to be unloaded by a forklift.
post #30 of 36 Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Monoprice HDMI 1.3a 6ft. cable: $4.09

Monster 1000HD 2m cable: $78.62 (And this is the low-low price that Amazon will only show you if you have the item in your shopping cart.)

$75 is a pretty hefty premium to pay for "obsolete-proof" cables.
I have the PS4 and the XBOX one along with a movie theater room. The room is encased with Cerwin Vega Subs with 10 and one 15" powered sub and Cerwin front speakers with 2 12, Also" four surround rear Infinity back speakers, and four side speakers is 2 8" subs and 6" tweeter and the rest of the my eight speakers are infinity speakers. I did not go cheap at all on the components. I bought 5 Monster M series 1000 and has a Rate of with a 21.6 GBPS. on my XBOX ONE,, PS4, Hi def CABLE, HDMI completing my connecting it all to my 82" 3d TV.I didnt think it mattered so I took my HDMI from the X Box one, PS4, from my HDTV HDMI and my HDMI from the 3d Blue ray Player along with my Monster cable and he tested them on a oscilloscope and an HDMI tester and the PS4 HDMI gave out a 11.0 GPS rate and the Xbox one had a 14.5 GBPS and then I tested mt $169. on the HDMI tester and it tested 26.5GSPS even more than the box said so I'm glad I bought and installed 7 Monster M1 series- I bought them at Best Buy for 189.99 a piece I took it in the shorts on the M1 cables that is way too muchfor HDMI going to and the best is the best and thats one (ut at least I know I have the best HDMI) cables
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page