Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there different sizes of HDMI connections for

or are they all the same Size connectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
There are four different types of HDMI connector, Type A through D. The connectors don't necessarily have anything to do with the version of HDMI a cable or device complies with. The 19 pin connector we normally think of as an HDMI connector is Type A. And that is what will be on any HDMI cable you buy unless something else is specifically called out.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The newest specs allow for a micro HDMI connector and ethernet connectivity and or two way communication. I do not believe all previous cables used all of the pins and functionality of the 19 pins available.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post

I do not believe all previous cables used all of the pins and functionality of the 19 pins available.

On this, really the only issue is that Ethernet pair you mentioned; otherwise, all HDMI cables of all versions should be structurally identical inside.

However, I have heard rumors now and then that in the early days of HDMI there were some cable manufacturers who put 18-conductor stock in their HDMI cables, leaving out the connection on the one pin that was reserved for future use. Such a cable would never have passed HDMI testing, which has always required that all conductors be present, but of course it's possible someone might have made such cables unbeknownst to HDMI Licensing, and because the conductor was not used they would have worked fine (and would still be working fine). As I say, these are rumors--I haven't ever yet seen an actual 18-wire HDMI cable stock, but it certainly might have been done by somebody looking to save a bit.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
post #5 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Kurt:

Sadly we have seen 18 wire cables, we have even seen cables where a single ground was shared over all video channels (hmmmmm, that changes the entire topography).

Buy your product from a company that can provide documents of certification.

Brent McCall
Not A Dealer
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Wow...a single shared ground--that I had never heard of. Obviously a cable like that couldn't pass certification, but of course that wouldn't stop some people from claiming certification when they didn't have it...
post #7 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBJC View Post

On this, really the only issue is that Ethernet pair you mentioned; otherwise, all HDMI cables of all versions should be structurally identical inside.

However, I have heard rumors now and then that in the early days of HDMI there were some cable manufacturers who put 18-conductor stock in their HDMI cables, leaving out the connection on the one pin that was reserved for future use. Such a cable would never have passed HDMI testing, which has always required that all conductors be present, but of course it's possible someone might have made such cables unbeknownst to HDMI Licensing, and because the conductor was not used they would have worked fine (and would still be working fine). As I say, these are rumors--I haven't ever yet seen an actual 18-wire HDMI cable stock, but it certainly might have been done by somebody looking to save a bit.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

As always, thanks for the info....

I always wonder though...any goof could buy the HDMI parts, construct cables and sell them. Who is to say the cables adhere to the specifications? I see plenty of 'crap' manufactured for the commercial/industrial power users which should not be allowed. I am speaking of a totally different group here, but it happens regularly.

What are your thoughts?

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page