wyrestorm, are they any good - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
saw a link there on this site and saw that they sell hdmi cabes(24awg & lifetime warrenty)) for a whopping $40, are they better than monoprice or another "snakeoil" seller like mon$ter

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it's pretty much impossible to tell anything about the product. They're not the manufacturer, and they're not an HDMI Adopter; you could write to them to see whether the cable stock is Copartner, LTK, or what-have-you, and that would help you figure out what other products are the same or similar. In order to know whether the cable is actually compliant, and at what category, you'd want to see their ATC certificates.

I note, in looking at their description, that the description conflicts with the diagram. They mention having triple-layer high-density copper shielding, but the diagram shows only an aluminum foil on mylar shield with aluminum drain wire. This in itself doesn't mean much, but it does suggest that they're not very familiar with their own product. They refer also to the cable being "24 AWG or 26 AWG rated," which is an odd thing to say. Wire gage is not the subject of any "rating"--it's just a measurement of wire cross-sectional area. So, my guess would be that these guys do not particularly know anything about cable construction--at least, the fellow who wrote that didn't--and this is fairly typical for HDMI cable vendors.

Kurt
HDMI Cable at Blue Jeans Cable
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Also very typical of tech writers and ad writers...
post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 AM

I work for WyreStorm and I would like to take a moment to point out that we are a new company (little over a year old now) and that we have done very well in our endeavor to become a viable brand. Our team goes out of our way to never bash the competition and strive to make our products as best as possible. I would also like to point out we are not just a typical HDMI cable provider, we provide all things HDMI up to a 16x16 matrix device. To answer the original post, yes they are good. Our cables work very well. We look at things that affect the digital world in our cables, many companies play a bandwidth game not understanding what their cables do to affect the DDC channel on the source. As for the response from Kurt, never tested his stuff and I am sure it is the same with him and testing us. I make no claim to know anything about his product and don't care to. I have not been to his website and do not plan to. I have no critique of his descriptions either. I will tell you our site could use some improvement and we are doing that as we speak. We are concentrating on building our brand and not getting in a pissing match on a forum. If one of you would like to make a comparison, please do! I would suggest a longer cable (10m or so) most other cables have issues at this distance. I would look at the effect of the DDC channel with a oscilloscope and save the construction critique for if they don't work!

As for our origin, we are based in Memphis TN and of course our cables are made in China, so are most things out there. We would love to make the entire cable here, but that is not economically feasible At this point in time. As for who we use to build our cable, that is up to the engineers and management. We have to be competitive in the marketplace, provide a quality cable and never resort to blasting competitors as a marketing campaign. If we were resorting to using blasting a competitor as a basis for our technical superiority, I think we should be suspect in any response that I made in a forum. That being said, the cables are a small portion of what we do. As mentioned above, we are a complete solutions company and provide all things HDMI all the way up to a 16x16 matrix device (and it works good too!) We are marketed through independent integrators and control our distribution. This is what I can tell you about us. If you want more information on us, call us! Our number is 877-HDMIWYRE My email is richard@wyrestorm.com. I hope this helps clear the air!
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Nobody bashed your company's product, or for that matter even addressed its performance. The only thing that was panned was some of the copy on the site. And in that aspect, your company is far from alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKwas View Post

I have not been to his website and do not plan to.

You ought to take a look. It is the most informative site on the web about cables. It would seem just plain stupid to ignore it. Maybe you could learn something about how to market cables.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Yea I would agree - Wyrestorm you are being a bit over-reactive to your competitor's post. Perhaps you should directly address what he pointed out, about how your diagrams don't match your product descriptions or claims.
And since we're talk about you now, can you share any information on your matrix product, and what makes it different from Atlona or Intellix matrix switches?
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKwas View Post

I work for WyreStorm and I would like to take a moment to point out that we are a new company (little over a year old now) and that we have done very well in our endeavor to become a viable brand. Our team goes out of our way to never bash the competition and strive to make our products as best as possible. I would also like to point out we are not “just a typical HDMI cable provider”, we provide all things HDMI up to a 16x16 matrix device. To answer the original post, yes they are good. Our cables work very well. We look at things that affect the digital world in our cables, many companies play a “bandwidth” game not understanding what their cables do to affect the DDC channel on the source. As for the response from Kurt, never tested his stuff and I am sure it is the same with him and testing us. I make no claim to know anything about his product and don't care to. I have not been to his website and do not plan to. I have no critique of his descriptions either. I will tell you our site could use some improvement and we are doing that as we speak. We are concentrating on building our brand and not getting in a pissing match on a forum. If one of you would like to make a comparison, please do! I would suggest a longer cable (10m or so) most other cables have issues at this distance. I would look at the effect of the DDC channel with a oscilloscope and save the construction critique for if they don’t work!

As for our origin, we are based in Memphis TN and of course our cables are made in China, so are most things out there. We would love to make the entire cable here, but that is not economically feasible At this point in time. As for who we use to build our cable, that is up to the engineers and management. We have to be competitive in the marketplace, provide a quality cable and never resort to blasting competitors as a marketing campaign. If we were resorting to using blasting a competitor as a basis for our technical superiority, I think we should be suspect in any response that I made in a forum. That being said, the cables are a small portion of what we do. As mentioned above, we are a complete solutions company and provide all things HDMI all the way up to a 16x16 matrix device (and it works good too!) We are marketed through independent integrators and control our distribution. This is what I can tell you about us. If you want more information on us, call us! Our number is 877-HDMIWYRE My email is richard@wyrestorm.com. I hope this helps clear the air!

Wonderful response, except for one little item...The original post was indeed on March 26th but it was in 2010. So, as those of us who have written press releases and responded to press issues before know, you've only got a certain small amount of time to respond. After that, you're just resurrecting old issues and bringing them back to light.

Of course, an even better response would have included an actual explanation to what has been pointed out. And, suggesting a comparison at 10m (approximately 30 feet) indicates that you're talking about standard speed cabling which is become less and less of a concern for most people. 10m of high speed cabling would almost certainly be outside of the HDMI high speed certification limits. Are your high speed cables HDMI certified for 10m of distance?

But, thanks for bringing this dead issue up again.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page