HDMI 1.4 with ethernet channel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure how to explain this properly, but I have a samsung tv un55c8000 and samsung blu ray c69000 that supports 1.4 and both have an ethernet connection.

anyways, my question is since both has an ethernet connection, do i just need to connect one of them to the internet and use a hdmi 1.4 cable so both will work with the internet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
First, there is no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable and never will be. There are standard speed cables, with or without ethernet, and high speed cables, with or without ethernet.

If the HDMI ports on both devices are labeled "HEC" then they support ethernet over HDMI. If not, you will have to check the documentation of both devices to see if they support HDMI over ethernet. If they do, then you should be able to connect one to your network and have the other connect via the HDMI cable. You may or may not have to change some settings on one or both of the devices.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, currently i have high speed without ethernet as i check the connectors and the slot is empty. it seems like there's limited places to but the newer hdmi w/ ethernet
post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Looking at the BD-C6900 specs at samsung.com I don't see any indication that its supports Ethernet channel. It's described as being a 1.3 HDMI output and the manual does not mention Ethernet channel at all. Are you sure you're not getting confused with Samsung's "AnyNet" feature?

I've tried looking for that display and can't find that model number--but I've yet to see a display hit the market with the Ethernet channel.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBJC View Post

Looking at the BD-C6900 specs at samsung.com I don't see any indication that its supports Ethernet channel. It's described as being a 1.3 HDMI output and the manual does not mention Ethernet channel at all. Are you sure you're not getting confused with Samsung's "AnyNet" feature?

I've tried looking for that display and can't find that model number--but I've yet to see a display hit the market with the Ethernet channel.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

come to think about it, i believe you are correct kurt - i did a little more research on the player and even on the tv, it mentions "HDMI-CEC". thanks for pointing that out!

do you recommend going to 1.4 cables for my new set-up or stay with the 1.3 high-speed/cat2? i will have the UN55C8000 and C6900 blu-ray.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI - There is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable.

I don't anticipate seeing this Ethernet over HDMI coming together soon, as it is an optional feature that HDMI adopters are not required to support. Here's a picture of how they envision the functionality on the www.hdmi.org website:

Your monitor effectively becomes your ethernet switch/router for the attached devices. No word on whether or not they want the manufacturer to include a DHCP server, or how NAT and port forwarding are being handled. It is not very appealing, as all it adds is another level of complexity and increased costs to your HDMI devices. Do you really think a company is going to produce something like a Blu-ray player, Vudu, Netfix, Tivo, Roku, or any othery type of home entertainment device with support for online functionality and only support Ethernet over HDMI? No way are they going to drop the direct connect RJ45 port from those internet appliances. That redundant Ethernet/Internet access hardware is going to cost the consumer $$$ with no increased functionality.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #7 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

nded: I completely agree with your assessment. I do not expect to see much, if any, implementation of HDMI Ethernet.

armoredsaint: as nded says, there's no such thing as a 1.4 cable. If you're using high-speed cables certified under 1.3, they also meet the high-speed criteria under 1.4 because nothing changed from one version to the other in terms of cable speed rating.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
post #8 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBJC View Post

nded: I completely agree with your assessment. I do not expect to see much, if any, implementation of HDMI Ethernet.

armoredsaint: as nded says, there's no such thing as a 1.4 cable. If you're using high-speed cables certified under 1.3, they also meet the high-speed criteria under 1.4 because nothing changed from one version to the other in terms of cable speed rating.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

sorry, i just confused from companies selling 1.4 cables as you mentioned there is no such thing, but it looks like i am good to go with my 1.3!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM

What are the new cables that have been introduced as part of HDMI 1.4?
HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality adds a new data channel, so new cables are required to support Ethernet connectivity. These two new cable types are Standard HDMI with Ethernet and High Speed HDMI with Ethernet, with the former supporting resolutions up to 1080i/720p, and the latter built for resolutions of 1080p or higher. Both cable types support a full-duplex 100 Mb/sec Ethernet connection (HDMI.org)

I think this is where some of the confusion comes in, cables with ethernet are needed to support the capabilities of HDMI 1.4 but they are not called 1.4 cables as others have pointed out. HDMI is such fun!
post #10 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
According to Home Theater Magazine (August 2010), Silicon Image is offering two chipsets that support HDMI Ethernet Channel so it may start appearing in gear later this year.

Also in reference to a posting above - per hdmi.org: "HDMI Licensing has strongly recommended that Adopters label all HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled HDMI ports with the letters "HEC" for easy identification, but does not require manufacturers to do so."
post #11 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin68 View Post

I think this is where some of the confusion comes in, cables with ethernet are needed to support the capabilities of HDMI 1.4 but they are not called 1.4 cables as others have pointed out. HDMI is such fun!

Yeah, but bear in mind that they're needed only to support the Ethernet feature. All other features, protocols, framerates, et cetera, et cetera, are unchanged and existing cables will support them. A pre-1.4 cable is 1.4 compliant; it's just not an Ethernet-type cable. A post-1.4 cable may or may not be an Ethernet-type cable. The reason it's confusing to call the cable by the version number, in part, is that people assume that a device or cable supports all features which the stated version provides for, and that's not true--just as a DVD player may be certified under 1.4 but lack support for new audio formats supported by 1.4, a cable may be certified under 1.4 but lack the Ethernet channel.

In particular, for some reason we have found that a lot of people think they need Ethernet-type HDMI cables to support 3D. This is completely incorrect, and results from people assuming that the "version number" of the cable denotes what features it will support.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World