Take on a Monster Rep - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, so I am a Best Buy employee, and I've just been informed that on April 25th my Home Theatre Department will be getting Monster training from our local Monster rep.
I would like to take this opportunity to grill the rep with tough questions about what makes their products so much better. I personally think that their cables are no better than the stuff you can buy online.
If anybody has some good ideas for questions (legitimate questions please) I could ask the rep that would be great. The last rep we had quit his job after trying to train my department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 AM

Liked: 14
Is there a purpose to this? Or is your aim to make another human feel miserable and quit his job too, for no good reason I can fathom?

Perhaps your righteousness would be better utilized for a situation where there are actual victims and actual harm, rather than attempting to victimize someone who in all likelihood may simply be working at a job that they were lucky enough to find and hold onto so they could provide for their family.

Keep in mind that people might just do the same kind of thing to you, you being a BBY smurf, because they might get kicks out of showing you how stupid you are and that you don't know anything and are selling junk to idiot consumers who don't know any better. Or, in reality, maybe you simply try to do a good job at a position that you have some pride in regardless of what else you might envision for your future. Perhaps the Monster rep is in a similar boat, and perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge them in an effort to make them have so miserable a day that they would want to quit. Seems pretty callous to me.

I don't see people living on the streets because they spent the last of their money on boutique cabling. You know as well as I do that BBY doesn't make their money selling TVs. It's all the ancillary high margin junk like Monster that keeps YOUR paycheck rolling in.

If people didn't want to shell out money for deluxe junk, we wouldn't HAVE an economy.

There are things in the world worth getting upset about. Sometimes a little perspective on what those things really are is warranted.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 08:16 AM

WOW. I have to say that one thing I like about Monster cables or surge protectors is that they have a lifetime warranty. At anytime if the cable is defective or something happens to it, Monster will replace it with no questions asked.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 PM

I'd just clarify with the Monster guy how much of a kickback you'll get, and how fast you can expect the checks.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
I think a fair question would be to ask how each of Monster's HDMI cables is better than a monoprice cable. You might learn something. FWIW Monster's HDMI cables are fine products. What is wrong with them for me is the price. OTOH the higher price gives your employer a better margin to help keep them in business and allows them to cut prices on other things to stay competitive. As an employee, your loyalty should be to your employer. They want you to learn how to sell the product. If you aren't interested in doing that, you should probably be working somewhere else.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 AM

I completely agree with the statements above. If you feel that in your righteousness you would like to somehow belittle the Monster Rep in the presence of all the other staff members, then you should not need assistance gathering questions.

If you truly feel that your knowledge is at a level to know that the cables on Monoprice are of equal quality to Monster Cable then what do you want to achieve with the Monster Rep?

There are many things that can be sought after online or at wholesale prices that are far cheaper than retail outlets. Let's not forget the Boutique brands, these cables can be priced up to tens of thousands of dollars! These prices make Monster look like a budget range.

Also, you need to ask yourself what job you really want to do. If you know feel that by working at Best Buy you are charging too much for cables and this is morally wrong for you then don't do it. However, are you still valuable enough for your employer and can you sustain enough income by not doing this?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 09:56 AM

I agree with you ZuprQB17. I don't see how a cable that carries a digital signal could benefit from all the bells and whistles that were put onto older analog cables. I have a 25 foot HDMI that i think i paid $25-$30 and it works perfect.
I am curious about the data rates they claim on the monster cables.
I would ask the rep to see raw data from a test done with a 3D TV with a generic HDMI and a Monster Cable.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemccann123 View Post

I agree with you ZuprQB17. I don't see how a cable that carries a digital signal could benefit from all the bells and whistles that were put onto older analog cables. I have a 25 foot HDMI that i think i paid $25-$30 and it works perfect.
I am curious about the data rates they claim on the monster cables.
I would ask the rep to see raw data from a test done with a 3D TV with a generic HDMI and a Monster Cable.

It's all about bandwidth. And yes some cables are better than others, just not necessarily in ways that you need or care about based on you application. For a 6' cable, it most likely doesn't matter, but when you're talking 1080P over longer runs, it does come into play. In addition you want to make sure that the cable has enough bandwidth for any future applications. Audioholics actually did a test a while back. Link is below.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...esting-results

I'm not saying go out an buy the most expensive cable you find, as that doesn't always translate into quality, but don't use the cheapest either. Especially if this in going into a wall.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page