HDMI Switch for Multiple Inputs and Outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Am looking to do the following with my AV setup and am in need of an HDMI switch:

Am hoping that I can get the following in such a switch:

- HDMI 1.3a support
- Simultaneous output to the AV Receiver and the Future 1080p LCD
- Multiple input resolution support (e..g, 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)
- DTS HD; 7.1 Audio Support
- Minimal cable run (no more than 15 feet in total)
- Automatic INPUT switching based on whether the device is on or not - would prefer to not have to manually switch with a remote control

Item that is being considered is this from Monoprice 4x2 High-Speed Matrix Switch: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Now, it doesn't appear to automatically perform the switching of the inputs. Is there such an item out there, or does it not make sense for whatever reason? Am a newbie to these sort of things.

If one has to settle for an IR-based switch, are you able to pair it easily to a universal remote? e.g., Harmony 880

Thanks for the help/guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Are you looking to output to both displays at the same time or just be able to switch between the two?

Cleanest option would be to just upgrade your receiver to one with dual HDMI output. My Integra 9.8 supports this, and although I can't run both outputs simultaneously, some of the newer models can. That's the cleanest solution and also allows for full control.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoz01 View Post

Are you looking to output to both displays at the same time or just be able to switch between the two?

Cleanest option would be to just upgrade your receiver to one with dual HDMI output. My Integra 9.8 supports this, and although I can't run both outputs simultaneously, some of the newer models can. That's the cleanest solution and also allows for full control.

Yes - definitely. My SR-705 is about 2 years old; hate to give this AV Receiver up as it's a fantastic unit. Understand your point, and it's well-taken.

Is there anything such as automatic switching in HDMI switches? In researching the Monoprice ones; appears that they tried to 'ship one that did it or it was a feature that was inconsistent in performance/buggy.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
HDMI is a touch cookie. Most of the custom guys hate it. There are always a lot of handshake issues when you're adding more links into the chain. There are a lot of products out there, but only a handful that are bulletproof. It's a tough pill to swallow, but you'll end up with less headaches going that route.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I replaced the Monoprice HDX-402E 4x2 matrix switcher with this switcher and everything works great now. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-matrix-switch.html Check out the specs, but ignore the $124.00 price. The switcher is made by Apogee and sells at places like B&H photo for $84.00 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features as a Kanex switcher.

The company that makes it is Apogee, but they sell it to other companies to re-brand and sell http://www.apogeeinc.net/

The switcher has a built in HDMI signal booster/EQ too and it works great, It's a 4x2 true matrix switcher that displays on both sets at the same time or you can mix and match the outputs.

BTW my setup is similar as your as far as outputs go:
Output "A" = Pioneer VSX-92TXH Receiver --> Mitsubishi HC3800 projector
Output "B" = Toshiba 40" LCD TV

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World